Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Has anyone gotten the BitBoxes from Stone Age Gamer? Curious if the case and printing are worth what they're asking. They're a little pricey but I only have a few dozen carts across NES/SNES/N64 to do. And the SNES games I may just keep in my one of these (and if there are people actually paying $140 for this loving box I'll gladly sell it to bankroll the cases). I've been ripping and packing away my now seldom used DVD collection which has freed up a ton of shelf space. I've been able to consolidate my disc and 3/DS games in that vacant space with more room to spare. It'd tickle my lizard brain to also have my carts there boxed up similarly, everything in its right place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Random Stranger posted:

I've been playing some X-Men 2 now that I've finished up my work for the day. I played it a few times before, but I don't remember it being this awkward.
It's a fun sidescroller, but it suffers from bad design of the era (like "find the exit amidst these identical and confusing corridors!").

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

The Milkman posted:

Has anyone gotten the BitBoxes from Stone Age Gamer? Curious if the case and printing are worth what they're asking. They're a little pricey but I only have a few dozen carts across NES/SNES/N64 to do. And the SNES games I may just keep in my one of these (and if there are people actually paying $140 for this loving box I'll gladly sell it to bankroll the cases). I've been ripping and packing away my now seldom used DVD collection which has freed up a ton of shelf space. I've been able to consolidate my disc and 3/DS games in that vacant space with more room to spare. It'd tickle my lizard brain to also have my carts there boxed up similarly, everything in its right place.

I'd recommend Custom Game Cases over Bit Boxes, as they seem to be more durable, cheaper, and the NES ones fit the larger manuals for games like Final Fantasy:

http://www.customgamecases.com/#!nes-details/cs3c
http://www.customgamecases.com/#!online-store/c1m9j

They also sell them with cover art if you don't want to print out your own, and is run by one of the TheCoverProject.net contributors:
Apparently they just released their SNES case but its pre-order only.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Monitor Burn posted:

I'd recommend Custom Game Cases over Bit Boxes, as they seem to be more durable, cheaper, and the NES ones fit the larger manuals for games like Final Fantasy:

They also sell them with cover art if you don't want to print out your own, and is run by one of the TheCoverProject.net contributors:

I was going to say I have a Bit Box for my TMNT 1 on the NES and I love it (it gives me that Disney VHS vibe which I love) but I have to admit, those look incredible. They even fit Tengen games! That's amazing!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I would like to play Donkey Kong '94 on my new3DS which has been modded to play emulators. However, I would like to play the "SNES" version, meaning the sound effects that the SNES got like Pauline's scream, and of course with the color enhancements and the boarder. Is this possible?

I know someone mentioned Goomba for the GBA does this but I would rather run it on an "SNES" due to the better resolution and better sound effects. Is there a way to patch the game so this works?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If the homebrew emulator doesn't automatically do it then no, you have to play it vanilla.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The box art for the Super Famicom version of Super Strike Eagle is extremely :wtc:

I feel that's almost US Phalanx levels of "Why would you put that on the game box?" except in this case we know why they chose that image even if it doesn't make any sense.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'm not sure I've ever seen a neo Geo console in person.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

Just so you know, the goomba to create GB games into GBA roms (and also the NES version) work just fine with the GBA Everdrive.

It's so weird playing Link's Awakening with the Super Gameboy border on a Micro. Looks super nice though.

OK would you be able to give me a little help with this? I made a GBA ROM out of Donkey Kong 94. I get no options to change the colors to the DK 94 one, and my only border options are standard ones. I don't see anywhere to tell it to "be" a Super Gameboy in the options menu. Thank you!

I am trying to play it in Retroarch if that matters.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 5, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Random Stranger posted:

The box art for the Super Famicom version of Super Strike Eagle is extremely :wtc:

I feel that's almost US Phalanx levels of "Why would you put that on the game box?" except in this case we know why they chose that image even if it doesn't make any sense.

Looks like a nose art pin-up girl. It could have been a little more "subtle" by showing a close up of the nose of the plane with her on it. If they were to do that, it would have been so close you wouldn't even realize it was the nose of a plane so, screw it, go all out and put her front and center with some planes in the background.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

The Neo Geo didn't have many fighters when it was most visible in the mainstream; this would be from 1991 to 1993, the time of big magazine spreads about the Neo Geo's first few waves and the ad campaigns about puppy pee and hot dogs and neglected girlfriends.

By the time the fighting game craze began, the Neo Geo had moved into niche status and most kids had made up their minds about it. We'd sure have loved a Neo if we won that magazine contest for EVERY GAME SYSTEM, but we'd given up on owning one through conventional means.

Put Last Resort next to Thunder Force III or Cyber-Lip (or Metal Slug) next to Contra III, and you'll see why I thought that Neo Geo games were just "better looking versions."

Were we really that picky about arcade ports as kids? I remember thinking it was lame that the character close-ups didn't animate in 2020 Super Baseball for the Super NES, but that didn't make me put my game-buying budget for the next three years into a Neo Geo.

For the most part the people buying the Neo-Geo weren't kids, or parents of kids, it was targeted at a specific kind of adult. As a kid I cared a lot about arcade games and the quality of the home versions and so did my more equally dorkish friends, but maybe this is because I spent my childhood in cities like NYC and Miami that had lots of arcades and arcade machines around in general. They were a pretty big deal.

I still can't see a Neo-Geo game as just being "better looking" comparing the same genre. Particularly in the case of the SNES (which is what I had) the Neo-Geo is just so much faster and smoother.

e: also fatal fury (probably the first really popular N-G game in arcades) came out in 1991, same year as SFII. people weren't buying neo-geos to play all the neo-geo games people bought em to play at most two or 3 arcade games they really liked.

d0s fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 5, 2016

_____!
May 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Well CLEARLY there must be a boss in that game who is a giant semi-nude floating lady. I just realized that sounds like I'm talking about Parodious.

Or its just Boomer in a costume.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Monitor Burn posted:

Thanks, those do look like a step up. And they have Gameboy cases(!) I'll order a few and see how I like em.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I'm trying to beat Mega Man 2 for the first time since I was... 6?

I want to go back in time to when Quick Man's stage was being designed and kick everybody involved in it square in the loving balls.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Is European Kizuna Encounter still worth $30,000

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So I'm trying to beat Mega Man 2 for the first time since I was... 6?

I want to go back in time to when Quick Man's stage was being designed and kick everybody involved in it square in the loving balls.

The wimp out way to do it is to beat Flash Man first.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Man I just saw the most 80s entertainment cabinet at a thrift store. It had that black tinted glass with the magnetic doors because 80s but the coolest thing was a pull out vertical drawer with cassette slots that would perfectly fit cartridge games.

But all my friends with pickup trucks were on vacation for the weekend...

Smoking Crow posted:

Is European Kizuna Encounter still worth $30,000

Is it "worth it" no but if one of the five or so copies go up for sale I'm sure you'll know your answer.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Man I just saw the most 80s entertainment cabinet at a thrift store. It had that black tinted glass with the magnetic doors because 80s but the coolest thing was a pull out vertical drawer with cassette slots that would perfectly fit cartridge games.

But all my friends with pickup trucks were on vacation for the weekend...

Well you know a classy piece of merchandise like that won't stick around until they're back in town.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Random Stranger posted:

The wimp out way to do it is to beat Flash Man first.

The thing is, Flash Man's weapon doesn't last long enough to get you through the whole second beam section on Difficult (I'm unsure about Normal), and if you die after it runs out, there's basically no way to refill it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Do the lasers move faster on Difficult?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The only difference betwee normal and difficult is that enemies take double damage in normal.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That's what I thought. Doing it without Flash Stopper is eminently doable - hell, I can do it a good 40-50% of the time, and I suck at games. It's just a matter of getting the path and the rhythm down right.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

That's what I thought. Doing it without Flash Stopper is eminently doable - hell, I can do it a good 40-50% of the time, and I suck at games. It's just a matter of getting the path and the rhythm down right.

I just did it in the Wiley Wars version where the controls are more sticky. It's not easy, but it's not something that's super crazy either.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

Is it "worth it" no but if one of the five or so copies go up for sale I'm sure you'll know your answer.

Hardcoregaming101 says ten copies exist :colbert: .

But five or ten, it's like, why would SNK even bother making a European AES version at that rate?

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Got to play with one of these at the weekend at an event, now i'm just sort of obsessed with the idea of owning one even if it's completely unfeasable.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
What is it, a CPS changer or a weird cased supergun?

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
It's a "consolised" CPS-2 with USB ports and a PSX AV connection
http://www.grandmasterchallenge.com/?p=1608

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What's the best suggestion for getting a new battery into GB/GBA games? It looks like finding CR2025's with the holder/tabs is a lot harder than it is for the 2032.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Nate RFB posted:

What's the best suggestion for getting a new battery into GB/GBA games? It looks like finding CR2025's with the holder/tabs is a lot harder than it is for the 2032.
Tons of them on eBay, with tabs, in both those sizes.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Anybody have any time to play a good game over the holiday weekend? I decided to finally start Legendary Starfy on DS as something short, quick and simple after finishing a disappointing RPG. And well, Starfy is also kinda disappointing. I'm two worlds in and Starfy doesn't seem to have a whole hell of a lot to offer game play wise. Maybe it's because you can swim just about anywhere on the screen rather than having to do traditional platforming and risk missing a jump. It'll be interesting to see if the difficulty ramps up at all by the end of the game. Guess I should have started with one of the GBA Starfy games, I've heard those are better. But on the other hand I don't find Starfy and his antics to be as cute or as full of personality as Kirby. It's really hard to not make that comparison though, perhaps I'm expecting too much of Starfy because Kirby is so good?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Starfy's just Kirby with all the passion sucked out, basically.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Starfy's just Kirby with all the passion sucked out, basically.

Somehow I couldn't put it as succinctly as this. And I was wondering where something was wrong with me in thinking Starfy was kinda soulless. Welp I'll see if I can beat it in a couple of hours or if boredom settles in first. Then go mine the backlog for something better to play. Gunpey DS probably.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Life is too short to play starfy games. Just replay a Kirby game instead.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Milkman posted:

This reminds me - about 10 years ago when I was in California, some antique store had 4 or 5 of the original glass NES display cases from Toys R' Us that they were using to display antiques

How rare are those?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Turbinosamente posted:

Somehow I couldn't put it as succinctly as this. And I was wondering where something was wrong with me in thinking Starfy was kinda soulless. Welp I'll see if I can beat it in a couple of hours or if boredom settles in first. Then go mine the backlog for something better to play. Gunpey DS probably.

To put it another way: have you heard of TOSE, the big contract studio that has been anonymously developing games for other developers/publishers for over 30 years? Starfy is TOSE's sole original franchise.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Why doesn't Ax=Battler wield an axe what kind of backwards universe do you want me to immerse myself into Sega?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

al-azad posted:

Why doesn't Ax=Battler wield an axe what kind of backwards universe do you want me to immerse myself into Sega?

here's here to battle guys with axes duh

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well I guess Death=Adder is the ultimate ax villain, sure.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Well, gently caress. I do have a lot of Kirby games I've yet to finish instead. So much for my ability to pick a decent game to play, it's rapidly looking like this one is going to be tossed onto the trade stack anyways.

The original question still stands though, anybody else find or start any cool games over the weekend? Can't do worse than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Weird. This weekend I got a mystery package from the Netherlands (some Postbus 7040 return address, which is apparently a PO Box), no company name and only "Candy" as a signature on the customs form. In it contained 3 batteries that are 3.7v 720mAh spec and with some tinkering could be replacement batteries for Gameboy Micros size-wise. I have no memory of ordering them, no charges that I would associate with them on my credit cards, paypal, eBay, Amazon, etc. Nothing in any of my email inboxes. The ship date was apparently August 3 and I posted in this thread on August 4 the "Making Electronics" Gameboy Micro battery upgrade link.

This is weird as gently caress. I have no memory of ordering them. Well, I will keep them aside for a few weeks to see if I am contacted. I guess I could have ordered them at some point though I can't find any evidence of it, but it is possible they were sent to me by mistake. The only clues I could find about this Postbus 7040 address were some scam complaints about people ordering shoes/glasses/etc. and getting cheap chinese knock-offs mailed from that Postbus address. So my assumption is they are some middleman for items being shipped from China or something.

Well, if I hear or find nothing, I guess they are mine to keep and I may try doing the GB Micro battery swap to see if they are any better and have longer battery life. Though my current battery is just fine.

• Locked thread