Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

A Bag of Milk posted:

Could someone please post how to search a particular thread for a keyword using google? I seem to have misplaced my reference..

The forums are currently closed to non-registered users, so it doesn't work right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

Anyone know what this poo poo is from?

Says Winchester on it. Kind of looks like a coat of arms.

Thanks for the info bros

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

fishmech posted:

The forums are currently closed to non-registered users, so it doesn't work right now.

Unfortunate, but given the financial state of the forums, pretty fair. Thanks for the info

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The A/V interface on my wife's 2010 Lexus is on a very nice 7"LCD screen. It looks like it was designed sometime between MS DOS 3.3 and Windows 3.1; sometime in the early 1990s. I am shopping for a Mercedes right now, model years 2012-2015, and the interface has not matured an iota.

My refrigerator had to have a firmware upgrade before I put food in it, the tiny LCD screen on the front of it is akin to operating the space shuttle.

Why does the $40 point-and-shoot camera my six-year-old daughter uses have a modern design aesthetic, the $2k fridge has a touchscreen is of the same era and works the same way, but basically any $50k car (or car of any value, for that matter) from any manufacturer look like it was designed by a high school student in 1989?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Combination of weight, expense, and user interface; a touchscreen is great when it's the center of your attention, but for driving it's a massive no-no. It's pretty important, while driving, to be able to operate the most common functions without focusing your eyes directly on the screen, for reasons I hope are obvious. Some cars (newer Fords with Sync, for example) have touchscreens, but with physical button controls as backup; they're slower, but they always do the same thing, so you can use them by feel and develop actual muscle memory.

There's also the fact that luxury cars by definition tend to cater to an older market, which means that at least in the mainstream models they tend to be a bit more conservative in terms of tech (sport models are another story). To wit: the last car sold with a cassette player built in was a Lexus SC430. In 2010.

Personally I'm a luddite who wants a manual gearshift, a/c and stereo in my car, and not much else; keep things simple, I've got my smartphone and two computers for the fancy stuff.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm using a 720p resolution screen. Do I get better experience from choosing a 1080p video over a 720p video?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What is it about the weekend/holidays that postpones automatic payments and/or drafts? For example my water bill automatically comes out on or around the 4th of every month, but this month it won't be coming out until the 6th because of the weekend and Labor Day.

Do they give the computers that handle automatic stuff weekends off? Or is it some type of regulation?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Money means banks are involved, and bankers are lazy dicks who'll take any excuse to not work (at least judging by their opening hours).

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

photomikey posted:

The A/V interface on my wife's 2010 Lexus is on a very nice 7"LCD screen. It looks like it was designed sometime between MS DOS 3.3 and Windows 3.1; sometime in the early 1990s. I am shopping for a Mercedes right now, model years 2012-2015, and the interface has not matured an iota.

My refrigerator had to have a firmware upgrade before I put food in it, the tiny LCD screen on the front of it is akin to operating the space shuttle.

Why does the $40 point-and-shoot camera my six-year-old daughter uses have a modern design aesthetic, the $2k fridge has a touchscreen is of the same era and works the same way, but basically any $50k car (or car of any value, for that matter) from any manufacturer look like it was designed by a high school student in 1989?

Anecdotal evidence here but...

I rented cars 2 weekends in a row recently. The first one was a Peugeot something (I'm in Switzerland) in the middle rental category. It had a nice touchscreen map/GPS thing that loaded and re-routed quickly, good bluetooth integration, and multiple language capability. The next week I got a Mercedes A class (the upgrade to the luxury category was cheap the second time) and the whole computer system was total poo poo: no touchscreen (there was a loving knob you had to rotate to select letters on a dial), slow as hell, poo poo interface and only German language.

My theory is that the good GPS is reserved for their higher-end models. A little bit like how first class on the train really isn't anything special, but second class just keeps getting worse and worse. So you can get a "Mercedes" but you won't get the real Mercedes experience until you shell out for the full package. I don't know if it's true, but (like you, I think) I felt like the computer was just deliberately terrible when I had been in a lower-end car that had a much nicer system just a week before. Both of the cars were still quite new.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I'm trying to remember a comedy bit

It was a story about how the comedian once pulled an all-nighter then ate a whole bunch of lovely Denny's or McDonald's or something and had severe chest pains and thought he was having a heart attack, except it just turned out to be constipation

Y'know, that, except with jokes and poo poo

Who did that bit? I remember he's white and a dude and American, that's about it. It's not Kyle Kinane.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

A Bag of Milk posted:

Unfortunate, but given the financial state of the forums, pretty fair. Thanks for the info

what is the current financial state of the forums?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
E: Whoops i blew it

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

what is the current financial state of the forums?

Bad. Our rear end in a top hat racist pedophiles have been stolen by Reddit and our effort-posting insane leftist fascists have been poached by Tumblr and SA doesn't have a huge media conglomerate behind it willing to burn money on ~community~. We get like no new regs and that's basically the only way the forums makes money beyond aggrogator adds. :smith:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

tuyop posted:

We get like no new regs

To be specific:

Osco seems to be the most recent, at user id 219097: http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=219097

First 2016 reg was number 216842, RODNEY THE RACEHOR: http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=216842

So that's about 3400 registrations per year, or about $34,000 in regs. That ain't gonna pay the bills.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

ulmont posted:

To be specific:

Osco seems to be the most recent, at user id 219097: http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=219097

First 2016 reg was number 216842, RODNEY THE RACEHOR: http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=216842

So that's about 3400 registrations per year, or about $34,000 in regs. That ain't gonna pay the bills.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They should add pop-up ads to FYAD

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Do I need the high-index lenses from Warby Parker if my rx is -.350 -3.75?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

tuyop posted:

Bad. Our rear end in a top hat racist pedophiles have been stolen by Reddit and our effort-posting insane leftist fascists have been poached by Tumblr and SA doesn't have a huge media conglomerate behind it willing to burn money on ~community~. We get like no new regs and that's basically the only way the forums makes money beyond aggrogator adds. :smith:

rear end in a top hat-racist-pedophiles and effort-posting-insane-leftists never made the forums much money in the first place.

it's completely-out-of-their-minds-conspiracy-theorists with no clear easily categorized agenda but with consistent access to someone else's credit card who have always been the big cash cows around here. Why put the effort into trying to get 100 individual relatively sane people to register when for much less effort you can let some nutcase reregister 100 accounts and make the same amount?

ulmont posted:

but how much is Lowtax paid to allow Aggro-gator to use this place for money laundering?

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 5, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Vegetable posted:

They should add pop-up ads to FYAD

Use a steam-wallet type system and charge 2 cents per post in FYAD

edit: maybe D&D would be more apt

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Charge per post in fyad and charge by word in D&D.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
charge per memes in gbs

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Do you weirdos have shares on the Nasdaq or something

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

quadrophrenic posted:

I'm trying to remember a comedy bit

It was a story about how the comedian once pulled an all-nighter then ate a whole bunch of lovely Denny's or McDonald's or something and had severe chest pains and thought he was having a heart attack, except it just turned out to be constipation

Y'know, that, except with jokes and poo poo

Who did that bit? I remember he's white and a dude and American, that's about it. It's not Kyle Kinane.

Sounds like a Louis CK bit. Or maybe Gaffigan?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Something bugging me, that I am having a bitch of a time Googling. There is a recipe/dish for a slow cooked beef? bones... It has 'Oste' in the name. Which makes it impossible to google.... I want to say it's French or Italian, and a well known dish, but somewhat out of favor because beef marrow and vCreutzfeldt–Jakob disease/Mad cow disease.

Help! (I just had slow cooked beef ribs for dinner, so this is forefront of my non-CJD brain)

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Arkhamina posted:

Something bugging me, that I am having a bitch of a time Googling. There is a recipe/dish for a slow cooked beef? bones... It has 'Oste' in the name. Which makes it impossible to google.... I want to say it's French or Italian, and a well known dish, but somewhat out of favor because beef marrow and vCreutzfeldt–Jakob disease/Mad cow disease.

Help! (I just had slow cooked beef ribs for dinner, so this is forefront of my non-CJD brain)

Osso buco?

The Wizzerman
Dec 31, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Ossobucco? It's usually braised sliced veal shanks, but you could use beef.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

TATPants posted:

Osso buco?

Yes! Osso, not Oste. Thanks :unsmith:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I'm going to make osso bucco tonight

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I have a tablet that won't charge any more. When you plug it in, it keeps connecting and disconnecting (tried several cables, different adaptors and computers) and never stays connected long enough to do any good. Is there anything I can try to fix it or is it likely just irrevocably broken?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I have a tablet that won't charge any more. When you plug it in, it keeps connecting and disconnecting (tried several cables, different adaptors and computers) and never stays connected long enough to do any good. Is there anything I can try to fix it or is it likely just irrevocably broken?

Nothing is irrevocably broken given enough money.

Your "tablet" sounds like it has a bad charging port. This can be easy or hard and the parts can be cheap or expensive. It could be worth fixing or not. No telling on this without knowing what it actually is and then your comfort level with doing some repairs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Motronic posted:

Your "tablet" sounds like it has a bad charging port. This can be easy or hard and the parts can be cheap or expensive. It could be worth fixing or not. No telling on this without knowing what it actually is and then your comfort level with doing some repairs.

It's a Pendopad PNDPP44QC7BLK if that means anything to you. I don't mind having a go at fixing it (since it already doesn't work, so there's no real risk), but my level of skill/expertise is essentially zero. If it's a matter of just plugging a new bit in in place of the old one, I can probably handle that. If it's more involved, probably not. And if it's likely to cost much then I'm probably better off just replacing the whole thing. :shrug:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've got a bit of an embarrassing problem and not sure where to post this, so I'll try here for now. A while back I moved out of my mom's whom I was staying with temporarily and to begin with I got a really cheap apartment until I could save money. These are fairly slummy apartments, and of course there are roaches here. For a long while, I didn't have too many issues. I made sure no food was laying out, etc and I didn't see too many. Fast forward a few months, the apartment next to me vacated and they brought in a pest control guy the other day and I think that drove the roaches from there into my apartment because I'm seeing like 4 -6x as many roaches as usual. I did some research, and spread around some boric acid, but just simply getting rid of roaches isn't my main issue here.

I just recently got a new desktop PC, and I really don't want the gross loving things shacking up inside it. For the uninformed, they are attracted to electronics because of heat or something. I did some googling, and found out a lot of people tape things like scouring pads, dryer sheets, etc to the vents to keep out dust and this works for roaches as well. I tried dryer sheets, but apparently they are really flammable, plus the smell gave me headaches. I picked up some generic dry swiffer sheets and duct taped them over all the holes/vents. It seems to be working well, but I'm still paranoid it might make me computer overheat. They've been on there for a couple days now, no issues and the computer hasn't felt more than just comfortably warm anywhere, including the power supply. Is this a bad idea to do? A roach getting in there and shorting out my power supply or something could straight up kill it, but if it overheats from lack of air flow, it should at least shut itself down right? So I figure that's the safest option.

e: also any programs I can download that are able to monitor the temp of the CPU or other things? I know a lot of the GPU overclocking programs are able to detect the temp of the GPU, but my GPU is down near the bottom where heat probably wouldn't build up anyway

E2: maybe a screen like that goes on screen doors would work better?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 6, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I've got a bit of an embarrassing problem and not sure where to post this, so I'll try here for now. A while back I moved out of my mom's whom I was staying with temporarily and to begin with I got a really cheap apartment until I could save money. These are fairly slummy apartments, and of course there are roaches here. For a long while, I didn't have too many issues. I made sure no food was laying out, etc and I didn't see too many. Fast forward a few months, the apartment next to me vacated and they brought in a pest control guy the other day and I think that drove the roaches from there into my apartment because I'm seeing like 4 -6x as many roaches as usual. I did some research, and spread around some boric acid, but just simply getting rid of roaches isn't my main issue here.

I just recently got a new desktop PC, and I really don't want the gross loving things shacking up inside it. For the uninformed, they are attracted to electronics because of heat or something. I did some googling, and found out a lot of people tape things like scouring pads, dryer sheets, etc to the vents to keep out dust and this works for roaches as well. I tried dryer sheets, but apparently they are really flammable, plus the smell gave me headaches. I picked up some generic dry swiffer sheets and duct taped them over all the holes/vents. It seems to be working well, but I'm still paranoid it might make me computer overheat. They've been on there for a couple days now, no issues and the computer hasn't felt more than just comfortably warm anywhere, including the power supply. Is this a bad idea to do? A roach getting in there and shorting out my power supply or something could straight up kill it, but if it overheats from lack of air flow, it should at least shut itself down right? So I figure that's the safest option.

e: also any programs I can download that are able to monitor the temp of the CPU or other things? I know a lot of the GPU overclocking programs are able to detect the temp of the GPU, but my GPU is down near the bottom where heat probably wouldn't build up anyway

For your last problem, CPU-Z HW Monitor will be able to tell you the temp, voltage and fan speed of every component in your machine that has sensors for them.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Motronic posted:

I don't know anyone with more tech gadgets than me, I have found myself in your shoes several times. I am always convinced that it is a bad charging port, I have always (so far) been wrong. It has always been a shoddy USB cable. Even when I've tried multiple, reversed directions, tried "known-good", etc. At least buy yourself a new USB cable (monoprice is good for cheapies) and try that one last time.

Your charging port is probably soldiered to the board, if it comes to that, you're probably screwed.
There is nothing, and I mean nothing you can do to keep them out of your PC, and borax is nearly worthless. Max Force Gel, a lot of it, in every crevice in your apartment.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Memento posted:

For your last problem, CPU-Z HW Monitor will be able to tell you the temp, voltage and fan speed of every component in your machine that has sensors for them.

Thanks, it seems to be working for my drives, cpu and gpu. What temps are acceptable? Right now it's saying CPU is at 30-35c average, with 44c being the absolute highest. Hard drive is similar.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

photomikey posted:

I don't know anyone with more tech gadgets than me, I have found myself in your shoes several times. I am always convinced that it is a bad charging port, I have always (so far) been wrong. It has always been a shoddy USB cable. Even when I've tried multiple, reversed directions, tried "known-good", etc. At least buy yourself a new USB cable (monoprice is good for cheapies) and try that one last time.

Your charging port is probably soldiered to the board, if it comes to that, you're probably screwed.

There is nothing, and I mean nothing you can do to keep them out of your PC, and borax is nearly worthless. Max Force Gel, a lot of it, in every crevice in your apartment.

Ugh, didn't see this at first. So am I hosed? I'm hoping I can at least control it good enough I don't see them all the time. And what about when I eventually leave? Am I going to have to throw a thousand dollars of electronics in the garbage? I already know the answer to my next question so I won't even ask it(no I can't sue or legally withhold rent from the slumlord for this)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Thanks, it seems to be working for my drives, cpu and gpu. What temps are acceptable? Right now it's saying CPU is at 30-35c average, with 44c being the absolute highest. Hard drive is similar.

Temperatures vary across components just like everything else. For example, my GTX 980 is currently sitting at 44, with min of 41 and max of 51, just idling. I fired up Witcher 3 with everything on max before including HairWorks and it topped out at 61. The website lists the max operating temp as 98 so it's a long way off any cause for concern. Check it when you're playing games or otherwise loading it up and compare it to the manufacturer's specs.

Good luck with your 'roaches, those guys are insidious. They can get through gaps of like 2mm. Maybe ask your landlord if they will do something about them because the other apartment caused them? I mean, probably they won't but it's worth a try.

As an aside, I googled "surface to stop cockroaches" thinking that there was maybe something you could put you PC on to stop them from walking across to it and the first result was a PETA page entitled "Be Kind to Cockroaches - The Humane Home". I think we can all agree that PETA are disappearing up their own arse at this point in time.

Memento fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 6, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Pest Control is supposed to be included with the rent, but it takes a while to get them to actually do anything. I had a water leak from the apartment above a few months ago, literally dripping into and filling up light fixtures and I had to turn off power to that part of the apartment for a whole week before they even came to fix it.

e: No point trying to put the PC on anything they can't climb, as there are so many wires coming out of it they'd just get on that somehow. That said, I really feel I have it sealed up pretty good so I guess we will see.

E: from the Peta page: "In an earlier study, researchers used computer simulations to show that, even with their tiny brains, insects have enough neural circuits to possess consciousness, and they may even be able to count" Does this mean they can feel pain? I hope they can feel pain very acutely and suffer anytime they crawl through poison I set out or smash them.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 6, 2016

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
An acquaintance of mine wants to get in to the photography business, and offered to take our engagement photos for free, since she is an amateur and trying to build a portfolio. I gave her some money, which felt cheap when I thought about it later. She gave me a USB thumb drive with about 50 edited pictures on it. She took almost 200 at the shoot. During a professional photography shoot, do they give you all the photos, or just the edited ones? Would it be really rude to ask for a few shots that we requested that weren't included on the USB?

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

E: from the Peta page: "In an earlier study, researchers used computer simulations to show that, even with their tiny brains, insects have enough neural circuits to possess consciousness, and they may even be able to count" Does this mean they can feel pain? I hope they can feel pain very acutely and suffer anytime they crawl through poison I set out or smash them.

Humans die in much worse ways than an insect being poisoned. Might not help you feel any better, but poison is generally a pretty quick way to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
what is it about roaches that is so gross anyway? I'm totally cool with things like spiders running around when I find them. Ants are a nuisance but not gross. Something about roaches is just incredibly disgusting. Maybe how they infest?