Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
talent = nanomachines, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Frionnel posted:

So, how do you implant good luck onto someone with brain surgery anyway.

They hacked his luck stat to the maximum value.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm assuming Izuru has every talent up to the 77th class so far. Not sure if he has the Imposter's talent, or if Hope's Peak even knows he/she existed at the time.

He might have the 78th class set as well, since he seems to have SHSL Analytics. Don't know if he has SHSL Soldier, but there are lots of physical talents they could have based him off so far, like the SHSL Boxer.

Or maybe it's more that he's just a blank state of potential for talent to evolve from, so in any given situation he can manifest the required talent. Which would make more sense since I'm guessing they didn't know Junko had analytical ability.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm pretty sure they just made him as perfect as possible, he's actually just Captain America but with no emotions, desires or personal aspirations. Although having watched the show that was very weird, my guess is that he's getting luck run-off from Komaeda. After all Junko presumably need Izuru to truly become the greatest despair, so of course Nagito's luck jams the gun.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm assuming Izuru has every talent up to the 77th class so far. Not sure if he has the Imposter's talent, or if Hope's Peak even knows he/she existed at the time.

That means that it Mitarai dies Izuru/Hajime can make anime in his place. And now i'm imagining Izuru sitting in front of a computer for hours straight, furisouly drawing, while saying "this is so boring" every once in a while.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Color Printer posted:

To think, most of the series could have been avoided entirely if Nagito just fired the drat gun instead of blabbering.

Yup
e: linking because the video's hilariously wide

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Nagito is the best character in this series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why is Komaeda so great?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GenericMartini posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point it's one of the two characters that haven't been seen yet. Considering Hagakure is outside, Monaca is dead, and I don't think Togami counts towards the 16 involved I'm pretty sure there's at least one person overlooking what happening. That person is both the killer and the mastermind because surprise it's Dangan Ronpa. Also no one really died. And it's actually just an anime.

Also it's hard to believe we just have like 4 more episodes for a bunch of stuff to just wrap up. Gonna be real interesting to see where all this turns to in the next two episodes.

Monaca is in space. There is a difference between that and being dead.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Biggest twist is that Mitarai is a good boy who does absolutely nothing wrong and just wants to live a normal (anime filled) life.

Biggest mystery to me is why Hinata is in the credits of Future. It took me longer then I'd like to admit to realize it was him instead of Naegi.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 2, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Wait, is it? I'm gonna have to check later.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Biggest mystery to me is why Hinata is in the credits of Future. It took me longer then I'd like to admit to realize it was him instead of Naegi.

I mean, Izuru is there, and he said he wanted to be more like Hajime at the end of DR2, so it's probably something like that. It'll probably make more sense when we get more than a single cliffhanger's worth of appearances from him.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

TheMcD posted:

I mean, Izuru is there, and he said he wanted to be more like Hajime at the end of DR2, so it's probably something like that. It'll probably make more sense when we get more than a single cliffhanger's worth of appearances from him.

I don't remember him saying anything directly to that effect

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Slur posted:

I don't remember him saying anything directly to that effect

I might have been a bit off in my phrasing, but the basic thing of DR2 is that while the people that woke up from the Neo World Program are still the Remnants of Despair that were locked in there in the first place, they created a future where they didn't have to forget what happened in the events of the game, leading to Izuru waking up from the simulation, but thanks to the memories from the events of DR2, choosing to leave his Izuru persona behind, saying "I will keep on living as Hajime Hinata" in the epilogue.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ignis posted:

Yup

oh how i want this to be canon

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ignis posted:

Yup

snake nagito what have you done
you've changed the future
you've created a time paradox

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Maybe Izuru is actually disguising himself as Asahina in Future.

I've blown this thing open.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Ytlaya posted:

Maybe Izuru is actually disguising himself as Asahina in Future.

I've blown this thing open.

I actually had this theory before but it was about Mitarai because I thought that the fat Mitarai that we see in Despair was not the Imposter but actually the real one and the one we see in Future was a fake.

Well this whole Asahina thing I don't really know how it will work but I must say that's the only character that would be sorta of a twist because the attacker/ traitor being Mitarai or the extra 16th person would be too obvious and all the other still alive people are in the clear I think.

I actually have the theory that the 13th branch of FF leader that we haven't seen yet is actually the real Nanami because I don't think they would hide that person's identity unless it was someone we know about.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I feel like we're going to have to treat Despair and Future arcs as two-halves of the same story in order to deduce the culprit. Kind of like how Umineko and Higurashi (mystery visual novels that are pretty drat wacky themselves) have a "Question" arc and an "Answer" arc, we should think of Future as the question and Despair as the answer.

In that case, we should look to characters who have been prominent in both arcs. I'd say that narrows the pool down to Juzo, Mitarai or Yukizome. Ruruka appeared in Despair as well, but she's clearly more set up to be someone who ensures the game keeps on rolling. The attacker is at a heavy disadvantage working alone, so forcing someone to be complicit at the risk of dying is a good way to ensure they don't just band together to escape. I highly doubt she's the main attacker.

Yukizome I feel will definitely be revealed as a despair remnant who was among the first brainwashed. Yet her being the attacker would be too easy, and it'd be a rehash of the DR1 twist with the player who dies very early on being the culprit. I would peg her as the mastermind who was betrayed by the attacker on the other hand.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't really care about the mystery per se, but i am very curious about just what happened to mitarai. he escaped the fate of the rest of his class and somehow got into the good graces of the jerkwad future foundation. heck, without his brainwashing techniques junko probably never would have gone global.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Next episode Junko grabs Impostor Mitarai believing him to be the original. After cackling on about despair for a moment, she stops, stares at him for a good minute, and then asks the question that's weighing on her mind.

"Did you gain weight?"

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Serious Frolicking posted:

i don't really care about the mystery per se, but i am very curious about just what happened to mitarai. he escaped the fate of the rest of his class and somehow got into the good graces of the jerkwad future foundation. heck, without his brainwashing techniques junko probably never would have gone global.
I assume they have no idea about his role in the brainwashing, because he would definitely be killed as a co-conspirator no matter how accidental. I rechecked the first episode and he told Kirigiri that he was in the building to meet with Tengan, so they must know by now that there was an imposter who took his place in the class and assumed his name. It could be he confessed to Tengan in private and was allowed amnesty if he cooperated with them, but I doubt Munakata and others are aware of the role he played in Junko's plans.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Actually thinking about it a little, what if the attacker is someone who was brainwashed into the role by Monobears original message explaining the rules? The bear has been very conspicuously absent since his first announcement, except for when the Killing Phase started, which may have been a message designed to act as a trigger to turn someone into the attacker. From what we know, this whole game has something to do with a project set up by the future foundation that Tengan personally knew about, and he and Mitarai were personally involved with each other, so this might be just a use of his own techniques (possibly without his knowledge) .Brainwashing has just been a very conspicuous element of Despair and I wouldn't be surprised to see it come up as a major element in Future. Though this conflicts with Chisa's death admittedly...Idk it's just a theory, and we still don't have a clear idea of the actual purpose of the game. Though my money is on it being some clown plot to build up Munakata into some kind of Super Hope. Which uh, they've done a great job of so far.

I can't find the image right now, but there's also something interesting I saw a while ago that has so far proven accurate: in Monobears video, there's a shot of pixel art versions of all the characters I'm idle walking animations, and so far I think all of the different victims shared the same orientation so far (Attacker Victims walk to the left, NG code victims to the right, Tengan was walking backwards, since he got killed by Munakata rather than a killing game mechanic). Currently the only death not accounted for is...Asahina, who is oriented as an Attacker Victim, which is a little worrying for her. Looking forward to something completely screwing with both these ideas tomorrow.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think the theory of the Monokuma video being Mitarai's brainwashing anime came up earlier. It sounds pretty plausible.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
This is the stage in the game where everything flies off the rails so I can't speculate anymore because I have no idea what will happen but I hope chiaki gets out so she can reunite with less-crazy hinata. :ohdear:

Or that everyone dies to set the stage for DRv3. :unsmigghh:

Ignis posted:

Yup

That is delightful.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 5, 2016

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Never mind Future side actually, imagine how off the rails Despair side is going to be, considering right now Junko has to deal with the entire 77th class (nevermind whatever is happening with Izuru and Nanami), and Chisa, AND personally clown Sakakura (pointedly without erasing his memory or anything like that as we learned last week!) AND do all that in a way that lets her completely get away with it forever in a way that arouses no suspicion so she can pull off all the DR0 and DR1 stuff. Honestly if there's anything I'm interested in its how all of that's going to be resolved, just because of the sheer amount of stuff she has to get done.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Don't forget that in between DR0 and DR1 she also had a whole year with the 78th class.

I'd actually be more interested in seeing Mukuro interact with normal people.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

There's 4 episodes left on both sides so I have a feeling some stuff is going to be straight up glossed over in Despair if we're being super honest. Like I'll be straight up surprised if they just cut out Junko's time with the 78th class entirely as I'm not sure what that would add to the plot other then "Junko pretends to be normal for awhile."

Like I half expect it to show her getting red hair and then a flashing message comes on screen saying "READ DANGAN RONPA 0" before skipping ahead :v:

Also anyone know if we're supposed to be getting todays episode on time or is it yet another case of Funi loving up again?

Edit: Just saw it live, that was depressing.

I don't care that Juzo died as he was totally unsympathetic at this point and lol oh no Ruruka died. Kirigiri dying to her NG though suuuucked. I hope they figure out the mastermind soon otherwise this is going to be a pretty sour way to close the series out.

Kinda makes Kizakura's sacrifice meaningless since she died the next episode.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 5, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is Juzo confirmed dead?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I can't believe they had the balls to kill her off. They're also dragging out whether or not Byakuya died in that blast another week aren't they?

6 participants remaining: Makoto, Hina, Mitarai, Munakata, Hiro.... wait, who's the last person? Who else am I forgetting? Oh wait, it would be 5 left now since Gekkogahara-robot was blown up. I like how all the new characters died with the exception of Mitarai because he's super-important.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Ruruka's death was loving brutal, she's been stabbed all over. I want to think it's a clue except there's a grand total of 4 survivors at this point and unless Ryota, Aoi, or Naegi are pulling some serious Houdini tricks it leaves only Munukata left. I guess it could just be showing Munukata's completely consumed at this point. But gently caress man, i don't actually know how this is going to end now.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Wow, can't believe that actually happened. Although I guess that means Togami would be alive since Naegi's prophecy came true, unless he's going to cause even more deaths.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW:

This may be wishful thinking, but this has got to be a trick.

My first thought is that Kyoko's NG Code says that she has until the fourth round has passed. But does the period after they woke up to find Chisa's body count as the second round, or the first? If it's the latter, then there's still a round left, since the code says that the forbidden action is passing the fourth round.

I'm thinking Kyoko woke up first and decided to take advantage of the confusion by faking her death. Maybe she had found Seiko's medicine and used that. That way, Munakata and Juzo(who she doesn't know that Munakata has attacked) won't be chasing her anymore and she can do some critical action needed to save the others.

Note that when she was knocked out after the time limit expired, that Kyoko appeared to fall forward. But she was on her back after everyone woke up. That suggests that she woke up and moved first(and possibly managed to fake her death or save herself with the medicine there).

Alternatively, if the round count is based on the number of victims the attacker has killed, then it might lend credence to the popular theory that Chisa isn't dead and she's the mastermind. After all, if she isn't dead, then her death doesn't count as a round. Incidentally, if Chisa is indeed the mastermind, then I can see how the endgame will play out. In a freeze-frame bonus while Munakata and Robo-Miaya were fighting, we saw that Chisa's NG Code is keeping Munakata alive. I'm thinking that when Chisa is exposed, Munakata will end up killing her by killing himself, activating her NG Code.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Huh, were they trying to make me like Ruruka? She still killed Fedora Dad so she's bad in my book

But yeah, Kirigiri is definitely faking her death.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Axle_Stukov posted:

Ruruka's death was loving brutal, she's been stabbed all over.

And had her mouth stuffed full of candy. Someone really hated her.

Also, while I'm sad that Miaya and Miaya-bot continued to be wasted, we did get this.

RULES OF NATURE :black101:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Holy poo poo the reactions on twitter are hilarious. Lots of cries of DR3 now being non-canon.

edit: someone on twitter noticed this (spoiler image):

That's her pocketbook, isn't it?

FPzero fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 5, 2016

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Mmmmm

I mean it could be true but

I've seen too many stories where the detective comes back at the 11th hour after faking their death for this to be definitive. Not to mention the fact that she had the entire game to prepare for this, and access to Seiko's body and it's wealth of sweet sweet drugs.

I mean, she could easily be dead, but I think she has the best chance of being alive out of anyone else we'e seen "die"

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Another person noticed this, though I think it might have been brought up earlier (spoiler image again):

It rolls by for less than a second and then out of the shot when Hina moves to check on Kyoko. That's Seiko's medicine, isn't it?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I can't believe Side: Future has been salvaged

At least I hope Kirigiri's actually dead and those things that were spotted aren't clues to having a DR1 character's death faked again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I can't believe Side: Future has been salvaged

At least I hope Kirigiri's actually dead and those things that were spotted aren't clues to having a DR1 character's death faked again

It was already good, sorry :colbert:

It's definitely a fakeout but it's a way better one than "i was stabbed oh wait nm lol"

• Locked thread