Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Gotta drive home and I'm almost out of battery so full writeup later but much better night 3 than last year's. I finally picked a PWG tournament incorrectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Just gonna tag the whole thing since the tag matches would spoil who got eliminated in the first round.

Trevor Lee def. Dalton Castle
Ricochet def. John Hennigan
Marty Scurll def. Cody Rhodes
Mark Andrews def. Chris Hero
Mark Haskins def. Kyle O'Reilly
Will Ospreay def. Zack Sabre Jr.
The Young Bucks def. Fenix and Pentagon Jr. to retain the PWG World Tag Team Championships
Trevor Lee def. Mark Andrews
Marty Scurll def. Mark Haskins
Will Ospreay def. Ricochet
Jeff Cobb, Cedric Alexander, Tommy End, Chuck Taylor, and Jushin Liger def. Matt Riddle, Pete Dunne, Sami Callihan, Brian Kendrick, and Tommaso Ciampa
Marty Scurll def. Trevor Lee and Will Ospreay to win the 2016 Battle of Los Angeles

Almost two years exactly since they first debuted the move, someone finally kicked out of the Meltzer Driver. Would like pretty much all of the debuts to keep getting booked except for maybe Hennigan, but even his second match was much better than the first so maybe I'm too harsh on him. Wasn't especially impressed by Haskins at first but he converted me by the end of the weekend. I had seen Kendrick hanging out backstage on the first two nights so I knew he was here, but it was still a cool surprise to see him come out for the giant multi-man tag. He got a big reception too, which he seemed really surprised and flattered by, or if not he faked it well.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Scrull was def the right guy to win the tourney this year. He has been a dude who has been over every match, has had great match after great match but hasn't had that big defining PWG moment. So congrats to him.

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)

The_Rob posted:

Scrull was def the right guy to win the tourney this year. He has been a dude who has been over every match, has had great match after great match but hasn't had that big defining PWG moment. So congrats to him.

He's got such a great sense of how to control the crowd. He really was the best guy going all weekend too.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I thought Ospreay was the MVP of the weekend, personally, and I really thought he was going to win the whole thing especially after he pinned Zack. But I guess he must be too busy with his NJPW commitments for PWG to feel comfortable booking him to win BOLA.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
For a company that is kinda non-committal to consistent storylines, PWG sure does have a high batting average when it comes to who should go over.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Nights 2 and 3 sound awesome as hell, can't wait for the DVD.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

For a company that is kinda non-committal to consistent storylines, PWG sure does have a high batting average when it comes to who should go over.

I mean really what they do is just old school basic booking. Where as other companies think they are doing high drama and will sacrifice competent booking for their lovely story lines.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
PCW, WXW, Beyond Wrestling, and CZW are doing an open weight and cruiser weight tournament in the UK. PCW also issued a statement between their relationship with ROH.

http://prestoncitywrestling.com/news/2016/09/05/roh-out-wxw-czw-beyond-wrestling-in

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I assume that's a prelude to them hooking up with RevPro to complete the circle of 'feds that put NJPW talent over'

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So why does Reseda hate Hennigan/Morrison?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I thought Riddle was going to do more than be in a ten man tag. Oh well.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

EugeneJ posted:

So why does Reseda hate Hennigan/Morrison?

There's a lot of crossover between the PWG crowd and the people that go to LU tapings, so they're accustomed to booing him already

TV Zombie posted:

I thought Riddle was going to do more than be in a ten man tag. Oh well.

He lost to O'Reilly in the first round. I would be pretty shocked if he doesn't get booked again though.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grozz Nuy posted:

There's a lot of crossover between the PWG crowd and the people that go to LU tapings, so they're accustomed to booing him already

I read a lot of reports that the crowd wasn't reacting to him like you'd think they would - did he piss someone off? Or is he just considered an outsider?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

he's not that great

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

oatgan posted:

he's not that great

I feel like he's a good tv wrestler. He can go out there play to the camera do his few spots and generally have a good tv match. PWG has a bit more experimentation though and I don't think he has worked many places like that.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

The_Rob posted:

I feel like he's a good tv wrestler. He can go out there play to the camera do his few spots and generally have a good tv match.

This would be a killer gimmick. Especially if he works in a couple of pause for commercial break spots into a match

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah he feels like he's working for a camera 20 rows up instead of for a room

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DEAR RICHARD posted:

This would be a killer gimmick. Especially if he works in a couple of pause for commercial break spots into a match

::throws on a headlock for 5 minutes::

::crowd boos mercilessly::

::His manager with a headset motions to him and shouts WE'RE BACK!::

Oh poo poo, get Truth Martini to be his manager

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

EugeneJ posted:

::throws on a headlock for 5 minutes::

::crowd boos mercilessly::

::His manager with a headset motions to him and shouts WE'RE BACK!::

Oh poo poo, get Truth Martini to be his manager

This would be such a good heel gimmick.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Reseda is the worst place to work a WWE style match and that's pretty much all Morrison can, or at least is willing, to do.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Super No Vacancy posted:

yeah he feels like he's working for a camera 20 rows up instead of for a room

He just doesn't seem to put a lot of energy into his matches? I was surprised when I saw Meltzer say that he badly wanted to break in to PWG, because it wasn't evident from his wrestling.

I don't want to be too harsh on the guy, his second match was pretty good and he wasn't stinking up the place or anything, he was just sort of... there, on a weekend when everyone else was bringing it as hard as they could. Like, just comparing him to the other guys who have broken into PWG via LU, Cobb and especially Fenix and Pentagon were going crazy in the ring while he just seemed to be treating it like another day at the office.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 5, 2016

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grozz Nuy posted:

I was surprised when I saw Meltzer say that he badly wanted to break in to PWG, because it wasn't evident from his wrestling.

Hennigan's been at PWG shows for months as a fan, so I thought maybe he wasn't wrestling because they couldn't/wouldn't pay him what he wanted

If he's big-timing them on pay he's probably never going to be invited back

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Grozz Nuy posted:

He just doesn't seem to put a lot of energy into his matches? I was surprised when I saw Meltzer say that he badly wanted to break in to PWG, because it wasn't evident from his wrestling.

I don't want to be too harsh on the guy, his second match was pretty good and he wasn't stinking up the place or anything, he was just sort of... there, on a weekend when everyone else was bringing it as hard as they could.

That's why I say he is a good tv wrestler. He is never going to go out there and have a poo poo match, but he is never going to be the guy to go out and just try something new and different. He is going to stick to his spots do his job and move on.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Grozz Nuy posted:

I don't want to be too harsh on the guy

I do. He stinks.

E: He was the aj lee of the mens division

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Grozz Nuy posted:

I assume that's a prelude to them hooking up with RevPro to complete the circle of 'feds that put NJPW talent over'

Lets be fair here, RevPro gets to put its talent over NJPW guys far more often than ROH does. Then again I think the dynamic between the bookers is a bit different.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I do. He stinks.

E: He was the aj lee of the mens division
He was the only good one??

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Basic Chunnel posted:

He was the only good one??

he was pretty good in a bad stretch and thus looked better than he was but as soon as better talent comes in he gets left in the dust

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

One of the things that I think sort of marks him out from the other people who come into PWG is that those who have these big performances all have a point to prove. Like even with Cody, he's trying to prove he can hang with the top talent and prove something to people and to himself. I honestly don't think that Morrison has that mentality.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Super Dragon putting his Labor Day to good use, Night 1 preview is already up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-lBy2o8HQM

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Super Dragon putting his Labor Day to good use, Night 1 preview is already up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-lBy2o8HQM

Tommy end vs ZSJ looks loving rad, and Fenix and osprey landing on their feet for the Spanish fly was amazing.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

now im scared that he read my twitter and is coming to beat me up/explode his leg all over my house

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

he was pretty good in a bad stretch and thus looked better than he was but as soon as better talent comes in he gets left in the dust

This is by the way where a lot of the male 2005-2010 WWE talent acquisitions are rapidly finding themselves with the new alignment toward "be more like ROH."

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This is by the way where a lot of the male 2005-2010 WWE talent acquisitions are rapidly finding themselves with the new alignment toward "be more like ROH."

It's a good thing Matt Sydal was always really good.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

The_Rob posted:

Tommy end vs ZSJ looks loving rad, and Fenix and osprey landing on their feet for the Spanish fly was amazing.

It was my favorite match of Night 1, although I really liked Cobb/Ricochet, Fenix/Ospreay, and Liger/Hero as well.

What if I told you that the Spanish fly spot was not only not the spot of the weekend, it wasn't even the craziest thing Fenix himself did at BOLA?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

It was my favorite match of Night 1, although I really liked Cobb/Ricochet, Fenix/Ospreay, and Liger/Hero as well.

What if I told you that the Spanish fly spot was not only not the spot of the weekend, it wasn't even the craziest thing Fenix himself did at BOLA?

Ugh so bummed I couldn't get tix. Can I get in with your group next year when they go on sale?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Ugh so bummed I couldn't get tix. Can I get in with your group next year when they go on sale?

If I'm still living close enough to go to shows by next year, sure! BOLA's an awesome party but I did miss having the big crew from last year.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Grozz Nuy posted:

That was a really good spot though. How one prepares themselves to stand after flipping in the air will always impress me.

Regarding Hennigan, maybe he hasn't worked around enough in other indies to break away from his current style? Unless, he's doing that in hopes of getting signed again to the 'E?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

He probably wants to come back soon but I doubt he's interested in being a brand split JTTS.

Plus he's got five feet of Filipino Nightmare baggage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
He gets to be a top guy in Lucha Underground as opposed to just another midcarder in WWE, and iirc he doesn't like the travel aspect of wrestling so LU shooting entirely in LA is appealing as well. I dunno if he still cares about legit acting anymore or not, although WWE Studios is also much more of a thing than it was when he left so he could potentially still do that in the fed.