Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
munakata is an idealist, but the only ideal he adheres to is that he is right all the time and dissenters must die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm looking forward to playing as Punished Munakata in the Danganronpa fighting game

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Narukami Rising: Revengance

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

This episode was hilarious

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Also this

Butt Ghost posted:

Burn it all to the ground

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Butt Ghost posted:

Narukami Rising: Revengance

That's V3, we're currently in the "MGS4" stage where the break-dancing robot fights a mooing AT-ST.

video games are weird

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
The confusing thing to me is why Chisa would have an NG code if she was doomed to die from the start just to get the game going.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Slur posted:

The confusing thing to me is why Chisa would have an NG code if she was doomed to die from the start just to get the game going.

Maybe the attacker chose at random? :shrug:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Slur posted:

We don't know if she was only there to die first, we don't know how this game was planned. Maybe the only people who the attacker wants to survive for a long time is Naegi and Kirigiri and all the others are just chosen at random.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Slur posted:

I'm thinking that she's going to turn out to be the mastermind. I don't think they revealed what Chisa and Gozu's codes were simply to satisfy our curiosity. I'm betting Munakata will eventually realize the mastermind has been playing him like a drat fiddle. Once he realizes that he's become the despair, he'll get his redemptive moment by killing himself to bring about a world of hope and take out the last remaining despair by activating her NG Code. It seems like the most ironic and poetic end for him to take the same option he recommended to Makoto.

Episode 9 of the Despair arc is going to be a big one. Izuru and Chiaki have finally met, and Chisa is on her way to save the day. What's going to happen?

If my gut is right and this part of the series is meant to be the peak of despair, then I think this will be the point where Chiaki "dies". Whether or not it's going to stick will be another thing entirely. It's possible that they're going to spring the twist on us in Future Episode 10: not only did Kyoko survive, but Chiaki did too! Hope is back.

Though another big question is going to be what happens to Chisa and Mitarai. The next despair episode could contain a big hint as to which one is the mastermind in the Future arc, depending on if either of them get corrupted by Junko. Ryota seems to be in the clear, but will Junko catch up to him?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't think Munataka dying fits with what his character themes have been

I mean his whole stupid problem was he didn't think Class 77 deserved to live. And while he's operating on a smaller scale, he's done poo poo now that's pretty nasty himself.

If Naegi can't get him to calm the hell down and put his fancy Persona-looking brain to work for something positive, then what kind of SHSL Hope is he? The ending amounting to "We managed to avoid dying! Again!" would be pretty lame at this point. And if he kills himself because he realizes he's become despair, he's basically a far less amusing Komaeda at that point.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
The fact that Ruruka had many candies in her mouth makes me think that the attacker changes each time and is brainwashed to kill but she had her candies so she ate a lot of then and started to hurt herself with the knife to fight against the brainwashing and then she killed herself when she realized she couldn't and that's why her body is messed up and not in a high place like all the other ones because there was no one in the room besides her to do that.

And also the door was blocked by rocks so unless there's a secret passage or she took then out again I don't think the attacker entered the room

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I hope Kirigiri is dead

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Did Munakata decide that everyone had to die the moment the killing game began or what. He's cray regardless but I think something the old man told him made it worse. We won't find out what he said until the last 10 seconds of the epilogue, won't we.

E: also why were they(the camera) intentionally dodging Kirigiri's bare hand. Are we not allowed to see scars? That scene made a big deal out of it in a roundabout way.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

actually nanami is in fact the unseen 13th branch leader of the future foundation hope this helps

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I hope Munakata cuts Kirigiri's corpse in half to super kill her.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Blade mode her to super death. Render every piece of Kirigiri's comically cubed body in the Havok Engine so they all have their own physics. WE'RE FALLEN DOWN, BLACKENED BY DARK SKIES

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Then a giant Monokuma Gear crashes into Hope's Peak Academy and Togami is there and he pulls out his katanas and says "I was the one who killed your parents, Munakata" and they have an epic swordfight. Except instead of katanas it's the scissor blades from Kill La Kill, but they're still named Republican and Democrat.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
And then Chiaki shows up and she and Hajime passionately kiss, and Soda Pop is like "eyyy yea boiiiii that's the good poo poo" as they're all erecting a great bronze statue of Nagito Komaeda, the true hero of the series.

I feel like I lost my point here, but I also think I like where I reached better than what I was originally trying to say.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

uh

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It's nice the crazy theories are back from the old DR thread days but did we really have to bring back bad posts also. Also Metal Gear Rising was a bad game.

Mindblast posted:

E: also why were they(the camera) intentionally dodging Kirigiri's bare hand. Are we not allowed to see scars? That scene made a big deal out of it in a roundabout way.

I think that's just for consistency. They do that in DR1 as well. It could be relevant but I took it as they want us to keep using our imagination because reality won't measure up.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

alcharagia posted:

Whatever this is

:yikes:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
actually yeah that was a bit much my b

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Also Revengeance is actually a great game (even if it's not my favorite Platinum game) and anyone saying otherwise is wrong

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IceBorg posted:

Despair is actually a character name and everytime Junko and co. were talking about Despair they were talking about that person and not despair itself.

The 16th person is Despair who has complex motives.

It will turn out that Despair was a silent character viewing everything from the same POV as the audience, like in a particular game that came out a few months ago.

Wyvernil posted:

Episode 9 of the Despair arc is going to be a big one. Izuru and Chiaki have finally met, and Chisa is on her way to save the day. What's going to happen?

It's going to turn out that being a Super High School Level Housewife also translates to being a badass in a fight, just like with SHSL Student Council President.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 5, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

IceBorg posted:

The fact that Ruruka had many candies in her mouth makes me think that the attacker changes each time and is brainwashed to kill but she had her candies so she ate a lot of then and started to hurt herself with the knife to fight against the brainwashing and then she killed herself when she realized she couldn't and that's why her body is messed up and not in a high place like all the other ones because there was no one in the room besides her to do that.

And also the door was blocked by rocks so unless there's a secret passage or she took then out again I don't think the attacker entered the room

I think you might be on to something.

In the scene showing Ruruka's body, the camera makes a point to show the flickering monitor in the room. What if whenever the rotating attacker wakes up the monitor plays some sort of brainwashing tape, probably based on the idea of Mitarai's brainwashing anime abilities again, to coerce that person into being the attacker? Since Ruruka couldn't get herself out of the room, she had to kill herself to satisfy the attacker's duty.

The only question is how, if the attacker rotates, do they always have that knife. Unless it's something silly like "it comes out of a wall compartment" or "Monokuma waltzes up and hands it to them".

edit: actually, a second question. If it is a brainwashing tape, who made it? Signs would point to Mitarai in that case unless Junko AI 2 is hanging out here in the building.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

alcharagia posted:

I hope Kirigiri is dead

this but ironically

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mindblast posted:

They didn't show her scars in DR1 either.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

"You'll pay for making me kill him, Despair" is the most Danganronpa quote that has ever existed or ever will exist, goddamn. :allears:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

There is like an axe in her body, how would she do that to herself

or is that a knife i can't tell

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~

quote:

I think you might be on to something.

In the scene showing Ruruka's body, the camera makes a point to show the flickering monitor in the room. What if whenever the rotating attacker wakes up the monitor plays some sort of brainwashing tape, probably based on the idea of Mitarai's brainwashing anime abilities again, to coerce that person into being the attacker? Since Ruruka couldn't get herself out of the room, she had to kill herself to satisfy the attacker's duty.

The only question is how, if the attacker rotates, do they always have that knife. Unless it's something silly like "it comes out of a wall compartment" or "Monokuma waltzes up and hands it to them".

edit: actually, a second question. If it is a brainwashing tape, who made it? Signs would point to Mitarai in that case unless Junko AI 2 is hanging out here in the building.

Yeah, the flickering monitor definitely leads me to believe the Attacker is someone forced to do it and forget. I'd been thinking all along the point of the rules not favoring the attacker meant the game was designed for them to get caught, but now it seems like the opposite: the game is designed to only allow for 1 survivor. Beyond that, Rurukas ultra violent death doesn't make sense if the attacker is a knowing participant in the game, since Ruruka was being deliberately goaded into killing (she was provided with an explicit motive in the exit door after all). Why would you be driven to commit revenge over something you knowingly set up? Though that also means that there's no Win condition for Naegi and the gang right now as far as the game is concerned (it also means the entire premise of the game is a lie, though that's no surprise.). Still very unclear WHY everything is happening. But I suspect Despair this week might offer some answers.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

MattTheDoctor posted:

Also Metal Gear Rising was a bad game.

what the gently caress

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Are we allowed to post spoilers yet? The episode's up for a while now.

Anyway, called Boxer dying as soon as the episode started. Not sure why he had to die yet, my prevailing theory in my mind is that he's the reason Chisa died. And Kirigiri was pretty much waving a death flag as soon as she and Naegi started talking.

She's pretty much alive I reckon, the bottle people have spotted lends credence to that. Makes sense from a meta point of view since I'm not sure Spike would kill off one of their fan favourites

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Juzo did nothing wrong. Like seriously.

Munakata is literally Miko from Order of the Stick. I pray that it's revealed that he's being trolled or something because I really can't take him seriously.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Juzo did, like, everything wrong. But he is outwronged by Munakata by a long shot.

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

I highly doubt this is actually the case and it is much more likely to be someone else but:

Mitarai is the mastermind, and there is no attacker- it really is Anime Brainwash Bullshit on the monitors, which he controls using his phone to make the victims kill themselves, with some resistance on their part. Mitarai's genuine regret at helping Junko and unquenchable desire to be THE person who makes everything better, despite being too weak and reserved to do so, has morphed into intense jealousy of Naegi himself, making the motivation both Hope and Despair in some hack writing way.

He wants to use this killing game as part of a new brainwashing anime, one that makes people see him as the world's hope, supplanting Naegi. His plan was to wait for Naegi to be killed during waking hours and then pin everything on someone- not expecting the game to go on anywhere near as long as it did. He is trying to make himself the protagonist of essentially a real life anime with Kirigiri as his heroine/love interest but it's not working because he is a dweeb.Tengan worked out what Mitarai was up to, and the blood message was an attempt to satisfy Mitarai and get him to call off the game by satisfying Mitarai's ego as head Hope dude.

His choice of victims are either to encourage people to kill Naegi or removing those who he knows will not do the deed (Gozu being very explicitly admant about not falling into despair, Seiko being too pure for this world).

As of this episode Kirigiri has her suspicions but can't really voice them- she's playing dead to see how Mitarai reacts to her 'death' as he created that NG code with the idea of Naegi dying well before then.
Obsessed with Kirigiri, He drops the usual poetic murder method and makes Ruruka mutilate herself as vengence for trying to kill Kirigiri and ruin his narrative.

Juzo did nothing wrong.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I like how it looks like it was common knowlegde that Miaya had a robot double because while Munakata is on despair drugs so I don't think he would react but when he destroyed the robot body and Juzu appeared he reacted like it was nothing.

I thought it was Monaca that built that but it looks like she just stole it from the real one. It's also weird that Monaca said she just joined the game by chance to see Naegi but the robot body has all the NG actions and unless Monaca was involved in the plan of that I think my theory that the real Miaya was involved in the project that Tengan talked about(making a new Ultimate Hope) and has something to do with the game is growing.

At least Miaya was a accomplice who was going to observe the game from outside but Monaca killed her and took her robot body over and with it all the NG actions information and also why she knew someone related to Naegi would die.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Mitarai is just way too much of a.... dweeb to be the mastermind though, you know??

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Also could I get a side story explaining whatever the gently caress Sonosuke saw in Ruruka, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Kodaka fleeing from twitter before the episode aired is still making me laugh.

• Locked thread