Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Improbable Lobster posted:

MaxFun seems like complete garbo and I have never been even vaguely tempted to listen to a non-McElroy MaxFun show.

Stop podcasting yourself and the greatest generation are both cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Improbable Lobster posted:

MaxFun seems like complete garbo and I have never been even vaguely tempted to listen to a non-McElroy MaxFun show.

I used to listen to a ton of 'em before I discovered good podcasts and yeah, this is mostly a good instinct. Lots of twee nonsense.

Stop Podcasting Yourself is solid, despite falling squarely in the "couple'a white guys in a room talkin'" category of podcasts, Dave and Graham are funny and have good chemistry so it works (not so much in the ads, but then again the McElroy ads often aren't great either). Highlights include guest Charlie Demers referring to the lead singer of Mini Kiss as "Recessive Gene Simmons," Jon Dore irritating the living poo poo out of Dave on all his appearances, the Lessons Learned from Flex Magazine Theme Song performed by PFT (who's been on a ton and seems to love the show), Graham constantly getting dragged into fights on public transit despite seeming like a jovial Canadian hobo, and Dave getting shot in the head that one time.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Judge John Hodgman is the only non-McElroy show I've ever really enjoyed. There are some good Wham Bam Pows but unless I've seen the movie they're talking about they don't do a great job of summarizing things.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

It was OK but it kind of commits the cardinal sin of a bad movie mockery show where they chose a movie that was an intentionally bad, low-budget, "ironic" horror movie. Like, no poo poo Leprechan Whatever: Why Are We Still Making These is badly acted and cheaply made.

I disagree. They made a point of saying that the Warwick Davis ones were goofy and fun and enjoyable in comparison to the WWE studios one. They weren't angry that it was cheap, they were angry that it was boring, slow paced and took itself too seriously

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

The brothers doing Jordan Jesse Go! is worth entirely it for their gag at the beginning

A lot of the non-McElroy Maximum Fun casts don't do it for me but there are good ones: Stop Podcasting Yourself, Greatest Generation, Judge John Hodgman and Wham Bam Pow are consistently fun, Jordan Jesse Go and Flophouse have their moments (depends on the guest/movie imo).
The ads make most of them sound way worse than they actually are

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

misadventurous posted:

The brothers doing Jordan Jesse Go! is worth entirely it for their gag at the beginning

A lot of the non-McElroy Maximum Fun casts don't do it for me but there are good ones: Stop Podcasting Yourself, Greatest Generation, Judge John Hodgman and Wham Bam Pow are consistently fun, Jordan Jesse Go and Flophouse have their moments (depends on the guest/movie imo).

Actually the Bros. doing JJGO was worth it entirely for them singing the theme song at the end.

e; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdm5L0nK7hA

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 5, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

Actually the Bros. doing JJGO was worth it entirely for them singing the theme song at the end.

That was probably the high point of their Flop House crossover too, Clint trying and failing to do an annoying improvised song because his pipes are just too good.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
People have correctly mentioned Judge John Hodgman and Greatest Generation as good MaxFun podcast, and I also enjoy the new wrestling podcast they have, Tights and Fights. Maybe they can get Griffin on sometime!

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Oh No Ross and Carrie's scientology episodes were pretty drat great. Their show as a whole is kinda hit and miss, though.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Baby Geniuses is super good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This thread gets weird sometimes with other Maxfun stuff, yeah you are not going to like everything. I don't like everything on Earwolf or everything on a TV channel. That doesn't mean the thing I like is automatically the only good thing their.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
We're not saying MBMBAM is automatically the only good thing there, we're saying it's literally the only good thing there.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PBS Newshour posted:

This thread gets weird sometimes with other Maxfun stuff, yeah you are not going to like everything. I don't like everything on Earwolf or everything on a TV channel. That doesn't mean the thing I like is automatically the only good thing their.

If the ads are at all reflective in any way of the the quality of the rest of the shows then that it 100% the case.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

A reminder that the jimmy buffet mbmbam ad exists and was made years before Justin was big into Jimmy Buffet and is literally the worst joke I've ever heard.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Post your favorite MBMBAM bits from 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJoR1ySRrZ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r_AeLsLbjg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKO3V_2kBgg

Hint: there are no wrong answers

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wonder what next year's motto will be. It's not like there's a lot of things that rhyme with 7.

My money's on 20Heaventeen: Make the world a better place.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Old man robbery ruined me on public transport. Goof of the year.

"I was here when you were born in this bank!"

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Nah, we already had 200Heaven. My money is on Travis proposing 20Leaventeen and it's all about raising to your best self

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Twenty-sever: get out while you still can

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Twenty-Kevin: Return of the Sorbo

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Best 2016 goof is Michael Jordan of Strangling.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

chaos rhames posted:

Best 2016 goof is Michael Jordan of Strangling.

YES OF COURSE HE HAS A STRANGLE JERSEY, I'M GLAD YOU'RE DYING!!!

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm going through the adventure zone for the first time, is the Switcheroo episode worth listening to? I have no familiarity with the flop house.

I'm super late but I'll be contrary and say I liked the episode a lot even having never listened to the Flop House before then. But it's a lot more like the first episodes of TAZ, with the game as more of just a platform for goofs in a fantasy setting instead of the on-rails grand narrative (not a criticism!) it became, so I'd say check it out if you really liked the early episodes, skip it otherwise.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The shorts family question is seriously among the most insane series of words typed by a person on the internet.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I wonder if boiskynz guy is related to shorts guy.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Flophouse is good and I liked the switcheroo MBMBaM, well bye

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

For my money the greatest piece of Maxfun cross promotion were the times hodgman was on the flophouse and mbmbam.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hodgman should guest spot on 1 random podcast every week

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

Hodgman is basically MaxFun's Paul F. Tompkins, right down to the inexplicable minor role in a prestigious drama when he was that horrifying doctor in The Knick who treated mental illness by pulling everyone's teeth, including his own children.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Travis343 posted:

Counterexample: there's an episode of Surprisingly Awesome that he somehow managed to make more boring.

I love him most places otherwise though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Please, the ultimate Hodgeman drama role was making everyone's favorite BSG character brain dead.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

misadventurous posted:

I didn't listen to any McElroy podcasts for over a year because the ads made them all sound completely terrible.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Hodgman is basically MaxFun's Paul F. Tompkins, right down to the inexplicable minor role in a prestigious drama when he was that horrifying doctor in The Knick who treated mental illness by pulling everyone's teeth, including his own children.

I really really want PFT to be on MBMBAM now.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Roach Warehouse posted:

For my money the greatest piece of Maxfun cross promotion were the times hodgman was on the flophouse and mbmbam.

Every bad movie podcast's episode on Nothing But Trouble tends to be a pretty high water mark since it's just that bonkers, but goddamn was the Flop House episode on NBT great.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

kidcoelacanth posted:

Flophouse is good and I liked the switcheroo MBMBaM, well bye

the amount of genuine anger the flophouse seems to get makes me like it more and more every time it comes up.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tatum Girlparts posted:

the amount of genuine anger the flophouse seems to get makes me like it more and more every time it comes up.

People looking at me weird when they see me gleefully shoveling turds down my throat just makes me want to eat poo poo even more :madmax:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy Mann posted:

People looking at me weird when they see me gleefully shoveling turds down my throat just makes me want to eat poo poo even more :madmax:

but enough about reading your posts

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Kojiro posted:

Oh No Ross and Carrie's scientology episodes were pretty drat great. Their show as a whole is kinda hit and miss, though.

A good rule of thumb for ONRAC is to specifically pick out the ones where you personally find the topic interesting. They don't typically do a great job of selling why the listener should give a gently caress about their topic. Also, never ever listen to guest interview episodes except maybe the Fire Lyte one which is okay. It also holds a special niche of being literally the only conspiracy/fringe podcast on the internet that isn't completely unlistenable garbage.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Paul F Tompkins owns and if he was on MaxFun I'd listen to his show. Wait. Does he have a podcast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

myron cope posted:

Paul F Tompkins owns and if he was on MaxFun I'd listen to his show. Wait. Does he have a podcast?

yes, Spontaneanation, but it's not on a regular schedule.

https://soundcloud.com/spontaneanation