Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

the_steve posted:

More of this please.

Most definitely. More, please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

the_steve posted:

More of this please.

Grog! Grog! Grog junior grog grog junior.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Admittedly, as a DM, I'm kind of stingy with magical items. One of my players is really experienced and he pointed this out. Mostly as a joke, I gave the Dwarven cleric a bottomless stein and the Elven Paladin got this:

He accepts the item with a modicum of fuss and promptly forgets about it.

Several sessions later, they come upon a prison... except it appears to be a single story log cabin with no guards around it. The door is unlocked and when they open it, they realize that the cabin is in fact a Colossal Mimic. During the course of the battle, the Paladin gets grappled and swallowed and for the life of him, he can't seem to make any of his saves.

One of other players looks up at him. "Wait a minute. Do you still have that magical spice shaker?"

He manages to grab the spice shaker and conjures up the most insanely hot spice known to fantasy roleplaying games and the mimic spits him out.

I've never, ever let him live it down.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Writer Cath posted:

Admittedly, as a DM, I'm kind of stingy with magical items. One of my players is really experienced and he pointed this out. Mostly as a joke, I gave the Dwarven cleric a bottomless stein and the Elven Paladin got this:

Several sessions later, they come upon a prison... except it appears to be a single story log cabin with no guards around it. The door is unlocked and when they open it, they realize that the cabin is in fact a Colossal Mimic. During the course of the battle, the Paladin gets grappled and swallowed and for the life of him, he can't seem to make any of his saves.

One of other players looks up at him. "Wait a minute. Do you still have that magical spice shaker?"

He manages to grab the spice shaker and conjures up the most insanely hot spice known to fantasy roleplaying games and the mimic spits him out.

Now, the responsible thing is to be weaponizing this spice. Or monetizing it. Or both.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

the_steve posted:

Now, the responsible thing is to be weaponizing this spice. Or monetizing it. Or both.
[obligatory] "The spice must FLOW!!!" [/obligatory]

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Writer Cath posted:

Good; you should. Ungrateful bastard doesn't even realise that he's been blessed; he'll never run short of cumin again.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
loving players

A magic spice-grinder is the best, I'd literally rather have that than a +numbers sword or w/e

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Motherfucker posted:

loving players

A magic spice-grinder is the best, I'd literally rather have that than a +numbers sword or w/e

+magic swords come and go, but a magic knick-knack with a niche use is forever.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Next they need to fight a giant slug.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Was it the Reaper pepper that made those girls cry?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I have run multiple characters who would have immediately hauled the party off on the most extreme tangent imaginable if they even heard a rumor of that item's existence. Well, to be honest, they were all iterations of the same basic concept.

But yes, the more niche and esoteric a magic item, the more interesting a use players will find for it.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

These are a few of the random/fun items I gave the party in my last campaign:

Ring of Floating - The user becomes weightless, translucent, and turns a random color. They float off the ground but due to their weightlessness have no way to actually propel themselves. They just bob in the air like a balloon and will float away unless tethered.

No activation needed. Just put the ring and start floating. It became a favorite item of the party's full-plated cavalier. Or should I say it became a favorite of the party to put on the cavalier. He hated it because he felt so... useless wearing it and was subject to the whim of whoever was holding his string.

Aerdy’s Flask - Produces a gallon of a different random liquid every day.
1 - fresh cool water
2 - fresh hot, near boiling water
3 - muddy water that tastes slightly metallic but is otherwise harmless
4 - wine
5 - goat's milk
6 - chamomile tea
7 - apple cider
8 - banana custard

You've never seen excitement like the excitement that overtakes a party of road-weary adventurers like when they roll that daily d8 and end up getting a heaping helping of banana custard. They found all sorts of uses for this thing.

The party had way more fun finding creative uses for these things than they did with a bigger number on their weapon.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

These are a few of the random/fun items I gave the party in my last campaign:

Ring of Floating - The user becomes weightless, translucent, and turns a random color. They float off the ground but due to their weightlessness have no way to actually propel themselves. They just bob in the air like a balloon and will float away unless tethered.

No activation needed. Just put the ring and start floating. It became a favorite item of the party's full-plated cavalier. Or should I say it became a favorite of the party to put on the cavalier. He hated it because he felt so... useless wearing it and was subject to the whim of whoever was holding his string.

Aerdy’s Flask - Produces a gallon of a different random liquid every day.
1 - fresh cool water
2 - fresh hot, near boiling water
3 - muddy water that tastes slightly metallic but is otherwise harmless
4 - wine
5 - goat's milk
6 - chamomile tea
7 - apple cider
8 - banana custard

You've never seen excitement like the excitement that overtakes a party of road-weary adventurers like when they roll that daily d8 and end up getting a heaping helping of banana custard. They found all sorts of uses for this thing.

The party had way more fun finding creative uses for these things than they did with a bigger number on their weapon.

I love stuff like this. As effective a tool as it is, the Pathfinder equipment book lacks a lot of fun, dumb stuff. I found myself making up more and more stuff on my own for our comic Pathfinder game. I would still use the equipment guide to generate combat poo poo, and to chase that ever-elusive "Vorpal Sword of Mercy." (I could have just handed one out to the group without randomly generating it, but that takes all the fun out of it. I felt like I had to earn it.) But the fun stuff always comes from home-brewed items.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Writer Cath posted:

So, when do you send the platoon of covetous, bloodthirsty chefs after the party?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Phy posted:

So, when do you send the platoon of covetous, bloodthirsty chefs after the party?
Only when you want to spice up the combat encounters.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lorak posted:

Only when you want to spice up the combat encounters.

Sounds like a good way to make your players salty.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

At the very least you'll know which ones make the cut.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It'd be good way to make the transition from fledgling adventurers to seasoned heroes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
An old DM had a thing for containers of endless foo for a while. Water. Urine. Oranges. Decanters.

At one point, near the end of this huge dungeon we were crawling, he described us opening a door on a naked man who immediately shoved his junk in a canteen and died because of the hungry otyugh in an extradimensional space inside.

Dude had some issues.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

the_steve posted:

It'd be good way to make the transition from fledgling adventurers to seasoned heroes.

If I could offer some sage advice my Pap rikammended once: peppering your dialogue with too many spicy puns in too short a thyme will only earn you a chili reception, and if you don't cut the mustard, or even only succeed parshley, you may find yourself thrown in the river, where the crocodiles snap at your fingers and the gar lick your toes

Herbs au Provence

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Doodmons posted:

On the topic of character death:

I've been gaming for about six years now, and pretty much in a permanent state of at least 2 games a week - usually 4 or 5. I'm fortunate to a) be a member of a university gaming club that isn't terrible and b) have a group of friends who are as obsessive about tabletop RPGs as I am. In all that time, I had never once lost a character. This includes in the local LARP system, where out of a party of 60-odd at the start of the year, there were five survivors. I survived twice. (one of my characters cut and ran before the final battle - and made it out through the custom-statted death encounter the GM threw at him - and the other survived the final battle)

A couple of months ago I had my first three character deaths within the span of two weeks - two of them in the same game.

Character death 1:
Cousin Steve the voodoo necromancer. This was in a homebrew system where we were playing a group of professional monster hunters in a modern day horror setting. Think Supernatural, but with a gang of hardened killers in SWAT gear instead of a pair of male models. I can't really exaggerate how lethal this system was: a basic hit from an AK47 did 24 damage in a system where a human being probably has 14-16. Supernatural creatures were far more dangerous than that, and the group of vampires we were hunting had notably hired a PMC to come kill us - a squad of specops guys with military hardware. Cousin Steve was unusually stronk - he had 32 hitpoints thanks to some voodoo I did and could survive a grand total of two AK hits before dying instantly. Cousin Steve survived a hell of a lot of poo poo he shouldn't have, such as being shot directly in the face, being in car crashes, getting in a massive gunfight with the above PMC while stark naked, fighting three full-blooded vampires at once. Unfortunately, no small amount of him being able to survive all of that bullshit was that he had a bad habit of making deals with one of the Loa Barons - Baron Criminelle, the Forbidden Baron. The first murderer, Baron Criminelle was basically voodoo Satan - he was kept chained up in Hell by chains made from the souls of the damned and spent all of his time trying to break out. Baron Criminelle would help a brother out at combat speed, no bullshit, the only catch being that the price was you had to help him break out. Cousin Steve had made that deal one too many times to the point that Steve was manifesting ethereal chains around his body. It had to stop, and the other Barons put a hit out on him.

It should be noted that Cousin Steve wasn't some insane maverick, he was a hardcore loyalist of the Barons and wasn't trying to gently caress them over or anything. He knew what he had done was bad. Unfortunately, he had sworn a greater oath to the hunter organisation to which the party belonged - one in which his family was collateral for Steve's continued service. His backstory was that his family were a powerful group of vooodoo houngans who had negotiated to be taken off the kill list of the hunter organisation in exchange for the greatest child of each generation being sworn to the service of the hunters. That was Steve. So when the Barons sent a Hangman - a powerful spirit of vengeance, which hanged oathbreakers with near-unbreakable ethereal nooses - to stop Steve, he had no choice but to try and fight it off, as much as he wanted to go quietly. The GM had outright statted this thing to murder Steve. He wasn't going to cheat or anything, but we both knew what had to happen and the GM had little to no expectation of Steve walking out alive. So when what was supposed to be a beatdown and a hanging turned into a drawn out, knockdown, wall-shaking murderbrawl during which Steve literally refused to choke to death by rolling crit success after crit success, smashing furniture over its head, setting it on fire, dragging it over to where discarded firearms were before emptying the magazines into its face etc, the whole table was looking on in as much astonishment as I was feeling. It took like half an hour real-time and something hilarious like eight or nine solid minutes ingame, but the burned, beaten, badly mangled Hangman eventually got its corpse.

I felt okay about having finally lost a character. Went down swinging was no exaggeration.

Character death 2:
Richard Locke the mercenary werewolf. Same game, replacement character. The campaign was gearing up towards its end stages. The vampires we were hunting were trying to summon a demon powerful enough to destroy the eastern seaboard of the US. Our organisation was reeling, broken. Its commanders had almost all been assassinated. Our party were suffering - most were dead, the rest were wanted by the FBI and the State Police due to the machinations of the vampires. The bloodsuckers had called in every favour they had. Aside from the PMC there were a group of werecrocodiles, some werebeast bounty hunters, a cabal of summoned demons and a demonic cult all gunning for our heads. We had no remaining safehouses, no way to get the medical treatment that we badly needed. Things weren't going well, to put it lightly. The final session of the campaign was possibly one of the most epic I have ever played in. We did the same thing as the vampires: we called in all our favours. There was a big meeting with almost every named NPC in the entire campaign. Our list of allies was nearly as long as theirs and included such ridiculous things as one of the Voudoun Barons, a pair of Fae Royalty and their Silver Host bodyguards, our own friendly demons, Steve's family and the remaining hunters of our organisation. The rest of the session was basically an extended Tet Offensive into the Louisiana swamps where the vampires were summoning the apocalyptically powerful demon. Too much happened to go into detail but highlights include: throwing a bag of C4 down the throat of a truck-sized flesh demon; a hunter putting a vampire into a triangle choke and holding him down while screaming at the others to flamethrower them, then keeping the vampire still until it fried to death; the firearms-focused Locke getting increasingly irate that the holy sword he borrowed was doing a lot more than his M4 assault rifle; the discovery that Kolkaran Ice Demons are badly misnamed and can also control fire, when an attempt to flamethrower it to death turned into it grabbing all the flames and sending them back at us; someone actually badly injuring the Fae Prince we had with us and him flipping out; Steve's spirit familiar manifesting in the form of a horse-sized dog and winning a 1v1 with a demon. By the time we got to the summoning circle, only three members of the party were still standing out of our original five and most of our allies were dead. The only thing that stood between us and victory was a group of the most powerful blood mages to have ever lived - who were all also either demons or elder vampires to boot. Locke's death was on the final round of the combat - he had previously set a timer on all of his remaining C4 and put it in his backpack, just in case we all died. On the final round before it was going to go off, he successfully passed a staking roll on the leader of the vampire mages - on the same initiative tick that the vampire swung its etheral death scythe into him. Both of us were instantly killed and one of the party dramatically dived onto the C4, disarming it while the countdown timer showed 0:01. We saved the world - at a massive cost of human life.

That one felt good too - straight out of a movie.

Character death 3:
Father Giacomo, Lasombra Justicar. An insane, high-powered, all the safeties taken off campaign of the Old World of Darkness.Those of you who keep up with the WoD thread may remember my posts about this campaign - it was the one where we had a transdimensional doom fortress in a system that's supposed to be about gritty, street-level politicking and murder. For those of you who don't know the world of darkness that well, Father Giacomo's title won't be setting off the alarm bells that it would do for a WoD veteran. Without going into exhausting detail, vampires in oWoD are divided up into subspecies/social groups called clans, and the clans have largely split into two factions who are currently in a state of bloody global war: the Camarilla and the Sabbat. In oWoD you are very much supposed to play as the Camarilla - they're the good guys in as much as a gang of vampires who control the world can be the good guys. The Sabbat are even more murderous, even more insane and even more evil and they (until much later in the line) are very much antagonists only. Clan Lasombra (aka the clan of shadows) are exclusively found in the Sabbat in that they're the ones who started the loving thing. Their custom vampire superpower called Obtenebration is infamous for its overpoweredness and ability to scythe through hordes of other vampires since it was, you know, intended to be for antagonists. A Justicar is a rank found exclusively in the Camarilla. They're the highest rank that exists in the organisation before you get to the secret command team that nobody knows anything about. Each clan gets one Justicar, and they're the judge, jury and executioner of the Camarilla who get to swag about the world doing whatever they want and being a law unto themselves. They're at least three steps above where player characters are ever supposed to advance in the Camarilla and you're never, ever supposed to play as one.

See the kind of game this was? I could keep going. Father Giacomo was a Fifth Generation (Generation being the most important stat in the game, representing your general power level and potency. Gen 5 is one above the playable hard cap and three above what normal characters are allowed to get) who was immune to blood bonds (this can't happen) was also a member of Clan Ventrue due to some shenanigans (this literally can't happen, it's totally impossible, that isn't even how vampire work. Notably, Lasombra and Ventrue loving hate each other), was also a member of his own custom clan (what the gently caress) who had his own custom variant of Assamite Sorcery (yet another antagonists only superpower from a completely different faction that, again, you can't get, it's too good), who had a Tal'Mahe'Ra blade (you can't get one of these they're the proprietary lightsabers of the secret illuminati who you don't know exist and are way more badass than you) and, this is so dumb it needs repeating, was not only a member of the Camarilla instead of the Sabbat but was actually one of the most powerful and influential members of the entire organisation.

oWoD is a game which rightly gets a lot of flak for all the player-facing books being low-to-mid powered, street level games about gritty bad things happening to your characters and the people they love, tough choices, an unfair universe that doesn't care for your snowflake bullshit etc... and then all of the metaplot and setting books being a hosed up crazy madhouse of wildly overpowered abilities and items that you can't get unless your ST gives them to you, hyper competent overpowered NPCs who were way cooler than you and had a load of special snowflake crap that you can never get who solve all the plots, a layer cake of hidden secret mysteries to the setting which each turn everything on its head that you will never, ever find anything about in game or have any hope of comprehending or stopping, a myriad of powerful, world-controlling organisations that you'll never find out exist and so on and so on and so on.

This was a campaign where not only did we call that out for the bullshit that it was and reject its premise entirely, we played by the game's own rules. We did not houserule oWoD in defiance of all sanity. We simply played a high-powered game where no artificial limitations were put on our characters and we got all the privileges that the game heaps onto its own characters. As it turns out, this makes the PCs hilarious.

The actual character death is something of an anticlimax after all this. Father Giacomo got into a sword fight with Yahweh and lost. Barely. The fight took less than one three second turn and took about 90 minutes, during which Father Giacomo took 11 actions and bounced I don't even know how much aggravated damage. At one point he was completely submerged in on-fire white phosphorous and not only took no damage, he also didn't even take a frenzy check. God killed him, but was drained and bloodied and wounded, and got promptly finished off by the surviving member of the party.

This final death also, like the others, felt good. Father Giacomo fought God and lost and because oWoD is a highly crunchy intricately mechanical game that only gets exponentially more complicated as your character grows more powerful, I have several pages of stats that back me up when I say that if Father Giacomo lost, there was nobody who could have won. A lesser munchkin would not have made it to subround 11.

tl;dr: Doodmons masturbates furiously about some of his characters. Ignore him at your leisure.

Yeah, but then you get the refs that decided that "drat it, Imma kill someone and that someone is... YOU!" We were playing a game of Dark Conspiracy, which is loosely based on the Twilight 2000 rules (Think that everything in the supermarket SERIOUSLY out there tabloids are true, kinda). Which, if you know them, have some serious issues. For example, a .50 cal bullet can not pierce cinderblock, and, in fact, leaves it undamaged (which led to endless jokes about strapping cinderblocks to EVERYTHING. I had a lot of experience in the system and some seriously hot dice during the career rolls, which led to Carmen Esposito, the GIANT Hispanic that was nigh-invulnerable to physical damage.

So, we end up running into something called Bhutta (spelling?), Devourer of Souls. Okay, so Carmen's psychic defenses were weak. I am okay with that. What I was NOT okay with was the creatures quasi-zombie minions not attacking any of the party, just basically holding them in place, while the thing psychically drags Carmen into it's maw. Yeah, so the character was twinked a bit, but the ref had approved then. The minions only start fighting once the Devourer of Souls completed and irrevocably consumed Carmen (and, referring to Twilight 2000 rules, chargen takes a LONG time). On the plus(ish) side, it only had 25% of it's hit points left, as it took several rounds consuming my character while he battled for his life the entire time.

I say, WTF. I will give him another shot. I roll up a psychic powerhouse. While roleplaying the urban, ZERO combat experience young woman, she fails to exit a car in time during a militia attack and the car gets a direct strike from a mortar.

My opinion is that character deaths DO happen sometimes. But, primarily, they should be used to advance the plot or punish players that are loving around. And, if possible, there should be SOME small chance for them to come back, especially as ALL of this is a BLOODY loving GAME. You know, for fun.

Edit: Yeah, that was my last game with that group, which sucked as that town SUCKED for RPG action. So, I did :sever:...

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 7, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
EDIT: You know, forums, showing me my post once I make it prevents double posting. Just sayin'...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

No Luck Needed posted:

side note -- the guy who ran Sahdowrun, Jordan, would make fun of you if you referred to him as the Dungeon Master. "I am not here to excite you sexual, I am not the dungeon master, I am the game master or narrator."

And this is why I call the person running the game the referee.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

the_steve posted:

+magic swords come and go, but a magic knick-knack with a niche use is forever.

Especially when your players give that cauldron that endlessly makes nutritious gruel to the local charitable cleric by slipping it unto the wagon he brought to collect some smoked giant elk the ranger trapped to feed the poor, then play completely dumb when he asks about it later (and the party cleric suggests it might be a divine gift for all his good works, so he needed to keep it up, but, you know, that's just between us holy types, so keep it quiet). Also, druids with plant growth make for good winery owners.

(A one-night adventure that spun wonderfully off the tracks into the opposite of murderhobodom.)

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Samizdata posted:

Especially when your players give that cauldron that endlessly makes nutritious gruel to the local charitable cleric by slipping it unto the wagon he brought to collect some smoked giant elk the ranger trapped to feed the poor, then play completely dumb when he asks about it later (and the party cleric suggests it might be a divine gift for all his good works, so he needed to keep it up, but, you know, that's just between us holy types, so keep it quiet). Also, druids with plant growth make for good winery owners.

(A one-night adventure that spun wonderfully off the tracks into the opposite of murderhobodom.)

I always liked the idea of magic adhering to the principles of the conservation of matter and energy. Like, if you conjure anything, it has to come from somewhere, and the DM can consider it for comedic purposes. One of my players years ago had a gag about a dog summoned via Summon Nature's Ally I would pull some poor pooch from a frizbee game in Central Park to whatever hellish combat the PC dropped it into. When the spell's duration ended, alive or dead, the dog was deposited right back where it started. The owner would see his dog disappear, and then reappear about a minute later, bloodied and snarling and insane. This also meant that the dog you summoned could be a Pomeranian or the like, which didn't affect the mechanics if the DM was nice but was a lot of fun to literally throw into a pitched battle.

This also led to the idea of the Elemental Plane of Horse, which was the source of the Mount Spell. The idea was that it was way easier to learn or buy a Mount spell than to actually own a horse, so economically there had to be more horses out there to summon than there were in existence. So there had to be some repository of horses from which the spell summoned horses.

We played from 8 PM to like 3 AM back in college. This kind of poo poo happens.

Railing Kill fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 7, 2016

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Bieeardo posted:

An old DM had a thing for containers of endless foo for a while. Water. Urine. Oranges. Decanters.

At one point, near the end of this huge dungeon we were crawling, he described us opening a door on a naked man who immediately shoved his junk in a canteen and died because of the hungry otyugh in an extradimensional space inside.

Dude had some issues.

Need more posts of terrible players/dms plz

Unfortunately my two games have been going pretty well. The previous DM that railroaded (he got better at the end) is now a player in our shadow run game. He is playing his typical violence loving brute. He also tends to think his characters are more clever than is true.

In this case his character kidnapped a belhop in order to scope out the surroundings. Our characters had not met yet and ran into each other when we were both copping the place. Perception let me know the clothes were ill-fitting and also that he had cybernetics, as a bellhop. So, I approached him about getting some towels and when I left I told him I wanted to tell management that he did a great job, whats his name.

"Joshua"

Whats his uniform tag say? "Jean Paul"

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I've just started DMing a campaign (my first time) and just to keep things interesting, I've included a magic vendor, Pitnick, who is either an extremely ugly gnome or a pretty standard goblin. He travels around with a large animated construct consisting of what looks like a pile of Detritus centered around a large chest, which acts as his extradimensional storage and muscle when necessary. Pitnick only trades in magical or unique items and trinkets, not money, and is part of a network of similar vendors who roam the world seeking to collect the unusual, but no-one knows at whose behest.

Of course, I don't want to give them anything that's just a straight up advantage in combat, but I want them to have extra tools in their arsenal to tackle unusual challenges in the game. They won't be able to trade for all of these items, of course, so they'll get to choose what to invest in after a bit of experimentation.

Codex of Akke - A small worn leather hardcover book, bound with iron around the edges. When opened to a blank page and held in front of the user's face, it captures an image of what the user would be looking at (that is otherwise obscured by the book) when they blink. The image appears as though it were etched in ink, including rough shading. The first third of the book is full of miscellaneous scenes, but the book itself has only 5 charges left. A user must attune the book and expend a 1st level spell slot in order to give a book a single additional charge. There are approximately 100 pages remaining.

Linkstones - A small pouch containing 5 smooth, semiprecious stones of various hues (Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Pink). While holding a stone in your hand, you can see the location of each of the other stones as a point of colored light. The point of light dims with distance, and will be invisible at 10km.

Stone - A small, unassuming pebble, with a crude carving of two birds. Will inerrantly hit whatever you want to throw it at, within the limits of an incredibly lucky throw, including ricochets but limited to what you can see and the laws of physics (ie, no wishing to hit something you cannot see). Does about as much damage as you would expect a pebble to.

Ink Quill - A magical quill that never runs out of ink, however, the color is tied to the current user's disposition, much like a mood ring.

Warpstone -A pair of softly glowing crystalline shards in a elongated hexagonal shape. Shattering a warpstone will create a dimensional door lasting 5 seconds to wherever it's pair is, but the cost of using one of Pitnick's (the vendor who sells them) is giving him first choice of one of your magical items. Their intended use is communication. When tapped, the stones glow and emit a brief tone. Tapping one thrice will inform Pitnick that you've got something for him, and a three tone reply informs the user the he is making his way towards you in the near future.

As for weapons, I tried to make something unique but not overpowered for my party, which they should manage to find by the end of next session. Here's a sketch I made of the characters. Malo the grognard monk, Kurgan the Cleric, Esmerelda the rock-obsessed barbarian, and Tanner the bard.

For the monk, The Staff of Khi'Laf - A 5 foot wooden staff about 2 inches in diameter. It's wood is stained a deep red, set with Bronze on either end. When attuned, the staff can extend itself up to 20” almost instantaneously, and remain that length for 3 minutes, after which it will revert to it's original size at a rate of 1ft/second. User can choose to revert it to it's original size at any time. It cannot extend again until the user has taken a short rest.

For the Bard, Tell-a-tale - An enchanted lute of rich brown wood with a gentle green inlaid design. Once a day, for 5 minutes, The user may choose to project the Lute's sound anywhere within 100ft, or make it much louder.

For the Barbarian - Snapback - Dual Axes - A pair of battleaxes (1d8) which may be interlocked with a minor action into a double-headed Greataxe (1d12)

For the Cleric, The Disciplinarian - A smooth, round mace that confers a +2 bonus to intimidation checks.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 7, 2016

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I like the items, but I'd suggest not requiring spell slots to recharge the picture book. That effectively cuts the number of people who can use it in your group in half, and spellcasters are the people in a group least likely to need extra utility stuff like that.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I like that codex. Actually I like it so much that I'm going to steal it and build an adventure around it. Party finds the book and figures out how it works. It's about half full of pictures. Some of which will provide clues to some bigger adventure. And it turns out that there's a Bad Man hunting for the book because someone used it to take a picture that will be useful in his Big Evil Plan. Thanks!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Dirk the Average posted:

I like the items, but I'd suggest not requiring spell slots to recharge the picture book. That effectively cuts the number of people who can use it in your group in half, and spellcasters are the people in a group least likely to need extra utility stuff like that.

Anyone can use the codex, but if you want to recharge it you've got to get a caster to spend time to do so.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

McKilligan posted:

Anyone can use the codex, but if you want to recharge it you've got to get a caster to spend time to do so.

That's kind of my point - you're asking them to make other characters recharge the item for them. Why not have the recharging ritual be something that's nonmagical and requires something like raw materials or some time focusing or preparing the book without the use of magic? Is there a specific reason that it must be recharged with spell slots instead of something more exotic or available to non spellcasters as well? What is the purpose of the recharging? If you want to limit the number of pictures that can be taken, why not just limit it to a number of pictures per day or something similar?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

What if the book didn't have charges like you described, and rather, the number of remaining uses is however many pages are left?

BUT, you can spend downtime doing magic item crafting of some sort to add more pages, which will in turn add more charges to it.
Or if you don't use downtime, find some NPC willing to give them a sidequest and they will add more pages to the book to prolong its functionality?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Have a little wheel embedded in the back that you need to turn for a while to get a new charge.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
If you hold the Codex by one corner and shake it, does it make the engraving form faster?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That or it blanks 1d6 etched pages.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Dirk the Average posted:

That's kind of my point - you're asking them to make other characters recharge the item for them. Why not have the recharging ritual be something that's nonmagical and requires something like raw materials or some time focusing or preparing the book without the use of magic? Is there a specific reason that it must be recharged with spell slots instead of something more exotic or available to non spellcasters as well? What is the purpose of the recharging? If you want to limit the number of pictures that can be taken, why not just limit it to a number of pictures per day or something similar?

You're right, I just want to limit the use of the camera so my players will use it sparingly, but a 1st level spell does seem like a steep cost. I think I'll limit it to once a day use rather than recharging.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

McKilligan posted:

You're right, I just want to limit the use of the camera so my players will use it sparingly, but a 1st level spell does seem like a steep cost. I think I'll limit it to once a day use rather than recharging.
Here's an interesting "cost": the book needs to recharge in direct moonlight. Meaning no recharges on cloudy nights, if it is left indoors, if it is raining, on new moons, etc.

Then, make something interesting related to it happen when an eclipse does.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

If you hold the Codex by one corner and shake it, does it make the engraving form faster?

I think you're confusing the Codex of Akke with the Pole of Royd, which isa different artifact entirely.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The infinitely reusable nature of Ecche's Ketch makes it the superior artifact, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Railing Kill posted:

This also led to the idea of the Elemental Plane of Horse, which was the source of the Mount Spell. The idea was that it was way easier to learn or buy a Mount spell than to actually own a horse, so economically there had to be more horses out there to summon than there were in existence. So there had to be some repository of horses from which the spell summoned horses.

We played from 8 PM to like 3 AM back in college. This kind of poo poo happens.

I had a sort of eldritch-horror sorcerer who could use Mount to summon a horse-shaped mount. It looked a lot like a horse but it was more like a giant amoeba I guess.