Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

Looks like Suicide Squad have surpassed the worldwide box office for Man of Steel while also costing less to make.
Yeah that was always going to happen, it's been doing better business than MoS since day one.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons-extended/Suicide-Squad/Batman-v-Superman-Dawn-of-Justice/Man-of-Steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As an experiment, I tried 'Whedonizing' shots from BVS - but I had to give up. You can't quite make something shot on film look like raw HD digital footage.

You're right, this is harder. :(

But what if Man of Steel was in color?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That shot of Superman going to court is one of my favorites in any superhero flick.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Goddamn man, SM3 has its problems but that seems like a bit much. Out of curiosity, which moment did you finally decide you were done?

Near the end. I think it was after the fight with the newscast play by play and the growling Sandman.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That shot of Superman going to court is one of my favorites in any superhero flick.

The shot where he walks past the swinging the door and it holds the shot on there for a second is really great.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Speaking of good shots, I went back to Civil War looking for some and...

The fate of the Avengers is decided

Stark uses dead kid to make his case

Bucky strangles his best friend

The villain's end

Stark is betrayed

...I'll keep looking.

Well, there is this one:

Having "good guy" Martin Freeman being bathed in light (absent any shadows) while threatening to torture an imprisoned man makes it a refreshingly honest shot.

edit: Wiki tells me his character's personality is based on Chandler Bing? That's amazing.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

seravid posted:

The villain's end

Man Chadwick Boseman was so good in that movie and I am def eager to see what's up with the Black Panther movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TetsuoTW posted:

Man Chadwick Boseman was so good in that movie and I am def eager to see what's up with the Black Panther movie.

I think it's a good sign that, IIRC, Marvel specifically got a black director for the movie like what they're doing with Luke Cage on Netflix. DC may have beaten Marvel to the punch for the woman superhero movie, but they still seem to be stuck with Cyborg as the token black guy in their roster.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Except Rick Famuyiwa is also directing The Flash, and James Wan is directing the indigenous Hawaiian hunk Jason Momoa in Aquaman?

Like, if we're gonna talk diversity game, DC has it easily, and Marvel is way more tokenistic because their only non-white helmed films are about Black characters.

edit: Like, we do understand what "tokenism" means, right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My favorite shot in Civil War was when the place was on lock down and the alarm lights keep changing from blue to red, over Bucky. Showing his struggle with his own brain.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Batman V Superman: Now On VHS!

quote:

My favorite shot in Civil War was when the place was on lock down and the alarm lights keep changing from blue to red, over Bucky. Showing his struggle with his own brain.

Captain America holding down the helicopter.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

K. Waste posted:

Except Rick Famuyiwa is also directing The Flash, and James Wan is directing the indigenous Hawaiian hunk Jason Momoa in Aquaman?

Like, if we're gonna talk diversity game, DC has it easily, and Marvel is way more tokenistic because their only non-white helmed films are about Black characters.

I'm always torn when a studio insists on a black director or female director for corresponding projects. On one hand, it feels like of course a black director should do Black Panther, but on the other it feels.. pandering? I dunno. Probably more good than harm though I suppose.

RBA Starblade posted:

Captain America holding down the helicopter.
The last part, where he's holding on to the railing, sure. But the first part, where he's somehow keeping it down just by hanging off of it? That's not how super strength works!

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 5, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Slugworth posted:

The last part, where he's holding on to the railing, sure. But the first part, where he's somehow keeping it down just by hanging off of it? That's not how super strength works!

Lol yeah I forgot about the first part. He just cultivated a lot of mass. :downs:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Slugworth posted:

I'm always torn when a studio insists on a black director or female director for corresponding projects. On one hand, it feels like of course a black director should do Black Panther, but on the other it feels.. pandering? I dunno. Probably more good than harm though I suppose.

Ghettoization might be the right term.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm reading Grant Morrison's Supergods and there's a ton of stuff in there about the development history of DC and Marvel's greatest heroes, it's gonna be interesting to contrast that with how the movies handle it.

I'm also rewatching the Nolan Batman trilogy. Thoughts on Batman Begins:
- it held up extremely well, the story's consistent, and the villains are well integrated with the kind of grounded story they came up with for the film
- Michael Caine knocks it out of the park effortlessly and the scene where he talks to Bruce after the funeral always makes the room go all dusty
- seriously how good a cast did they get together for this, it's unbelievable how many big names this movie throws at you left and right, even the smallest part I'm still willing to call important gets Rutger Hauer who personally I'd have put down for Falcone
- that poor lady who introduces Bruce to Ra's Al Ghul at the party has to be so confused that Bruce calls him out as dead, and also that he stands with his back turned to them during the whole introduction
- for a guy who's spent years learning the power of secrecy Bruce sure is ready to spill the beans to Rachel quickly

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've seen Batman Begins at least fifty times. How did I never realize that was Rutger Hauer?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've seen Batman Begins at least fifty times. How did I never realize that was Rutger Hauer?

:eyepop:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

He also played a minor villain role in Sin City, that came out a few months before Batman Begins. Good year for movie adaptations of Frank Miller comics.

Although I guess Elektra also came out in early 2005.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

My Lovely Horse posted:

- that poor lady who introduces Bruce to Ra's Al Ghul at the party has to be so confused that Bruce calls him out as dead, and also that he stands with his back turned to them during the whole introduction

The doppelganger she introduces to Bruce is a ninja-trained master conversationalist, he immediately distracted her with a witty comment about the 18th century tapestry.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
The conversation moved on but, just to be clear, I posted those CW shots because I think they're bad, though I'd welcome opposite views as I am the furthest thing from an expert in reading movies. They represent serious and important events yet are lit like a phone commercial; the insistence on soft light and low contrast for every drat scene, regardless of their significance, is baffling.

The helicopter scene is also bad because the camera refuses to get close and is kept perpendicular to Cap; we're so far away, most of the frame is blank sky.

Could this look any more boring?

And that's it, I won't post more CW screenshots. Promise.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

At some point, I rewetted that movie enough that I actually decided she was a League of Shadows agent. Which isn't really out of the realm of possibility if Ra's was originally using economics to destroy Gotham. There's a good argument to be made for Alan Greenspan being a League of Shadows agent in Nolan's universe.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Slugworth posted:

I'm always torn when a studio insists on a black director or female director for corresponding projects. On one hand, it feels like of course a black director should do Black Panther, but on the other it feels.. pandering? I dunno. Probably more good than harm though I suppose

The idea that it has the ability to do harm is bizarre. It's only the executive part of the brain making a heuristic rule to compensate for the baser parts of the brain. To oppose that view is to agree that white male directors are inherently superior.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 5, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Dark Knight:

- This movie is so goddamn long. It's ridiculously long. I don't even know what I'd theoretically cut, whether I'd remove a subplot or two or just do little cuts here and there that add up, but it's too long.
- Watching them more or less back to back like this, I have to say: Batman Begins is a lot better. Not just for length, I feel like it's plotted better, makes Bruce Wayne a more interesting character, and Gotham City feels more like the kind of city it is. In Dark Knight it's just kind of a generic metropolis.
- Then again, Joker and Two-Face are the more prominent villains, and Ledger and Eckhardt are of course fantastic in their respective roles. But if I'm completely honest I'd say Ledger's death may have elevated the film's perception just a little too much.
- A while ago I said the next time I rewatched this I'd try to plot out everyone's plans as they must have looked at the planning stage. Here goes.

1. Joker's initial plan is to start killing people to draw out Batman, and hurt Dent's prosecution at the same time. So the judge and Loeb are first to go. Fair enough. Batman gets in the way of him killing Dent, so he moves on.
2. Joker's plan to kill the mayor: kidnap the honor guard and stash them in an apartment rented under a false name (?). Pose as the honor guard. Create a distraction by rigging the blinds to a timer, shoot the mayor while snipers are on the window. Okay, sure. I'm taking Bruce's presence at the scene as unintended.
3a. Things get a bit fuzzy now. Gordon puts a plan into place where he apparently takes a bullet for the mayor. Presumably he was just gonna use the earliest opportunity for that.
4. New Joker plan after Dent claims to be Batman: make an attempt on his life, but actually get captured along with bomb guy, and have Dent and Rachel abducted by crooked cops, and at the same time use the opportunity to get to the mob accountant. This hinges heavily on:
3b. Gordon uses Dent's transfer as a ruse to draw out and capture Joker. And this in turn hinges on Dent's revelation, which presumably he didn't tell anyone he was going to do, and certainly not Gordon, who he thought was dead.
The rest are fairly straightforward again but I've got to tell you, I'm not buying this on any level from either side.
e: and also, I watched it four or five times now, and I just finished the last viewing, and all those plans are still already getting muddled in my head.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ooh now do Dark Knight Rises! I never noticed those things in Dark Knight, that's pretty awesome. But with DKR I finally had to step back and ask what the heck I was watching.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Ra's al Ghul is a boring as gently caress character in Begins and the fight sequences (never Nolans strong suit anyway) are pretty lame as well.

The worst of the trilogy IMO

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Clarification: Gordon only gets himself "killed" in order to protect his family. He must have figured he was gonna be on the list sooner or later, so good forward thinking. But also: Jim buddy you couldn't tell your wife you had to go dark for a while? Cold, man. Not like she was gonna go on the news and tell everyone.

I'll probably give DKR another go soon. In the meantime, I just realized something for Batman Begins that's never spelled out: if Bruce Wayne had become a League of Shadows member, they probably would have just gotten him to give them the microwave emitter. Presumably, they still pull off the same plan they always had for Gotham, except with the additional steps of having to steal the thing and getting rid of their rogue member.

e: yeah the hand-to-hand combat just isn't very good in any of them.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 5, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

It is interesting that SS captured a diverse audience by simply depicting a diverse cast.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

seravid posted:

The conversation moved on but, just to be clear, I posted those CW shots because I think they're bad, though I'd welcome opposite views as I am the furthest thing from an expert in reading movies. They represent serious and important events yet are lit like a phone commercial; the insistence on soft light and low contrast for every drat scene, regardless of their significance, is baffling.

The helicopter scene is also bad because the camera refuses to get close and is kept perpendicular to Cap; we're so far away, most of the frame is blank sky.

Whedon could have shot it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

seravid posted:

I think the ones you posted were kinda good, if perfunctory. Workmanlike is not something I usually have a big issue with.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

I think the ones you posted were kinda good, if perfunctory. Workmanlike is not something I usually have a big issue with.

Like, basically what we're coming to is that CW is understood best as, like, the blockbuster companion to Spotlight.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'll probably give DKR another go soon. In the meantime, I just realized something for Batman Begins that's never spelled out: if Bruce Wayne had become a League of Shadows member, they probably would have just gotten him to give them the microwave emitter. Presumably, they still pull off the same plan they always had for Gotham, except with the additional steps of having to steal the thing and getting rid of their rogue member.

On the subject of Bruce becoming a League of Shadows member, I'm embarrassed to say it took me a while to realize that Bane in TDKR is what Bruce would have become had he killed the peasant in Batman Begins and embraced the League. I'm half convinced that the reason Nolan chose Bane in TDKR was entirely because he's masked just like Batman (only his mask is permanent, just as he is more extreme) and also "Bane" is essentially a phonetic contraction of "Bruce Wayne". I have to assume that Nolan saw that and figured that it was too good to pass up and that he'd just write something around that.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

KVeezy3 posted:

The idea that it has the ability to do harm is bizarre. It's only the executive part of the brain making a heuristic rule to compensate for the baser parts of the brain. To oppose that view is to agree that white male directors are inherently superior.

I've reread this like 7 times and I'm completely unclear on the point you're making. Putting aside the redundancy of the bit about heuristic technique, I'm not sure what view I'm in opposition of, and at what point I became a white director supremacist?

If it helps for me to clarify my thoughts on the matter, I'm not sure I have a real concise explanation, but the gist would be - It feels slightly strange to say 'a movie about a woman? Surely such an unusual and alien protagonist could only be properly handled by a woman'. But by the same token, surely a woman *does* bring valuable insight to the role. And does it in any way breed an environment within the studio where a woman has less of a chance at a different project because they've got that Squirrel Girl movie coming up, and wouldn't [female director] be a better fit for that than Iron Man 4?

I mean, I don't know how to better promise that this isn't me being salty about directing gigs being taken from straight white men.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The best Batman fight scene is easily the BvS warehouse scene, second best of Bane beating Batman up. It's fantastically scored, brutal in execution, and thematically fantastic. Batman is invincible and everything about this fight is 100% not my batman but you have to deal with it in almost total silence.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The best fight scenes in the Nolan films are the early ones in Batman Begins before Batman has gone from mastering kung fu to mastering weird League of Shadows martial arts.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The best Batman fight scene is easily the BvS warehouse scene, second best of Bane beating Batman up. It's fantastically scored, brutal in execution, and thematically fantastic. Batman is invincible and everything about this fight is 100% not my batman but you have to deal with it in almost total silence.

Yeah, the Nolan Batman movies are full of questionable action but the Bane fight is awesome.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
For Dark Knight you could cut the China plot and you could probably cut a lot of joker stuff, honestly, like a third of his stuff.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Yeah, the Nolan Batman movies are full of questionable action but the Bane fight is awesome.

The bit where Batman throws his smoke bomb/flashbang things and Bane is just standing there like "The gently caress?" is amazing.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Slugworth posted:

I've reread this like 7 times and I'm completely unclear on the point you're making. Putting aside the redundancy of the bit about heuristic technique, I'm not sure what view I'm in opposition of, and at what point I became a white director supremacist?

If it helps for me to clarify my thoughts on the matter, I'm not sure I have a real concise explanation, but the gist would be - It feels slightly strange to say 'a movie about a woman? Surely such an unusual and alien protagonist could only be properly handled by a woman'. But by the same token, surely a woman *does* bring valuable insight to the role. And does it in any way breed an environment within the studio where a woman has less of a chance at a different project because they've got that Squirrel Girl movie coming up, and wouldn't [female director] be a better fit for that than Iron Man 4?

I mean, I don't know how to better promise that this isn't me being salty about directing gigs being taken from straight white men.

You stated that explicitly seeking a minority or female director is "harmful" because it's "pandering". This relies on the belief that the system is a meritocracy. Considering the status quo is white men, it must be because they are simply better, and minorities and females simply need to wait until they're good enough so they can get Iron Man 4 on their own merits.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 6, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

For Dark Knight you could cut the China plot and you could probably cut a lot of joker stuff, honestly, like a third of his stuff.

Joker is the only reason TDK is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

KVeezy3 posted:

You stated that explicitly seeking a minority or female director is "bad" because it's "pandering". This relies on the belief that the system is a meritocracy. Considering the status quo is white men, it must be because they are simply better. It's the same arguments used against affirmative action.

I think the reasonable argument that it's in part "bad" has more to do with the idea that it carries the potential to codify a new status quo that is also "bad", i.e. that women/PoC are given directing projects with female/PoC main characters and intended primary audiences and nothing else. If the potential best-case alternative is Famuyiwa directing Flash and Wan directing Aquaman and so on, then limiting involvement of non-white-male directors until we need someone for Black Panther or Captain Marvel or whatnot is, by comparison, "bad"

But like kudos to Marvel for not actually doing that, given that Taika Waititi is directing Thor 3

• Locked thread