Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Eifert Posting posted:

I didn't get my phone wet because I learned my lesson and research major purchases now.

You can keep your casio and I'll keep my watch
http://imgur.com/W9fU7yU
It's a repro (from the same company and using the same production equipment) of the watch the Chinese government produced as a political statement for their pilots in the late 50s. It's also the only column wheel chronograph movement you'll find under a grand. Somehow I've gotten past the fact that it can't get wet.

Seagull Chrono?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Eifert Posting posted:

^^^^^^
Didn't notice his user name until after I'd already gotten invested in the argument.

I'm dropping the watch example because I've already won and you're debating like some weird 19 year old lovechild of Hannity and Cunningham.
So, you now recognize that it's fishmech. You're dropping one argument because you realize that he's never going to shut up no matter how dumb and crazy he is. And then you've decided to immediately continue arguing more poo poo no one else cares about despite those first two things?

Dude. What the gently caress is wrong with you?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Hodgepodge posted:

I mean, while I'm at it, I really have to agree that using the term "autopilot" is going to get more people killed if it isn't changed. Especially with all the techie hype about self-driving cars and general technological optimism.

But they will die with all their food meticulously GMO labeled.

Out of 130 million miles so far it's gotten one person killed, which is better than normal humans do. And that one person knew the system pretty well given that he posted on YouTube about the limitations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NippleFloss posted:

Out of 130 million miles so far it's gotten one person killed, which is better than normal humans do.

Wow, we had 130 million miles of people watching Harry Potter?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
I have an awesome-looking self-winding mechanical watch, which I have now doubled checked to confirm that I can snorkel with it (resistant to 100 meters). I mean, I never wear the thing, but it's nice to know that I could go swimming with the thing if I really needed to.

NippleFloss posted:

Out of 130 million miles so far it's gotten one person killed, which is better than normal humans do. And that one person knew the system pretty well given that he posted on YouTube about the limitations.

Sure, but that's somewhere around 1/3rd of a mile per person in the United States, unless I'm misunderstanding the standard here?

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 6, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

I have an awesome-looking self-winding mechanical watch, which I have now doubled checked to confirm that I can snorkel with it (resistant to 100 meters). I mean, I never wear the thing, but it's nice to know that I could go swimming with the thing if I really needed to.

what kind of weird-rear end watch is also a snorkel?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

computer parts posted:

Wow, we had 130 million miles of people watching Harry Potter?

Probably even more than that, but most of those people probably weren't in cars with autonomous driving systems.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

fishmech posted:

It isn't though. The actual case is that showering isn't an issue for the vast majority of watches. Because hot water isn't some magic thing that's really hard to seal against.

Cry harder.
who loving cares

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NippleFloss posted:

Probably even more than that, but most of those people probably weren't in cars with autonomous driving systems.

Oh, how many of those were there?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/05/politics/philippines-president-rodrigo-duterte-barack-obama/index.html

Duterte's really feeling his oats.

ZoCrowes posted:

Seagull Chrono?

Yup. It really is LF: the watch. Love it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

computer parts posted:

Oh, how many of those were there?

Somewhere between all and none of them. Who cares?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Looks like CNN and MSNBC are starting to hit the poor surrogates about the Bondi stuff.

http://youtu.be/zRUgtsZyj40

But it's okay because he is a very important person.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 6, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

blue squares posted:

I bought it from a guy named "Bond" whose new model turns into a submarine :smuggo:

quote:

100 meters/ 328 feet/ 10 bar: are often called divers watches and can be used for snorkeling, swimming, and other water sports, but not high board diving or sub aqua diving.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Looks like CNN and MSNBC are starting to hit the poor surogates about the Bondi stuff.

http://youtu.be/zRUgtsZyj40

But it's okay because he is a very important person.

Still not as delicious as the fake pastor, but still fantastic

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NippleFloss posted:

Somewhere between all and none of them. Who cares?

Well, if your argument relies on it being safer than normal people, I would think you would.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

blue squares posted:

Sounds like the next big hit on Kickstarter, the SmartSnorkel!.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Since I was 6 or so. Its a watch.

Has died on me a number of times, did not end the world.

Stop showing me fishmech quotes. He is the only person to grace my ignore list for a reason.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
all of us have the power to Make This Thread Great Again. we just have to try. please.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can you imagine how much one of those Trump mouthpieces on MSNBC hates their job?

Satisfying.

Edit: Crosspost from TFF, Kaepernick jerseys are the 3rd highest selling at the moment.
http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/sp...-anthem-protest

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 6, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So are any notable polls expected to be coming out now that Labor Day is over?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

computer parts posted:

Well, if your argument relies on it being safer than normal people, I would think you would.

My statement about fatality rates per million miles has nothing to do with what the people running autopilot do with their cars while its engaged.

Are you campaigning for a fishmech in residence title?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

BlueBlazer posted:

Since I was 6 or so. Its a watch.

Has died on me a number of times, did not end the world.

Stop showing me fishmech quotes. He is the only person to grace my ignore list for a reason.

i just looked up the price of my watch on ebay and holy poo poo i need to trade this in for a better watch!
Thanks fishmech for making me realize my drunk uncle was drunk!(not removing you from my ignore list)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NippleFloss posted:

My statement about fatality rates per million miles has nothing to do with what the people running autopilot do with their cars while its engaged.

If people are primarily watching the road in case the autopilot fucks up, then yeah it is relevant.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
yo you got that G-SHOCK?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Eifert Posting posted:

Can you imagine how much one of those Trump mouthpieces on MSNBC hates their job?

Satisfying.

Edit: Crosspost from TFF, Kaepernick jerseys are the 3rd highest selling at the moment.
http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/sp...-anthem-protest

One of the local sports radio guys this morning lamented that they weren't being purchased just so people could burn them.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

All of them.

If you haven't seen or heard enough about polls before, prepare yourself for a deluge since post Labor Day is where it's at. And at least these ones have something approaching predictive value, not that it'll stop people from picking apart crosstabs or looking at unusual ones in an attempt to spin something out of nothing and ignoring what value they have.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I can't wait for the off brand knockoff quality auto-car upgrade kits to come out.

Then you get to have neighbors with some beat up old civic with comically oversized DALPHI-brand lidars strapped to the roof unable to make left turns across traffic and with a keen ability to honk its horn at every single cat within 10ft of the road.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Trabisnikof posted:

I can't wait for the off brand knockoff quality auto-car upgrade kits to come out.

Then you get to see some beat up old civic with comically oversized DALPHI-brand lidars strapped to the roof unable to make left turns across traffic and with a keen ability to honk its horn at every single cat within 10ft of the road.

Someone said 10 pages ago that in 2025 Car Talk will still be discussing someone's 1983 Corolla, and this is how it will happen.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

computer parts posted:

If people are primarily watching the road in case the autopilot fucks up, then yeah it is relevant.

Not at all. My statement is that cars under autopilot control have fewer fatalities per million miles driven than cars that are solely under human control. It's a simple statement of fact, you either dispute the fact or don't.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Then you get to have neighbors with some beat up old civic with comically oversized DALPHI-brand lidars strapped to the roof unable to make left turns across traffic and with a keen ability to honk its horn at every single cat within 10ft of the road.

personally i think the 2040 future will be a preponderance of self driving cars having to deal with a small hard core of luddites and gearheads who refuse to let a machine drive their car

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NippleFloss posted:

Not at all. My statement is that cars under autopilot control have fewer fatalities per million miles driven than cars that are solely under human control. It's a simple statement of fact, you either dispute the fact or don't.

Well, at least for now I'm disputing it because you haven't cited it.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

All of them? I keep hearing that polling doesn't actually matter until after Labor Day, so expect the newsmedia to go crazy over any and all polls.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

computer parts posted:

Well, at least for now I'm disputing it because you haven't cited it.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/06/autos/tesla-autopilot-accident/

Bottom of the article.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oh, so an unverified number from the manufacturer doing damage control after a major incident.

Yeah, that's reliable.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Popular Thug Drink posted:

personally i think the 2040 future will be a preponderance of self driving cars having to deal with a small hard core of luddites and gearheads who refuse to let a machine drive their car

There, for the grace of god, go I.

Next car will either be electric or another manual transmission. I want to be ecoconcious but stick is just so fun.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Looking at news of Duterte calling Obama a son of a whore and the US ambassador a gay son of a whore I am wondering why him and Trump haven't made out yet or if they have already and we just don't know it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

computer parts posted:

Oh, so an unverified number from the manufacturer doing damage control after a major incident.

Yeah, that's reliable.

Since literally no one else could provide that information your argument is basically that you will never believe it, so why not just say that instead of asking for a citation? Who else would have information on miles driven with autopilot engaged?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
A rather evil racist just died tonight, I wanted to see her reaction to HRC winning.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NippleFloss posted:

Since literally no one else could provide that information your argument is basically that you will never believe it, so why not just say that instead of asking for a citation?

You do know regular auto fatality numbers don't come from auto manufacturers right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

Looking at news of Duterte calling Obama a son of a whore and the US ambassador a gay son of a whore I am wondering why him and Trump haven't made out yet or if they have already and we just don't know it.

Yeah, between his wonderful anti-drug campaign inspired by The Purge and his inability to shut his god damned mouth, he's a wonderful view into what a Trump Presidency would've looked like.

• Locked thread