Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

I want an extra bowl for my KitchenAid Pro 5. I was looking to get a glass one but I cannot for the life of me find one other than a model that comes with the dang thing which I didn't get obviously. I can't see where to get that separately, anyone else have any luck? Or any other recommendations?

Edit: Well poo poo of course I find this right after I post. https://amzn.com/B00QUVGMUK
God drat that's a bunch of loving money for a flippin mixing bowl though. Anything else?

This perhaps?

e: oh wait you wanted glass, hold on

it looks like the reason it's sold as a kit is because of the shape of the glass bowl - the standard accessories could chip the glass, apparently? anyway if you want a glass bowl you're kind of stuck but you could search other sites for a better bargoon

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

On the subject of kitchen knives, there's a special place in my heart counter for Emperor Steel Knives. Are you tired of fussy bullshit superlight knives that cry at the thought of butternut? Did you ever bang your beater knife against the trashcan and wish it left a dent? Are you not quite ready to just bite the bullet and bring a goddamned machete into the kitchen? To hell with Victorinox, buy one of these heavy bastards for half as much and watch it last until the heat death of the universe. Everybody got a set of these at their wedding in the 60's, so they're cheap and everywhere, and they hold an edge so well I'm pretty sure I could chop wood with it. I don't know what kind of steel it uses or why they chose that godawful handle design, all I know is that I've taken the chef's knife directly from pounding rib racks into individual ribs to easily slicing tomatoes, and the slicer resembles a small sword in person. For my own set, I did wind up grinding down the old school finger guard into yet more blade to keep things even, and I wrapped the handles in tennis grip tape until I can finally be assed to make new handles.

Get a set for the price of a cheapo Victorinox chef's knife, and be a Kitchen Lumberjack.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So it probably won't be priced any lower than it is now. That's good to know.

Today's a pretty good deal by the way. https://amzn.com/B00PZU3AEI

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Croatoan posted:

Today's a pretty good deal by the way. https://amzn.com/B00PZU3AEI

If only this was the 600 Series in Cobalt Blue, I'd buy the gently caress out of it in a heartbeat.

Also I just checked and the Majestic Yellow 600 Series jumped up in price from $339 to $357. Kinda puts a wet blanket on my hope to buy one for my dad for his birthday. :ohdear:

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have a good drawer storage solution for knives? At my old place I had a magnetic wall thing to hang them on but I don't have a good place to put one of those in my new kitchen.

dalstrs posted:

I tried, couldn't find it. I think I am going to try a wide mouth mason jar and see if it works, if not I will try that Cuisinart cup.

The pint size wide mouth mason jar worked pretty well it seems. Handy because I can just put the lid straight on it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
We bought some bamboo horizontal knife holder for our drawer. I think we just measured and found it on amazon. It was named something weird like a "knife caddy" maybe?

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

dalstrs posted:

Anyone have a good drawer storage solution for knives? At my old place I had a magnetic wall thing to hang them on but I don't have a good place to put one of those in my new kitchen.

The pint size wide mouth mason jar worked pretty well it seems. Handy because I can just put the lid straight on it.

These are nice, as long as you don't spin it too fast. I happen to like these a lot more, but it involves poking more holes you'll have to patch eventually. I think this is what you're talking about, though.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

My girlfriend loves to make ice cream and currently owns an inexpensive Cuisinart with the pre-freeze churning bowl. I would like to buy her one of the compressor type of ice cream makers for her birthday so she doesn't have to worry about turning down the freezer and pre-chilling the churning bowl the night before.

I've read some good things about the Breville BCI600XL and the Whynter ICM-200LS. $400 is about my upper limit to spend, so those high-end $700+ Italian ice cream makers are out. Anyone have experience with these sorts of ice cream makers?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

My girlfriend loves to make ice cream and currently owns an inexpensive Cuisinart with the pre-freeze churning bowl. I would like to buy her one of the compressor type of ice cream makers for her birthday so she doesn't have to worry about turning down the freezer and pre-chilling the churning bowl the night before.

I've read some good things about the Breville BCI600XL and the Whynter ICM-200LS. $400 is about my upper limit to spend, so those high-end $700+ Italian ice cream makers are out. Anyone have experience with these sorts of ice cream makers?

I have the Cuisinart ICE-100, and it does just great. Huge improvement over the freezer-bucket types. I'm also going to take the opportunity to recommend the Tovolo tubs, as they're absolutely critical unless you're going to eat all the ice cream in one go.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I have the Whynter ICM-15LS and it's excellent, but I have read that the Breville makes good ice cream also. According to The Sweet Home it's better but not $150 better. Check out the list of features and decide for yourself.

Also about the ICM-200LS they say:

quote:

A sales representative told us that the machines have the same motor and compressor; the only difference is the ICM-200LS makes 2 quarts of ice cream as opposed to 1.5 quarts. We didn’t think an extra pint of ice cream was worth the extra $140, so we opted not to test.

deimos fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 6, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Most recipes are written for the 1-1.5 quart range anyways

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have the older Whynter that that one replaces and it owns bones. Go directly from cooked custard base to churn & chill. And repeat all day long!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a benchtop meat grinder? I hate my KitchenAid so would prefer a hand-crank and can easily make 15-20lbs of sausage at a time. I found this Weston one but the reviews have me concerned about durability.

Bonus points if there's a sausage stuffer recommendation as well.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

Can anyone recommend a benchtop meat grinder? I hate my KitchenAid so would prefer a hand-crank and can easily make 15-20lbs of sausage at a time. I found this Weston one but the reviews have me concerned about durability.

Bonus points if there's a sausage stuffer recommendation as well.

Wait, is the one you have the KitchenAid one that goes on a mixer? Because you can get a similar one made out of stainless steel that works a lot better.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

deimos posted:

I have the Whynter ICM-15LS and it's excellent, but I have read that the Breville makes good ice cream also. According to The Sweet Home it's better but not $150 better. Check out the list of features and decide for yourself.

Also about the ICM-200LS they say:

Excellent. Thank you.

I read a few good reviews of the Whynter Ice Cream makers, but Cooks Illustrated gave the ICM-200LS a pretty scathing review and claimed that a previously well-reviewed version by the same manufacturer had been discontinued. That's the only thing giving me pause about buying the Whynter ICM-15LS right now.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Canuck-Errant posted:

Wait, is the one you have the KitchenAid one that goes on a mixer? Because you can get a similar one made out of stainless steel that works a lot better.

I just meant I don't like using my mixer in general. I'd like to have a hand-cranked meat grinder and hand-powered stuffer.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Looks like it's no longer available, but this is the compressor ice cream machine I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-GM6000-Gelato-Self-Refrigerating-Compressor/dp/B002RT91FM/

It was relatively cheap at $250. Makes great ice cream, and very quickly, too. The only downside is that the bowl is small, so most recipes for custard base have to be frozen in two batches.

That said, it will crank out batch after batch, all day long.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Before buying online I would check you local cooking stores, every time I go in a Sur La Table or Williams Sonoma they seem to have compressor Ice Cream makers on clearance. I think they tend to stock them seasonally for summer and clear them out in the fall.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Looks like it's no longer available, but this is the compressor ice cream machine I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-GM6000-Gelato-Self-Refrigerating-Compressor/dp/B002RT91FM/

It was relatively cheap at $250. Makes great ice cream, and very quickly, too. The only downside is that the bowl is small, so most recipes for custard base have to be frozen in two batches.

That said, it will crank out batch after batch, all day long.

I got that on woot for $160, works pretty well

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm looking for a dual or triple probe thermometer for my grill/smoker. Desiderata are wireless monitor with good range and high temperature tolerance (500F+).

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
About a month ago I stripped my cast iron skillet with a self cleaning oven and did two runs of seasoning. I was going to do more runs, but needed to use it and read somewhere that by heating it up after cleaning and rubbing some fat on it, along with continuous use, it would build on the seasoning. It seemed to be working great.

However, today after cleaning it and putting it on the stove on high, my kid called me and I forgot about the skillet for about 15-20 minutes. After clearing some of the smoke I noticed the cast iron had gone grayish. Did I accidentally strip the seasoning? I added some crisco hoping to save it, but I wonder if I have to strip the seasoning with the oven and re-season? Could I skip the stripping and go straight to seasoning it?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've done that multiple times and it eventually works itself out. No rust I assume.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Seems like rust only appeared underneath the skillet (outside).

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

rgocs posted:

Seems like rust only appeared underneath the skillet (outside).

if it's underneath the seasoning, it means there's a gap in the seasoning somewhere and the oxidation will migrate over the pan slowly

the greyish color is probably smoke particles hanging out in the seasoning also

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 8, 2016

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Mr. Wookums posted:

I've done that multiple times and it eventually works itself out. No rust I assume.

Same here. It was fine, no problems with sticking at all. This was with a very well seasoned pan though not one that had just been stripped. The discoloration was interesting but it has faded after a few uses.

I did the same thing with a stainless steel 3 qt pot though. One of those multiple layer ones to make them heat more evenly and retain heat better. Uh, yeah, the bottom layer fell off when I lifted it off the burner to move it off the heat and spewed molten aluminum? lead? Something all over the place. Whoops.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Murgos posted:

Same here. It was fine, no problems with sticking at all. This was with a very well seasoned pan though not one that had just been stripped. The discoloration was interesting but it has faded after a few uses.

I did the same thing with a stainless steel 3 qt pot though. One of those multiple layer ones to make them heat more evenly and retain heat better. Uh, yeah, the bottom layer fell off when I lifted it off the burner to move it off the heat and spewed molten aluminum? lead? Something all over the place. Whoops.

I've done that. I had really thick aluminum foil to peel off when it was done cooling.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone have a good recommendation for mortar and pestle?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I have both a granite and metal one and the granite one is far better for almost all applications. It's something like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Stone-Granite-Mortar-Pestle-capacity/dp/B000163N6G

It's got good abrasiveness but is pretty smooth and relatively easy to clean. I use it mostly for dry stuff (nuts, spices) and rarely for garlic.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Granite is way better, but it will wear out faster then metal.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
I just got one from here a few weeks ago, since it was cheaper after shipping than the amazon link posted before and seems likely to be from the same source (made in Thailand, granite, same shape and overall look).

I've only used it a handful of times so far, but it's done everything I've hoped it would. Grinds spices very well, made some fantastic pesto and sauces. Also weighs a loving ton.

edit: I'm also not sure how it could wear out at all, it's very thick and granite's a tough rock. There could be some confusion with a molcajete, maybe? Those are made of much lighter volcanic rocks, which I'd guess would wear out quickly.

Extortionist fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 9, 2016

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Lol if you don't like ground rock in your food

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Rather than a mortar/pestle, I've been looking for a good molcajete. Anyone have any recommendations for that?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
go to a mercado, buy a molcajete

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
FoodSaver at Meh today.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Granite is the way to go imho. They are cheap, any will do just pick the size you like, no need for a brand. You can rinse them after use, they are heavy which translates into a stable base and they don't care what you grind in them. Porcelain, olive wood, metal what have you all make no sense to me.

Actually, check your local Asian supermarket, here in Germany they are your best bet in terms of size choice and cost effectiveness.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Hopper posted:

Granite is the way to go imho. They are cheap, any will do just pick the size you like, no need for a brand. You can rinse them after use, they are heavy which translates into a stable base and they don't care what you grind in them. Porcelain, olive wood, metal what have you all make no sense to me.

Actually, check your local Asian supermarket, here in Germany they are your best bet in terms of size choice and cost effectiveness.

I use an Ikea mortar and pestle. I'm sure there are better, but we were at Ikea and it was $10...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Test Pattern posted:

I use an Ikea mortar and pestle. I'm sure there are better, but we were at Ikea and it was $10...

That is granite isn't it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm really on the fence about this, agonizing over whether to go stone like an abuela, steel for cleanliness or glass like Walter White for a mortar & pestle

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Stone's texture is better imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

Stone's texture is better imo

Yeah, and while it does wear faster, you have to use it a lot before you'll notice a difference.