Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cams
Mar 28, 2003

mickey gall is gonna be nice to the guy who put his name on the map and take him down, force his way into position, and get a sub. maybe feel him out on the feet for a bit but just to humor him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Unless Punk is just saving himself for the fight I don't think Gall's gonna have to force his way into any positions. At all. Every footage I've seen of Punk on the ground he immediately gives up or rests the second his back hits the floor and just sorta lets the other guy mount him or take his back or whatever. I recognize his actions because I do the exact same things 3x a week now and my coach always yells at me or makes fun of me for it. I'm lazy because I'm just a fat lazy goon, Punk however has a fight in front of millions of people coming up.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Haha same except I'm not fat

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

lol remember when he first started and said jiu jitsu was gonna be his specialty?

somehow i think this is all Rener Gracie's fault

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I can't understand why he's only getting his first tab. You get your first tab after 3 months, tops, going two times a week. It's a sign that you're not a complete danger to other people on the mat. I guess, to give him the benefit of the doubt, he's refused any sort of promotion regardless of how minor it is. He looked ashamed at getting the tab.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ICHIBAHN posted:

I can't understand why he's only getting his first tab. You get your first tab after 3 months, tops, going two times a week. It's a sign that you're not a complete danger to other people on the mat. I guess, to give him the benefit of the doubt, he's refused any sort of promotion regardless of how minor it is. He looked ashamed at getting the tab.

I'm pretty sure he has called himself a white belt for life before. Which is what I'll be too because I train once a week and I'm not competing in the UFC.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

He's definitely not a danger to other people

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
I can't even remember how many tabs I had on my white belt before I smugly stopped attending BJJ classes in a gi

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Fushin posted:

I'm pretty sure he has called himself a white belt for life before.

Yeah I heard him say this before too and is that even a thing? Like, advancement is built into martial arts. Being humble or something doesn't play into it- if you have a legitimate trainer, he says when you're a blue belt. That's the whole story, you earned it, it's who you are.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Chris James 2 posted:

It's why I never understood people getting mad at him for not wanting to drink something that tastes bad.

hahahahahahahahahahahh

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Stealth Tiger posted:

Yeah I heard him say this before too and is that even a thing? Like, advancement is built into martial arts. Being humble or something doesn't play into it- if you have a legitimate trainer, he says when you're a blue belt. That's the whole story, you earned it, it's who you are.

It's nothing to do with being humble and everything to do with getting attention. This is always the case if CM Punk is doing it.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Stealth Tiger posted:

At the time he said it, his BJJ training was through an internet correspondence course that does belt testing by students sending in videos of them drilling techniques. Presumably he had no intention of ever submitting to the testing. This lead to some people speculating that his skill level might be at a blue or purple belt level, but now thanks to the good folks at Roufousport we know he's actually a white belt for life because he's bad.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Stealth Tiger posted:

I train under a brown belt once a week because of time so unless I go to a school where I can test under one of the owners I'll be a white belt for life. He did the Gracie Online University and could have at least video tested for their online blue belt which would have counted for something.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Fushin posted:

I train under a brown belt once a week because of time so unless I go to a school where I can test under one of the owners I'll be a white belt for life. He did the Gracie Online University and could have at least video tested for their online blue belt which would have counted for something.

No, those don't count for poo poo.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

CM Punk should have trained under noted Pedro Sauer black belt Bryan Alvarez

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fushin posted:

Nah, he's right. Being a white belt is honestly less embarrassing.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tezcatlipoca posted:

No, those don't count for poo poo.

Yeah that's probably a more eloquent way of putting it.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Yacwz6W0hYM

"The only person that there's less tape on than Mickey is me. He can't watch anything to see what I do. ... I'm going to be that gnarly guy that gets in somebody's face and makes it ugly. I'm a bit of a grinder. I never make it easy for anybody, that's for sure. ... I wouldn't expect anybody to look for superawesome crisp technique out of me. Eventually it's just going to wind up being a fistfight."

RagingHematoma fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 6, 2016

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I liked when Punk gave an interview on FOX Sports and said that he would give Gall, a BJJ brown belt, problems on the ground.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Keg posted:

I liked when Punk gave an interview on FOX Sports and said that he would give Gall, a BJJ brown belt, problems on the ground.

It's not as outrageous to say that in MMA, for example, that documentary that featured Dustin Poirier arm barring that BJJ black belt when he was only a blue belt.

However good or bad punk is at this stage though I am almost positive he could not be as good as Poirier was then. So yeah it's still a stupid thing to say. Thanks for reading.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Someone did some digging and it turns out the Ohio commission had to give Punk a waiver of their safety rules to get a pro MMA license because he has less than 5 amateur fights.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
This better be a worked fight, brother.

I bet we'll see Dana run in with a chair, hit Gall and let punk pin him for the three.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if luke gallows and joey mercury do a run-in it'll be the greatest night in the history of our sport

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

It's not as outrageous to say that in MMA, for example, that documentary that featured Dustin Poirier arm barring that BJJ black belt when he was only a blue belt.

However good or bad punk is at this stage though I am almost positive he could not be as good as Poirier was then. So yeah it's still a stupid thing to say. Thanks for reading.

It's a stupid thing to say, but c'mon. Part of Punk's payday here is hyping the match. You think he's going to come out and say 'Welp, I think I'm in over my head and it'll be a miracle if I make it to Round 2'?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Punk could say this is the toughest opponent of my career, I'm terrified, the only thing that excites me more than women & dinosaurs is the thrill of violence in the octagon, I believe chris weidman is going to beat anderson silva, I don't think lifting weights in beneficial to mixed martial arts, When you talk about stuff that people are doing for me, its called passive income. When you reach a point for your business, you need people, you need a team to work for you to make the money roll in.

he could say all of those things and be a huge PPV star, beloved by his country of Canada, and a role model for all future children who wish to take up MMA.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

cams posted:

mickey gall is gonna be nice to the guy who put his name on the map and take him down, force his way into position, and get a sub. maybe feel him out on the feet for a bit but just to humor him.

hes more likely going to fight for his life and end it as soon as possible

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm sad they got rid of the KO of the Night money bonus, because then I could root for Gall to make extra cash. This certainly isn't going to be Fight of the Night and likely won't be Performance either.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
potn regularly go to brutal knockouts

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
CM Punk better not give up if he gets hosed, otherwise it'll defeat the whole purpose of him being enhancement talent for new fighters.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Keg posted:

Maybe we meant, like, existentially. Like Gall would be forced to question his own meaning while tying Punk into a straight edge pretzel

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

We're almost there boys

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!

bradzilla posted:

We're almost there boys

Will this thread remain open after the big night? Hard to imagine this has been going on for 2 years.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

I feel like that gets waived a lot, actually

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

RagingHematoma posted:

Will this thread remain open after the big night? Hard to imagine this has been going on for 2 years.

Will probably be closed if he loses and drops out of public perception.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I had a dream about this fight last night and I haven't even been paying attention to it, so this is an obvious prophecy. Punk somehow won with a roundhouse kick to the face and then he cried tears of joy.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

vainman posted:

I feel like that gets waived a lot, actually

Technically it would have had to have been waived for Gall, too; he went pro after only two amateur fights.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

fatherdog posted:

Technically it would have had to have been waived for Gall, too; he went pro after only two amateur fights.

Nah. The cited code applies only to amateurs. Gall is already a professional fighter so he would just apply for a license like normal. Anyone who already has professional fights under their belt doesn't fall under any rule in 3773-7-20.

Here's the full text of that section. http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/3773-7-20v1

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah. The cited code applies only to amateurs. Gall is already a professional fighter so he would just apply for a license like normal. Anyone who already has professional fights under their belt doesn't fall under any rule in 3773-7-20.

Here's the full text of that section. http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/3773-7-20v1

He'll be approved now because he has a license from another state which will be reciprocally honored; I'm saying that if Gall had gone pro in Ohio instead of in Jersey he also would have required a waiver.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

fatherdog posted:

He'll be approved now because he has a license from another state which will be reciprocally honored; I'm saying that if Gall had gone pro in Ohio instead of in Jersey he also would have required a waiver.

I misread your statement as if Gall needed a waiver for this fight because of that rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Lets just remember Dana went on a road trip to find a fighter bad enough to fight CM Punk and ended up finding Safe Northcutt. And then deciding Sage Northcutt was too good for CM Punk.

• Locked thread