Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GAL, I heard you like pike and shot.

So here's something that lets you shoot while you pike.

When your regiment is on point going foraging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
what haven't these people attached a gun to

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
was there ever a codpiece mounted gun?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Remulak posted:

That's a lovely down mix from surround to stereo. Check your audio settings or buy a surround system.

This is part of it, but also modern audio mixes, particularly in movies are trending in this direction. This style of mix super impressive and immersive on a really good audio system, but with poor or even average equipment, it's a big loving mess that can make the movie extremely hard to follow.

If you're using a PC player of some flavor, you can use dynamic range compression to help out a bit.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Trin Tragula posted:

too much poo poo to do atm
18th August: the problem of attacking reverse-slope trenches, playing golf on an airfield in Iraq, e.s. thompson does not gently caress up

So just outta curiosity, what marks all the aviators as toffs? The Golf playing and the fact the Lt. Col. doesn't look down on them? "Duh, all the RFC pilots were toffs?"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Koramei posted:

was there ever a codpiece mounted gun?

Watch "From Dusk Till Dawn"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nebakenezzer posted:

So just outta curiosity, what marks all the aviators as toffs? The Golf playing and the fact the Lt. Col. doesn't look down on them? "Duh, all the RFC pilots were toffs?"

I know that early in the war pilots were recruited from cavalryman due to the (supposed) shared duties in scouting the enemy while controlling a potentially unpredictable mount, so it started off with more upper class pilots due to the troops they were recruiting from.

I'm assuming that as the war progressed it was a combination of more stringent requirements for joining the RFC combined with the fact that it was already made up of a more exclusive group of dudes anyway.

Working class folk definitely did get in though in some proportion though, since the RFC needed mechanics and a few of those ended up becoming pilots.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

MrYenko posted:

This is part of it, but also modern audio mixes, particularly in movies are trending in this direction. This style of mix super impressive and immersive on a really good audio system, but with poor or even average equipment, it's a big loving mess that can make the movie extremely hard to follow.

If you're using a PC player of some flavor, you can use dynamic range compression to help out a bit.

This might be part of it, I got the DVDs for my dad years ago for treadmill fodder and I'm sure it's just the built-in speaker on a cheap TV up there. The music was pretty overwhelming on the setup downstairs too, but I'm not sure if that was a surround system.We just figured that people expect Victory at Sea to have this rousing score so they pumped it up at the expense of the narration.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

my dad posted:

Watch "From Dusk Till Dawn"

When I read him asking that, I instantly pictured that dudes crotch gun.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

We finish up with the Italian 75mm caliber projectiles today. What is left the inventory in terms of types of rounds? Which HC projectile uses the cartridge case from the 75/18mm mountain howitzer? What are the differences for the EPS projectile between the 75/13 and 75/18 guns? Which round uses a steel case, and which one has a 74mm cap?

All that and more at the blog!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Did people do historical re-enactment in pre-modern times?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fangz posted:

Does WWII count?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

if you count people dressing up like people from arthurian legend or romans (etc) during tournaments, yes

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Raenir Salazar posted:

On the other hand, I've heard the Germans continued to pay royalties to the British for the proximity fuses used to take out British bombers.

Your probably thinking of the Mauser patent lawsuits I. The US. Phone posting so in not dipping a big write up but I'll throw down an explanation of the mess (it was actually 2 lawsuits and a bunch of appeals) later if anyone is interested.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
germans? lawsuits? why i never!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

As far as I recall, and obviously the actual military side of WW1 is not my speciality, the pilots can pretty reliably be grouped as toffs because you had to be an officer to be a pilot - I think a few weeks or days ago Trin noted that the RFC was the only service that did things "the right way around", where the ranks waved their officers off to die in ridiculous suicide missions.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Your probably thinking of the Mauser patent lawsuits I. The US. Phone posting so in not dipping a big write up but I'll throw down an explanation of the mess (it was actually 2 lawsuits and a bunch of appeals) later if anyone is interested.

I'm interested, at least.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Here, I have a couple minutes before I run out so I fired up the laptop with all my writing and tracked down the write up I did for TFR a few years back. Man, the best advice I ever took in grad school was to never, ever throw out something you have written.

The American m1903 rifle borrowed heavily from the m93 Mauser rifles that Spain had in Cuba, and which were captured in large numbers by the US during that war. The over-all design was pretty derivative of it, but what got the US in trouble specifically were some patents that Mauser had earlier filed in the US for the magazine system, the design of the stripper clips, the design of the stripper clip feed in the receiver, the safety, the extractor, and the extractor collar. As I recall Mauser didn't actually sue, but the US government realized it was deep into infringement territory and pre-emptively contacted Mauser to negotiate as settlement. This was resolved in 1905 and the royalties were on both rifles and stripper clips, with the royalties capping at $200,000. This was paid out in a handful of installments that finished up within a couple of years.

A few years later there was a separate issue when the US developed the .30-06 cartridge. DWM (of which Mauser was a subsidiary by that time) had filed a patent in the US for the spitzer type bullet and believed that .30-06 was essentially a knock-off of 7mm and 8mm Mauser rounds. DWM approached in 1907 asking for a similar settlement but the Ordinance Department's lawyers thought their case much weaker than the earlier Mauser issue, so they negotiated for a few years. When those negotiations fell apart a lawsuit was finally filed in 1914 a few months before WW1 started. This kicked around the courts for a few years until the US got into the war, at which point the government simply seized the patents as enemy assets. Since the gov't now owned the patents the case was thrown out of court. A few years later, after the war finished, DWM filed suit again alleging this time that the seizure of their patents had been unconstitutional. This was actually a pretty strong case and the courts ruled in favor of DWM and awarded them $300,000 in damages. The government appealed, the case dragged on, until the appeal was eventually rejected in the late 20s. The US was ordered to pay, with interest, on the original damage award. After a decade's worth of interest it came out to a touch over $410,000.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

lenoon posted:

As far as I recall, and obviously the actual military side of WW1 is not my speciality, the pilots can pretty reliably be grouped as toffs because you had to be an officer to be a pilot - I think a few weeks or days ago Trin noted that the RFC was the only service that did things "the right way around", where the ranks waved their officers off to die in ridiculous suicide missions.

Speaking of which, do we have any idea why the gently caress it became standard practice to make aviators officers? Bomber crewmen in WW2 who didn't have a technical position (i.e. pilot, bombardier, navigator, etc) were NCOs, and they only got the NCO ranks so they would get better treatment if captured.

My gut tells me it's something about the sorts of people who got recruited early on for flying roles (i.e. blue bloods who were in the cav) with maybe a sprinkling of naval traditions of having an officer in command of any kind of vessel, but that's just random unfocused speculation on my part.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hunt11 posted:

Can anybody recommend me some good sources on the creation of the clean Werhmacht myth?

Well I can personally recommend The Myth of the Eastern Front as a starting point. It seems the US Army's Centre for Military History also lets you read several of the texts written for the US army by several of the German staff officers, although they're mainly about emphasising their own military prowess rather than total dissociation from the crimes of the Wehrmacht.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

So here's a weird question. Every country would like to have the technological edge in their military if at all possible, and nobody wants to be left behind, so naturally everybody will try to be at least as good as their neighbor and replicate any advancements if they fall behind, right?

So, is that accounted for in patent laws? Is their a specific exception built into patent laws for that sort of thing, or could, say, the US if it wanted to, launch a bunch of lawsuits against other countries for their usage of nuclear weapons after we were the first to develop them, or other similar things?

I suppose in theory but the trouble with suing a nation because it managed to copy your fancy new gun is that they now have a supply of your fancy new gun and you can't exactly send the international bailiffs round to pinch their tank battalions in response.

Legal action sort of requires a monopoly of force to actually work, which isn't present between many nations. Unless you can take something away from them you can't make them do anything.

Hunt11 posted:

Can anybody recommend me some good sources on the creation of the clean Werhmacht myth?

I mean, I'd guess a mix of nationalism, nazi apologism (fascism was/is popular for a reason) and lost cause romanticism, as well as a general fondness for militarism in general, it's pretty easy to just see everything as cool and forget that warfare is primarily a means of wiping out huge numbers of people for little or no long term gain.

But if it originates from a specific place or places I'd be interested too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 5, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

HEY GAL posted:

if you count people dressing up like people from arthurian legend or romans (etc) during tournaments, yes

Wait, really? Isn't that rather tacky?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

Wait, really? Isn't that rather tacky?
the time when people will be told that it's tacky to puff yourself up as much as you can is way, waaay after the period i study

wallenstein had himself painted as Mars, god of war on the ceiling of his own palace.

edit: and once in the hallway, too :iamafag:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

To be fair it is an apt comparision.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Xerxes17 posted:

To be fair it is an apt comparision.
probably the line of thought went that heads of state get to be Jupiter and he wasn't there

maybe

*clears throat, tugs collar*

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well I can personally recommend The Myth of the Eastern Front as a starting point.
come for the good analysis, stay for the hilariously out of date discussion of computer games

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So I guess I should post about Kubinka.

It's a good museum and if you want tanks it certainly has them. The major problem for me was that they have all the tanks near the walls/windows of the hangers so getting good shots with your camera ranges from difficult to impossible. The exception to this being the US/UK hanger which had them in the center of the room and thus in good lighting for shots.

That said I can now say that I have now seen tonnes of poo poo in person like the Object-430.

So, which of you (aside from EE of course) can identify this tank?))

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Xerxes17 posted:

So I guess I should post about Kubinka.

It's a good museum and if you want tanks it certainly has them. The major problem for me was that they have all the tanks near the walls/windows of the hangers so getting good shots with your camera ranges from difficult to impossible. The exception to this being the US/UK hanger which had them in the center of the room and thus in good lighting for shots.

That said I can now say that I have now seen tonnes of poo poo in person like the Object-430.

So, which of you (aside from EE of course) can identify this tank?))

T-90 of some kind?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Polyakov posted:

T-90 of some kind?

Look closer)))

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Xerxes17 posted:

Look closer)))

Is it a gas turbine T-80?

E: or even Object 219A.

Polyakov fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 5, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

HEY GAL posted:

come for the good analysis, stay for the hilariously out of date discussion of computer games

I think it was primarily focusing on the wargame boom of the late 70s/early 80s, not actually video games. Although I'm sure there they would have Strong Opinions on, say, Company of Heroes 2's campaign.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think it was primarily focusing on the wargame boom of the late 70s/early 80s, not actually video games. Although I'm sure there they would have Strong Opinions on, say, Company of Heroes 2's campaign.

That campaign was garbage,

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Polyakov posted:

Is it a gas turbine T-80?

E: or even Object 219A.

Yes, gas turbine.

What makes you say that it is a Object 219A?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I suppose in theory but the trouble with suing a nation because it managed to copy your fancy new gun is that they now have a supply of your fancy new gun and you can't exactly send the international bailiffs round to pinch their tank battalions in response.

Legal action sort of requires a monopoly of force to actually work, which isn't present between many nations.

Not really. A lot of companies involved in the arms trade have international subsidiaries that can be gone after in domestic courts. See the Mauser example. Note that all of those lawsuits pre dated WW1 and were paid out after the war.

If poo poo is ugly enough you also have the levers of international trade policy.

The only time this really breaks down is when the two countries are operating on fundamentally different models of international order, are antagonistic, and give no fucks. Basically the Cold War.

Modern Chinese stuff is a bit more complex but even that doesn't tldr to the only recourse being bombs. In that case it doesn't help that most of the worst offenders are developing for their domestic market and don't have that much foreign exposure.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SeanBeansShako posted:

That campaign was garbage,

I want to see a Bobbin Threadbare-style LP where someone takes time out at the end of each mission to explain just exactly why the preceding footage was total bullshit.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Xerxes17 posted:

Yes, gas turbine.

What makes you say that it is a Object 219A?

Given it was a T-80 i was wondering why it was especially notable, my first thought was the early gas turbine model, then i thought it might be more subtle than that so i looked around at the development models of the T-80 and found a reference i think to the A model being at that museum on Russian wikipedia with a photo of the top of that turret. https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A2-80%D0%90 Given my russian is nonexistant i couldnt really check that pages info very closely so i took a guess it was that.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Ha, that's one way to find out.

Basically, from the original picture I took:

1, roadwheels. (T-80)
2. Kontakt-1 and not 5 mounted. (Can't be a production T-80U)
3. Lack of Kobra radio antenna in front of commander's hatch. (Can't be a T-80B)

Which leaves it to being the Object-219A, sometimes known as the T-80A

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

I want to see a Bobbin Threadbare-style LP where someone takes time out at the end of each mission to explain just exactly why the preceding footage was total bullshit.

Why couldn't they make it like the 1st one and just follow a bunch of Soviet soldiers just fighting the nazis :(.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Xerxes17 posted:

Ha, that's one way to find out.

Basically, from the original picture I took:

1, roadwheels. (T-80)
2. Kontakt-1 and not 5 mounted. (Can't be a production T-80U)
3. Lack of Kobra radio antenna in front of commander's hatch. (Can't be a T-80B)

Which leaves it to being the Object-219A, sometimes known as the T-80A

I found cheating much easier :smaug:

When i found that i was looking for schematic views of all the T-80 variants i could lay my hands on as that is my go to approach for identifying tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno if I would be comfortable climbing that ladder jammed between blocks of ERA.