Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Zenephant posted:

I highly doubt this is actually the case and it is much more likely to be someone else but:

Mitarai is the mastermind, and there is no attacker- it really is Anime Brainwash Bullshit on the monitors, which he controls using his phone to make the victims kill themselves, with some resistance on their part. Mitarai's genuine regret at helping Junko and unquenchable desire to be THE person who makes everything better, despite being too weak and reserved to do so, has morphed into intense jealousy of Naegi himself, making the motivation both Hope and Despair in some hack writing way.

He wants to use this killing game as part of a new brainwashing anime, one that makes people see him as the world's hope, supplanting Naegi. His plan was to wait for Naegi to be killed during waking hours and then pin everything on someone- not expecting the game to go on anywhere near as long as it did. He is trying to make himself the protagonist of essentially a real life anime with Kirigiri as his heroine/love interest but it's not working because he is a dweeb.Tengan worked out what Mitarai was up to, and the blood message was an attempt to satisfy Mitarai and get him to call off the game by satisfying Mitarai's ego as head Hope dude.

His choice of victims are either to encourage people to kill Naegi or removing those who he knows will not do the deed (Gozu being very explicitly admant about not falling into despair, Seiko being too pure for this world).

As of this episode Kirigiri has her suspicions but can't really voice them- she's playing dead to see how Mitarai reacts to her 'death' as he created that NG code with the idea of Naegi dying well before then.
Obsessed with Kirigiri, He drops the usual poetic murder method and makes Ruruka mutilate herself as vengence for trying to kill Kirigiri and ruin his narrative.

Juzo did nothing wrong.

So how's that dweeb hanging bodies from the ceiling and embedding them in walls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

voltcatfish posted:

Also could I get a side story explaining whatever the gently caress Sonosuke saw in Ruruka, please?

Drugged candy.

lets hang out posted:

So how's that dweeb hanging bodies from the ceiling and embedding them in walls

Mechanical equipment.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Slur posted:

Drugged candy.

You could argue that in the last episode but pretty sure after this episode where he still tried to protect after not eating her candy for a while and telling her he lover her while dying because of her makes that a bit hard to believe.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Tired Moritz posted:

Juzo did nothing wrong. Like seriously.
Juzo is the reason Hinata submitted himself to the human experimentation program, so he's arguably the most wrong of the entire series.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I can't wait for Juzo to come back and punch Munakata in the face and then get double dead

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

lets hang out posted:

I can't wait for Juzo to come back and punch Munakata in the face and then get double dead

Nah he will totally let Munakata cut his bracelent hand and then punch him with the other. :colbert:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I don't even care who's dead or not, I don't care about anything that's happened in future side, except the bit where Komaeda reformed Junko's would-be successor by accident cause that was funny.

If Komaeda showed up to be the mastermind of this new game though, I don't think even that could save it. I'd just be disappointed in him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly, if Kirigiri really did fake her own death, I expect it to be revealed no later than next episode, otherwise the survivor count wouldn't fool people more than that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Tired Moritz posted:

Juzo did nothing wrong. Like seriously.

I think this guy would have different opinions on the matter.

Zenephant posted:

I highly doubt this is actually the case and it is much more likely to be someone else but:

I can buy all of this honestly.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 6, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

lotus circle posted:

Juzo is the reason Hinata submitted himself to the human experimentation program, so he's arguably the most wrong of the entire series.

Hinata is a dumbdumb who let some security dude influence his thoughts when his girlfriend is all "you're cool just as you are" :)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Someone had to be the first one dead. Poor guy, he was rigged since everyone's beating each other up.

I wonder if they really want me to care about Ruruka. Her flashback doesn't really do much other than show that Izayoi is a lot sadder of a human being than I thought, and to have a vaguely awkward make out scene.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Seeing her on her hands and knees crawling around in a desperate attempt to save herself was somewhat pitiable, but she's been overall too terrible for me to feel anything.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tired Moritz posted:

Someone had to be the first one dead. Poor guy, he was rigged since everyone's beating each other up.

Eh, it was really just Juzo and Kyosuke. Most of the rest of the deaths were when everyone was asleep, and I'm not sure activating an NG code counts as violence.

The odds were stacked against him, but if he had found a place to hide right off the bat he had a better shot of surviving long-term than Ruruka or Kirigiri.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can buy all of this honestly.

gently caress that guy. they were having a meeting about whether or not to execute someone and yet he kept babbling nonsense even though he knew it pissed people off.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I believe I have a pretty good idea about the mystery behind the Final Killing Game. Speculation seems to go spoiler tag-less, but if I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me!! (Also I've been writing this up for a couple of hours, so please pardon me if I make any awkward sentence structures - This took a LOT of research from me, and I'm notoriously awful with proofreading...)

Now, to make sure I'm accurate in my guesses, I had to rewatch older episodes to make sure I'm getting things right. I did learn some new insights, such as how Izayoi outright rejects eating any of Ruruka's candies, which is a nod to how his Forbidden Action is that he cannot have food in his mouth. And of course, within the same episode we see Izayoi and Ruruka's base of operations (Episode 3), the room that contains the secret exit; this a funny coincidence when you consider Ruruka's forbidden action.

Now, my idea is that, considering this episode's turn of events and where Despair currently is, Mitarai is a part of what makes this Killing Game work out. Initially, this game starts with Monaka being the mastermind, with her assuming the guise as Miaya. The reason I infer this is because it would be incredibly easy for a robot to drag all the Future Foundation members from above to underground, on top of how Monobear's whole hacking the FF's terminals is all a sham - Monaka always had control of the FF building's computers, and she was merely making a show of things for the FF leaders.
She can even take this a step further, with using Mitarai's animation skills to simply mind control her captors to walk underground, and have them doing the killing via the dozens of monitors within every room and hallway. Either way, I feel that she has a hand in killing at least Chisa, setting up the room so Chisa can fall elegantly down to the ground, to see how the other captors react to this.

Now by the end of Episode 2, there appears to be a closed room mystery - Naegi, Asahina, Miaya, and Gozu all slept within the same room. When they woke up, Gozu is dead. Naegi appears to be the detective of this story, so he cannot die. IF Monaka is telling the truth, she merely played a prank on Asahina. This leaves Asahina or Gozu to kill, well, Gozu. Considering Gozu's character, and how in episode 3, Munakata remarks if he woke up, he'd kill himself... What if Gozu actually committed suicide, over the idea of Asahina waking up to kill someone?
This sounds legit to me, since Asahina seems to wake up without any knowledge of her hands being bloodied. On top of that, if she DID hang up Gozu the way she would, would she not feel any aches from this? I could be reading too much into that, and it could very well be that Asahina did the killing, but from the information I have so far, I'd like to think that Munakata inadvertently figured out the closed room mystery without being in the room - Gozu woke up, saw that he _had_ to kill someone, and decided to off himself, rather than hurting the shining beacons of hope he comes to know.
This is also assuming this is a closed room mystery in the first place - The anime seems very vague to mention whether or not the room had a forced entry, so I'm leaning towards this being a closed room mystery.

I would also like to add that, unless I'm overlooking a scene, that Mitarai's Forbidden Action could be for him to let go of his phone. In scenes where he's stressed out, the camera pans to him clutching his phone, which is probably hint enough that his phone is at least tied to him in some manner.

In terms of things I haven't quite figured out yet, is that with my theory, I'm not entirely sure who killed Seiko. If the monitors _are_ the method used to kill people, then either Seiko committed suicide, or someone else, via brainwashing, had to do her in.

The second thing would be that I'm not sure what Tengan said to Munakata back in episode 6, about who is the attacker. Presumably it's a name, especially when Tengan says 2 sounds, a pause, then 3 sounds... The names that would fit that bill are:
Naegi Makoto. Except this wouldn't surprise Munakata, as he already suspects Naegi. On top of that, Tengan seems to believe in Naegi, so.
Bandai Daisaku. He died early on due to being poisoned, and we know very little about him... I wouldn't buy him being the attacker, due to the lack of information on his character.
Ando Ruruka. This seems the most likely name to me, considering Ruruka's behavior all throughout the anime series - Ruruka is _very_ insistent on Izayoi trusting her, and would explain why the 2nd thing she wants from Seiko (Besides eating her sweets) is offing Munakata. If Munakata is dead, then Ruruka, as the Remnant of Despair, gets to go home scot-free. HOWEVER, the reason why Tengan names her the attacker may very will be because of her Forbidden Action, that she can't make anyone leave the facility. On top of that, she seemed ignorant of the fact that the supposed secret exit... Isn't an exit at all.

The last thing I want to bring up is that it is rather suspicious that Munakata never brought up that the FF cast were NOT within the same location they started in. Why would he withhold critical information such as this? This also explains why Kyoko was initially suspicious about Tengan - She may have figured out very, very early on that their bodies have been moved away, and Tengan made no note of this.
What I believe is the deal, is that Munakata already suspected one of the FF members being the mastermind, and since Chisa's death, he declares that every single one of them aside from himself, is working for despair. Considering his sense of character, if _any one person_ could be connected to despair, they should die. Since he knows he fights for hope, he doesn't need to off himself, but what of the others? He can't trust them, so they must die. He even makes sure that Chisa is dead by stabbing her corpse, as an assurance she isn't a sleeping corpse.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

alcharagia posted:

actually yeah that was a bit much my b

You are literally as bad as some of the LP thread people

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've missed like two weeks of episodes, what has even happened aside from stupid poo poo

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Baal posted:

I've missed like two weeks of episodes, what has even happened aside from stupid poo poo

A lot of people taking naps.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
despair is good, future is bad

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Slur posted:

A lot of people taking naps.

I just watched future episode 7 and I sure as gently caress wanted to fall asleep during that

Serious Frolicking posted:

despair is good, future is bad

Good is relative for me because I've liked two despot episodes and got sick of the rest of them. Let's see if episode 7 does me any favors on that front.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I also just now realized I missed the most obvious name that Tengan could have mentioned - Towa Monaka :v:

Maybe I'm not a good detective after all.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

The thing is, when Tengan told Munakata whose identity he thought the attacker's was, Munakata was initially shocked by it. Not just surprised - he really looked horrified. And then later on he went on to say "Did you think that would suffice to make me waver?" with the implication there being that even this would not be enough to change his mind. Again, that very strongly implies that the identity of whoever Tengan said it was would really rock Munakata's world. So, personally I think that if the name was that of someone like Ruruka or Monaka or Bandai, that really wouldn't be enough to explain Munakata's reaction. If it was Yukizome's name that Tengan gave, on the other hand, it makes sense, especially given that after that Munakata went back to stab Yukizome's corpse.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 6, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Episode 7 of Despair sucked, I did get a good chuckle out of Mukuro's dedication to the singing and the Nagito rear end though

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Van Dine posted:

The thing is, when Tengan told Munakata whose identity he thought the attacker's was, Munakata was initially shocked by it. Not just surprised - he really looked horrified. And then later on he went on to say "Did you think that would suffice to make me waver?" with the implication there being that even this would not be enough to change his mind. Again, that very strongly implies that the identity of whoever Tengan said it was would really rock Munakata's world. So, personally I think that if the name was that of someone like Ruruka or Monaka or Bandai, that really wouldn't be enough to explain Munakata's reaction. If it was Yukizome's name that Tengan gave, on the other hand, it makes sense, especially given that after that Munakata went back to stab Yukizome's corpse.

That would give leniency as to the theory that Mitarai's animation skills are a part of this plan - Chisa actually KNOWS Mitarai's talent, as he was a part of the class she was the teacher of. So she could manipulate him into helping her with this Final Killing Game.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Are we allowed to post spoilers yet? The episode's up for a while now.

Bad Seafood posted:

On Discussing Spoilers
We live in an era where new chapters and/or episodes are announced and released with a certain set-your-watch-by-it regularity, with simulcasts and fan translations soon to follow. Once a new release has been announced and/or linked to in its corresponding thread, discussion of its contents is free game and should not require spoiler tags.

Post spoilers with wild abandon, friend.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Baal posted:

Episode 7 of Despair sucked, I did get a good chuckle out of Mukuro's dedication to the singing and the Nagito rear end though

I don't like this opinion.

I have a feeling that Juzo is still alive. Mainly because he seems like he's still important in Despair.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please do not criticize my opinions when you insinuated renowned shitlord Sakakura was not wrong in anything he did despite evidence to the contrary.

Episode 8 of Future sucked too, why is Ruruka becoming villainous when they legitimately tried to portray her as sympathetic at one point? Did they see the reception of Sakakura was massively negative and thought they needed a new hate magnet so he wouldn't be hated as much?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Baal posted:

Episode 8 of Future sucked too, why is Ruruka becoming villainous when they legitimately tried to portray her as sympathetic at one point? Did they see the reception of Sakakura was massively negative and thought they needed a new hate magnet so he wouldn't be hated as much?

Wasn't Ruruka right behind the "kill Naegi" plan even before Monokuma happened? She was villainous from square one and an episode explaining why she's a psychopathic brokebrain doesn't mean she's suddenly not competing with Sakakura for the worst person survivor spot

spoilers neither of them got that spot

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kimura was also part of the Makoto murder squad, that poo poo meant nothing especially since she wouldn't get more than one in an episode until like two episodes later where both she and Kimura bitch at each other for five minutes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mind you Munakata is probably the worst character as I have no idea where this character was ever supposed to go and he's just on a murder spree now, so yeah.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Baal posted:

Mind you Munakata is probably the worst character as I have no idea where this character was ever supposed to go and he's just on a murder spree now, so yeah.

Chisa just wanted her boyfriend and this cute optimistic boy named Naegi to get along. She underestimated how Munakata has a huge stick up his rear end and thinks he's right about everything, and anything that even hesitates for a second has to be Despair, and his actions are always justified because he's doing it to eliminate Despair.

Chisa really should've hung out with people who aren't completely terrible.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's funny you say that because odds are she's actually a despair

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
secretly everyone is bad except the people you're used to.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Juzo is a hero and he's going to save the day

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I love Juzo, he's just a really good friend. Not his fault Munakata is terrible.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Episode 8 of Despair was good aside from Mikan's sex frenzy nonsense. Nagito pulled a gun and I had a good time.

Also I thought Nagito didn't meet Izuru until they were both in the boat.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Baal posted:

Also I thought Nagito didn't meet Izuru until they were both in the boat.

Nagito has frontotemporal dementia. It's possible that it and the shock of being shot would have maybe scrambled his memory a bit.

Slur fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 6, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

a cartoon duck posted:

Wasn't Ruruka right behind the "kill Naegi" plan even before Monokuma happened? She was villainous from square one and an episode explaining why she's a psychopathic brokebrain doesn't mean she's suddenly not competing with Sakakura for the worst person survivor spot

spoilers neither of them got that spot

Pretty sure all members of the Munataka Faction (Munataka, Sakakura, Kimura, Ruruka, Izayoi, Chisa) were pro-kill Naegi. There's like, a questionnaire or whatever on the site that lists a buncha questions and the characters' answers to them.

You can divide them into the Extremists (Munataka Faction) and the non-Extremists (everyone else).

The dividing question being whether Despair should be wiped out no matter what.

But even then there are differing opinions in the factions. Kimura and Chisa aren't for violence being the best answer (Sakakura or Izayoi) or doing whatever it takes to achieve your goal (Munataka and Ruruka). In Kimura's case, she's probably less actually Extremist and more siding with the Extremists out of her debt to Munataka, since she shows a willingness to try and help Aoi, even when Munataka's trying to kill Naegi and everyone helping him. Chisa and Sakakura supporting Munataka is pretty obvious since they've been together all this time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
everyone there was accustomed to going along with munakata's bullshit. if they weren't, then he would have already killed them for disagreeing with him.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
student council members have a habit of murdering everyone around them, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tired Moritz posted:

student council members have a habit of murdering everyone around them, eh?

Well, at least the Student Council President in Despair never killed anyone? I think?

• Locked thread