Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Axetrain posted:

I forgot which goon wrote it but I saved a nice writeup in response to people claiming fast food workers aren't worth 15$ an hour and what they "deserve".
Negotiation or, more accurately, leverage are excellent points though - the goon in question just failed to realize that voting for minimum wage increases and joining a union are how working class people use their leverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Stop buying lovely knockoff watches and you'll stop having your watch break when you take a shower.

quote:

International Standards Organization (ISOO 2281:
Non water resistant: These watches will leak if any water gets on the case or crown
30 meters/100 feet/3 bar: General water resistant watches can withstand minor moisture from splashing, but should not be worn for swimming, diving, bathing, or showering. These watches are the most misunderstood. Most people believe that water resistant printed on the dial means the watch is sealed for swimming, diving, showering, etc. Not true. General water resistant watches should not be used underwater.
50 meters/164 feet/ 5 bar: can be used for swimming in shallow water, but not for snorkeling or other water sports
100 meters/ 328 feet/ 10 bar: are often called divers watches and can be used for snorkeling, swimming, and other water sports, but not high board diving or sub aqua diving.
200 meters/ 662 feet/ 20 bar: Suitable for high impact water sports and aqua diving not requiring helium.
300-1000 meters: professional divers watches and can be worn for deep water diving

So is there a subject you do know about or is it all out of your rear end?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Fishmech knows literally every subject. We are blessed to have his genius around to educate us in a condescending manner on a multitude of topics.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

This is a good post but wow is that dumb. Literally putting "100 feet" means ZERO WATER RESISTANCE PERIOD

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Eifert Posting posted:

Non water resistant: These watches will leak if any water gets on the case or crown
30 meters/100 feet/3 bar: General water resistant watches can withstand minor moisture from splashing, but should not be worn for swimming, diving, bathing, or showering. These watches are the most misunderstood. Most people believe that water resistant printed on the dial means the watch is sealed for swimming, diving, showering, etc. Not true. General water resistant watches should not be used underwater.
50 meters/164 feet/ 5 bar: can be used for swimming in shallow water, but not for snorkeling or other water sports
100 meters/ 328 feet/ 10 bar: are often called divers watches and can be used for snorkeling, swimming, and other water sports, but not high board diving or sub aqua diving.
200 meters/ 662 feet/ 20 bar: Suitable for high impact water sports and aqua diving not requiring helium.
300-1000 meters: professional divers watches and can be worn for deep water diving

And none of that means "it's typical and expected that a shower will break the watch". I get that you're paranoid about it and/or exclusively buy lovely knockoff watches whose only resistance mark is a sticker they printed out, but it's not a problem with your average Timex/Casio/etc cheap 30m watch.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chuu posted:

"Solved" might be an exaggeration, but Google's street cars have been on the road for more than a year now in Mountain View California which is definitely not a "featureless grid".

Google's cars rely on them essentially photographing every intersection to make a map and they still have a human backup.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How do you take a shower so hot steam is permeating your watch. My wife takes showers like that and if I try I feel like I'm getting second degree burns.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chuu posted:

It's hard to tell from your post; but the current model is that you won't own an autonomous car. They'll be owned by companies like Uber and Google (and Ford? They want in) and you'll exclusively be using an app like Uber to interact with them.

this might take a big bite out of the used car market but for many americans owning a car is mentally a token of independence and it will take at least a generation to loosen the idea of owning your own car. especially if you keep personal belongings in the car, have multiple children, etc.

large companies lease tons of housing across america but people still predominantly aspire to home ownership, which usually necessitates one or more cars, and people place a high premium on immediate access to a car - or they will the first time they need to quickly run down to the store for some child medicine or something and are faced with a 30-45 minute wait for a robot taxi to arrive

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 6, 2016

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

And none of that means "it's typical and expected that a shower will break the watch". I get that you're paranoid about it and/or exclusively buy lovely knockoff watches whose only resistance mark is a sticker they printed out, but it's not a problem with your average Timex/Casio/etc cheap 30m watch.

Showering broke my 50m $300 watch bought straight from the manufacturer. The actual price of the watch is irrelevant. A $10,000 watch rated at 10 bar wouldn't have been better. Luckily it was under warranty, lied through my teeth about wearing it in a shower though.

BiohazrD posted:

This is a good post but wow is that dumb. Literally putting "100 feet" means ZERO WATER RESISTANCE PERIOD

Preaching to the choir. If you dig through the Watch thread in W&W you can find me losing my mind when it was explained to me.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Eifert Posting posted:

Showering broke my 50m $300 watch bought straight from the manufacturer. The actual price of the watch is irrelevant. A $10,000 watch rated at 10 bar wouldn't have been better. Luckily it was under warranty, lied through my teeth about wearing it in a shower though.

Sounds like you bought a lovely watch from a lovely company for way too much money bro. Meanwhile my various sub $50 but name-brand watches over the years, whether labeled 30m or not labeled water resistant at all, have been just fine in showering. Though one of them had the band get all weird and moldy so I had to get a replacement, but it still worked.

But let's go back to how you apparently deliberately got your Nexus 7 tablet wet as you mentioned before! Didn't you get warned about it? :smug:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Fishmech, this is unrelated to the current riveting watch discussion, but when was the last time you were wrong?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Are y'all arguing about watch standards holy poo poo

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

VanSandman posted:

Fishmech, this is unrelated to the current riveting watch discussion, but when was the last time you were wrong?

September 11, 2001.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

fishmech posted:

I mean, it's literally right there in the post you quoted.

I'm in a minority here but I think probably one in ten of your posts are actually informative and worth reading. Any chance you could just stop posting the other nine?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

Stop buying lovely knockoff watches and you'll stop having your watch break when you take a shower. Like seriously a 30m watch should not break just from having a little hot water around it, unless you insist on having some intentionally archaic design.

So you repeatedly get owned by misleading advertising, but you don't think it's bad? You just a masochist bro?

you need therapy to figure out why you are such a prick.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Being wrong is one thing but being wrong and being insufferable about it is the worst part of his lovely posting.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kilroy posted:

I mean, it's literally right there in the post you quoted.

I'm in a minority here but I think probably one in ten of your posts are actually informative and worth reading. Any chance you could just stop posting the other nine?

It isn't though. The actual case is that showering isn't an issue for the vast majority of watches. Because hot water isn't some magic thing that's really hard to seal against.

Cry harder.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Luna Was Here posted:

Wasn't the issue with Gawker is that they didn't honor a DMCA claim on the Hogan sex-tape and then they proceeded to write actual false stuff about Hogan? I don't see how Ailes has a case here but then again all I'm going off of is this article.

Not at all, the courts agreed the sex tape was newsworthy.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this might take a big bite out of the used car market but for many americans owning a car is mentally a token of independence and it will take at least a generation to loosen the idea of owning your own car. especially if you keep personal belongings in the car, have multiple children, etc.

I think it'll come much sooner than that. I know many people who are already completely dependent on Public Transit and Uber, and I've done the math and when my car breaks down it makes no sense to buy a used one to replace it as long as Uber can keep paying their drivers slave wages and p2p car rental sites like Turo are growing popular.

Granted this is in a city with good public transit and super high density. You've already started seeing the change in cities like NY and Chicago -- but it'll probably be a while before it penetrates cities like DFW.

Related, but the idea of people owning cars and driving to High School still blows my mind. I guess if you grew up in a city like Chicago or NY then car culture really isn't part of your cultural identity like it is in most cities.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 6, 2016

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Kilroy posted:

Negotiation or, more accurately, leverage are excellent points though - the goon in question just failed to realize that voting for minimum wage increases and joining a union are how working class people use their leverage.

Yeah of course, that was originally written in regards to the New York fast food workers successfully getting their minimum wage increased to 15$ an hour through political action.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Sounds like you bought a lovely watch from a lovely company for way too much money bro. Meanwhile my various sub $50 but name-brand watches over the years, whether labeled 30m or not labeled water resistant at all, have been just fine in showering. Though one of them had the band get all weird and moldy so I had to get a replacement, but it still worked.

But let's go back to how you apparently deliberately got your Nexus 7 tablet wet as you mentioned before! Didn't you get warned about it? :smug:

I didn't get my phone wet because I learned my lesson and research major purchases now.

You can keep your casio and I'll keep my watch
http://imgur.com/W9fU7yU
It's a repro (from the same company and using the same production equipment) of the watch the Chinese government produced as a political statement for their pilots in the late 50s. It's also the only column wheel chronograph movement you'll find under a grand. Somehow I've gotten past the fact that it can't get wet.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
hold on, y'all are missing an important point with watch talk.

Why the gently caress are you guys wearing watches in the shower in the first place?

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

This would then be false advertising, correct? What if Tesla came out with a 30M watch?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Eifert Posting posted:

I didn't get my phone wet because I learned my lesson and research major purchases now.

You can keep your casio and I'll keep my watch
http://imgur.com/W9fU7yU
It's a repro (from the same company and using the same production equipment) of the watch the Chinese government produced as a political statement for their pilots in the late 50s. It's also the only column wheel chronograph movement you'll find under a grand. Somehow I've gotten past the fact that it can't get wet.

So beforehand you thought it was a great idea to get your cell phone wet, boy you're a real genius! Remind again why you believe it's ok for Tesla to advertise autopilot when you thought it would be ok to get a phone wet?

Your watch looks like poo poo, and some random Chinese company's knockoff of an old watch design doesn't apply to watches normal people wear. I strongly doubt that when they made it back then they put any water resistance info on it at all.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Phyllis Schlafly is dead and good loving riddance

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chuu posted:

I think it'll come much sooner than that. I know many people who are already completely dependent on Public Transit and Uber, and I've done the math and when my car breaks down it makes almost no sense to buy a used one to replace it as long as Uber can keep paying their drivers slave wages.

Granted this is in a city with good public transit and super high density. You've already started seeing the change in cities like NY and Chicago -- but it'll probably be a while before it penetrates cities like DFW.

even in 2016 a majority of americans live in suburbs. cities are growing and reversing the population loss trend of 1950-1990 but suburbs are growing even faster, because we have car ownership baked into our urban development patterns as a necessity for a majority of americans

for example, i live in atlanta, which has 500k people who live in the city itself, maybe another .5-1m in the core urbanized area in cities other than atlanta, about 2m in the immediate suburbs, and about 2m in the distant suburbs. most people need cars betweenat roughly the same time to go to work, which is why rush hour happens. so if you manage a fleet of robot cars, your demand spikes during the am/pm commute and flatlines at night. is it economically feasible to keep so many cars available that everyone who summons one between 8-10am has a short enough wait to make it worth their while? because if not, you're going to lose business as people just buy their own cars so they don't have to wait at all. like there's just no way for autonomous fleet or taxi services to cope with american travel patterns in any way that's going to cause widespread change, considering that any change in urban development or travel patterns is going to be away from automobiles, because we're already so heavily invested in autos as the predominant transportation mode that we couldn't possibly increase that rate to any large degree (seriously it's like 85%)

as big as america's cities are, the majority of the population lives in suburbs - if everyone you know is an urban dweller, you're an outlier

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

poop device posted:

This would then be false advertising, correct? What if Tesla came out with a 30M watch?

No. They used to say waterproof to x meters, and if I remember right a major watchmaker was sued. It's misleading as hell but this sort of thing is nearly impossible to challenge in court, particularly if you're not another corporation with deep pockets. Any watch you buy will have documentation with those standards on it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

rscott posted:

Death's doing work this year for sure.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

rscott posted:

And Scalia is still dead! :toot:

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
That watch is gorgeous.

Also sorry about the automation thing, but as a previous poster said, fixating solely on cars ignores automation elsewhere. My own line of work is rapidly approaching the chopping block. We use to be butchers, now we're just meat cutters since most of the butchery is done in factory settings and soon enough everything will come in pre-pack and what would be the point of paying someone like me what I get paid if all I am doing is scaling something up and slapping a label on it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wait is someone wearing their watch in the shower? I'm confused.

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

No. They used to say waterproof to x meters, and if I remember right a major watchmaker was sued. It's misleading as hell but this sort of thing is nearly impossible to challenge in court, particularly if you're not another corporation with deep pockets. Any watch you buy will have documentation with those standards on it.

What if they didn't read the documentation? A lot of people's watches could get hurt. We'll probably never adopt waterproof watches as a standard, it's too difficult.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

fishmech posted:

It isn't though. The actual case is that showering isn't an issue for the vast majority of watches. Because hot water isn't some magic thing that's really hard to seal against.

Cry harder.

In this case, you are arguing against the definition set by the international standard.

Is that standard itself phrased deceptively? Sure. That doesn't change the fact that the definition states that a product classified in that way is vulnerable to water damage if worn in the shower.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sorus posted:

That watch is gorgeous.

Also sorry about the automation thing, but as a previous poster said, fixating solely on cars ignores automation elsewhere. My own line of work is rapidly approaching the chopping block. We use to be butchers, now we're just meat cutters since most of the butchery is done in factory settings and soon enough everything will come in pre-pack and what would be the point of paying someone like me what I get paid if all I am doing is scaling something up and slapping a label on it?

can robots do this?

http://www.ift.org/food-technology/daily-news/2016/august/30/meat-science-researcher-develops-new-steak-cut.aspx

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Develop new cuts? Probably not. But once it's taught what to do yeah, it totally could.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

That's kind of like asking whether robotic cars will be able to design a racetrack. No, of course not, but most butchers aren't doing research work either.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Everyone makes me the mistake of arguing with fishmech once

Its the ones who make the mistake twice who are perplexing

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^^^^^
Didn't notice his user name until after I'd already gotten invested in the argument.

I'm dropping the watch example because I've already won and you're debating like some weird 19 year old lovechild of Hannity and Cunningham.

fishmech posted:

So beforehand you thought it was a great idea to get your cell phone wet, boy you're a real genius! Remind again why you believe it's ok for Tesla to advertise autopilot when you thought it would be ok to get a phone wet?

Galaxy, not Nexus, I always mix those two up.

Here's the commercial:
https://youtu.be/l5aF23XpBwU
Here's what the phone will reliably work in:
http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s7-not-quite-waterproof-torture-tests-reveal/

Companies often use terms that have a different literal meaning than might be interpreted by a layman. Autopilot is one. The onus on the company is to provide documentation and clarify the meaning, not to avoid any posible misunderstanding by an ignorant consumer.

Hell, you used software agreements as an example earlier. How many consumers know they aren't actually buying a videogame when they pay for it? That misconception doesn't magically give them rights outside of their license agreement.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 6, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

If I understand D&D right, wouldn't this Fishmech person normally be one to fall back on something like an international standard to proclaim himself technically correct? By arguing himself into being against the technically correct definition he has certainly found his waterloo, which I assume was the shower that Napoleon slipped in and died and also had his watch ruined by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
I mean, while I'm at it, I really have to agree that using the term "autopilot" is going to get more people killed if it isn't changed. Especially with all the techie hype about self-driving cars and general technological optimism.

But they will die with all their food meticulously GMO labeled.

• Locked thread