Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
They changed a ton of engine stuff this patch, it'll probably be a while before they iron all the kinks out. Good news is the game's performance is way better for most people who aren't you :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

There's been a bunch of new crashes introduced this patch, it's normally a very stable game all in all. Some are more common than others - are you using any trap skills by chance?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Thanks diviner, 28 cards lol

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
So....pathfinder BV feels very clunky and unwieldy right now (towards end of Cruel diff). Part of the problem is that I'm using ZiggyD's build (he went CI around 70), but also he's using a main BV and then a secondary BV (for curses), and I'm wondering if that's really the best option. Granted, once I get to where I can spam quicksilver (per Rodent), maybe it'll be better -- I dunno tho.

This is what I have thus far tho:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/shinino/characters

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Can I get a guild invite for noffagrav?

(This game's great. Arc is great.)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

No Friend of Gravity posted:

Can I get a guild invite for noffagrav?

(This game's great. Arc is great.)

done

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Shinino Kage posted:

So....pathfinder BV feels very clunky and unwieldy right now (towards end of Cruel diff). Part of the problem is that I'm using ZiggyD's build (he went CI around 70), but also he's using a main BV and then a secondary BV (for curses), and I'm wondering if that's really the best option. Granted, once I get to where I can spam quicksilver (per Rodent), maybe it'll be better -- I dunno tho.

This is what I have thus far tho:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/shinino/characters

I used curse on hit but tbh no reason to not use blasphemy. I know zigs build gets mind over matter tho

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So what exactly do I do re: builds and skill gems while leveling, I'm just kind of using whatever skills I find and am mucking along okay but it doesn't feel very... coherent? I guess that's the word

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

New league started?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Bob NewSCART posted:

New league started?

No, of course not.

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world

Ciaphas posted:

So what exactly do I do re: builds and skill gems while leveling, I'm just kind of using whatever skills I find and am mucking along okay but it doesn't feel very... coherent? I guess that's the word

Generally you want to focus on 1-2 skills and look for gear with linked sockets that'll let you attach support gems to that skill. Make sure to check the vendors in town since they sell skill/support gems after certain quests in each act.

For spellcasters you can level with Firestorm very easily regardless of your final build and you get it in Act 1. In Act 2 you have access to more support gems and Herald of X skills. Act 3 gets you more auras and high-end attack skills, and Act 4 has niche skill/support gems.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ciaphas posted:

Not an expert, but what I generally do is pick a skill and class (and weapon if necessary) from the start (even if I don't want to use it right away), look up or (if you're more experienced) plan a build around it, then go from there.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Bob NewSCART posted:

New league started?

New league new expansion play game it is good

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

killstealing posted:

I used curse on hit but tbh no reason to not use blasphemy. I know zigs build gets mind over matter tho

He isn't using Mind over Matter because he goes CI -- and if you aren't taking damage in life, MoM doesn't do anything.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Shinino Kage posted:

He isn't using Mind over Matter because he goes CI -- and if you aren't taking damage in life, MoM doesn't do anything.

I thought ziggy used the forum build, my bad. then honestly idk why you wouldnt use blasphemy when you're at the point you can keep up 20 charges on 15% mana

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Think my first purchase should be a 5l bow or rats nest? Damage seems fine right now.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Started up a Sunder 2H Mace Templar, having a lot of fun these first 30 levels; using Heavy Strike for solo targets seems to work well. Haven't grabbed any mace specific nodes yet, so could still swap over to axes as well. I've got Resolute Technique right now to give up crits and always hit, but I'm probably going to grab Inquisitor for my ascendancy; should I drop Resolute Technique and start scooping up crit chance / elemental damage nodes around the time I do? Right now giving up 5% crit chance for the jump from 80% to 100% to hit is a no brainer, but I wonder if I shouldn't drop it later one.

e: Basically looking at a core of this: https://www.poeurl.com/LhX

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 5, 2016

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Does the chill from Vortex apply before damage? For the purposes of getting Hypothermia to apply to the initial hit.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.

Mo_Steel posted:

Started up a Sunder 2H Mace Templar, having a lot of fun these first 30 levels; using Heavy Strike for solo targets seems to work well. Haven't grabbed any mace specific nodes yet, so could still swap over to axes as well. I've got Resolute Technique right now to give up crits and always hit, but I'm probably going to grab Inquisitor for my ascendancy; should I drop Resolute Technique and start scooping up crit chance / elemental damage nodes around the time I do? Right now giving up 5% crit chance for the jump from 80% to 100% to hit is a no brainer, but I wonder if I shouldn't drop it later one.

e: Basically looking at a core of this: https://www.poeurl.com/LhX

Aren't there skills that are literally just better than heavy strike? Like molten strike?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

baby puzzle posted:

Aren't there skills that are literally just better than heavy strike? Like molten strike?

No idea? I remember Heavy Strike being the def-facto single target damage dealer back in the day I thought and it's been a while since I've played.

Heavy Strike: Deals (150-193.7)% of Base Attack Damage

Molten Strike: Deals (120-146.6)% of Base Attack Damage
60% of Physical Damage Converted to Fire Damage
2 additional Projectiles
40% less Projectile Damage

With the right supports maybe it would do more based on how often thew orbs overlap on the single target? :shrug: I'm open to suggestions.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Can I get an invite for glad_dad?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is getting skill gems you want hard at all, or are all of the gems builds get based on available pretty early on? I'm still in A1 though I think I'm near the end if I'm in the jail.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
No. Getting every single skill gem you need is quite easy now. And you're more like halfway through A1.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Is getting skill gems you want hard at all, or are all of the gems builds get based on available pretty early on? I'm still in A1 though I think I'm near the end if I'm in the jail.

99% of gems can be bought at vendors for pretty cheap by the end of normal difficulty, although not all by one class so you might need to get people in guild to grab you one.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Close enough :v: I might restart with a more concrete plan in mind now that I have a (very slightly) better idea how the game works.

Some questions while I drawl through the gamepedia wiki-

- With Ascendancy, does class choice mean significantly more than a starting location on the grid now? Do classes get any unique skills, or is it purely passives?
- What do I keep and what do I sell and what do I not even bother picking up? What's worth stashing?
- Story and lore interesting enough to pay attention to? I know most of you lot have been through it all several times by now but still
- There really don't seem to be any holy smiting type skills and that makes me sad :(
- Is guild membership by character or by account? gently caress everything ever if it's the former, argh

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 6, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Class choice is now pretty big. No unique skills but pretty much every ascendency has some pretty gamechanging passives.
Keep uniques (although a lot are kinda poo poo), sell rares you won't use (you want life + resists on gear, damage on weapons) and all currency
Lore is kinda okay but its not something most people pay attention to
By account but you're invited by character for some reason

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
It's probably too much to take in right now, but you can see all the ascendancies and their passives here: https://www.pathofexile.com/ascendancy/classes/
What to pick up and what not to is pretty complex, but you can download a loot filter which will hide items you shouldn't pick up and highlight most you should. I'm not sure which one is popular since I roll my own and people have been complaining about Neversink's changes this patch.
Lore is pretty interesting in that its largely inspired by Lovecraft and Maori mythology. The stuff that you click on to play voiceovers are generally the most interesting stuff (e.g. all of Kaom's lieutenant's rock carvings in act 1 are nice), followed by asking the masters about poo poo. The non-master townsfolk are generally mundane.

Post a character name with a guild invite request.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Can I get an invite for CoffinTime

Trying a Essence Drain/Contagion build for this league.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
guild invite for Ivybeanz please

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Neversink's loot filter hasn't been cooperating for me since the patch. What are the other go to filters?

Edit : yes I've grabbed the new version specific to this patch.

i can still taste him fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 6, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I played bv back in perandus, and I linked power charge on crit and a curse-curse on hit to my secondary bv for the utility. Just hit that button every few seconds.

Aericura
Jun 12, 2003
I will eat your soul.

Dza posted:

Neversink's loot filter hasn't been cooperating for me since the patch. What are the other go to filters?

This one is pretty okay.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1259059

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I use this one https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1566921
Greengroove's Loot Filter Scripts v 2.2.0 - ATLAS OF WORLDS - leveling - racing - endgame - detailed

pandasnotdrugs
Sep 15, 2007
Could I please get an invite to the guild? Thank you kindly.

char: pandasexplode

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
Open the filter in notepad and save it as utf-8 format. That might help. However, I am also using the filter rat posted

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Anyone have any suggestions on my fireball + flamesurge totem scion build? thinking about picking up Mind Barrier but not sure in lieu of what

http://www.pathofexile.com/fullscre...O988Wzy0vfX-WU=

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Invite Arcsorcs to the guild, maybe.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mo_Steel posted:

No idea? I remember Heavy Strike being the def-facto single target damage dealer back in the day I thought and it's been a while since I've played.

Heavy Strike: Deals (150-193.7)% of Base Attack Damage

Molten Strike: Deals (120-146.6)% of Base Attack Damage
60% of Physical Damage Converted to Fire Damage
2 additional Projectiles
40% less Projectile Damage

With the right supports maybe it would do more based on how often thew orbs overlap on the single target? :shrug: I'm open to suggestions.

HS also pushes the target around, making multi strike pointless, while MS + multistrike = ultra violence (assuming a 4L with added phys and WED).

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Dza posted:

Neversink has worked okay for me, but why exactly is it alerting with that noise every time sorcerer boots drop? gently caress sorcerer boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
They are the base for Skyforth

• Locked thread