Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Triarii posted:

It's a very hot flag. Because it represents your burning spirit.

Heh, fantastically appropriate av for your post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
Also, despite the flag effectively catching you on fire, you will still need to use hot drinks else you will freeze while you burn to death.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

The blazing patriotism of Pokke is what keeps them warm in the mountains. You can't handle it because you're a foreigner, so you need more traditional ways of keeping warm.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well I met Tigrex for the first time today. I can knock down Gore Dracula no problem but this twitchy bastard and his whole-body hit boxes can die forever.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Finally broke my HR cap and jumped to HR61 :v: Good seeing savage jho again, and I'd forgotten how much damage aka can pump out even without def down...

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

This plesioth urgent is single handedly killing my motivation to play this game. I don't think I've ever been more frustrated at a single monster between this and 4U, and I've been soloing a fairly large amount of online stuff. He hits like a loving freight train and he's so gigantic his hitbox is fifteen feet wide on half his moves.

What weapon trivializes this dude? I've got a hunch it's any form of gunning since he doesn't seem to be able to do much if you're more than ten feet away from him, but I can't do the charm/money quest trick yet so I'm being a bit stingy atm since prices are ramping the hell up in high rank.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yes, even Pierce 1 completely destroys Plesioth. See what the cheapest LBG you can make with rapid fire Pierce 1 is. Dodge left of his water beam and blast him.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thanks. Gonna hunt me a fish...lizard...thing. :black101:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
H E L L F I S H

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm glad I was lucky and all my runs with pubs hunting Plesioth went smoothly

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah just go online if you are having trouble.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I always Adept on Plesioth. The huge hitboxes serve really well for that, and I have the time (and his weakspots are massive enough) to use the Kirin Thundersword. He gets absolutely destroyed by Adept triple charges with that, but I imagine the Astalos sword would be equally effective. The only thing that really throws me off still is the delayed hipcheck.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Bummey posted:

God Eater looks way more shallow and button masher actiony. And anime as gently caress.

Zero appeal for me.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-god-eater-2-rage-burst/2300-11529/

I thought the same after watching some videos, but after actually playing it I'm having a blast.

This is after playing MH since 2008.

If you do try it, try the buster blade. It's the most mh feeling weapon.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is mounting based on # of hits or is it damage threshold now? I swore it was # of hits in mh4u but I can't tell in MHG since they nerfed mounting a bit. I am mostly asking cause in a deviant room last night, an aerial SA user with a Hellblade weapon and no mounting skills was practically chain mounting the monster for the first two minutes. I couldn't do this with my Steve SA personally so I'm wondering what gives.

Incidentally this guy played SA like I want to play it. Aerial support but his HA was trance slash so his axe usage was basically the infinite swing for what I assumed was building up blasts as fast as possible.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 4, 2016

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Is mounting based on # of hits or is it damage threshold now? I swore it was # of hits in mh4u but I can't tell in MHG since they nerfed mounting a bit. I am mostly asking cause in a deviant room last night, an aerial SA user with a Hellblade weapon and no mounting skills was practically chain mounting the monster for the first two minutes. I couldn't do this with my Steve SA personally so I'm wondering what gives.

Incidentally this guy played SA like I want to play it. Aerial support but his HA was trance slash so his axe usage was basically the infinite swing for what I assumed was building up blasts as fast as possible.

I always thought it was like a status effect.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

cancerianmoth posted:

I always thought it was like a status effect.

Yeah. If a monster has a poison threshold of 40 and your weapon has a posion status power of 5, it'll take 8 hits to poison the monster, at which point its threshold increases and will require more hits to poison a second time.

I think the question was, if mounting follows the same rules as status effects, does your weapon's damage correspond to status power in regards to hits required to reach a threshold? Will a 200 damage switch axe mount twice as quickly as a 100 damage switch axe? Or is it simply: hit 5 times, mount, threshold rises, hit 10 times, mount, threshold rises, hit 20 times, mount, etc. ?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I'm an idiot. I cleared village 6* and want to go online, but can't figure out how to properly join a hunt. I go into a hub..... and then the host picks a mission but I can't see what it is, and I'm able to pick a quest that ISN'T what the host wants to do? I got myself kicked trying to figure it all out.

I just want to hunt monsters with bros now. :negative:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I guess in MH4U I could always predict a mount. It was very regimented.

Maybe an alternative question is do blasts done while airborne count as a hit towards mounting? Man it was just nuts how fast that Hellblade SA would mount. I might make one myself to see.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So I'm an idiot. I cleared village 6* and want to go online, but can't figure out how to properly join a hunt. I go into a hub..... and then the host picks a mission but I can't see what it is, and I'm able to pick a quest that ISN'T what the host wants to do? I got myself kicked trying to figure it all out.

After someone posts a quest you need to go to the board to left of the quest girl to join it. Then when you're ready you need to hit the gate to the left of the board to officially Ready Up so when the host goes you go with him.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

When they pick a quest, look at the notice board looking thing to the left of the quest counter. After you grab their quest, go to the exit even further to your left and press A to ready yourself.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Oh my gawd. Of course. I should have expected something like that.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Bummey posted:

Yeah. If a monster has a poison threshold of 40 and your weapon has a posion status power of 5, it'll take 8 hits to poison the monster, at which point its threshold increases and will require more hits to poison a second time.

I think the question was, if mounting follows the same rules as status effects, does your weapon's damage correspond to status power in regards to hits required to reach a threshold? Will a 200 damage switch axe mount twice as quickly as a 100 damage switch axe? Or is it simply: hit 5 times, mount, threshold rises, hit 10 times, mount, threshold rises, hit 20 times, mount, etc. ?

It is based on the relative power of the mounting attack. Not the DAMAGE, but the relative power - the motion value. Better/worse weapons within the categories do not deal more/less mounting status.It will take the same number of hits to mount whether you are using the starter Petrified GS, or Grimclaw Tigrex GS - but, a GS will take fewer hits to mount than a SnS.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Kiggles posted:

It is based on the relative power of the mounting attack. Not the DAMAGE, but the relative power - the motion value. Better/worse weapons within the categories do not deal more/less mounting status.It will take the same number of hits to mount whether you are using the starter Petrified GS, or Grimclaw Tigrex GS - but, a GS will take fewer hits to mount than a SnS.

Rascyc posted:

So that person using Hellblade switch axe should not have been mounting any more quickly than Rascyc using Seregios' switch axe, assuming they were both using the same weapon form, since axe and sword have different motion values and number of attacks per aerial jump.

Okay!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Correct. The only difference should be what attack is being used (some weapons have a few odd aerial/jumping attacks) and whether or not you have Mounting Master, or Felyne Rider active.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Bummey posted:

So that person using Hellblade switch axe should not have been mounting any more quickly than Rascyc using Seregios' switch axe, assuming they were both using the same weapon form, since axe and sword have different motion values and number of attacks per aerial jump.

Okay!

the could've eaten a meal for it. Not sure if you mentioned this or not.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The reality is probably I really suck at aerial when it comes to Dreadking, but I'm really not sure. I wonder if maybe someone else was using aerial the whole time and I never saw it.

Still it was cool.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I don't think anybody mentioned this yet, but only certain monster hitboxes can receive mounting damage. If you don't see the yellow flash, it means you hit the wrong hitbox and no mounting damage was applied.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

I really hope they let up on all the steep inclines in the next game. Using a bow is chore enough without having to deal with them.

Up to Dundorma in my MH4U replay and it's insane just how little generations has going on in comparison. I wonder if they'll actually include a story for GenU.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Flython posted:

I really hope they let up on all the steep inclines in the next game. Using a bow is chore enough without having to deal with them.

Up to Dundorma in my MH4U replay and it's insane just how little generations has going on in comparison. I wonder if they'll actually include a story for GenU.

Only real potential story lead-in is the source of hyper monsters, cause in-game they're just like :shrug: who knows where they came from :iiam:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I've been enjoying bow again, alongside chargeblade, but the coating tax feels particularly painful in MHGen.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

BMan posted:

I don't think anybody mentioned this yet, but only certain monster hitboxes can receive mounting damage. If you don't see the yellow flash, it means you hit the wrong hitbox and no mounting damage was applied.

This I did not know.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

Only real potential story lead-in is the source of hyper monsters, cause in-game they're just like :shrug: who knows where they came from :iiam:

Hyper Monsters feel like a big wasted potential, right now they feel like they wanted to include G-Rank in some way but didn't have the time to fully develop it, so here every monster has an Apex/Frenzy form, kinda.

I mean if they did MHGU they'd most likely flesh them out and pull a Gore "oh THIS monster is causing all the Hypers" but they're just jumping to MH5 next right?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hypers are basically just the unnerfed versions of those monsters. The deviant is basically like g-rank subspecies.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Do hypers ever get get hungry? Don't think I've ever seen it happen. Kinda a throwback to pre gen 3 if so

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Do hypers ever get get hungry? Don't think I've ever seen it happen. Kinda a throwback to pre gen 3 if so

I'm not sure if they're incapable of hunger or if the constant raging just keeps resetting the clock but I don't think hunger/exhaustion is a factor with hypers.

I love how much they hype Monoblos in MH4U and yet he's just so straightforward and easy now. I don't think his burrowing attacks even partially home in at HR level.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Nope, they're basically MHFU monsters where they're either fine or really pissed.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
...Well THAT was an ending? (I assume that's what happened after being Village 5*) or is there something even more... whatever that was after 6*?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
There's more to do but most of it you need to unlock in the online guild hall first :)

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
What are the generally good deviant armor sets?

I know Hellblade is pretty solid for blademaster and I'm looking at Dreadqueen for an awesome support SnS with Death Prize.

It seems like the rest are pretty lame. Crystalbeard gives loving charmer? I'll definitely grind to hell and back for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Dreadking armor my man. Attack up L, windproof hi, high grade earplugs and weakness exploit.

Stonefist is cool too. You get razor sharp or recoil down 2, along with bubbles, crisis and protection.

• Locked thread