Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Galaxy Note 7 explodes in Winthrop, Mass.

Nice pictures of scorch marks on night stand, as well as melted phone. I'm going to be really REALLY careful about always charging when I'm alert and in the same room. And make sure the fire extinguisher is charged.

Can't wait for TSA to ban them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

Anybody here used any of these dbrand skins?

Looking at their site/videos I feel like they'd start peeling off pretty quickly from taking the phone in and out of your pocket...

They are legit.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

You mean the FDA.

(e-cigarette joke)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

I travel for work to the US next weekend, this is poo poo garbage timing because Rogers won't replace it by then I'm positive. I'll have to get my Note 5 back out for my work line :(

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Third Degree Samsung'd

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Galaxy Note 7 explodes in Winthrop, Mass.

Nice pictures of scorch marks on night stand, as well as melted phone. I'm going to be really REALLY careful about always charging when I'm alert and in the same room. And make sure the fire extinguisher is charged.

That's not a Note 7. That's an Active something or other, isn't it? Those are totally hardware buttons. Like on the S6 Active.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
lol that definitely isn't a Note 7

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Protocol7 posted:

That's not a Note 7. That's an Active something or other, isn't it? Those are totally hardware buttons. Like on the S6 Active.

Whoops, good catch. That's what I get for taking a story at face value.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Are Diztronic cases flame retardant?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Note 7 is waterproof right? Well then, it seems like the charging solution is apparent.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The proper application of grip tape can contain the explosion and following flames.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Hughmoris posted:

The proper application of grip tape can contain the explosion and following flames.

Grip tape acts as a heat sink to help regulate battery temperatures.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

isndl posted:

Grip tape acts as a heat sink to help regulate battery temperatures.

If you add enough grip tape, you actually increase the surface area to the point where it actually cools better.

Course, your phone will then be several inches thick.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I'm trying to create a point of sales system in my squadron for selling tee shirts, patches, etc etc. Whats the best cheap Android these days? All it needs to do is run the Square app. Also, what's the best, cheap data only plan?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Protocol7 posted:

My only question here is why the gently caress you would put an S5/6 active in an otterbox to begin with. It's already ruggedized (somewhat) and waterproofed.

The point of getting the active is so you don't have to do any of that poo poo and deal with an ugly (well, uglier, because the active's are not that attractive) phone.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
You'd be amazed how many roughnecks want an Otterbox for their already essentially Otterboxed device in blue collar areas like Saskatchewan. Especially businesses who don't trust their employees with devices unless they're in a bubble.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bob A Feet posted:

I'm trying to create a point of sales system in my squadron for selling tee shirts, patches, etc etc. Whats the best cheap Android these days? All it needs to do is run the Square app. Also, what's the best, cheap data only plan?

I haven't used it like this, but I heard that you can get free data only SIMs tied to your account from Google's Project Fi. They would all use the same data pool and be charged to a single account. Basically, you'd pay $30 plus whatever data gets used. I think that your devices will be tied under a single account when it comes to Hangouts and wifi calling, though. You can probably disable those with a bit of work.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

So twice since the Nougat update my Project Fi 5X has done this thing where it stops seeing any wifi and starts killing my battery -- I'm guessing by constantly searching for networks. First time I was out of the house, somewhere I expected to have wifi but just assumed it was down, and didn't figure it out until I got home and didn't connect there. Rebooted and all was well but it happened again a few days later. Never did this before Nougat. Not sure where to look for or file a bug. Anybody else?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm opening myself up for ridicule here, but does anyone have a Priv and is brave enough to talk about it?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Dunno how ya'll feel about rumors, but here's the alleged prices of the HTCs S&M:

32gb Sailfish - $449
32gb Marlin - A 2006 PS3 (USD $599)

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Nexus-Marlin-and-Nexus-Sailfish-prices-reportedly-leaked_id84627

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I know I definitely need more than 32gb so I wonder what the jump will be for a bigger version.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I like how I'm now on the 'expensive' track of Nexus phones, since the 6 was expensive too and I was dumb enough to buy that one.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

bull3964 posted:

The Note 7 is waterproof right? Well then, it seems like the charging solution is apparent.

Burning lithium + water sounds like a great idea

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm opening myself up for ridicule here, but does anyone have a Priv and is brave enough to talk about it?

I know a guy who has one, and I think his main complaint was sluggishness.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tamba posted:

Burning lithium + water sounds like a great idea

Water is perfectly fine for putting out lithium ion battery fires. The major driver of fires is thermal runaway, not the lithium. Dropping in water cools it enough to stop that, and the lithium content is very small.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Kytrarewn posted:

Good idea. So:

Guess I've got to get the big holder.

Trip report for the bigger adjustable holder from Proclip for Galaxy S7 with Incipio DualPro case: The phone isn't thick enough to fully justify the larger holder, and it's entirely tightened down, widthwise, but doesn't apply really any horizontal pressure to the phone's case. That said, I've driven around a fair bit with the phone in the holder and haven't heard any knocks or rattles from it, though I've been generally slipping some paper (the manual for the holder) behind the phone while it's in there just to give it a tiny bit less effective depth.

Now I'm considering just ditching the case and getting the custom holder for the phone, just for perfect support.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Seeing that the larger of the new Nexus phones is rumored to be $599 (and made by HTC), the Nexus 6p is looking pretty tempting if I can find it at $399.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

Seeing that the larger of the new Nexus phones is rumored to be $599 (and made by HTC), the Nexus 6p is looking pretty tempting if I can find it at $399.

Bestbuy sells a refurb for $310 iirc.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Just got around to calling Samsung and they told me the estimated repair price would be between $70 and the full price of the phone ($900).

This is why I miss Apple, if it's $70 just take my money, if it's $300 I will file it on my insurance, how is this an ambiguous question? It got wet, it was in my washing machine, it's full of detergent and potable water.

When I washed my iPhone I took it in and they said it was going to be like $200 and the replaced it on the spot, how many freaking phones does Samsung get that have been soaked in water that they don't know what it is going to cost to replace it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Just got around to calling Samsung and they told me the estimated repair price would be between $70 and the full price of the phone ($900).

This is why I miss Apple, if it's $70 just take my money, if it's $300 I will file it on my insurance, how is this an ambiguous question? It got wet, it was in my washing machine, it's full of detergent and potable water.

When I washed my iPhone I took it in and they said it was going to be like $200 and the replaced it on the spot, how many freaking phones does Samsung get that have been soaked in water that they don't know what it is going to cost to replace it?

It's almost like one company has their poo poo together and cares about their customers and the other company does not. If it were me and I cared about such things I would only deal with first company and eschew the second.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LastInLine posted:

It's almost like one company has their poo poo together and cares about their customers and the other company does not. If it were me and I cared about such things I would only deal with first company and eschew the second.

How many times does this have to be pointed out?

Stop buying Samsung devices.

Don't buy a phone except from the owner of the platform.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

How many times does this have to be pointed out?

Stop buying Samsung devices.

But my extensive SD card collection!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pretty sure Three Olives posted some convoluted collection of promotions he got to get his Samsung down to like Nexus price.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
So (assuming the Pixel by Google rumours are true) what is the reasoning for Google picking this year to launch its own branded phone again? I mean, they tried this before with the original Nexus which didn't work/wasn't supported/angered the other mobile manufacturers, and I don't see there being any pressing reason why 2016 is the right time to try again.

To my mind I still don't see why Google particularly cares who makes android phones as long as they sell lots of them, and on sheer sales numbers Android wins hands down. Is VR really such a big future thing that Google think they need to be physically in on it? Have they finally decided to care about fragmentation enough to try and seize the market in one phone? Do they sense enough weakness in Apple with a boring iPhone 7 announcement that they think this is the year to strike?

Or is it just another half-baked Google idea that will be dropped again in another couple of years?

real reason: ran out of Nexus numbers.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Pretty sure Three Olives posted some convoluted collection of promotions he got to get his Samsung down to like Nexus price.

Must not have included the Nexus Protect in that calculation, huh.

The thing is, whether the Samsung was half the price of a Nexus or twice the price, this is the level of service you're going to get with Samsung. Everyone knows that going in, it's silly to complain about it after the fact.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

What if you buy a Samsung device from a Samsung store directly?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

What if you buy a Samsung device from a Samsung store directly?
Take it back there when it breaks

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I don't think Samsung sells unlocked phones in the US, anyway.

Also Three Olives' "I bought my S7 for $300!" (or whatever) was: on contract, leased (so he has to sell it back to the carrier for credit towards another carrier phone), and included the bullshit Samsung and Best Buy gave him for free as taking down the price. To me, paying $400 and getting $100 in bullshit I wouldn't have bought anyway does not make the phone cost $300.

But that's me.

And re:

Major Ryan posted:

So (assuming the Pixel by Google rumours are true) what is the reasoning for Google picking this year to launch its own branded phone again? I mean, they tried this before with the original Nexus which didn't work/wasn't supported/angered the other mobile manufacturers, and I don't see there being any pressing reason why 2016 is the right time to try again.

To my mind I still don't see why Google particularly cares who makes android phones as long as they sell lots of them, and on sheer sales numbers Android wins hands down. Is VR really such a big future thing that Google think they need to be physically in on it? Have they finally decided to care about fragmentation enough to try and seize the market in one phone? Do they sense enough weakness in Apple with a boring iPhone 7 announcement that they think this is the year to strike?

Or is it just another half-baked Google idea that will be dropped again in another couple of years?

real reason: ran out of Nexus numbers.

I don't think Google now, nor have they ever, cared about making money from the Nexus line. If they did they would have held onto Motorola and actually exerted control. They need a "reference device" so they partner with manufacturers, and the manufacturers go for it because...gently caress, I don't know. Low risk? Huawei definitely needed the market penetration but the same can't be said for HTC/Samsung/LG/Motorola so I don't know. Point is, they're rebranding it as Pixel because they had their Chromebook Pixel, then the Pixel tablet and now Pixel phones. Synergy or something.

Also, I think Google is moving towards a merge of ChromeOS and Android. Rumors were abound, everything pointed to the Pixel C being a ChromeOS tablet that was changed at the last minute to Android, and now ChromeOS can run Android stuff. They're definitely moving towards a unified experience. Could be great, if they stick with it. And since this is Google, that is a big, big "if."

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Humerus posted:

Also Three Olives' "I bought my S7 for $300!" (or whatever) was: on contract, leased (so he has to sell it back to the carrier for credit towards another carrier phone), and included the bullshit Samsung and Best Buy gave him for free as taking down the price. To me, paying $400 and getting $100 in bullshit I wouldn't have bought anyway does not make the phone cost $300.

But that's me.

$350 in Best Buy gift cards plus the $100+ in bullshit accessories.

$45 a month for 12 months, $350 in Best Buy gift cards, $540 in payments over the year plus accessories.

Would have been a very good deal had I not put my phone in the washing machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Major Ryan posted:

The correct answer.

I know a few people who work in different areas of Google in Sydney and Munich and apparently the culture inside is exactly what you'd expect, with everyone clamouring to make new things and literally nobody wanting to support anything existing. I love my Android phones (and watch), but gently caress they frustrate me sometimes.