Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Trump played super nice in Mexico.

Then went home and immediately gave a speech doubling down on all his immigration policies and getting into a Twitter slapfight with Peņa Nieto after pretending not to hear him say that Mexico wasn't about to pay for the wall.

And probably a bunch of other stupid stuff but that was the big one.

Litany Unheard posted:

EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS IS CLINTON DYING???

and a bunch of arguments about self-driving cars that i scroll past

Yinlock posted:

The media is going all-in on the horse race narrative and trying to make Trump the underdog Man of The People, this was initiated like a day after he went to Mexico and was boring, then went to Arizona and held a pseudo hitler-rally.

Ok, thanks. I vaguely heard somethign about Trump having a feud with Nieto and something about 30 new emails or something, but the last thing I needed in an airport was to pay attention to CNN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pastrymancy posted:

I have no idea what questions are going unanswered at this point that they need to ask at whatever these people constitute as a press conference.

Granted, a bunch of them spent half the day tweeting photos of the press plane so I'm sure they're all morons anyways.

You need to have a press conference so that you can get up and ask idiotic questions about emails, the Clinton Foundation, and Hillary's health on TV. Just nothing but those questions by everyone so they can be on TV asking those questions. That proves that they're not biased and are totally serious journalists asking the same question as the last 3 people and holding Hillary's feet to the fire. Gotta have that spectacle on TV so everyone knows who you are and that you're a big boy/girl. Also the opposition press gets to show the people they're pandering too that they're super big boys/girls by asking leading questions that are just repackaged Trump attacks in a less circuitous manner.

Informal gaggles are where they ask actual questions and if they get stupid the candidate can call them out and the other reporters will laugh at them, because there's no spectacle or chance for you to be on TV and wave to your mom while being super serious.

Lote posted:

I've heard solid middle class people say they didn't want a wage increase because working in fast food shouldn't make $15/hr because that would be getting paid too much for the skills involved. These were people that make $30/hr plus benefits and are most likely in a union. They were also discussing how they wouldn't support it even if it meant they would get raises too.

They'll keep saying that until they find out what their raise is going to be. Then they'll talk about how they earned that raise while bitching about how easy kids have it today. Why in my day you made $2.90 and you were happy to have it. No, I don't want to hear about how inflation adjusted that's higher than the current minimum wage or that kids aren't the ones primarily working for minimum wage.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, who wants to read Trump's statement on the hateful hag?
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/772953217957330944

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

NippleFloss posted:

In what way would having a hand on the wheel have prevented him from running straight into an 18 wheeler that was in the middle of the straight road that he wasn't watching because he was watching Harry Potter instead?

This is ignoring that this wasn't an uninformed consumer, it was a guy who literally made YouTube videos testing and demonstrating autopilot and exploring situations where it did and didn't work properly.

Because he would have less likelihood of actually watching harry potter while driving. This is simple.

He was definitely an uninformed customer, because he managed to get guillotined by his own car. Spoiler alert: exploring situations where it didn't work properly literally killed him.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Skeesix posted:

I'm sort of surprised with all that Trump likes to talk up his sexual prowess that nothing has come up regarding his personal life and abortion. Someone he's had an affair with or something.

He claims to have been a womanizer all his life, 50 years or so of adult life. He has 5 children so he's pretty fertile. The odds are astronomical that he doesn't have an illegitimate child or an abortion out there. Or maybe the playboy stuff is all talk...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

iospace posted:

So, who wants to read Trump's statement on the hateful hag?
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/772953217957330944

Globalism and the "kingmakers"? Is that code speak for Jews?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Lote posted:

I've heard solid middle class people say they didn't want a wage increase because working in fast food shouldn't make $15/hr because that would be getting paid too much for the skills involved. These were people that make $30/hr plus benefits and are most likely in a union. They were also discussing how they wouldn't support it even if it meant they would get raises too.

I forgot which goon wrote it but I saved a nice writeup in response to people claiming fast food workers aren't worth 15$ an hour and what they "deserve".

quote:

In regards to minimum wage and the crab bucket arguments you see, I think a decent tactic is to use the "Life isn't fair" argument.

The basic plan is to make them look like idealistic children who believe that life magically rewards people for working hard. You then argue that negotiating power is the only rule.

Any time someone uses the word "should" you can call it out. We don't live in "should land".
Similarly, attack the word "deserve" and also "designed for"

This is a big mythology that the workforce is designed, that it pays people what they deserve and that if you want more, you should work harder.

Maybe that's how it worked in Soviet Russia, a group of party bureaucrats got together and said "Comrade, let's create a job that is designed for teenagers who want to make some extra money during the summer, it's not supposed to be a career"

That's called a centrally planned economy. People get what other people decide they deserve. Jobs are "made" for people and people are put to work where other people think it's appropriate.

Maybe it could work in theory, I don't know. But let's go away from your theories and let's talk about how things really work in the United States.

In our economy, everything is based around negotiation. There's a lot of things that can affect your negotiating strength when arguing over a price. Utility is one big factor, no one wants to buy a square tire, no matter how low the price. Similarly, people are willing to pay a lot for smartphones, even when the material components are quite cheap.

Based on utility alone, it would make sense that useful, productive workers would get paid a lot more.

But there are other factors. When you've got a lot of competition, a high supply of workers, it gives the buyer a better bargaining position because he can always pick someone else. Here's the wage, take it or leave it.

There's also more coercive factors:
You've probably been in the reverse situation. Do you buy cable from Comcast because they're the best and have the lowest prices? If you need internet to work, you're going to pay, no matter the price.

I'm getting off track here, but the point is, if you want to make more money, you've got to be more powerful. Some people manage that by getting rare and valuable skills. That's great, but not everyone can do that, and if they did, those skills wouldn't be very rare anymore and you're back to square one.

Food Service Workers have found another way. They've banded together and said "We want $15, that's the wage, take it or leave it."

People have laughed, but as time goes on, companies are starting to realize that they have to negotiate as equals. They might just take the offer.

So what does that have to do with you, the Pharmacy Tech, the Ambulance Driver, the Assistant Night Shift Manager making $11.00 an hour? Are you going to get a raise because of their work? Probably not. You might try applying for a job at McDonalds and showing the job offer to your boss, "McD's will pay me $15, I want a raise or I quit" Notice the strategy there? You increased your negotiating strength and made a demand.

Or... Maybe you can learn from the food workers. If burger flippers can get $15, imagine how much you're actually worth as a Pharmacy Tech. If you banded together with other techs, could you demand $15? Could you demand $20? What about $25?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump's pissy he's only a millionaire so he isn't considered a king maker.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
To the person earlier today wondering how long people were going to look at Hillary having a couging fit at her speech today, 6th most upvoted post on reddit atm is from the Trumple circlejerk center stage and this is it's title:

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

jre posted:

This is just a bullshit PR stunt, the cars have a driver in them because they don't actually work.

Any "actual machine learning people" thinking that this will be viable in 5 years are idiots or trying to sell you something

Why are all the self driving systems so useless then ? People have been working on this for decades, if it's not a huge challenge why isn't it even vaguely solved with google and others sinking millions into it?

Seriously, you're right that this is basically a tech demo with limited range. It's going to be followed by more and more robust autonomous vehicles, though. If you doubt this, you're basically missing the entirety of the last decades of machine learning.

EDIT: send me your email address. I'll put a thousand dollars on autonomous trucks on US highways by 2026.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

I literally work in a distribution center, so yes.

I'm well aware of when you can automate jobs and when you can't. Truck driving is not one you can. Even in the scenario of "moving trailers from a parking lot to a shipping door" requires steps that are not easily automated.

The automated part is getting a fully loaded truck from point A to point B. You'll still have dock workers and drivers working the lot.

edit: At least initially

Chuu fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 6, 2016

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

No, you're nuts. Sorry you bought a knockoff watch though I guess? Or that you apparently wash your hands with a pressure washer. That some companies already practice horrible advertising doesn't mean it's good.

Industry standard, dude.

https://www.thrillist.com/gear/what-your-watch-water-resistance-numbers-mean

And there's no point discussing False Advertising if you're not also discussing liability.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

To the person earlier today wondering how long people were going to look at Hillary having a couging fit at her speech today, 6th most upvoted post on reddit atm is from the Trumple circlejerk center stage and this is it's title:

R/the_donald takes anything anti-Hillary and upvotes it massively to send it to the front page. Reddit isn't a good barometer for how the actual media is treating the story, though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/06/business/media/roger-ailes-hints-at-suit-against-new-york-magazine.html?src=twr&_r=0&referer=

No really guys this was just a one time thing about Gawker....

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Reddit is a cesspool that is thankfully not reflective of the Internet let alone real life.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BarbarianElephant posted:

He claims to have been a womanizer all his life, 50 years or so of adult life. He has 5 children so he's pretty fertile. The odds are astronomical that he doesn't have an illegitimate child or an abortion out there. Or maybe the playboy stuff is all talk...

I'm pretty sure Trump's dick stopped working years ago. Dude acts like he hasn't gotten laid in ages.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

On the one hand, this is super bad and Peter Thiel is a total shitstain who has set the ball rolling on a Citizens United-style horrific precedent for the media.

On the other hand, this is karma for decades of garbage political reporting and an emphasis on not being biased, over being correct.

Hopefully if enough conservative jackasses sue the media they'll grow a spine and fight back.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kit Walker posted:

I'm pretty sure Trump's dick stopped working years ago. Dude acts like he hasn't gotten laid in ages.

His youngest is 10...

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Stultus Maximus posted:

His youngest is 10...

Yeah, and 9 or so years of having a broken dick would definitely take a toll on anyone. I mean just look at how badly he tries to overcompensate.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

R/the_donald takes anything anti-Hillary and upvotes it massively to send it to the front page. Reddit isn't a good barometer for how the actual media is treating the story, though.

Kind of related, but the Trump squad worked hard to get the news about Dr. Drew being fired from CNN for his comments about Hillary's mental condition onto the front page. As someone who grew up on loveline with Adam Corolla and Dr. Drew, reading about the last decade of his professional and media career in that thread really made me feel like a part of my childhood died.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Eifert Posting posted:

Industry standard, dude.

https://www.thrillist.com/gear/what-your-watch-water-resistance-numbers-mean

And there's no point discussing False Advertising if you're not also discussing liability.

It's not industry standard for a 30 meter watch to be ruined just from being under a shower. It means you have either a incorrectly assembled watch or a knockoff.

And that's bullshit: if I sell you a red mug but told you it was going to be blue it's also false advertising, but with no implicit liability issue.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chuu posted:

The automated part is getting a fully loaded truck from point A to point B. You'll still have dock workers and drivers working the lot.

edit: At least initially

You missed the point. The lot is a very simple system, but not even that can be automated.

Driving from A to B is much more hazardous.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fishmech posted:

It's not industry standard for a 30 meter watch to be ruined just from being under a shower. It means you have either a incorrectly assembled watch or a knockoff.

And that's bullshit: if I sell you a red mug but told you it was going to be blue it's also false advertising, but with no implicit liability issue.

i think you're missing the more obvious conclusion that that guy is just super paranoid about water on watches, to the point it being water-proof not mattering to him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is a really poor decision on Ailes' part because it's just going to bring even more gross stuff about him out into the light when they get to discovery....

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

uninterrupted posted:

Are you the same kind of mindless pedant who says signs should say "inflammable" even though changing the word with "flammable" has literally saved lives?

Nah. One is something that may occur during everyday life and the other involves a significant entry cost and very specific warnings expressed in plain text. If your only chance to experience "inflammable" was bookended by a warning telling you what it meant...

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

There was a lot of hand-wringing in the Supreme Court thread about POM Wonderful LLC v. Coca-Cola Co. that touches on industry standards. To make a long story short, POM is a very predatory company that basically sues anyone who tries to sell Pomegranate juice. Coca-Cola had a product under one of their brands that claimed it was a blend with Pomegranate Juice, with a big Pomegranite on the box art -- but was 0.6% Pomegranite juice.

POM sued saying it was deceptive. Coca-Cola said it met all FDA advertising and disclosure requirements, which was accepted as fact. POM said it doesn't matter -- you can meet all the FDA and Industry Standard requirements -- but it can still be considered deceptive.

POM won the suit 8-0. One one hand, they're a highly litigious company using the courts to try to bankrupt their competitors and force them into licensing agreements. On the other hand, well, they are right.

More on it here(scotus blog) and here(wikiepdia).

Chuu fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 6, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
automated cars won't produce any actual efficiency gains in commuting until 15+ years after the first really viable, robust autonomous vehicle hits the market at a competetive price point because it's going to take even longer for robot cars to be able to deal with bad human drivers in a way that isn't just slowing down

also a large portion of the population is going to avoid robot cars because most likely they will be governed at the speed limit lol

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Wasn't the issue with Gawker is that they didn't honor a DMCA claim on the Hogan sex-tape and then they proceeded to write actual false stuff about Hogan? I don't see how Ailes has a case here but then again all I'm going off of is this article.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

You missed the point. The lot is a very simple system, but not even that can be automated.

Driving from A to B is much more hazardous.

I would actually argue the lot is a much harder problem than interstate driving. I mean, interstate driving in many ways is a much simpler problem than street driving; which at this point is pretty close to solved.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Popular Thug Drink posted:

automated cars won't produce any actual efficiency gains in commuting until 15+ years after the first really viable, robust autonomous vehicle hits the market at a competetive price point because it's going to take even longer for robot cars to be able to deal with bad human drivers in a way that isn't just slowing down.

It's hard to tell from your post; but the current model is that you won't own an autonomous car. They'll be owned by companies like Uber and Google (and Ford? They want in) and you'll exclusively be using an app like Uber to interact with them.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is a really poor decision on Ailes' part because it's just going to bring even more gross stuff about him out into the light when they get to discovery....

Or the point is to file motions and be a pain in the rear end and cost money with out ever going that far.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chuu posted:

I would actually argue the lot is a much harder problem than interstate driving. I mean, interstate driving in many ways is a much simpler problem than street driving; which at this point is pretty close to solved.

A lot is a much much more controlled environment, even though it might have denser traffic.

Street driving is not nearly close to solved unless you live in a featureless (i.e., no elevation change) grid.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

computer parts posted:

A lot is a much much more controlled environment, even though it might have denser traffic.

Street driving is not nearly close to solved unless you live in a featureless (i.e., no elevation change) grid.

Plus Google maps is constantly out of date if you don't live in a metro area.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

"Solved" might be an exaggeration, but Google's street cars have been on the road for more than a year now in Mountain View California which is definitely not a "featureless grid".

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Basically a tightrope act of media credibility, appealing to Birchers, and appealing to white supremacists

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

You are wrong. Actually a shower is problematic for anything under 100 meters because it's easier for steam to penetrate a gasket than water. Google it or check out the watch thread here.

Hell, I'm posting from a phone (Nexus 7) that also greatly exaggerated how waterproof it is.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Chuu posted:

"Solved" might be an exaggeration, but Google's street cars have been on the road for more than a year now in Mountain View California which is definitely not a "featureless grid".

I see uber self drivers on a daily basis in Pittsburgh. If your self driving car can navigate this clusterfuck it'll work anywhere

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Eifert Posting posted:

You are wrong. Actually a shower is problematic for anything under 100 meters because it's easier for steam to penetrate a gasket than water. Google it or check out the watch thread here.

Hell, I'm posting from a phone (Nexus 7) that also greatly exaggerated how waterproof it is.

Stop buying lovely knockoff watches and you'll stop having your watch break when you take a shower. Like seriously a 30m watch should not break just from having a little hot water around it, unless you insist on having some intentionally archaic design.

So you repeatedly get owned by misleading advertising, but you don't think it's bad? You just a masochist bro?

fishmech fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 6, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
"Globalists" means a lot of things to a lot of people. To some, it's simply a codeword for The Jews. For others, it refers to someone who considers Hispanics and Muslims to be people. To yet others, it means someone with a wimpy foreign policy centered around cooperating with other countries. Hell, as we've seen on D&D, there are even some leftists who've been lead to believe that "globalists" means "pro-globalization."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chuu posted:

It's hard to tell from your post; but the current model is that you won't own an autonomous car. They'll be owned by companies like Uber and Google (and Ford? They want in) and you'll exclusively be using an app like Uber to interact with them.
What if you keep stuff in your car? Or is stuff going to be obsolete too

• Locked thread