Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:eyepop: Good lordy, I hope the heads fly. I wonder if our or Lithuanian Delfi has something like that too, though, admittedly, I dislike neither of the Latvian Internet news trio, so I just read LSM which sort of aggregates everything meaningful, and even translates key news to English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:eyepop: Good lordy, I hope the heads fly. I wonder if our or Lithuanian Delfi has something like that too, though, admittedly, I dislike neither of the Latvian Internet news trio, so I just read LSM which sort of aggregates everything meaningful, and even translates key news to English.

I doubt any heads will roll, but I guess somebody will get chewed out. The name of the author is hidden anyway, but that happens often there. I guess some young eager journalist thought that he came across something huge ;D

But Delfi and other publications of Ekspress Group are mostly neutral, with the exception of some journalists who.. well, they write the opposite of what I was talking about.

But those propaganda posters do annoy me. They are the lowliest of the low, the scum of the earth, equal to spam robot creators and the likes. I bet they think they are real clever. But I doubt they could be cleverer than.... a bullet.

edit: what's more, the title literally said: "Norwegian web portal reveals a wikileaks cable from 2006, when USA pressured Estonia to increase immigration and number of minorities". So I read that cable. Lo and behold, closest I came to that claim instead said: ...The Estonians agreed that with a declining birthrate and booming economy, Estonia is likely to face increasing immigration pressure and a more multicultural society....

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 6, 2016

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
The only thing I know Delfi from is that they were sentenced to pay a 320 euro fine by Estonia for not removing blatant hate speech and threats of violence from their comments section after it was requested by the party towards which comments were made.

Delfi took the ruling all the way to the European court of human rights citing that their freedom of speech had been violated. ECHR ruled "no it wasn't".

So I guess I'm not surprised.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

NLJP posted:

No central asian thread and it has been talked about here so asking itt: any good sources on what's been going on in uzbekistan? I know the basics, horrible dictator and some of the stuff with his daughters but I have no idea, like most I think, about who looks likely to be in charge in the future. Seems his eldest is out and it might be a big fight between the mayors of the big cities? I really have no clue but would love to know more.

@sarahkendzior seems to know quite a bit, seems like a successor has already been chosen (behind closed doors, of course). Also anyone who writes about "Trumpenbashi" deserves some attention...

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Trogdos! posted:

The only thing I know Delfi from is that they were sentenced to pay a 320 euro fine by Estonia for not removing blatant hate speech and threats of violence from their comments section after it was requested by the party towards which comments were made.

Delfi took the ruling all the way to the European court of human rights citing that their freedom of speech had been violated. ECHR ruled "no it wasn't".

So I guess I'm not surprised.
There was another case in 2003 when some guy wrote "jews into the oven" in Delfi comments section and somebody found it offensive, took it to court and the guy who wrote it was found guilty of inciting hate. The distinction here is that back then the one who wrote the comment was found guilty. But in the last case, ECHR ruled that the web portal is responsible for the content published there. Now, the typical comments section poo poo show on Delfi looks like this: "children died in paris attacks, therefore our prime minister desires death of little children by letting in immigrants", et cetera.

Of course that last case of hate speech and such... There's another story right there. The slander was directed towards that one fellow who operates the ferries between the mainland and our biggest island. He is being cut off from the tit of government subsidies as of this year, and the line would be taken over by a state run company. A former minister of economy (current CORRUPT AS poo poo mayor of Tallinn) signed a favorable contract for him back in 2006. When it was known that the contract would not be renewed this year, he took the new ferries to Germany to operate on some river line, leaving old smaller ships that break down constantly to service the lines. And the contract is such that he could do so with impunity.

The new ferries operated by the state run company due to get here by 1st of October will in fact not get here, because they are being built and they're delayed. WHAT A SURPRISE. So now said state run company rents those older ships from the subject of that slander to keep some sort of connection going.

Wish they would build the loving bridge already.

edit: luckily that line of his in Germany is having financial difficulties. HA HA.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 6, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'd heard news about a new ceasefire in Ukraine, is that actually holding?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

I'd heard news about a new ceasefire in Ukraine, is that actually holding?
Not really, I'm afraid. Constant small skirmishes, small enough for both sides to divert media focus elsewhere for their own benefits.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If this is true, then just :eyepop:.
https://twitter.com/gruppa_voina/status/773551333458796545

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

You probably need to translate that, since the Bing translation option isn't available in the Twitter hotlink.

That said, Jesus.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Translating from the moon runes:

quote:

Fierce hell. Resolution of the arrest of a blogger: Catching Pokemon - "crimes against the constitutional order"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Young Freud posted:

You probably need to translate that, since the Bing translation option isn't available in the Twitter hotlink.

That said, Jesus.
My bad. The image goes roughly like this:

quote:

When making decision, court takes in account the fact that Sokolovskiy is being accused of committing intentional crimes, of small and medium severity, that are targeted against constitutional rights and liberties of a person and a citizen, the foundations of constitutional order and safety of the state, for which the punishment is imprisonment for more than 3 years. No official income, registration in Sverdlovsk oblast', stable social contacts. The fact of acquaintance with eyewitnesses in the case the accused is not denying. As follows from the clarifications given by the accused in the court, his main source of income is creation and publication of videos on the Internet.

All things considered, the indications are that in freedom Sverdlovskiy may continue to carry out criminal activities, flee the law enforcement under the weight of the accusations, and coerce witnesses to change their accounts, i.e. will interfere with the investigation.

Therefore, the court deems the aforementioned considerations exclusive, and considers impossible application of other, softer limitations, for the duration of the initial evidence gathering and establishment phase, to Sokolovskiy.

Basically, an /r/atheist type teenager is getting hell on Earth from every circle of authorities in Russia for making a Pokemon Go video in a church. There was another piece from him today where he alleges of numerous threats from the temporary jail psychologist, implying their ability to irreversibly lock him up in mental asylum, and perhaps even physically reeducate him there by accident.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what the hell does "accidental" physical reeducation entail

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

what the hell does "accidental" physical reeducation entail
Getting beaten up by inmates, maybe "inmates".

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I don't get how playing Pokemon Go in church insults religious sensibilities (who even notices?) or what damage it does to anyone, but eh... Russia. Better ruin some lives to ensure no kid is demonically possessed by an app.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 8, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dwesa posted:

I don't get how playing Pokemon Go in church insults religious sensibilities (who even notices?) or what damage it does to anyone, but eh... Russia. Better ruin some lives to ensure no kid is demonically possessed by an app.

He also made some comments about religion in the video. I haven't watched it, but the pokemon part has actually nothing to do with his arrest and its those comments that got him into hot water.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah there's no denying in him being an edgy militant atheist type, but by most standards there was anything barely worth mention in that regard, in the particular video. Still though, he's in trouble now for just being a smug teen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfMn1yahGYk

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dwesa posted:

Have you never heard of Soviet reversal? It's Russia, so pokemon captures you, as demonstrated by this vlogger. Unfortunately the part where this vlogger fights other vloggers until unconscious isn't yet implemented.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah there's no denying in him being an edgy militant atheist type, but by most standards there was anything barely worth mention in that regard, in the particular video. Still though, he's in trouble now for just being a smug teen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfMn1yahGYk

For sure. I just find it mesleading because internet media went for a more clickbaity angle with it, instead of highlighting the real problem which is Russian laws on religious intolerance.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I suspect the real problem is the Russian regime in general.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In other news from Russia, there's a scandal developing surrounding attacks on several women in Beslan, school No. 1 including. Victims were two journalists and at least one member of Voice of Beslan, who were there for a memorial service for casualties in the Beslan school hostage crisis.

Paladinus posted:

For sure. I just find it mesleading because internet media went for a more clickbaity angle with it, instead of highlighting the real problem which is Russian laws on religious intolerance.
Fair enough.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

This somehow fell under the radar. Basically some Ukrainian right wingers set a major tv station office on fire and set up a blockade because they claim it's broadcasting Russian propaganda. Which I don't think is accurate in the first place, but the company does have some ties to Yanukovych's buddies.

Anyway it's over and the protesters have been cleared out and should be investigated so hopefully some semblance of law and order is maintained.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37288630

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
If anyone is interested in Albania, Kosovo and ethnic Albanians in Macedonia...

http://baraz.co/post/69/one-team-or-two---football-highlights-complex-albanian-identity

Baraz.co posted:

On being asked why they would be supporting Albania against Macedonia, a spokesperson for Ballistet, a supporters group for KF Shkendija from Tetovo who brought over 400 fans to the game in Shkoder, told K2.0 that “a more meaningless question could not be formulated even if we put all the academics in the world together.”

It's a bit difficult to slog through all the names of people, places and clubs though.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

This somehow fell under the radar. Basically some Ukrainian right wingers set a major tv station office on fire and set up a blockade because they claim it's broadcasting Russian propaganda. Which I don't think is accurate in the first place, but the company does have some ties to Yanukovych's buddies.

If I am not getting my Russia-loving-oligarch-owned stations confused, they were literally running some of their stories by "DNR" "officials" before publishing them. Which is no excuse for arson --- though seems like a good reason to land some people in jail, were the optics on that not horrible. Mostly because *that* story got zero attention in the West, in part because journalists really don't like when they are criticized, and more so if those providing information on which legit criticism can be based are morons who think doxxing journalists is a good idea.

P.S. quite likely this is just oligarch games about forcing to sell and whatnot.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

"Long live independent Belarus"

http://www.svaboda.org/a/27975925.html

The Pokemon Go video in the church reminds me how hardline the church has become in Russia. I recall reading an article some years ago about the church demanding women dress more modestly.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-church-women-idUSTRE70I5P620110119

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Man the enforced atheism during the Soviet days really made Russian theists broken in the head.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I found out today that Larry King has an RT produced show. (Yes, because of the Trump interview)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OddObserver posted:

If I am not getting my Russia-loving-oligarch-owned stations confused, they were literally running some of their stories by "DNR" "officials" before publishing them. Which is no excuse for arson --- though seems like a good reason to land some people in jail, were the optics on that not horrible. Mostly because *that* story got zero attention in the West, in part because journalists really don't like when they are criticized, and more so if those providing information on which legit criticism can be based are morons who think doxxing journalists is a good idea.

P.S. quite likely this is just oligarch games about forcing to sell and whatnot.
It's quite possible that it was them, honestly I don't remember either way so this was mostly based on word of mouth. Could totally see this some oligarch power play too of course.

BattleMaster posted:

Man the enforced atheism during the Soviet days really made Russian theists broken in the head.
That's why you never do half measures :getin:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

BattleMaster posted:

It's also probably mix of nationalism and lack of any significant reforms. Maybe I am wrong, but there really never were any significant moderate movements, no protestant reformation to challenge them on their religious ground and bring something new, because it was always such a backwards country. State and religion (or lack of it) were pretty much always one, so they have a long history of church that is either backed by state (and backing state) or it is corrupted and controlled by state (bishops collaborating with KGB etc.).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

"Long live independent Belarus"

http://www.svaboda.org/a/27975925.html

The Pokemon Go video in the church reminds me how hardline the church has become in Russia. I recall reading an article some years ago about the church demanding women dress more modestly.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-church-women-idUSTRE70I5P620110119

such a shame they got rid of that flag in favour of that soviet monstruosity

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Browns Moses is yet again being accused of curating a facade for publication of anti-Russian malarkey, as per words of Major-general Konashenkov, chair of public affairs department of Russia's MoD.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dwesa posted:

It's also probably mix of nationalism and lack of any significant reforms. Maybe I am wrong, but there really never were any significant moderate movements, no protestant reformation to challenge them on their religious ground and bring something new, because it was always such a backwards country. State and religion (or lack of it) were pretty much always one, so they have a long history of church that is either backed by state (and backing state) or it is corrupted and controlled by state (bishops collaborating with KGB etc.).

Not quite. There are many different movements in ROC, it's just that a particular wing of the church is more prominent at the moment.

One of the most well-known confrontations between the official church and state was between Ivan the Terrible and Philip II, Metropolitan of Moscow, who was against oprichnina. Phillip II is still venerated as a saint and martyr for this.

But then there's Peter the Great forcing church reforms that abolished patriarchal government and made Synod a de-facto part of state government.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Browns Moses is yet again being accused of curating a facade for publication of anti-Russian malarkey, as per words of Major-general Konashenkov, chair of public affairs department of Russia's MoD.

Stay safe Francis Bacon Ghost

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I should send him a bouquet for all the traffic he drove to our site.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Brown Moses posted:

Flowers are so old school

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

:laffo:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

No black crushed roses?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Incredible, they now deny the green men in Crimea were awarded medals for the mission.

Belarus has elections on 9/11.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 10, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"elections"

edit: how did Lukashenko even get elected back in the nineties?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 10, 2016

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Ran on anti-corruption, defeat the New World Order or something like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Brown Moses posted:

Make sure it's an even number of flowers.

(IIRC there's something about how in Russia, even numbers of flowers are only given for a funeral so giving it to someone for non-funeral reasons is considered rude)