Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Well, you're wrong about crafting because the stars denote efficiency rather than difficulty.

The artifact thing is also different for a variety of reasons. The big one is that your artifact weapon is your only weapon from this point on, and instead of getting newer better weapons, you get upgrades for your artifact. I kind of think this is a neat idea, but it also means that literally every retribution paladin gets an Ashbringer practically handed to them at the start of the expansion. Everyone is special, so nobody is special.

I also wouldn't say that any of the other things you listed are unique to FF14.

fun side effect of the artifacts: they have a talent tree in them and it ends on a dump talent that takes a shitload of artifact power (a special experience points that only applies to one artifact at a time) to max out

if you're a dps the dump passive goes from 5%-15% increased damage

know how in ffxiv you can skip the relic grind and get an equivalent weapon elsewhere? guess what.

oh and you still need "weapon drops" in wow in the form of relics since the weapons item level is based on the three relics in it, except now no matter if you use two-handers or dual wield you need three weapon drops instead of one or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I started playing wow again with some friends and installed some addons that like literally spell out boss fights for you. I know it's an addon but stuff will show up on screen like 'run to the boss' or 'run from the boss' or whatever mechanic is showing up. on top of that the spells books are sorted alphabetically so I'm panning through trying to figure out what I can use when and its super loving annoying.

also the gcd is way shorter and a lot of people think that makes it better but I'm leveling a guardian Druid and I don't think I got a defensive cool down at all until I was like level 37 or something and all I do in combat is spam my current best resource gen and then blow it on one of two abilities. i play it so I can bullshit with some friends but boy howdy it's rough getting back into
I tried playing again and I got really bored from hitting one button to gain resource and then another to expend it. over and over and over. it was like level 1-15 in FFXIV, except always

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

ilifinicus posted:

I tried playing again and I got really bored from hitting one button to gain resource and then another to expend it. over and over and over. it was like level 1-15 in FFXIV, except always

it's almost like the lead designer is super obsessed with pokemon go and won't shut the gently caress up about it to the point he's designing wow around it now

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You're telling me WoW classes still don't have a decent regen on resource classes that aren't casters?

Man am I glad I left that shitshow years ago.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

I'm very glad resource builders aren't really a thing in this game.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mean, they kind of are. a lot of classes build stacks up to blow on something, or work around long cool downs they can extend. the difference is you're not just pressing one button to build the stacks and another to deplete them. playing wow reminds me of like dragoon when 'impulse drive' is its best potency combo or black mage when all you can do is transpose between astral i and umbral i.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i mean, they kind of are. a lot of classes build stacks up to blow on something, or work around long cool downs they can extend. the difference is you're not just pressing one button to build the stacks and another to deplete them. playing wow reminds me of like dragoon when 'impulse drive' is its best potency combo or black mage when all you can do is transpose between astral i and umbral i.

yeah but the current state of a lot of wow classes atm are "spam this attack to build (resource) then use this attack to spend it)

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
They changed hunters in a way I don't like. They took away like, half of our abilities and now as a BM hunter my only way to regen resources is to use an ability on a 12 second cooldown whereas before you had a standard shot ability that you spammed to generate the resource as you needed it. So if I use a bunch of abilities and spend all my stuff I'm basically sat there with nothing to do til the resource regen ability comes off cooldown.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
ffxiv warrior in wow would be in perma-defiance, would have like, heavy swing that built wrath stacks, overpower and inner beast that spent them and like raw intuition and berserk sharing a cooldown. and if you ever used berserk you would get vkicked from the dungeon for trying to do damage.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
fyi these are all examples of why saying things like "cutting down buttons" and "job identity" make some people nervous because that's exactly what the wow devs said when they made every class the same and boring: we're reducing button bloat and bringing back class fantasy

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

sword_man.gif posted:

yeah but the current state of a lot of wow classes atm are "spam this attack to build (resource) then use this attack to spend it)

oh I know and that's why it's awful and I hate it. if a bunch of my old friends didn't play it I doubt I would touch it if they paid me.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Artifacts in WoW are also significantly different than relics in this game because artifacts do cool stuff like give you new abilities or add new effects to current ones instead of just being a raid level glow-stick.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

sword_man.gif posted:

fyi these are all examples of why saying things like "cutting down buttons" and "job identity" make some people nervous because that's exactly what the wow devs said when they made every class the same and boring: we're reducing button bloat and bringing back class fantasy

I think there's a happy medium to be found between only having 4-5 buttons and having to play your keyboard like an organ piano.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

World of Warcraft has addons, does Final Fantasy 14 have those too?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

Artifacts in WoW are also significantly different than relics in this game because artifacts do cool stuff like give you new abilities or add new effects to current ones instead of just being a raid level glow-stick.

That's not really meaningful though because there's no choice involved. You can only use your spec's artifact and the ability it gives you. The artifact ability might as well be completely detached from the relic.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

I think there's a happy medium to be found between only having 4-5 buttons and having to play your keyboard like an organ piano.

oh i agree, i just don't like them saying the exact same things

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also the artifact is literally just a talent tree, which I thought they got rid of because ~*illusion of choice*~

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fister Roboto posted:

That's not really meaningful though because there's no choice involved. You can only use your spec's artifact and the ability it gives you. The artifact ability might as well be completely detached from the relic.

Eh I personally don't care about the spec aspect. Mechanical uniqueness is a sucker's game. I just wish relics (and savage weapons) in ff14 did something more impressive than be the best weapon in that tier and glow.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:agreed:

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

I look at FFXVI's PvP and see even more abilities. Almost makes me want one of those mice with buttons on the side.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Which is a shame, because the best glowy weapons already exist, they're called the crafted ifrit weapons

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Orabilis posted:

I look at FFXVI's PvP and see even more abilities. Almost makes me want one of those mice with buttons on the side.

Share that crystal ball sometime.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Also the artifact is literally just a talent tree, which I thought they got rid of because ~*illusion of choice*~

it's not even loving that, the endgame is to max out everything in it by grinding artifact power

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I got to Idyllshire and man, it's the first time ever the regular store sells gear WAY better than my custom stuff. Either I missed something or that explains my slight struggles at 59.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fister Roboto posted:

Well, you're wrong about crafting because the stars denote efficiency rather than difficulty.

The artifact thing is also different for a variety of reasons. The big one is that your artifact weapon is your only weapon from this point on, and instead of getting newer better weapons, you get upgrades for your artifact. I kind of think this is a neat idea, but it also means that literally every retribution paladin gets an Ashbringer practically handed to them at the start of the expansion. Everyone is special, so nobody is special.

I also wouldn't say that any of the other things you listed are unique to FF14.

This sounds like a more simplistic copy of Lotro's LI system, which finally started doing LI upgrades at level 100 so you'd stop throwing away EPIC AMAZEBALLS AWESOME weapons and class items every couple levels. Except your class item, since a level 60 first age lasted until level cap for a handful of classes.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I started playing wow again with some friends and installed some addons that like literally spell out boss fights for you. I know it's an addon but stuff will show up on screen like 'run to the boss' or 'run from the boss' or whatever mechanic is showing up. on top of that the spells books are sorted alphabetically so I'm panning through trying to figure out what I can use when and its super loving annoying.

also the gcd is way shorter and a lot of people think that makes it better but I'm leveling a guardian Druid and I don't think I got a defensive cool down at all until I was like level 37 or something and all I do in combat is spam my current best resource gen and then blow it on one of two abilities. i play it so I can bullshit with some friends but boy howdy it's rough getting back into

After playing some other MMOs with quick GCDs I'm glad for slower GCDs in FFXIV. Also not needing to use Shift/Alt/Ctrl/Shift+alt/ctrl/etc for the elevendy billion skills some games give you under the expectation that your hands split apart like those data entry cyborgs in GitS.

Virulence posted:

I'm very glad resource builders aren't really a thing in this game.

Monks have stacks and chakra, though yeah it's not as bad as the things you're thinking of. Warrior Priests in WHO were alright with their resource buildup because you either went hammer and tome for the regen it provided or you played the class like Sigmar intended and hosed people up with a sledgehammer while refiling your casting resource through blunt force trauma. :black101:

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

fount of knowledge posted:

Share that crystal ball sometime.

Sorry man, you know the rules. You get one question and the response will be so abstruse as to only make sense in hindsight.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Verranicus posted:

• Time Walker dungeons were added a while ago, but I still think they count. Unlike FFXIV when you outlevel a dungeon in WoW you're done. You can go back and steamroll it but you can't just queue in the dungeon finder and run it like a low level again. So rather than copy FFXIV the whole way and make an actual good level scaling system they'll randomly rotate old dungeons in and out (like a few from a particular expansion every couple weeks) that are now scaled up to the new level range. Pretty sure these only came out after it became clear FFXIV was WoWs biggest competition and not just another fly by night "WoW-killer".

This sounds cooler to be honest, doing a levelling roulette and dreading getting a dungeon that'll just decide to arbitrarily kneecap my rotation by removing a bunch of abilities isn't something I'd consider exactly fun.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Chucat posted:

This sounds cooler to be honest, doing a levelling roulette and dreading getting a dungeon that'll just decide to arbitrarily kneecap my rotation by removing a bunch of abilities isn't something I'd consider exactly fun.

Yeah but the express purpose the levelling roulette is to get skilled/experienced players who are either leveling alt classes or going for end game tokens in a pool to slot into dungeons that new players are trying to get through. Making the dungeons scale up would just gently caress over newer players since why would anyone ever queue for anything that isn't the highest possible level dungeon for them at the moment?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think more people would do lldr if it didn't remove abilities. Nothing is less fun than queuing as a dragoon and getting sent back to impulse drive hell.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I think more people would do lldr if it didn't remove abilities. Nothing is less fun than queuing as a dragoon and getting sent back to impulse drive hell.
swish-swish swoop... swish-swish swoop... swish-swish swoop... swish-swish swoop...

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
level sync should just scale down your abilites

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Braylake or whatever the swamp is called sucks for being a 34 cap. Made warrior really meh when I was trying it out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bonewitch posted:

Level sync'd 60s already do more damage than appropriately leveled characters. "Scaled down" abilities would make this problem even worse. Unless you somehow make entire combos worth less than the first step of the combo, but that would all be a crazy balance issue.

The entire point of lldr is so that low level dungeons are populated, not so you can speed run for 100 eso.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Brayflox is more or less the last dungeon you can tank reliably without going into your tank stance. It's kinda fun in that way.
Also one of the first dungeons where you get Butcher's Block, which owns.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

hobbesmaster posted:

Level sync'd 60s already do more damage than appropriately leveled characters. "Scaled down" abilities would make this problem even worse. Unless you somehow make entire combos worth less than the first step of the combo, but that would all be a crazy balance issue.

The entire point of lldr is so that low level dungeons are populated, not so you can speed run for 100 eso.

i don't care about damage i just hate playing half a class. if i could use my 60 abilites i would do lldr every day instead of once a month

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

bonewitch posted:

The problem with that is since you get abilities as you level and complete quests, it would feel unfair for two characters on the same class in the same dungeon with one having more options than the other simply because they're naturally higher level but scaled down. Normally in a level sync environment you have a mostly even playing field (discounting minor gear advantage), which allows people playing through content for the first time to be able to not be hamstrung by higher level players able to literally poo poo out damage at a rate they can't compete at.

There's no amount of scaling that would make DWT, for example, not be OP in lower level dungeons without nerfing it to below the dungeon level because it's built for a different kind of instance experience. You can experience this yourself by queuing for dungeons unsync, equipping a level appropriate weapon/armor, and watch as you still melt your way through. A lot of higher level abilities just plain have more Potency, and more Potency is always better.

The only way around that would be to scale down the Potency of these abilities, but you'd still run into situations where being able to throw out a Holy, or a Flare, or Divine Veil, etc would trivialize the content just because it stuns, hits a huge AOE, or blocks partywide damage, for example.

Yeah it sucks that you don't have all your stuff when you level sync, but the alternative would be so much worse whenever a player encountered somebody with a higher level character and would ultimately be toxic to the community.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

The problem with that is since you get abilities as you level and complete quests, it would feel unfair for two characters on the same class in the same dungeon with one having more options than the other simply because they're naturally higher level but scaled down. Normally in a level sync environment you have a mostly even playing field (discounting minor gear advantage), which allows people playing through content for the first time to be able to not be hamstrung by higher level players able to literally poo poo out damage at a rate they can't compete at.

There's no amount of scaling that would make DWT, for example, not be OP in lower level dungeons without nerfing it to below the dungeon level because it's built for a different kind of instance experience. You can experience this yourself by queuing for dungeons unsync, equipping a level appropriate weapon/armor, and watch as you still melt your way through. A lot of higher level abilities just plain have more Potency, and more Potency is always better.

The only way around that would be to scale down the Potency of these abilities, but you'd still run into situations where being able to throw out a Holy, or a Flare, or Divine Veil, etc would trivialize the content just because it stuns, hits a huge AOE, or blocks partywide damage, for example.

Yeah it sucks that you don't have all your stuff when you level sync, but the alternative would be so much worse whenever a player encountered somebody with a higher level character and would ultimately be toxic to the community.

I'd imagine most newbie's reactions to a full 60 rotation would be less "oh my god it's so unfair how much higher their potency per second is due to their larger set of abilities" and more "holy poo poo when can I shoot the giant dragon space laser"

Also even if you're wearing appropriate ilevel gear, you're still a level 60 in Haukke and you're going to melt everything because of it

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 6, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It would make leveling tanks in dungeons absolutely miserable, and maybe healers, too, since they now have to try to heal the DPS class with Cure 1 through the massive damage they're drawing instead of the tank, and few DPS classes get any damage mitigation abilities

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

HenryEx posted:

It would make leveling tanks in dungeons absolutely miserable, and maybe healers, too, since they now have to try to heal the DPS class with Cure 1 through the massive damage they're drawing instead of the tank, and few DPS classes get any damage mitigation abilities

This is a much more valid point and they'd probably have to do another pass on threat balance if they did this, but it's nothing really unsolvable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

World of Warcraft has addons, does Final Fantasy 14 have those too?

No it doesn't, thankfully. Keeping up with Addons was one of the worst parts of playing WoW, and that was back during Lich King for me. I can't imagine how it is now.

• Locked thread