Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

John Charity Spring posted:

The jump from Witcher 1 to Witcher 2 was the biggest one but he's definitely at his best in 3.

Why is the scar on the wrong eye?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

Why is the scar on the wrong eye?

pictures flipped, thats why his swords are on his left.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The Witcher expansions are about as effectively important as if you're playing an MMO - if you like the base game at all, you should go all the way. The difference is that there is an end and levels are tuned to gate the main questline, and the stories in each expansion is mostly self contained except for B&W.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

30+ hours of gameplay in B&W? Let's not get crazy here.

It took me about 30-35 hours to do most of the side content (not all) and the main quest in Blood & Wine. I don't think I was particularly slow in general - the main game was about 90 hours for me.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

John Charity Spring posted:

It took me about 30-35 hours to do most of the side content (not all) and the main quest in Blood & Wine. I don't think I was particularly slow in general - the main game was about 90 hours for me.

This sounds about right..just checked and I've got 138 hours in the game, which covers the main game (including most side quests plus the Gwent stuff) and both expansions.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Am I missing something about the combat? I'm on the second lowest difficulty and die every fight. I'm up against 4-6 mobs, there's no way I can defend against all of them especially if they have ranged, and every time I attack it puts me into the middle of them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I picked this up on Steam recently in a sale, and am trying to get the graphics right so this is playable. It defaulted to High, but the camera was by default super twitchy and the blur super disorienting. I've fixed those, but now I'm trying to figure out which setting I need to adjust so the voice acting actually matches the lip sync. Usually Visimir will finish speaking words before the second half of his dialogue even loving animates.

Using a GTX 660 Ti, incidentally.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

pisshead posted:

Am I missing something about the combat? I'm on the second lowest difficulty and die every fight. I'm up against 4-6 mobs, there's no way I can defend against all of them especially if they have ranged, and every time I attack it puts me into the middle of them.
Especially early in the game you need to use signs and try dodging around the edges and hitting stragglers rather than diving right in. Kite the closest one away from his friends a little then pop hit, land a few blows, then roll back out. Use short dodges to dodge one attacker, use rolling dodges to roll away from multiple attackers.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I don't dive straight in, I try to draw them off but it doesn't work I just get bumrushed, and there's always a ranged one who kills me from afar.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

pisshead posted:

Invest in the Aard and learn how to roll.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I know how to roll and dodge, it just doesn't seem to help me. I guess I'm just bad at games.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If you can tell me more about what sort of groups you've having trouble with I can write a whole lot of dumb words about this video games combat.

As to ranged dudes specifically, get the parry ranged ability immediately and just watch those fuckers, a perfect parry will send it back at them instead of just elsewhere.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

pisshead posted:

I know how to roll and dodge, it just doesn't seem to help me. I guess I'm just bad at games.

Use a combination of Quen and Tawny Owl. That will give you some protection against enemy bowmen. Also, always target bowmen first, because they are always isolated as they try to take potshots at you. Alternatively, position yourself so the enemy melee fighters are between you and the bowmen. They aren't great shots, and they do a hell of a lot of friendly fire damage.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

pisshead posted:

Well there's your problem, getting surrounded is very bad in witcher 3, attacks to your back deal a ton of extra damage and if any stuns go through you'll die even to low-level groups. Always try to control your position to have all enemies on one side from you - not only it means no more backstabs, but also makes them a great group target for aard or igni signs, or bombs.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Also don't get greedy: three blows at max, pull back, go again

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Never roll, always dodge. Just do it over and over again, get the invulnerability during dodges skill and max it out. The combat is fluid enough you can just hit circle a few times and strafe around humanoids to group them together, then use a quick attack to hit a few at once. Also, always use dodge to move closer to enemies when initiating a fight, and dodge towards the archers.

Seriously I only roll away from AoE stuff from big dudes. Dodging is infinitely better, and doesn't consume stamina.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

pisshead posted:

Don't worry, you'll be slicing and dicing like a witcher before too long. Combat's not that hard once you get the hang of it, but there's no limit on how many enemies can attack at once like in Asscreed or the Batman games, so it can punish you really hard if you approach it wrong. The important thing is to stay in control of the fight. If you feel overwhelmed just run away. Geralt is a bit of a glass cannon in any build compared to most RPG characters.

Definitely gently caress ranged enemies forever though, I feel you. Prioritize archers and run/roll into their grill and hack them to pieces. The quen bubble shield or Yrden trap will both block arrows but ultimately you have to kill those guys.

Some advice in no particular order:

Combat in the Witcher 3 is less about technically excellent button pushes and more about tactics. Use your mobility and tools to control the pace of every fight.

Split up every group fight into multiple one-on-one fights by moving, using signs and bombs as crowd control. You start the game with every tool necessary in this regard, but better bombs and signs are available.

Side-step (dodge sideways) is your best friend. Most enemies in the game can be killed by nothing more than side-stepping and light attack.

Don't bother with blocking except to get a counter-attack. You sacrifice too much mobility for blocking to be worthwhile.

Leaping attacks and attacks with big windups are usually unblockable.

Move towards your targets a bit when attacking, to get a soft lock on the thing you want to attack. Consider using hard lock if you keep attacking the wrong target.

Dodge cancels out of any and all attack animations. Use it when you make a mistake.

Don't feel like you have to attack into a group. Toss a bomb or flash them with the fire sign if they're being obstinate about splitting up.

Don't forget you can hold down A to run while in combat.

If you feel like groups of fast enemies are applying too much pressure to even hit and sidestep one, back off and use crowd control.

-----

Specifically for archers, get your Quen shield or Yrden trap because it's much better than the arrow-blocking skill. Dive on them and kill them. Axii them if you can't dive on them. Throw Devil's Puffball or Samum to stun them. Humans by far the most common ranged enemies, so spam Axii if you're having trouble with them.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 5, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Also for the love of god use a controller if you're trying to use a mouse and keyboard, it is three times easier

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Transmetropolitan posted:

Also don't get greedy: three blows at max, pull back, go again

are we talking about Witcher combat or sleeping with sorceresses

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Also get Blizzard, it makes fights against groups pretty easy. It appears to do nothing but once you kill something time slows down and you can go on a murder spree.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In other news, I started reading the books and hooooly poo poo is the Witcher world sexist. Makes Ice Queen Yennifer a lot more understandable. She's willing to play the badguy because people seriously treat her like poo poo. No wonder Triss gets pushed around, Triss is way too eager for approval.

Also it's clear in the books that Yen is deeply hurt when Geralt disappears on her to go wandering, and that's the source of her anger at him. She's a bit of a loner herself, Geralt is the only person she's ever opened up to and trusted, and then one day he just disappeared with like a note on the table and didn't see her for three years.

In Witcher 3 he's disappeared again and turned up loving her best friend. So yeah she's got an attitude.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Not to mention Yen was kidnapped for awhile by a bunch of rear end in a top hat dimensional elves. Yen has good reason to be rather bitter.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arglebargle III posted:

In other news, I started reading the books and hooooly poo poo is the Witcher world sexist. Makes Ice Queen Yennifer a lot more understandable. She's willing to play the badguy because people seriously treat her like poo poo. No wonder Triss gets pushed around, Triss is way too eager for approval.

Also it's clear in the books that Yen is deeply hurt when Geralt disappears on her to go wandering, and that's the source of her anger at him. She's a bit of a loner herself, Geralt is the only person she's ever opened up to and trusted, and then one day he just disappeared with like a note on the table and didn't see her for three years.

In Witcher 3 he's disappeared again and turned up loving her best friend. So yeah she's got an attitude.

The best is when Yen starts a letter to Geralt with "Dear Friend". The game also has this.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Accordion Man posted:

Not to mention Yen was kidnapped for awhile by a bunch of rear end in a top hat dimensional elves. Yen has good reason to be rather bitter.

AFTER a promise of eternal life in paradise with her beloved. Just puts salt into the wound, IMO.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Arglebargle III posted:

Don't forget you can hold down A to run while in combat.
What's the button on PC? Or do you mean the whole "I'm running, I'm running annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I've turned around and am slowly moonwalking away from the enemy I wanted to run from"?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Use a combination of Quen and Tawny Owl. That will give you some protection against enemy bowmen. Also, always target bowmen first, because they are always isolated as they try to take potshots at you. Alternatively, position yourself so the enemy melee fighters are between you and the bowmen. They aren't great shots, and they do a hell of a lot of friendly fire damage.

Oh right, it's been a while. Quen, not Aard. And yeah, use a controller.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Spoilers because I haven't yet finished blood and wine and maybe someone else hasn't.

I'm kinda late to playing it but already completely immersed in the drat expansion. Just had the part with the artsy-fartsy party and Orianna seemed familiar. Then I recognized her from the trailer. Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo. Can't wait to see what happens after the party :ohdear:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Well that's the base game done. I'll probably wait a while to start the expansions so as not to burn out.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There are a few episodes in the books I wish the games would do. Geralt gets hired to hash out an argument between a duke and his mermaid girlfriend about who has to transform so they can live together.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Well that's the base game done. I'll probably wait a while to start the expansions so as not to burn out.

Probably a wise idea...I went through the base game and HoS really quick, but definitely started to get burned out during B&W.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arglebargle III posted:

There are a few episodes in the books I wish the games would do. Geralt gets hired to hash out an argument between a duke and his mermaid girlfriend about who has to transform so they can live together.

Lots of the story elements are referenced in W1, including this story. There is even a similar quest where you can broker peace between a water people and the local villagers.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arglebargle III posted:

The ending of that story. God drat. Team Essi Daven

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

DoctorGonzo posted:

The ending of that story. God drat. Team Essi Daven

this.

that whole story is loving great. i was kinda hoping the vodyanoi would turn up properly in witcher 3 or something since other than that story and witcher 1 they felt kinda wasted.

edit: oh yeah i forgot they turned up in season of storms but eh gently caress that book. or rather gently caress the fan translation.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 6, 2016

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Priscilla seems like a rough analog to Essi in Witcher 3, but CDPR failed to make everyone cry in a few minutes of investment.

Is there a reference to her in the first Witcher game though? Technically she should be in rough proximity to Geralt around the time.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Made it back to the point where I stopped (by skipping basically every line of dialogue) and Yen is not mysteriously absent from her room this time :toot:

Man, I'm not gonna say I'm not using mods at all anymore but I tell you what, my days of fast-traveling from anywhere I please are over

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have to say the books do a great job of veering between crapsack world and buddy comedy.

I think the Witcher 1 game takes place around eight years after Sword of Destiny, meaning Essi is in a grave outside Vizima. :qq:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arglebargle III posted:

I have to say the books do a great job of veering between crapsack world and buddy comedy.

I think the Witcher 1 game takes place around eight years after Sword of Destiny, meaning Essi is in a grave outside Vizima. :qq:

A lot more than 8 years I think. It's 5 years after the last novel and those are chronologically after sword of destiny. I'd use Ciri's age as a guide. Maybe not a lot more now that I'm thinking about it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ciri is 10 in Sword of Destiny and maybe 20 in Witcher 3, which takes place about a year after Witcher 1. In any case Essi has been dead for five years or more as of the first game.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
The Catriona plague is what's going on in Vizima during Witcher 1 I thought. Are there multiple plagues or does the plague last for years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

necrobobsledder posted:

The Catriona plague is what's going on in Vizima during Witcher 1 I thought. Are there multiple plagues or does the plague last for years?

Yes.