Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

MadJackMcJack posted:

Since I'm now Space Nouveau Riche, I figure I should indulge in some space madness, plus I want to unlock some engineers. Which is the better explorer, the Asp or the Diamondback? And any recommendations for outfitting beyond the usual "get best power/FSD/scanners and don't strip out the shields"?
I think they're both close enough that it doesn't make much difference. This is My Exploration Asp. I don't have a vehicle hanger because I've never seen a space rock worth landing on just to get a screenshot. Also fitting a better class fuel scoop is great if you can afford it, because when you get back you can always just sell it back. Note you can drop to a 3A power plant and 2A power distributor (at which point it will do 50.57ly/jump with a rank 5 engineer upgrade, or over 55ly on an empty tank), but I swap this ship out to do missions and cargo stuff so I keep what I normally use (which are engineered).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

SirPenguin posted:

I was lead to believe that exploration didn't pay for poo poo, but I just came back from a really casual 3-day expedition and made $4mil real easy. And that's in a Cobra!

I immediately went back out into the black. I had hoped to explore the sweet witch head nebula but it's all blocked off by unknown permits. Out of all the things we brought with us to space, couldn't we have left red tape behind :smith:

Basically, exploration isn't worth doing for the money, but if you're going to do it anyway, the money you can earn from it is not insignificant.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
look at this bs! kilometers away from the station and i get a delivery mission update asking me to deliver the goods in 0h and 0m. thanks for nothing?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Lindsay Lohan posted:

look at this bs! kilometers away from the station and i get a delivery mission update asking me to deliver the goods in 0h and 0m. thanks for nothing?

Haha. That guy wants his 88 tons of poo poo yesterday goddamnit!

The bonus time might be calculated using your current distance from the target. Since you're already there, it resolves to 0m.

Try posting it as a bug. I can't imagine that's intended behaviour.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Lindsay Lohan posted:

Nah, BS is being rerouted when you're less than a minute from dropping into the station. gently caress yeah I want to jump two systems over and land at a planet that's 50k ls out instead of just wrapping this poo poo up now! *drops into the original target anyway and dumps all the cargo into the mailslot*

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

The bonus time might be calculated using your current distance from the target. Since you're already there, it resolves to 0m.

Try posting it as a bug. I can't imagine that's intended behaviour.

The amount of time this happens to me, I was assuming this is "intended" (yet really stupid and unfun). Like, I load up on 20 missions and the moment I drop out of supercruise a random amount of them get updates. If I just went through safe disengage they come up with 0 minutes (I guess it's actually something like 30 seconds) which often means you get another update reporting your failure before even entering the mail slot :argh:

Pretty sure it's tied to how far you are, maybe they should set the minimum time limit higher, though.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

tooterfish posted:

Another day in the life of a Java developer...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I just want to know why there's such an infinite desire to buy stolen poo poo — literally — on the black market.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

CapnBry posted:

I don't have a vehicle hanger because I've never seen a space rock worth landing on just to get a screenshot.

The reason you bring an SRV along is so you can get more AFMU ammo. You can restock with basic materials found on just about any planet.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Libluini posted:

If you can deal with slow-rear end ships, the Cutter works astonishingly well as exploration-ship. If you mod it like hell. Like the Anaconda, you'll just have to learn the drop-maneuver: If you see your target as a hollow ball on your alignment-radar, don't waste time with aligning in supercruise, just drop out, align in normal flight and re-enter supercruise.

Are you for real? What's the jump range on your exploracutter?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

Are you for real? What's the jump range on your exploracutter?

31+ ly per jump

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not bad

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

I've got a bit of a space madness going on again, went looking for neutron stars and found this.

... How exactly does that work?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Friction posted:

I've got a bit of a space madness going on again, went looking for neutron stars and found this.

Magnets.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

The reason you bring an SRV along is so you can get more AFMU ammo. You can restock with basic materials found on just about any planet.
Ah well that makes a lot more sense to me. Despite weighing nothing, I never take an AMFU with me on my short (10h) exploration trips because I can't be assed to go find the size I want. Where is my magic teleporting module storage bin? This game is hard, guys :effort:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Friction posted:

Dark, cold and no volcanism: If it weren't for the oxygen-atmosphere and some poor lifeforms hanging in there, this would be basically a dead world. Looks like you found the Dark Planet.

Really, this particular "Earth"-like you found looks at least like something you'd expect to orbit a Neutron star.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its average surface temperature is warmer than Earth's, I'd be more concerned about the insane amount of radiation coming from the star

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

frank.club posted:

Its average surface temperature is warmer than Earth's, I'd be more concerned about the insane amount of radiation coming from the star

Yeah, but 7 AU out?
I still say magnets.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

287 K is Earth's average surface temperature, this lump of ice has 267 Kelvin, which is significantly colder.

Edit:

In Celsius, that would be ~ +14°C for Earth and ~ -7°C for this one.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah, I for sure just put in the wrong numbers on google then

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Friction posted:

Why is the atmosphere out of equilibrium "as a result"? Of what? Seems like some copy+paste from terraformed worlds.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Did they do the update where you can have your ships moved from one place to another yet?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

hakimashou posted:

Did they do the update where you can have your ships moved from one place to another yet?
October.

There's a raging "but my immersion!" argument going on right now over whether it should be instant or not.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

tooterfish posted:

October.

There's a raging "but my immersion!" argument going on right now over whether it should be instant or not.

It should be instant yes.

ETA where is this argument going on?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Frontier's forums.

Although it seems to have calmed down a bit now. I suppose there's a limit to how long a circular argument can go on and on and on and on and on

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Prismatics are tougher, but slower to recharge and to go online (because theyre tougher and thus need longer to recharge to 50%). So you should only use them if you go full out shield tank and are able to keep them online at all cost. Once prismatics drop, you can go shopping before theyre full again. An ally with an array of healing lasers helps greatly (until it gets nerfed, its hillariously broken right now).

Easiest way to get faction is to kill faction ships of opposing powerplay factions and mainfactions (not an opposing empire-loyal powerplay-faction, this would drop your empire ratings) in THEIR systems.
NOT in YOURS.
Each kill of a faction-ship nets you 30 merits, and you need 750 i think to reach rank 3, so 25 kills and youre set.
Get an interdictor and select an enemy-powerplay-faction system with a non-enemy-powerplay-faction system in jumprange to repair/refuel.
A word of warning, you will be wanted and hunted by the police upon your first kill, so build around a heavy alpha strike tactic as you cannot allow a fight to take longer than 30 seconds before you are swarmed by system authority.

Once you have prismatics they stay with you unless you sell them.

Go to Velnians and shoot federal couriers. The system is in anarchy so there's no space police. You can even keep a vulture at Piercy Dock so you can do all your comings and goings in a ship with good jump range. (This will be a moot suggestion once ship transfer is in the game).

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

tooterfish posted:

Frontier's forums.

Although it seems to have calmed down a bit now. I suppose there's a limit to how long a circular argument can go on and on and on and on and on

26.51%: Transfer should take at least as long as it would take manually.

These motherfuckers are crazy.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xeremides posted:

Old people all have brain damage lol

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Welp, tried to switch my fsd5 modded thingy from an aspE to my python and the server ticked during the transfer just like I knew it would because that's just my luck.

Module storage will be nice. I hope the grognards don't make it cost a bunch of money.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I'm going to be contrary and say that I wouldn't mind if there was a delay time in ship transport. Nothing excessive, but something at least.

Also...It's amusing to have one NPC pirate chase me, cat and mouse style, across 400 ly of space just to have the system authority and the guns on the station take him out right before I delivered the contract. Times like that I really do wish I had my vulture on me...My transport kitted asp just feels so noodly in comparison.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

CapnBry posted:

Ah well that makes a lot more sense to me. Despite weighing nothing, I never take an AMFU with me on my short (10h) exploration trips because I can't be assed to go find the size I want. Where is my magic teleporting module storage bin? This game is hard, guys :effort:

https://www.eddb.io mang. Do a station search. Put the system you are in into 'Reference System'. Put the module(s) you are looking for into 'Station Sells Modules', and click Find Stations.
You get a list of stations with the goods, in order of distance from your position. It's not 100% that it'll be in stock, but one of the first few will probably have it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Pulled my shiny new Python out into some Civil War system. Apparently to spawn the T9s it needs to be just "war" or something, but I didn't know that then. Scavenge a couple of USSes, all fun and games. Forgot limpets so was attempting to ram things into my hold by focusing on the tiny cargo targeting and ignoring the rest of my constantly flashing OMG PROXIMITY ALERT screen. I learned a 4.9m lesson - always buy limpets and wear your headphones or some jerk NPC is going to fly up your rear end quietly.

Xeremides posted:

It's amusing that this is the line in the sand. Everything else can be handwaved away but implementing this would destroy the game.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
The part of me that believes internet polls matter for anything wants to see everyone get exactly the option they vote for.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Xeremides posted:

Ya i have been posting in their thread, i think some of them have the worst kind of austism.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
While I certainly wouldn't mind more conveniences in this game, I can't imagine why things like data or market info/catalog of goods can only be accessed while docked at a station, but entire ships should be instantaneously transported across systems.

Maybe, instead of bringing ships to whatever station we please, they should make it so that humans can teleport--like it was experimental tech--but only to places with a shipyard, and if they happen to have their ship there, then they can fly their ship from it. That way there's no rear end-pull reason to have ships hop several light years away like a sort of intergalactic valet.

I just made that seconds before posting it so don't ask me to elaborate or explain any loopholes...because I can't. :v:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

hakimashou posted:

Ya i have been posting in their thread, i think some of them have the worst kind of austism.

It's also the stupidest loving poll, where you can tick as many choices as you want.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Boogalo posted:

Welp, tried to switch my fsd5 modded thingy from an aspE to my python and the server ticked during the transfer just like I knew it would because that's just my luck.

Module storage will be nice. I hope the grognards don't make it cost a bunch of money.

My heart briefly stopped while switching modded Cannons from my UPS-anaconda to my cutter.
Uninstalled weapons, switched ship, watched 10 minutes of loading screen and 28% ram usage until i kill the .exe and restart.
Funny enough the hanger shows the cutter, so the request went through, but my client didnt feel like actually doing a thing.
Weapons were available for re-purchase though.
Turns out they suck.
Looking for something else now to abuse engineer mods.

Wanted to try courier with 3 railguns that use fuel as ammo, overheats at first shot since i had to tune power plant to fit them.
Anyone have an FDL build that uses 4 railguns and is able to shoot twice without melting?

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Anyone have an FDL build that uses 4 railguns and is able to shoot twice without melting?

No. Firing two fuel-mod railguns on an FDL (with full wep cap) takes me from 55% heat to 95%. It takes five seconds of cooling before the next shot won't put me over 100%. Railguns are so limited by heat that they can't ever really achieve their stated (moderate) DPS.

Use incendiary multicannons instead.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Prismatics are tougher, but slower to recharge and to go online (because theyre tougher and thus need longer to recharge to 50%).

Just wanted to point out that the real reason for this is that the broken and online regen rate for prismatics is actually much lower compared to regular. This video illustrates this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSRRw0tP7Zw. All the ships have the same shield strength. Doesn't change the rest of your argument tho, it just triggered my :spergin:

Edit: the last few seconds of the video have a bunch of stats, but you can also verify this on the outfititng screen.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
That explains why the ones on my corvette are just about useless

• Locked thread