Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Seems like in my town there's at least 1 story every year of someone fiddling with their guns while drunk who end up shooting themselves/ a friend. Given how low the murder rate is here, I have to imagine in more "violent" places such occurrences generally go unnoticed by the community at large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Who What Now posted:

There's really no such thing as a "responsible gun owner". Merely a gun owner that hasn't hosed up just yet.

It's like "temporarily embarrassed millionaires," but for home safety.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
If someone tells you that Chris Hedges on Russia Today is a great liberal voice is that true? I see he's a big voice against fascism but I don't understand how he lands at RT. That is dissonant to me.
Google isn't helping. What am I missing?

I see him stoking the resentment against HRC as Sanders supported her nomination. What else is going on, here?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

ErIog posted:

It's like "temporarily embarrassed millionaires," but for home safety.
Another reason I get annoyed with the NRA is they changed the four rules of gun safety (the gun is always loaded; never point it at anything you don't intend to destroy; only touch the trigger when you're ready to shoot; know what is ahead of, behind, and around your target) and reduced it to three, for some reason.

The reason they have those four is because you have to gently caress up at least two before someone is in serious danger, because you are definitely going to break at least one at some point. Reducing it to three just makes dangerous ND more likely.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Generally, you're unlikely to be the victim of a home invasion unless the home invaders have reason to believe that you have extremely valuable stuff inside, possibly protected by safes that they'll need you to open.

So, probably want to avoid putting up signs in your yard or on your car that advertise that.

Bad news for members of the American Numismatic Association. I know you're really into collecting rare coins and stuff, but your bumper sticker just advertises to criminals that your house is a treasure chest full of easily pawned goodies.

Alternatively don't live in a well-off area. My family is poor as poo poo and our house is definitely the crappiest looking in an area where everyone else probably makes seven figures or more and we got burgled. The only thing that got stolen (which was also the only thing of value in the house) was my $200 laptop. They also stole my flashlight, which I guess makes sense. We generally lock every window and door because my parents are insanely paranoid but we left our tiny kitchen window unlocked accidentally that day and that's how they got in. None of us were home, either, as I imagine most thieves want to run into you about as much as you want to run into them.

I guess the lesson there is that you really don't have to worry about violent home invaders since they don't particularly exist, material goods are replaceable, and if you want to deter thieves then lock all your doors and windows since they'd rather not go through the effort of breaking in when they can just find a place that's already open.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
That email fwd in real life: "I left a loaded firearm sitting on a wheelchair to prove some vague political point. Unfortunately, while I was out of the house a truck drove over a speedbump nearby and the vibration from that caused the gun to fall out of the wheelchair and accidentally discharge. Now I'm facing charges of 'reckless endangerment' and they're saying its lucky nobody got hit when that gun went off."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

DarkHorse posted:

Another reason I get annoyed with the NRA is they changed the four rules of gun safety (the gun is always loaded; never point it at anything you don't intend to destroy; only touch the trigger when you're ready to shoot; know what is ahead of, behind, and around your target) and reduced it to three, for some reason.

The reason they have those four is because you have to gently caress up at least two before someone is in serious danger, because you are definitely going to break at least one at some point. Reducing it to three just makes dangerous ND more likely.

Which one did they drop? They all sound vitally important to me.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Who What Now posted:

There's really no such thing as a "responsible gun owner". Merely a gun owner that hasn't hosed up just yet.

We're thrill-seekers just like sky divers or bungie jumpers. Except it's even more exciting because we ALSO endanger anybody that happens to be nearby. It's just such an electric feeling walking around and knowing that at any moment the sword could drop. Will it be me, a family member, a total stranger? Who knows!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm totally guessing, but I'm going to guess number two because it unfairly demonizes guns or some horse poo poo.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Instant Sunrise posted:

That email fwd in real life: "I left a loaded firearm sitting on a wheelchair to prove some vague political point. Unfortunately, while I was out of the house someone stole it."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Snowman Crossing posted:

We're thrill-seekers just like sky divers or bungie jumpers. Except it's even more exciting because we ALSO endanger anybody that happens to be nearby. It's just such an electric feeling walking around and knowing that at any moment the sword could drop. Will it be me, a family member, a total stranger? Who knows!

"Wheel-Of-Accidental-Shootings
Spin spin spin!
Tell us who the bullet should go in!"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

They merged two of them, can't remember which. I think it's 2 and 3.

E:

quote:

The fundamental NRA rules for safe gun handling are:
ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. This is the primary rule of gun safety. ...
ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. ...
ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
So it looks like #4, being sure of your target and what's around it.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 5, 2016

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

backfired in that she performed for 17 minutes, by most accounts stole the show, and won best video? no, it backfired because some butthurt conservatives tweeted they didn't like it.
Note that this part of the performance did not at all reference police. Just killing black people.

speak english

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

scary muslim beard man takes flight!

Pizza

in 1999 a guy you regularly call a race baiting racist mcracistface said Trump was ok.

margaret sanger

"black friends" anyone get bingo?

confederate flag

This is that thing where the kids were told to try copying the thing to see how hard arabic writing is. they weren't indoctrinated because they couldn't read it

I had a sarcastic comment to make here but instead my brain tried to commit mutiny against my eyeballs for having viewed such stupidity

I clicked this one. The argument is literally "trump mocks everyone this way, therefore he wasn't making fun of that guy"

import-a-terrorist

Cash loving money this was a brown person and not actually a refugee

I mean you're literally telling immigrants to get murdered in nazi death camps.

in conclusion

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

poo poo I don't wanna touch the poop but there is some easy loving troll potential to be had.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DarkHorse posted:

They merged two of them, can't remember which. I think it's 2 and 3.

E:

So it looks like #4, being sure of your target and what's around it.

Eh, they kinda got rid of "always assume the gun is loaded" and switched it with "always unload the gun until ready for use". Which is a problem because many accidents occur because the idiot thought they had already unloaded the gun and hadn't.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
"Always unload the gun until ready for use" seems like it goes against the kind of thing the NRA stands for, because if a hired assassin breaks into your house in the middle of the night he's not going to wait for you to load your gun.

I actually did see someone on another site say that keeping your guns unloaded and locked up was stupid for that very reason, and that instead you should keep a loaded gun in an unlocked location close to your bed, and yto just teach your kids that they're not toys and capable of hurting others and all that.

I mean that's incredibly dangerous thinking but at least he's not ignoring the contradiction in "Keep your guns locked up" and "Guns are necessary to protect your family from intruders."

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

"Always unload the gun until ready for use" seems like it goes against the kind of thing the NRA stands for, because if a hired assassin breaks into your house in the middle of the night he's not going to wait for you to load your gun.

I actually did see someone on another site say that keeping your guns unloaded and locked up was stupid for that very reason, and that instead you should keep a loaded gun in an unlocked location close to your bed, and yto just teach your kids that they're not toys and capable of hurting others and all that.

I mean that's incredibly dangerous thinking but at least he's not ignoring the contradiction in "Keep your guns locked up" and "Guns are necessary to protect your family from intruders."

The current doctrine for NRA-sponsored gun safety programs expands on the concept of "in use" to include keeping it loaded for self-defense, so people who carry a gun or keep it in the nightstand won't immediately be in violation of The Third Rule.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So in other words "Keep your gun unloaded unless you don't want to, your call".

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Defenestration posted:

I clicked this one. The argument is literally "trump mocks everyone this way, therefore he wasn't making fun of that guy"

The other week Ann Coulter defended Trump by saying he was doing "a standard retard."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Twelve by Pies posted:

poo poo, I was told right here in D&D that I was stupid for keeping my guns in a storage shed (the kind you see on Storage Wars) instead of in my house. The mindset that you need constant access to a weapon at all times is basically a core personality trait for a lot of people.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Dr. Faustus posted:

If someone tells you that Chris Hedges on Russia Today is a great liberal voice is that true? I see he's a big voice against fascism but I don't understand how he lands at RT. That is dissonant to me.
Google isn't helping. What am I missing?

I see him stoking the resentment against HRC as Sanders supported her nomination. What else is going on, here?

Sort of. He's been writing about the failure of American democracy for the last decade, way before going to RT. I think the author of "Death of the Liberal Class" might take some issue with being called a "great liberal voice," though.

RT is pretty good for US political news because US politics is a total shitshow and Russia is happy to air that dirty laundry. I'm not sure what's so dissonant about the idea.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Who What Now posted:

poo poo, I was told right here in D&D that I was stupid for keeping my guns in a storage shed (the kind you see on Storage Wars) instead of in my house. The mindset that you need constant access to a weapon at all times is basically a core personality trait for a lot of people.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"Alright honey, I can see you have a lot of questions like "why can I only hear out of one ear" and "where the gently caress did my side of the headboard go" well first let's have a talk about self-defense"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I'm not sure I believe that isn't a parody. :stare:

I'm also torn between "drat that's actually kind of neat" and "oh god what happens if you fumble when you grab it and hit your wife in bed?"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not sure I believe that isn't a parody. :stare:

I'm also torn between "drat that's actually kind of neat" and "oh god what happens if you fumble when you grab it and hit your wife in bed?"

It's really not a parody.

http://gunbed.net

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRUw3R5kZtk

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Absolutely no way that can go wrong.

Y'know, I think the most baffling thing for me right now is:
If I were going to go through the mental gymnastics necessary to convince myself that the fantasy world I live in was reality, I would be making sure the fantasy was awesome and fun.
I sure as poo poo wouldn't be convincing myself that Obama was forcing 3rd graders to gay marry each other in front of a statue of Allah raping Uncle Sam that was made out of stolen guns.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Haha what the Christ, this is some poo poo that my girlfriend's paranoid gun obsessive hunting family would buy and install into their hunting cabin thing. "WAS THAT A DEER?!" *bang* "Oh sorry Billy, go back to bad god dammit."

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

I'd put money on anyone owning this shooting their partner/child as they go to the bathroom at 3AM.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

wouldn't you end up elbowing your partner in the face if you tried that while sleeping

also shouldn't he be under the covers

what if you're trying to bang and you push the wrong part of the headboard

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

what if you're trying to bang and you push the wrong part of the headboard

You'll go from trying to bang to an accidental bang.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You'll go from trying to bang to an accidental bang.

Surprise bang?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

It's always a little creepy how good fascists are at co-opting the language of progressivism and leftism or turning it into dirty words no one wants to associate with.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
"Willing to sacrifice even his life and honor" -- I love this spin; it's like, I'll be the guy who does bad things you all secretly want so that you guys don't have to sully your consciences with the burden of guilt.

Thanks Obama.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

the_steve posted:

Absolutely no way that can go wrong.

Y'know, I think the most baffling thing for me right now is:
If I were going to go through the mental gymnastics necessary to convince myself that the fantasy world I live in was reality, I would be making sure the fantasy was awesome and fun.
I sure as poo poo wouldn't be convincing myself that Obama was forcing 3rd graders to gay marry each other in front of a statue of Allah raping Uncle Sam that was made out of stolen guns.
I forget where I saw it, but somebody, probably Prester Jane, explained that a world that hates you and everything you stand for is still a world where you can be The Hero Standing Against Injustice, and that's a flattering narrative.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

I d'awwwed

great nation in my eye's

:ironicat:

Flag boy

america needs graphic design

termites

forgive me father for I have sinned. I said that liberals should be exterminated like termites and that immigrants should be sent to Auschwitz style showers. We cool?

eagle

the distribute the wealth memes come earlier each year

who would have thought taco bowls would be the major symbol of this election

white children, as far as the eye can see

ask why this macro exists

too easy

olds

Trump is going to apologize to Iraq and Yemen?

sure

sure she was, but that should make you for her since you've blasted that dog whistle for 8 years now

I would hope they would notice something in her hand. because they have eyes

In conclusion

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

"I'm not owned! I'm not owned! I insist as I slowly shrink and transform into a Libertarian."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
both glasses are poisoned and he drinks one anyway and dies...