Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I have the Pac-12 network as part of the same package that I need to get NBA TV, which was pretty bad value before it came along. Actually between the Pac-12 network and the Mountain West network of all things usually means two decent games every weekend which justifies keeping the package between the NBA draft and preseason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I get the Pac-12 network in Chicago when I order up the Redzone channel. I also for some reason get the SEC network as part of my regular cable package.

Looking through the subscriber fees for all these sports networks and I realize how garbage the cable TV system is.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

No one gives two shits about Skippy & The Marblemouth.

It will only work if they drive around in a Gran Torino and solve crimes.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

In some ways I think it would be better for a lot of the "TOP 100 RECRUITS" to be in some sort of minor league farm system that would be akin to the NHL rather than forcing them to go to school.

My fear is it could potentially make college football worse from a talent standpoint, but it could cut down on a lot of the corruption that is seen across the board when it comes to college athletics.

e: I think Student-Athlete would actually mean something if that were a thing.

The problem is that this wouldn't really solve the issue. The problem isn't that that top rated defensive end from Alabama isn't going to class because he knows he is getting drafted.

The problem is that they way incentives work, even the back up at a no name FCS school is getting the same treatment. A junior college in the middle of nowhere, or a division I-AA school with no shot at anything better than a .500 record may not be investing a lot in athletics, but the coaches, assistant coaches, athletic directors and so on are all trying to move up in the system. And the way to move up most of the time is through wins and recruiting, not things like graduation rates, GPA, post-graduation employment, etc. So the kid at no-name state is getting a similar treatment in terms of being able to get away with everything he wants and being told to screw academics and focus on playing, because he could be the next Jerry Rice or London Fletcher.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/OldTakesExposed/status/750854812271415296

:allears:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think Brent Musburger is fully into his "Don Criqui" slide. This means that he's a guy that has done great work, has called some amazing games, but is clearly past his prime. Dick Stockton is also in this group, along with the aforementioned Criqui, and a few others.

This isn't something that happens to every sports announcer as oddly enough, Al Michaels, Marv Albert and the GOAT Vin Scully can still call a helluva game.

I've noticed this ever since that time he was creeping on Jenn Sterger that he's just gotten a bit worse and away from what has made him great.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think Brent Musburger is fully into his "Don Criqui" slide. This means that he's a guy that has done great work, has called some amazing games, but is clearly past his prime. Dick Stockton is also in this group, along with the aforementioned Criqui, and a few others.

This isn't something that happens to every sports announcer as oddly enough, Al Michaels, Marv Albert and the GOAT Vin Scully can still call a helluva game.

I've noticed this ever since that time he was creeping on Jenn Sterger that he's just gotten a bit worse and away from what has made him great.

Musberger should have retired after "This one's for all the Tostitos." There was nowhere to go but down.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/MariottiSports/status/773014963010965504

https://twitter.com/notthefakeSVP/status/773045715853598720

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Musburger has given even less fucks ever since he got demoted to calling C-list games on SEC Network. It's sort of amazing how little fucks he gives these days.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Jay has been in rare form recently. Getting very desperate for attention.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It's wild purely from the standpoint that sports journalism is filled with shitheads and morons and yet everyone hates Jay Mariotti. He truly is the worst.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Musberger should have retired after "This one's for all the Tostitos." There was nowhere to go but down.

I'm trying to remember the last great game I can recall him calling. 2004-2005ish?

Back when it was him on ABC Sports with Vermeil, Fouts or Danielson? The broadcasts came across as a bit more professional and less of him trying to make dumb jokes/leer at women. I think it was a combo of no longer having Gary Danielson and ABC Sports being killed off in favor of ESPN's brand of bullshit that caused him to go on the Criqui silde.

The 06 pairings with him and Herbie were not as good.

I'm really hoping that KO and Patrick both light his rear end up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

Actually, Marv Albert has fallen off hard. He constantly mixes up players and misunderstands what's happening.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There's been a deal reached to get Vin Scully's last 6 regular season broadcasts on KTLA. :unsmith:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

This shouldn't be surprising, imo

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/773183983677038592

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/773185775685013504

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does anyone even watch the Fox broadcasts for Aikman?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Does anyone even watch the Fox broadcasts for Aikman?

No, but for better or worse his words are going to carry some weight when he's on their #1 broadcast team.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Figured it would be something personal...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thank gently caress

Awful Announcing posted:

All totaled, FanDuel ad spending was down a whopping 96.5% from 2015 to 2016. And although 400k is nothing to sneeze at, DraftKings’ ad spending was down 70.8% from last year to this year. Combined, the two companies spent almost $1.5 million less in advertising.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I just remember going to the Browns home opener last season and seeing banners flying over the stadium advertising that poo poo.

I couldn't believe the amount of ads that we're getting shown on tv for it.

sam bradford lmao posted:

Figured it would be something personal...

He wrote a column and called Troy Aikman gay back in the day.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He attempted to sell an entire book by pushing an unfounded rumor that Aikman was gay and playing on the notion that it was the most shameful thing you could ever accuse someone of being. Skip Bayless has always been pretty gross.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I wonder if Mr. and Mrs. Bayless look at Skip and Rick and wonder where they went wrong.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Minto Took posted:

I wonder if Mr. and Mrs. Bayless look at Skip and Rick and wonder where they went wrong.

Wasn't skip's father abusive or alcoholic or something? I recall hearing some stories that said he had a pretty brutal childhood.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

quote:

Both of his parents, he says, were alcoholics, and his father was particularly rough with him. “My father was just an evil man,” he says…

Bayless’s father died of cirrhosis of the liver while he was away at Vanderbilt on a sportswriting scholarship in the 1970s. He returned to Oklahoma for the funeral but refused to help carry the casket. In the 1990s, Bayless legally changed his name to Skip, cutting off a final tie with his father.
http://www.sportsgrid.com/as-seen-on-tv/media/six-things-from-washington-posts-profile-of-skip-bayless/

A lot of things make sense now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeeeeeeeeep that was it :smith:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
dang

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The "Pony Excess" documentary is worth a watch to see how the real Skip Bayless actually is.

Which is shockingly a very knowledgeable sports writer who covered the SMU scandal very well. But I guess honest journalism doesn't pay the bills, so he became who he became.

e: "Pony Excess" is worth a watch period btw. It's loving fascinating and well done.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Pony Excess is really underrated.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

Yeah Pony Excess is really underrated.
There are so many moments in that movie that make you react with, "Wait...he/they actually did that???"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

There are so many moments in that movie that make you react with, "Wait...he/they actually did that???"

Yeah I'm continually amazed at how brazen the whole thing was.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

I think my favorite moment was the revelation was that Texas A&M was thinking about turning Eric Dickerson in to the NCAA because they were angry that he didn't sign with them after the Athletic Department gave him a Gold-colored Trans Am no strings attached.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The problem with the SMU scandal though is that after Penn State, Baylor, Tennessee, FSU, etc., I just don't give a poo poo about guys getting paid money under the table

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

The problem with the SMU scandal though is that after Penn State, Baylor, Tennessee, FSU, etc., I just don't give a poo poo about guys getting paid money under the table
What so amazing was how they were getting paid under the table. The school literally kept a payroll ledger...after the second time they'd been put on probation for paying players under the table :laffo:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

The whole thing is basically Texas.mov

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Here's what Bayless actually wrote about Aikman:
https://theringer.com/what-skip-bayless-really-wrote-about-troy-aikman-8aade8f5a612#.ostj24rfc

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Baylee isn't dumb, he knew that even insinuating it off hand was going to be a huge deal.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Part of me wonders if FS1/Fox's goal isn't so much to become a rival to ESPN, but to get them into a bidding war over various properties and bankrupt them. I know that sounds hilariously dumb, but that's about the only way I can explain some of their moves recently.

I have a legit question to pose here about the NFL schedule. Would there ever be a way of making the 4:15 games less terrible? I ask because it seems to be some bizarre deadzone of crap generally. The 1 PM games are kinda fascinating from a perspective of crazy poo poo happening during them (as per my experience with RedZone), but the 4:15 games generally always seem to be:

-The 49ers
-The Broncos
-The Cowboys v. -insert NFC East team here-
-The Patriots.

It seems more likely than not that blowouts generally occur then. There's got to be some spread 14-16 games per week out over the 5 time slots available, right?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
If they were willing to give teams in the Eastern time zone 4:15 local starts, absolutely. As it stands, that's a big fat nope.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

If they were willing to give teams in the Eastern time zone 4:15 local starts, absolutely. As it stands, that's a big fat nope.

They do this sometimes. But they do it to highlight a game and the networks don't want a bunch of other games going on at the same time. Also I think there's some tradition thing going on here, like owners aren't in favor of too many games that aren't at noon for whatever dumb reason.

It'll matter less now with the Rams moving to LA, but there should absolutely be a rule that all divisional games in the A/NFC West start at 4:15.

e: Noon central, duh. 1 Eastern.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Minto Took posted:

Skip and Rick
Huh learned something new today