Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Jason Sextro posted:

he misspoke - he meant to say Frontier's been writing lore for Elite: Dangerous for 4000 years now

Ancient Egyptian pyramids are representations of Elite: Dangerous ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Michaellaneous posted:

Just got posted unironically in the SC discord.
I've bookmarked this excellent fan art for use in the event that positive Star Citizen news is ever released.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

AP posted:

INSERT DISK ERROR ON STARTUP

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 start star citizen
2 log in
3 click launch

ACTUAL RESULT
game loads, but I get a cig launcher error saying I need to insert a disk into a drive. I have to close around 8-10 of them before I can get into the game. game loads normally I should note that if I close the game, but not the launcher and relaunch the game, I no longer get an error.

EXPECTED RESULT
Game loads without disk errors

I love all of these but this one might be my favorite.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

SomethingJones posted:

Q: A lot of people want to know how Virtual Reality will be implemented, have you got any issue with the animations?

ehrm... so... that's actually... us for VR's very eas... it's like LOOKING OVER and you see, you know...

He realised mid-sentence that if he finished saying it, then people would hold him to it. Quick thinking on his feet to change the subject.

quote:

Q: A game like No Man's Sky is using procedural generation of planets, how will Star Citizen be different in that aspect?

CR:
EHHHH WELL because we're not... we're not... we... we have a TOTALLY DIFFERENT APPROACH... so uhhh... star... there... there's like... I'm not interested in having a BILLION or a QUINTILLION or EIGHTEEN QUINTILLION star systems that are all RANDOMLY PUT TOGETHER so... all we do... so the PROCEDURAL... PROCEDURAL PLANETS is a BAD WORD FOR IT, what it is is... they are ARTIST AND DESIGN DRIVEN PLANETS THAT USES PROCEDURAL TECHNIQUES TO EHM LIKE BUILD OUT AREAS QUICKLY. So... but in terms of the planet like specify... like HOW YOU BUILD it... like where the mountains will be where the oceans will be where the desert will be where the forest will be... that's all SPECIFIED by an artist at a higher level... and then they build, ehm... sort of TEMPLATES COMPONENTS where procedural tech can take all the higher level, uhm, like... kind of WORLD... and the WORLD HEIGHT MAP... and it applies the SETS of like 'OK, here's the... here's like a FOREST BIOME or here's a MOUNTAIN BIOME or here's a DESERT BIOME' and the it puts them, paints them in areas somewhere the artist has specified...

So essentially we're using the tools to allow artists to RAPIDLY GENERATE really interesting locations so all the locations we have, we're not hitting a button that GENERATES RANDOM NUMBERS... Wow! That planet! Or that planet! So it's completely different from NO MAN'S SKY which does it that way, which is also kind of the same way that ELITE does it too... so ours is specifically built to construct and design the worlds and we're just making it so an artist with the right... with all the TEMPLATES DONE RIGHT can create a world IN LESS THAN A DAY... then... then it's just a matter of how much time he wants 0to put, like, certain areas he sort of wants to really CRAFT or just leave it the sort of the way it was sort of done

He is trying to avoid the comparison at all costs, even though what they are doing is exactly the same. NMS procedurally generates a planet, and then plops down handmade set pieces. The only difference being is that Croberts is promising higher resolution surface textures, and a greater number of more elaborate set pieces. Good thing that he has an additional 300 staff and a hundred million dollars over NMS.

Instead of giving you a quintilian stars, we will hand select a hundred of them. If you took the first hundred stars you visit in NMS, you'll get a variety that looks functionally identical to a collection of hand-picked planets (Earth world, red world, rocky world, moon-like world, water world, stormy world etc). And you can do it in the same amount of time that is takes for one of CIG's artists to generate a planet. Truly amazing stuff.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Tokamak posted:

Truly amazing stuff.

Are you being sarcastic?

If so, remember to use /s

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
It's been said before but Star Citizen could be the best space horror game ever made.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

It's been said before but Star Citizen could be the best space horror game ever made.
Add some bone cracking sounds and screams and it's most of the way there.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

D1E posted:

Are you being sarcastic?

If so, remember to use /s

I don't think Chris know of /s… or of much of anything really.
Even if he knew of it, he wouldn't understand it.
Even if he understood it, he wouldn't use it, because he's just that deluded.

Every time I hear Chris speak or read a transcript of what he says, new record levels of incredulity and scorn are reached.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

MeLKoR posted:

This keeps popping up so I hope you can clear it once and for all

1- how much were you refunded for?
2- how much are you in for now?

unrelated

3- did you read the gameranx article?

1- I wasn't refunded, I had to get a chargeback, and it was for about ~$1,200. In total I had put in a couple thousand over the three year life of the project, and I made significantly more than that selling stuff off through the grey market. I don't consider that a huge amount, when I look at what I spend on hobbies in a three year period I've put quite a bit more into cycling, for example. My mistake was taking some of the profits from those sales and putting them back in last November when it seemed like development was going to pick up. And I'm completely fine with admitting that it was stupid to spend so much on bullshit, which is why the continued needling about it doesn't really bother me- I learned and I moved on. I feel a lot of pity for the people here who also got suckered at some point, and are unable to discuss it openly for fear of becoming a thread punching bag. It's just a comedy forum, people, don't let the internet Mean Girls bother you.

2- I am not currently in for anything except laughs. I tried the game again this weekend for the first time since February because it was a free-fly week, and it was still poo poo. If it ever becomes not-poo poo I will consider buying a starter package but at the moment I don't see that happening. I'm playing a lot of Witcher 3 and Total War: Warhammer instead.

3- I will admit, I skimmed. I've been reading this thread for over a year- CR's failures at practically every aspect of his career are not news to me, and I'm pretty tired of slogging through 20k word articles for or against Star Citizen. Did you read what I posted? Nowhere am I arguing that Chris Roberts is competent, or that I have any faith in his ability to manage this project out of the hole he's put it in. I'm just saying, if the only reason for this thread to exist is to convince current backers to get out, then it doesn't help to get all hyperbolic about their incompetence. They are very incompetent, don't get me wrong, but they'll still be putting out something this year if only to support another November ship sale. My bet is that it will be exactly what they demo'd, with the single modeled planet and landing area and virtually no other details. They'll use this to support a bunch of ground-based vehicle and exploration ship sales, then drop support for it for another year. Why change what works?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Chris Roberts Interview Gamescom 2016 SCIC
26 Aug 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xILkUz9QAJQ&t=597s

Part 2 of 2

Q: How will gameplay differ from single player, from small sized organisations up to bigger ones?

CR:
Eh I think we'll just... we're... we're... DEFINITELY... gonna be DESIGNING gameplay that's like... SINGLE PLAYER STUFF or YOU AND A GROUP OF FRIENDS or you're part of a BIG ORGANISATION... and it's just DIFFERENT THINGS you can do so one of the nice things with the PROCEDURAL... tech, ah... the... that I was thinking... ah... that we wouldn't be able to do for quite a while but now we're PROBABLY gonna do is, we're now gonna have a lot more sort of... PLAY AREAS and since we're planning to put everyone in the SAME INSTANCES so they'll just, there'll DEFINITELY be a case where you and your organisation could like pull off... find a place you like on one of the planets and then bring in some HABITATS and build your own little BASE and then SHIELD, put a SHIELD so it can't really be seen by other people and then give out LOCATIONS for them to JOIN YOU and then some OTHER ORGANISATION will be cruising around and will be scanning stuff and then will find your PLACE and there could be a BATTLE...

I mean that's the kind of stuff that... because we're now letting you go... it's not... 'Oh! There's a planet and now I'm gonna do an automated landing to go down', there's just a whole bunch of more gameplay that opens up in terms of... TERRAIN that you can go on and you know whether it's other players or... you know, AI ENCOUNTERS you can have, you know... whether there's, you know... PIRATE CAMP spawned down on the planet and you go down and VISIT or there's a pilot that STRANDED and you gotta go rescue him or whatever

There's a whole OPTION of different sort of content and gameplay beyond sort of what you would normally be able to do just with SPACE

Q: So will we be able to colonise planets, asteroids, moons, and make our own little settlement?

CR:
Depending on where it is, YES.

So there... there... the... SO. With the tech that we're DOING, uhm... that's much more POSSIBLE now than it was before, and we're also TRYING to have this MESH OF SERVERS so we can have a lot more people in the same instance, so it won't be so INSTANCED as we were thinking before, so... uh.. the... the goal is... that we're gonna have a lot of... that's what I was... I mean if you think about like EARTH, there's seven billion people on EARTH, there can be areas you can walk, you can walk and never see another person... and... you know... in our WORLD... if we have... TEN MILLION PLAYERS, ten million people that have bought STAR CITIZEN and will play it, then you're likely to have about a million people concurrent, that's sort of a TEN PERCENT... so that'd be amazing cos WORLD OF WARCRAFT has done that... ahh... but a MILLION PEOPLE and you're spread out across hundreds of star systems which each will have multiple planets so you're talking three, four, five, six hundred planets, the MOONS, there's a HUGE, MASSIVE amount of TERRAIN so there's... I think there's an opportunity and plenty of places for people to sort of make their BASES or set up

So that's kind of one of the COOL THINGS I'm set about because of the planet stuff that we're doing... increase the... the PLAYSPACE, the PLAY AREA, now you have these worlds that you can go DOWN ON as well as SPACE.

So YEAH, we're GONNA DO IT

End title:
A big thank you to Chris Roberts for his kind disposition and David Swofford for his professionality and all the rest of the great staff

edit - pastebin of full transcript
http://pastebin.com/br55z17J

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 6, 2016

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

This, this is art.

This game never fails to surprise on how badly they can break a game.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

SomethingJones posted:

Eh I think we'll just... we're... we're... DEFINITELY... gonna be DESIGNING gameplay that's like... SINGLE PLAYER STUFF or YOU AND A GROUP OF FRIENDS or you're part of a BIG ORGANISATION... and it's just DIFFERENT THINGS you can do so one of the nice things with the PROCEDURAL... tech, ah... the... that I was thinking... ah... that we wouldn't be able to do for quite a while but now we're PROBABLY gonna do is, we're now gonna have a lot more sort of... PLAY AREAS and since we're planning to put everyone in the SAME INSTANCES so they'll just, there'll DEFINITELY be a case where you and your organisation could like pull off... find a place you like on one of the planets and then bring in some HABITATS and build your own little BASE and

4+ years in development already you shitizen retards. Keep pledging!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

SomethingJones posted:

Chris Roberts Interview Gamescom 2016 SCIC
26 Aug 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xILkUz9QAJQ&t=597s

Part 2 of 2
:words:

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

If I didn't know the source, I'd suggest you pursued a career in comedy writing.

Actually, come to think of it, probably not. No-one would find that kind of character believable, no matter how madcap or bizarro humour the show would be categorised as.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm completely fine with admitting that it was stupid to spend so much on bullshit, which is why the continued needling about it doesn't really bother me...

Don't beat yourself up too bad. Seriously.

MoMA's in for over $8K and he's too dumb to recognize a pattern yet.

EDIT: or he's legit on the CIG payroll.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

SomethingJones posted:

I mean if you think about like EARTH, there's seven billion people on EARTH, there can be areas you can walk, you can walk and never see another person... and... you know... in our WORLD... if we have... TEN MILLION PLAYERS, ten million people that have bought STAR CITIZEN and will play it, then you're likely to have about a million people concurrent, that's sort of a TEN PERCENT... so that'd be amazing cos WORLD OF WARCRAFT has done that... ahh...

I honestly don't know where to start.

Which puts me on the same page as Roberts, I reckon.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
"we're not hitting a button that GENERATES RANDOM NUMBERS... Wow! That planet! Or that planet! So it's completely different from NO MAN'S SKY which does it that way, which is also kind of the same way that ELITE does it too..."
- Chris Roberts

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It says right there, "generating a system procedurally", which as everyone knows is where you hit a button and get a random number then ??? game content.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Tokamak posted:

He is trying to avoid the comparison at all costs, even though what they are doing is exactly the same. NMS procedurally generates a planet, and then plops down handmade set pieces. The only difference being is that Croberts is promising higher resolution surface textures, and a greater number of more elaborate set pieces. Good thing that he has an additional 300 staff and a hundred million dollars over NMS.

Instead of giving you a quintilian stars, we will hand select a hundred of them. If you took the first hundred stars you visit in NMS, you'll get a variety that looks functionally identical to a collection of hand-picked planets (Earth world, red world, rocky world, moon-like world, water world, stormy world etc). And you can do it in the same amount of time that is takes for one of CIG's artists to generate a planet. Truly amazing stuff.

No. What NMS does is have the engine generate the landscape as you encounter it, using a seed. What SC is going to do, if it ever comes out, is the same thing every game does - use tools in an editor to generate some semi random landscape, have artists massage it into a desired outcome then save that as a resource the engine loads later on.

THERE IS NO REASON CIG'S "PROCGEN" SHOULD EVEN BE BEING TALKED ABOUT, IT IS NOT NEW IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Lime Tonics posted:

This, this is art.

This game never fails to surprise on how badly they can break a game.

STAR CITIZEN : What is disk?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Interviewer: People didn't like the way this other game did the thing you're doing. Will you be doing it that way?

Chris: Ya, uh we're definitely not doing it that way. Haha, you'd have to be an idiot to do it that way! We're actually doing it this new and totally cool way that's new and cool and I invented it. That other way is dumb haha ya.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

starkebn posted:

No. What NMS does is have the engine generate the landscape as you encounter it, using a seed. What SC is going to do, if it ever comes out, is the same thing every game does - use tools in an editor to generate some semi random landscape, have artists massage it into a desired outcome then save that as a resource the engine loads later on.

THERE IS NO REASON CIG'S "PROCGEN" SHOULD EVEN BE BEING TALKED ABOUT, IT IS NOT NEW IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.

It's not procedural generation, that's why CR refers to it as "procedural tech".

He referred to it as "procedural generation" when procgen was in favour with gamers, now that the limitations of procedural generation are being discussed and the excitement has waned (Elite Dangerous has been churning out brand new never before seen star systems 24/7 for a couple of years now) we're back to it being a traditional hand built and pre-stored system - with copypasta templates placed by artists.

All of those hundreds of systems and planets and moons he's talking about? They will all have to be stored on your hard drive.

In fact they won't, because the entire project is hosed.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/Clifford_Miku/status/771726655106654208

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
This game is good.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It's like watching the world's most retarded one man improv show. Taking "yes, and" to the extreme.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

He thinks he's going to get the same number of concurrent players as the most successful MMORPG of all time?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

With a game that crashes when more than 12 people log on?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I thought what generally happened when CR was spotted in public was, he looked around gormlessly, then boarded his plane to Hawaii, Business class, the backers will never know.

:shrug:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Let me just stop you there.
No.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Oh no, he definitely thinks I think. He's just a loving moron.

There's absolutely no filter between his brain and his mouth, so he might actually have a previously unseen form of Tourette's.. only instead of lasting a fraction of a second, the ticks last for years.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

I love it! One of the last things crobbles says is "we haven't got the code yet." Pretty much sums up the entire SC project, $122 mil and 4 years in one sentence.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
hes a lying hack

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

tuo posted:

That's totally okay. They have procgen now, so content can be created much quicker. They no longer need all those people. They are doing everything right! Downsizing is a GOOD SIGN! It means procgen is finalized and ready for release! Also all of the fundamental work is done and finished, why else would they downsize? Star Citizen comming out soon! AMAZEBALLS!

Why don't they just procgen some developers that work for free?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Nation posted:

hes a lying hack

Well, SQ42 is all ready to go - all they have to do now is write some AI, figure out how the gameplay systems should work then code those too, and code some physics routines. But the mocap is all done so we're basically finished.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

When did MMO base building get added to the wishlist? Is this new?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

starkebn posted:

Well, SQ42 is all ready to go - all they have to do now is write some AI, figure out how the gameplay systems should work then code those too, and code some physics routines. But the mocap is all done so we're basically finished.

The mocap is not finished yet :shhh:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

this ad was at the bottom of this thread. what stage is CIG up to?

it's the yellow part, they've still got 3 months until the end of the year

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Nation posted:

The mocap is not finished yet :shhh:

Only the first 80 hours, true.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Lime Tonics posted:

So the game has only been in development since THE FALL OF 2015, according to some, or the middle of 2014 according to others, some say 2013 is when the real development began. It is unknown when the game was started. Who needs dates anyways?

cats

http://i.imgur.com/U6KwURW.gifv

So that's what he wanted the calipers for.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

This is only true if you imagine them as something significantly less appealing than puppies, while Chris Roberts is grimacing in horror and disgust.

Hyenas, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Palisader posted:

Hyenas, maybe.
Hyenas are intelligent.

They're also matriarchal, so fedora tippers wouldn't be tolerated.

• Locked thread