Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hadlock posted:

The Snapdragon 820 is the minimum spec for daydream, so that's something. 70hz makes sense, as you're pushing the displays with a cell phone GPU. Google's daydream capable phones use the 821 model, not sure what the difference is though.

Not quite, technically the Nexus 6P with the 810 is capable of Daydream as well (though they are saying it now is regulated to "Dev Device") but the main kicker seems to be having Vulkan/OGLES3.1 and an AMOLED screen.

On a side note, I am returning my HTC 10 test device, but something else is coming down the pipe from them to test soo..... Hoping it might be something related to Pixels in some way... :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I got into that V demo. It's kind of buggy and crash prone right now, but cool when it works! These were taken by screenshotting the mirrored image on my monitor since the game screenshot wouldn't capture it, so they look a little crap. The browser screen was perfectly readable in game (plus I could blow it up bigger).

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

StarkRavingMad posted:

I got into that V demo. It's kind of buggy and crash prone right now, but cool when it works! These were taken by screenshotting the mirrored image on my monitor since the game screenshot wouldn't capture it, so they look a little crap. The browser screen was perfectly readable in game (plus I could blow it up bigger).

Oh hey, looks like I got in as well. I'll have to play with it when I get some time later this weekend.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

Not quite, technically the Nexus 6P with the 810 is capable of Daydream as well (though they are saying it now is regulated to "Dev Device") but the main kicker seems to be having Vulkan/OGLES3.1 and an AMOLED screen

It's technically capable, but does not meet thermal dissipation requirements. Not sure if this is strictly a chip issue or a phone design issue or somewhere in the middle. I mean technically my 2013 first gen moto X will do Google cardboard but that's not saying much.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

My bet would be that it's a little of both, but mostly the former. The Snapdragon 810 was kind of notorious for overheating, but manufacturers were able to work around it to a degree with design that took it into account (Sony Xperia Z5), and there were also revisions of the chip that lessened the issue (OnePlus 2). It makes sense that they wouldn't certify the 810 categorically since you can't count on everything with an 810 in it to meet the requirements.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A knockoff Vive is coming out.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

That literally looks like they took the internals of the vive out of the vive and lighthouses and put it into their own casings.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For all we know, that's what the factory is doing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SlayVus posted:

That literally looks like they took the internals of the vive out of the vive and lighthouses and put it into their own casings.

(they did this)

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I actually like that casing.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
How.. is this the same as knock-off handbags and clothes? The lax copyright\trademark laws or enforcement lets it happen?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Tony Montana posted:

How.. is this the same as knock-off handbags and clothes? The lax copyright\trademark laws or enforcement lets it happen?

No Why

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
My buddy got a free vive for his job and it's pretty amazing. Room scale and motion control made it into more than just a gimmick like the rift.

Tony Montana posted:

You don't get magical protection from competition just by making a thing. Htc has no patents in VR.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
How do you protect your poo poo from criminals? Hire a samurai.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
There are no patents? Wouldn't that usually be the first stop on bring a new tech to market?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
So what's what on the rift gaming front?

I tried eve valkyrie, but everyone I get matched against is either a bot, or I'm literally the best player I've encountered so far. (This means everyone is a bot, you see).

Are there any goon-favorites at the moment, or anything multiplayer that is decent?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Tony Montana posted:

There are no patents? Wouldn't that usually be the first stop on bring a new tech to market?

It would be if they invented it, and htc is a heavy patent filling company for their mobile stuff. I'm guessing they didn't invent anything here. I looked it up and apparently valve owns a lot of vr patents including lighthouse tech. I assume valve is not enforcing those as they want as many companies making VR peripherals as possible.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Nothing really on the Rift until December

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zo posted:

It would be if they invented it, and htc is a heavy patent filling company for their mobile stuff. I'm guessing they didn't invent anything here. I looked it up and apparently valve owns a lot of vr patents including lighthouse tech. I assume valve is not enforcing those as they want as many companies making VR peripherals as possible.

And it's is a good thing. Tech patents are a big pile of bs.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Ah well, I will just have to make do with what is available.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Zo posted:

The two HMDs work fundamentally differently too, as I'm sure everyone here knows. I would have thought HTC would patent their version and Valve patent theirs, both as discrete technologies for tracking.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
For all we know, they could have communicated about the use of whatever patents that are.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

McGiggins posted:

I tried eve valkyrie, but everyone I get matched against is either a bot, or I'm literally the best player I've encountered so far. (This means everyone is a bot, you see).

Are there any goon-favorites at the moment, or anything multiplayer that is decent?
If you are just asking about Rift games in general, Chronos is really good. The Climb is good, even just with a controller, but a free Touch update is coming out this fall for motion controls. Minecraft is apparently cool and good and free if you already own the java version and have Win10. PinballFX is surprisingly awesome and I've probably put the most amount of time into that game, and I've never been a pinball fan. Damaged Core is an extremely polished game, hectic and fun, but it has some caveats (head aiming for shooting, teleportation based movement, I went into more detail earlier in the thread.) Blazerush is GREAT. The MP is insanely fun, and all Rift owners should get it. Darknet is a neat puzzle game that's pretty fun too. I also enjoyed Dead Secret a lot, if you are into adventure games. In all honesty most of the Rift exclusive games are pretty great, although I didn't really like Edge of Nowhere too much, but I can see why other people would.

edit: Of course Elite Dangerous too. Probably the best VR experience to date, imo, even if it's not the best game in the world.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 5, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

McGiggins posted:

Theres also plenty of hours length fare and 'experiences', and several sims: Elite Dangerous, Subnautica, that goon made space game, Project Cars I think. Also i love the design of that Vive clone, going to jump for one if it turns out to work as well

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah I forgot about P.Cars and Assetto Corsa, those are both great in VR. Also the Solus Project is a pretty cool survival/exploration game that you can turn off the survival aspects if you want, but the VR support is still being worked on and there are some issues that may or may not affect your enjoyment, mostly reading the pda's you have to keep your head still and they are sort of a pain to read.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Adding to what was already said, I thought esper 2 was a fun puzzle game (and now the first one is included with it), American/Euro truck sim games are enjoyable, and I'd agree with everything poetic justice said, except I was someone who really really really enjoyed edge nowhere. I enjoyed it enough to instantly start a second play through after the credits rolled, and did at least 1 more run since then. I just started playing damaged core which so far has been fantastic, I also just started playing the assembly, but am barely past the intro so I can't really give an opinion on it. Herobound is a neat little, sorta-zelda game as well.

If I had to rank what I've spent the most time with it would be Elite and pinballFX though, and I haven't even gotten around to trying the new tables yet.

Unrelated to games I recently got back from taking thousands of pictures to try recreating some places with photogrammetry, which was the whole reason I was doing tests months ago, but my god these large scenes take time. The first one I'm trying is ~1,400 pictures, and so far it looks like its going to take about 50 hours just for the first stage... if it even completes it. I started trying it yesterday and my computer blue screened at 40%, and it never blue screens so I hope it was just a fluke.

Has anyone else who's worked with the photoscan software or photogrammetry in general, ran into a problem with extremely large sets of photos? The biggest one I'm going to try to put together is a whole house and roughly ~2000-2400 pictures.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Excellent suggestions guysandorgalsorwhatever.

Will look into them as soon as I get my desk and gear setup again.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I don't think this is an illegal knockoff, I think they just signed up for the Lighthouse hardware development program and immediately announced their plans. I really doubt they have anything beyond a rendering.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

Unrelated to games I recently got back from taking thousands of pictures to try recreating some places with photogrammetry, which was the whole reason I was doing tests months ago, but my god these large scenes take time. The first one I'm trying is ~1,400 pictures, and so far it looks like its going to take about 50 hours just for the first stage... if it even completes it. I started trying it yesterday and my computer blue screened at 40%, and it never blue screens so I hope it was just a fluke.

Has anyone else who's worked with the photoscan software or photogrammetry in general, ran into a problem with extremely large sets of photos? The biggest one I'm going to try to put together is a whole house and roughly ~2000-2400 pictures.
Processing time goes up exponentially with the number of photos you take. If you're doing a really big set you want to either break it down into multiple groups of photos and combine the models later, or preselect your pairs so its only scanning against photos that you know overlap. If you're running more than a couple hundred photos at a time I think you need to very carefully reconsider your workflow. Photoscan gets super unstable for me at that scale, also.

I've been messing around with Reality Capture lately and it is by far the best package I've tried and at this point I'm convinced its the only one worth using. Its way faster than Photoscan and takes better advantage of GPUs, doesn't use as much RAM and doesn't crash when it runs out, and the accuracy of the models it produces seem a lot better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

What is there for HTC to invent? Valve created lighthouse and opened it up for anyone to use. Valve helped HTC create everything else. I guess HTC created that anti-mura thing they were talking about last December.

Kazy posted:

I don't think this is an illegal knockoff, I think they just signed up for the Lighthouse hardware development program and immediately announced their plans. I really doubt they have anything beyond a rendering.

Did you look at the page? They have physical prototypes.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Cojawfee posted:

What is there for HTC to invent? Valve created lighthouse and opened it up for anyone to use. Valve helped HTC create everything else. I guess HTC created that anti-mura thing they were talking about last December.

Did you look at the page? They have physical prototypes.

That didn't load on the mobile version :v: That is 100% the same sensor layout as on the Pre

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm looking to get a short HDMI extension so I can use the front USB 3 ports on my tower for the Rift, get another foot or two of effective cable length. Do I need anything special or will a bogstandard HDMI 1.4 extension work?

Poetic Justice posted:

If you are just asking about Rift games in general, Chronos is really good. The Climb is good, even just with a controller, but a free Touch update is coming out this fall for motion controls. Minecraft is apparently cool and good and free if you already own the java version and have Win10. PinballFX is surprisingly awesome and I've probably put the most amount of time into that game, and I've never been a pinball fan. Damaged Core is an extremely polished game, hectic and fun, but it has some caveats (head aiming for shooting, teleportation based movement, I went into more detail earlier in the thread.) Blazerush is GREAT. The MP is insanely fun, and all Rift owners should get it. Darknet is a neat puzzle game that's pretty fun too. I also enjoyed Dead Secret a lot, if you are into adventure games. In all honesty most of the Rift exclusive games are pretty great, although I didn't really like Edge of Nowhere too much, but I can see why other people would.
I really like Chronos now - it was frustrating at first as I'm generally pretty bad at games and it's quite challenging. I only just made it past the first boss and I think I'm mid-30s already. But it's becoming really satisfying, and the design and aesthetics are really well polished.

Tom Guycot posted:

Adding to what was already said, I thought esper 2 was a fun puzzle game (and now the first one is included with it), American/Euro truck sim games are enjoyable, and I'd agree with everything poetic justice said, except I was someone who really really really enjoyed edge nowhere. I enjoyed it enough to instantly start a second play through after the credits rolled, and did at least 1 more run since then. I just started playing damaged core which so far has been fantastic, I also just started playing the assembly, but am barely past the intro so I can't really give an opinion on it. Herobound is a neat little, sorta-zelda game as well.
Cool, I looked up Esper and it seemed like it could be good, especially the sequel with Nick Frost, Sean Pertwee et al doing the voices.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

homeless snail posted:

Processing time goes up exponentially with the number of photos you take. If you're doing a really big set you want to either break it down into multiple groups of photos and combine the models later, or preselect your pairs so its only scanning against photos that you know overlap. If you're running more than a couple hundred photos at a time I think you need to very carefully reconsider your workflow. Photoscan gets super unstable for me at that scale, also.

I've been messing around with Reality Capture lately and it is by far the best package I've tried and at this point I'm convinced its the only one worth using. Its way faster than Photoscan and takes better advantage of GPUs, doesn't use as much RAM and doesn't crash when it runs out, and the accuracy of the models it produces seem a lot better.

Thanks! Outside of the ability to export a mesh, the demo should do enough to give me a good idea of how well it works. I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

I played around with photoscan a bunch to figure things out, so I at least know how to export into destinations and use that as a way to view it in VR. Do you know, or know a tutorial on the workflow for getting a mesh out of reality capture and into something viewable in VR?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

El Grillo posted:

I'm looking to get a short HDMI extension so I can use the front USB 3 ports on my tower for the Rift, get another foot or two of effective cable length. Do I need anything special or will a bogstandard HDMI 1.4 extension work?

Anything decent should work, I use this one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

Thanks! Outside of the ability to export a mesh, the demo should do enough to give me a good idea of how well it works. I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

I played around with photoscan a bunch to figure things out, so I at least know how with it to export into destinations and use that as a way to view it in VR. Do you know, or know a tutorial on the workflow for getting a mesh out of reality capture and into something viewable in VR?
I just drag and drop the obj and texture directly into Unity, it should be super easy to get it into Destinations, though.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I, too, am looking forward to the "Hypereal Cloth".

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Poetic Justice posted:

Blazerush is GREAT. The MP is insanely fun, and all Rift owners should get it..

I overlooked this. Picked it up & having a lot of fun, thanks for the recommendation. It's a really good value @ $9.99, too.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'd like to take a moment to ask questions that this thread is surely tired of at this point. I recently got a new job that's put me in a range where I can afford this kind of ridiculous expense, and I'm really curious about VR. I've begun building a system for it - I've got a pretty decent i5 CPU, 32 gigs of DDR4 RAM, and I just put down money on a GTX 1080.

I know that there's pretty much no such thing as future proofing when it comes to this sort of thing, so I won't ask about that. But I feel like I'm leaning toward the HTC Vive and I think my reasons are pretty slim (motion control, plus everything game related I have is already integrated with Steam).

My question is essentially, are we headed down a Betamax / VHS or HD-DVD / Blu-Ray road, where exclusivity and market competition is going to wholly kill off one or more of the current options? If so, does there seem to be a likely winner? Do you foresee a point at which this whole thing is going to be made or broken? When will we stop being first adopters and start reaping the benefits of this stuff being on the market for awhile?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It shouldn't matter for now. SteamVR supports the rift and the vive. By getting a vive you'd be missing or on oculus exclusives unless you use the program that lets the vive pretend to be a rift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Do we even know of any big investments by game publishers into exclusive content?