Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

chumbler posted:

Has anyone been following the new series from the Soul Eater author? I keep meaning to check it out but never get around to it.
It's thoroughly mediocre in a way that almost makes you wish it were bad because then at least it might be interesting to talk about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Yep, and it plays them well

Gash Bell works as well as it does because of the humor and the genuinely like-able characters. The MC is also pretty unique for a shounen protagonist.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Using fermats last theorem as the basis of a joke was pretty bold. It also manages to make the stakes of the faudo arc really high without it then ruining the final arc

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Zatch Bell is so good and I loooove how intense the run up to the two final fights is

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'd sure love the latest issue of WSJ to drop on Kindle, that'd be great right 'bout now.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'd sure love the latest issue of WSJ to drop on Kindle, that'd be great right 'bout now.

????

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Erg posted:

Zatch Bell is so good and I loooove how intense the run up to the two final fights is

it manages to consistently up the stakes in a way that most manga don't manage

also those faces. i need mroe vector ball to read

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Better renew your membership! I need to renew mine, too...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

new magi is good as is all since the stupid war. SJ needs to curb editor powers in a lot of cases

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Silento posted:

Better renew your membership! I need to renew mine, too...

I set mine to auto-renew. That date is meaningless to me.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

No, On Kindle. I have a paperwhite and if you get WSJ anywhere else it won't sync to your Kindle's account (which is bollocks because Kindle contents sync to Comixology but not the other way around and is a massive pain in the balls)

Also I don't sub to WSJ because we (PAL region) get dicked out of the YuGiOh Cards (essentaly meaning we can't make back the cost via ebaying those) and I'm only really interested in reading the Jump Start stuff and could barely care less about anything that isn't MHA, OP or Food Wars which I just get on GNs on my kindle anyway.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 1, 2016

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That's a screenshot from my Kindle Fire

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jose posted:

new magi is good as is all since the stupid war. SJ needs to curb editor powers in a lot of cases

Do editors really have that much power, and do they really use it for evil that often? The only major case of editorial interference I can remember a mangaka discussing openly is Toriyama's editor telling him that the Androids had crappy designs (and he had a point; 19 in particular looks awful), leading to Cell being introduced to replace them as the villain.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
We really don't get many stories for general PR reasons (they want to act like everyone gets along at the company), and we also never hear about all the times an editor has saved a series with a dumb author.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Clarste posted:

We really don't get many stories for general PR reasons (they want to act like everyone gets along at the company), and we also never hear about all the times an editor has saved a series with a dumb author.

I'd say getting rid of Android 19 counts as saving a series with a dumb author, heh.

I also vaguely remember Tite Kubo suggesting at some point that he wasn't getting enough editorial feedback, which would explain a lot about Bleach.

I actually suspect the threat of cancellation for declining ratings stifles mangaka creativity a lot more than direct editor input does.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jose posted:

new magi is good as is all since the stupid war.
It's been really good for a while, pretty much once Alibaba came back.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i could read about shokuhou and railgun investigating super science abominations forever

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Do editors really have that much power, and do they really use it for evil that often? The only major case of editorial interference I can remember a mangaka discussing openly is Toriyama's editor telling him that the Androids had crappy designs (and he had a point; 19 in particular looks awful), leading to Cell being introduced to replace them as the villain.

who knows but the entire war was a mess, really long and totally out of character for the rest of the series. It probably got great ratings so it was like 20 chapters instead of 5 or something

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jose posted:

who knows but the entire war was a mess, really long and totally out of character for the rest of the series. It probably got great ratings so it was like 20 chapters instead of 5 or something

I don't read Magi, but 20 chapters seems short for an entire war.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

You should it's really good but that bit was more just incomprehensible super moves not working for a lot of chapters

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is the war arc immediately after the magician-city arc with Anime Gandalf? I remember dropping Magi about then because the entire arc seemed headed towards an obvious conclusion and I got bored waiting for the reveals I knew were coming.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are basically two "war" arcs, one that was about the siege of the magician-city (I've also forgotten the name) and one that involved a civil war within the Kou empire. The former was one that a lot of people got sick of because it descended rather suddenly into DBZ-styled fights between a huge number of characters for a long period. The fights in Magi are fine when they are more or less one-on-one but by large the fights are not what makes Magi memorable in the first place, so an extended segment of just fights is kind of boring. The civil war I don't remember being nearly as bad, it was shorter at least.

Magi is in its final arc at the moment but it's been a pretty long time since either war so you dropped it around then it might be worth diving back in because there's been a lot of good stuff as of late.

Serious Frolicking posted:

i could read about shokuhou and railgun investigating super science abominations forever
It's been long enough between the chapters that I kind of forgot about the circumstances between some of these characters. For example I thought the cyborg was still partly organic, but the whole point (after rereading the previous few chapters) is that they put the organic version back together and presumably put all of the mechanical components into a pure robot which now has a "soul". It's confusing because both characters still have the different colored skin for where their heads were surgically removed.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Allarion posted:

That's a screenshot from my Kindle Fire

No, Viz have been releasing WSJ on the Kindle's book store for a while now and given that syncs with my comixology libary that's where I get it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
New chapter of Promised Neverland is up on Mangastream.

I'm starting to get annoyed with the constant "those guys sure are smart!" internal monologue.

I actually think Mama has made a mistake here. As I see it, the main thing stopping them from just killing Mama was how the other kids would react to it. Now they have Sister Krone to pin it on.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gloomy Rube posted:

But gosh, they're really being jerks these days, huh?

there is literally no reason to use batoto over kissmanga unless you are super super worried about :filez: (i.e. you either work in the industry or are an absolute ninny who freaks out when your mango site has DBZ and Berserk available)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its gives bad adverts if you're on a phone

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Silver2195 posted:

New chapter of Promised Neverland is up on Mangastream.

I'm starting to get annoyed with the constant "those guys sure are smart!" internal monologue.

I actually think Mama has made a mistake here. As I see it, the main thing stopping them from just killing Mama was how the other kids would react to it. Now they have Sister Krone to pin it on.
Ray is still the only member of the main trio who seems particularly smart, and even he falls short of the super genius standards promised by the first chapter. I'm also not sure why the technologically superior monsters don't have hidden cameras - at least around the gate and walls if they're worried about one of the kids finding one in the house. You can already buy some pretty small cameras now, and this story is implied to be taking place several years in the future.

Even if you accept there are reasons they just can't or don't or won't, this still seems like it's gonna be a series where the protagonists win because the villains are stupid.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jose posted:

its gives bad adverts if you're on a phone
what kinda goober doesn't have adblock on their phone

coathat
May 21, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

there is literally no reason to use batoto over kissmanga unless you are super super worried about :filez: (i.e. you either work in the industry or are an absolute ninny who freaks out when your mango site has DBZ and Berserk available)

Batoto lets you pick which translation to read so you don't have to read lovely versions. And since it lists what group translated a series you can get good recommendations that way.

It's funny to see people on a forum you have to pay money to join complain about making a free account to use a website.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

what kinda goober doesn't have adblock on their phone

what do you recommend becuase i asked in the android thread and got replies that there aren't any

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, they're technically right, but I use Firefox with the adblock plus plugin and that works great. Only problem is that when you first start up the browser after a restart, the plugin needs to load, so if your open page is a page with ads they'll load until abp finishes starting up, then it'll kill them.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

coathat posted:

Batoto lets you pick which translation to read so you don't have to read lovely versions. And since it lists what group translated a series you can get good recommendations that way.

It's funny to see people on a forum you have to pay money to join complain about making a free account to use a website.

this is correct, batoto is good

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
When I learned about that browser add on to load everything in one page, I hopped over to Batoto and never went back. It's basically everything I ever wanted!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Batoto... is good.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Batato actually fixes their upload mistakes for one thing.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

DrSunshine posted:

When I learned about that browser add on to load everything in one page, I hopped over to Batoto and never went back. It's basically everything I ever wanted!

Which is this? I saw and tried Hexa's addon but it's not working for Batoto for me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sarcophallus posted:

Which is this? I saw and tried Hexa's addon but it's not working for Batoto for me.

I use the Manga Loader greasemonkey script

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Allarion posted:

I use the Manga Loader greasemonkey script

Yup, it's that one.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just bought and read the first two volumes of Assassination Classroom. Considering the series finished up I decided it'd be better to continue posting about it here instead of its old thread. I'm still trying to memorise most of the students' names but I figure that's not too important right now and I only need to focus on the important ones like Nagisa and Karma until the others show up more often. The early going so far really reminds me of the first part of Reborn! in a really great way. I'm still disappointed that series became absolute garbage midway through the Future Arc. I'm also getting some Air Gear vibes though I think Kogarasumaru is still my favourite school delinquent group and Oh Great! draws the best faces and background arguments. I think he might be one of my favourite mangaka overall from an art perspective because he makes me think "goddamn that looks cool" more than almost any other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Promised Neverland continues to be a show burn with interesting art. It still feels wildly out of place in WSJ but we've got no less than 5 battlemanga going so It's cool with me.