Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like why would it bother you to watch stories that don't take place in the present?

The big bads in Buffy are really just there to provide a platform for the main characters to learn things about themselves. I'm okay with that. The whole show is basically one big coming of age saga for the characters, and I think it works pretty well.

Angel didn't work for me at all, and I gave up after 3 seasons. Forever Knight is a much better vampire detective show. That's probably not true, but I do love me some Forever Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snak posted:

Like why would it bother you to watch stories that don't take place in the present?

It just bores the gently caress out of me at this point.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just think that of all the possible legitimate criticisms you could make of Buffy the Vampire Slayer... "takes place in the past" is a truly bizarre one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Regy Rusty posted:

I just think that of all the possible legitimate criticisms you could make of Buffy the Vampire Slayer... "takes place in the past" is a truly bizarre one.

It's not that, I said it's so loving dated that it makes it hard to enjoy at this point. Also kind of hard to appreciate at this point if you're not right in that age that the cast was playing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not a Sopranos season 1 fan, I take it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Don't ever watch anything that wasn't made in the year you're currently in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrVenkman posted:

Don't ever watch anything that wasn't made in the year you're currently in.

Other than SciFi and Fantasy series I rarely do.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like I can kind of get not liking period pieces, because they sometimes use the "exoticness" of the setting as a crutch. But were talking about a show that was set in the present when it came out.

When I think "dated", I generally think of cultural references that are no longer relevant, or characters speculating incorrectly about the future. Sometimes looking dated can mean that styles of acting, directing, cinematography, etc have evolved and it will be noticeably different from more recent shows.

Sometimes there are things in really old shows that seem strange because they don't reflect what was realistic for the time, but had to be done a certain way because of standards and practices. Like Lucy and Ricky having seperate beds.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snak posted:

Like I can kind of get not liking period pieces, because they sometimes use the "exoticness" of the setting as a crutch. But were talking about a show that was set in the present when it came out.

When I think "dated", I generally think of cultural references that are no longer relevant, or characters speculating incorrectly about the future. Sometimes looking dated can mean that styles of acting, directing, cinematography, etc have evolved and it will be noticeably different from more recent shows.

Sometimes there are things in really old shows that seem strange because they don't reflect what was realistic for the time, but had to be done a certain way because of standards and practices. Like Lucy and Ricky having seperate beds.

Have you watched BTVS recently? Nobody talks or dresses like anyone on that show at this point and most of the music from the show is clearly a product of it's time. We're talking about poo poo that was close to 20 years ago.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, im watching it now.

No poo poo people don't dress today like they did when the show came out. How does that impact the quality of the show?

Like are the characters and stories not interesting because they dress differently than kids today?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snak posted:

Yeah, im watching it now.

No poo poo people don't dress today like they did when the show came out. How does that impact the quality of the show?

Like are the characters and stories not interesting because they dress differently than kids today?

I honestly don't find it that interesting as I haven't been in high school for 19 years.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Snak posted:

Angel didn't work for me at all, and I gave up after 3 seasons. Forever Knight is a much better vampire detective show. That's probably not true, but I do love me some Forever Knight.

I'd probably recommend then reading a Wikipedia summary of the craziness that was season 4 and trying the final season (5) it is a sort of reboot if you will, places everyone in a very different position than previously. Also season 5 has some of the strongest episodes on the show, including a submarine ep takes Angel back to the heady days of finding himself on a Nazi U-boat full of Vampires.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

It's definitely my favourite vampire detective show. Third season wasn't so great, though.

I did enjoy that when Geraint Wyn Davies showed up as the Immortal of the Week on an episode of Highlander, his character was married to a woman called Jeannette.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

UnquietDream posted:

I'd probably recommend then reading a Wikipedia summary of the craziness that was season 4 and trying the final season (5) it is a sort of reboot if you will, places everyone in a very different position than previously. Also season 5 has some of the strongest episodes on the show, including a submarine ep takes Angel back to the heady days of finding himself on a Nazi U-boat full of Vampires.

I agree that Angel was a more satisfying show than Buffy, due to the darker, more mature themes, the massive story arc of Seasons 2-4 (which had some bad parts, but was generally good), the absolute inspired greatness of Season 5, and the incredible character development that rescued some of the worst characters from Buffy and made them all amazing.

Both shows had lousy first seasons but improved tremendously. Buffy's musical episode might be my favorite single episode of any TV series ever, but Angel Season 5 is probably my favorite single season of any show ever. And Wesley is definitely one of my favorite characters in any medium, any genre.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's definitely my favourite vampire detective show. Third season wasn't so great, though.

I did enjoy that when Geraint Wyn Davies showed up as the Immortal of the Week on an episode of Highlander, his character was married to a woman called Jeannette.

Yeah I haven't gotten around to watching the third season yet. It's hard to find motivation knowing that Schanke isn't in it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Angel was a little bit too dark and explicit in its existentialism for my taste- I preferred Buffy's heroic journey.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Angel was a little bit too dark and explicit in its existentialism for my taste- I preferred Buffy's heroic journey.

I liked Angel more specifically because of that. Angel's quote about how nothing is as it ought to be but that they fight for the world as it should be is one of the few highlights of the Jasmine season and the series as a whole. One of my close friends hated that Angel ended on a downer note (ignoring those loving terrible Season 8 comics) but I think it was one of the better series finales I've seen.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

I liked Angel more specifically because of that. Angel's quote about how nothing is as it ought to be but that they fight for the world as it should be is one of the few highlights of the Jasmine season and the series as a whole. One of my close friends hated that Angel ended on a downer note (ignoring those loving terrible Season 8 comics) but I think it was one of the better series finales I've seen.

"We live as though the world is as it should be, to show it what it can be."

I love that line. So superheroey. It's up there with "With great power comes great responsibility" and "May the Force be with you" for me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rhyno posted:

New viewers tend to be turned off by shows that feel dated. I can't sit through early Supernatural seasons because of the ancient tech they use.

Haha what the gently caress

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ugh al these loving noir detectives keep wearing hats and being in black and white and they dont have cell phones i guess i'll never watch the big sleep

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i wanted to like breaking bad but then i saw jesse play an xbox 360 and it totally ruined it for me

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

and why the gently caress woud i watch casablnaca its got nazis in it we dont have anhy of those

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Brother Entropy posted:

i wanted to like breaking bad but then i saw jesse play an xbox 360 and it totally ruined it for me

Them completely loving up the time period the show was set in just so they could have product placement for a mediocre upcoming FPS was pretty funny, though.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Them completely loving up the time period the show was set in just so they could have product placement for a mediocre upcoming FPS was pretty funny, though.

i don't remember this, what game was it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

There's a definite window of time, like five-fifteen/twenty years where a lot of movies and shows that are set in the present are outdated but not outdated enough to be retro and it gets worse the more the show relies on the filmmaking style or ~high-tech gizmos~ of the time

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

theflyingexecutive posted:

There's a definite window of time, like five-fifteen/twenty years where a lot of movies and shows that are set in the present are outdated but not outdated enough to be retro and it gets worse the more the show relies on the filmmaking style or ~high-tech gizmos~ of the time

Which is my biggest problem with Buffy, it relied too heavily on being topical and in the now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw a few minutes of Buffy back when it was airing on UPN. I saw a teen girl doing kung fu on dudes wearing lovely rubber masks. I think they were supposed to be the vampires? Looked loving terrible and I was like 12 years old. I watched WMAC Masters instead.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw a few minutes of Buffy back when it was airing on UPN. I saw a teen girl doing kung fu on dudes wearing lovely rubber masks. I think they were supposed to be the vampires? Looked loving terrible and I was like 12 years old. I watched WMAC Masters instead.

Sounds like you made a good decision.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Roast of Rob Lowe is on in 35 minutes. I'm hoping it's a good one; it can't be any worse than the Seth Rogen-led circle jerk of James Franco.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Brother Entropy posted:

i don't remember this, what game was it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCNSF7lsoSY

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Roast of Rob Lowe is on in 35 minutes. I'm hoping it's a good one; it can't be any worse than the Seth Rogen-led circle jerk of James Franco.

Ann Coulter is there and does not fare well

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Ann Coulter is there and does not fare well

Word has it she ate poo poo all night and completely bombed her set.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Read an article on the burns on Coulter and they're absolutely beautiful.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Oh god, were those the hype men from the Roast Battle show?

This being entertaining could hinge on their participation. If they're involved, I'm out.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The 80s-themed entrances are an awesome note to start off on.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Why is Peyton Manning here?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Why is Peyton Manning here?

The same reason Ann Coulter's here. That was literally Lowe's strategy: he wanted a weird collection of people on the dais because it was funnier to him if he imagined people asking "What the gently caress is he/she doing here?"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rob Riggle. :killdozer:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do love all the close ups on Ann Coulter's face that's barely hiding how angry she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

bobjr posted:

I do love all the close ups on Ann Coulter's face that's barely hiding how angry she is.

"barely"

• Locked thread