Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

Well, gently caress. I do have a lot of Kirby games I've yet to finish instead. So much for my ability to pick a decent game to play, it's rapidly looking like this one is going to be tossed onto the trade stack anyways.

The original question still stands though, anybody else find or start any cool games over the weekend? Can't do worse than me.

I posted about BreakQuest a page or two ago, still worth it. I'm also taking a good hard look at my shelf of games, I haven't done much of anything with my consoles in the recent past, and I've got some games I haven't even tried yet.

I was reminded of a trip to an arcade recently where one of those like 6-8 player horse managing/racing games had a free credit in it and we tried to start the career of a horse named Face Picnic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8zdnXFBLCI&t=341s

but one of the buttons needed to advance through the menus was non-functioning, so the story of Face Picnic did not get off the ground.

However, I realized/remembered last night that at some point, in a used bookstore's clearance sale, I bought a copy of Gallop Racer 2006 for like a dollar. I should give that a go and ride Face Picnic to victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FireMrshlBill posted:

Weird. This weekend I got a mystery package from the Netherlands (some Postbus 7040 return address, which is apparently a PO Box), no company name and only "Candy" as a signature on the customs form. In it contained 3 batteries that are 3.7v 720mAh spec and with some tinkering could be replacement batteries for Gameboy Micros size-wise. I have no memory of ordering them, no charges that I would associate with them on my credit cards, paypal, eBay, Amazon, etc. Nothing in any of my email inboxes. The ship date was apparently August 3 and I posted in this thread on August 4 the "Making Electronics" Gameboy Micro battery upgrade link.

This is weird as gently caress. I have no memory of ordering them. Well, I will keep them aside for a few weeks to see if I am contacted. I guess I could have ordered them at some point though I can't find any evidence of it, but it is possible they were sent to me by mistake. The only clues I could find about this Postbus 7040 address were some scam complaints about people ordering shoes/glasses/etc. and getting cheap chinese knock-offs mailed from that Postbus address. So my assumption is they are some middleman for items being shipped from China or something.

Well, if I hear or find nothing, I guess they are mine to keep and I may try doing the GB Micro battery swap to see if they are any better and have longer battery life. Though my current battery is just fine.

If you haven't already you should probably check your bank statements from last month.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Well, gently caress. I do have a lot of Kirby games I've yet to finish instead. So much for my ability to pick a decent game to play, it's rapidly looking like this one is going to be tossed onto the trade stack anyways.

The original question still stands though, anybody else find or start any cool games over the weekend? Can't do worse than me.

I started Little Big Adventure for the first time. Controls aside it's really neat and I would've fell in love with it in '94. It's also trying to be a CG animated cartoon with a distinct aesthetic. Oddworld nailed it years later but if LBA continued into modern times it would really stand out.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

al-azad posted:

If you haven't already you should probably check your bank statements from last month.

I looked through them all going back to june (checking, savings, credit cards, paypal), as well as my Amazon and eBay histories. I was worried this is part of some scam to confirm my info for a bigger scam, but I dunno. Didn't see anything that stood out.

My current assumption is I missed a charge even though I looked through each 3 times, or I ordered something from Amazon or eBay that came from China, and the same seller accidentally used my info for someone else's order and it just went through a middleman in the Netherlands.

Since I posted that link about making your own GB Micro battery replacement/upgrade around the same time this was shipped... maybe I did order one in a late night stupor and just missed the corresponding charge on my accounts.

Anyway, I posted to mention that GB Micro battery replacement. So if no new info on these comes up in a month or so for these since I have no idea how to return it without a company name (and I am not paying to ship it back out of my pocket), I may try the swap to see if it works. Then if anyone needs a new battery for their GB Micro, I'll have 2 extras.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

al-azad posted:

I started Little Big Adventure for the first time. Controls aside it's really neat and I would've fell in love with it in '94. It's also trying to be a CG animated cartoon with a distinct aesthetic. Oddworld nailed it years later but if LBA continued into modern times it would really stand out.

I fell in love with the sequel at the time (never played the first), so definitely play that one, too. I was always disappointed that the series ended there. If you want more along those lines I'd also recommend a more recent indie game called The Real Texas. It's also incredibly charming with an offbeat sensibility... and has fairly lousy controls, but coming from LBA that shouldn't be a problem.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

As far as weekend games go, I played the demo for Dungeon Siege to completion three times over while I wait for the copy I ordered on eBay to get here (yeah, I could buy the Steam version, but that doesn't have the expansion, plus physical media is nice), mostly spurred on by repeated watchings of the episode of Ross's Game Dungeon covering the game making me curious.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Dungeon Siege is an cool game. Even more interesting are the Ultima remakes created by modding it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Also: I should just try Diablo already, it's not like I haven't owned copies of the first two games/expansions that I picked up from thrift stores for years now.

Like, yeah, sure, it doesn't have Dungeon Siege's eight-man wrecking crew, but still

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If you're going into Diablo, do it right and grab yourself a trainer after the first few missions so you become a walking mountain of gently caress.

Actually, scratch that. Play the first few missions with friends and in voice chat and revel in the sheer insanity that is trying to stay alive.

Then turn into mountains of gently caress. All of you.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FireMrshlBill posted:

I looked through them all going back to june (checking, savings, credit cards, paypal), as well as my Amazon and eBay histories. I was worried this is part of some scam to confirm my info for a bigger scam, but I dunno. Didn't see anything that stood out.

My current assumption is I missed a charge even though I looked through each 3 times, or I ordered something from Amazon or eBay that came from China, and the same seller accidentally used my info for someone else's order and it just went through a middleman in the Netherlands.

Since I posted that link about making your own GB Micro battery replacement/upgrade around the same time this was shipped... maybe I did order one in a late night stupor and just missed the corresponding charge on my accounts.

Anyway, I posted to mention that GB Micro battery replacement. So if no new info on these comes up in a month or so for these since I have no idea how to return it without a company name (and I am not paying to ship it back out of my pocket), I may try the swap to see if it works. Then if anyone needs a new battery for their GB Micro, I'll have 2 extras.

That would be a crazy coincidence that you were just talking about GBA Micro batteries and a couple came to your home. Is it possible you added them to your cart by accident, and then went and ordered something else from that site, forgetting that the other items were in your basket? Either that or another goon who knows you in real life saw you post about them and sent them to you.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I think of LBA as kind of the big finale of the European school of game design. The last hurrah of the isometric action adventure.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I think of LBA as kind of the big finale of the European school of game design. The last hurrah of the isometric action adventure.

It does feel like the culmination of everything Rare and Bitmap Bros. mashed into one but it's missing a Tim Follins CD quality soundtrack. I've actually had Plok on in the background.

The subject matter is also kind of hard hitting in this weird cartoon animal game about a fascist dictator turning a natural paradise into a military industrial complex. An indie studio could have a field day with this concept mixed with modern Pixar-style graphics.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

dishwasherlove posted:

Dungeon Siege is an cool game. Even more interesting are the Ultima remakes created by modding it.

I think Dungeon Siege might have been the first game with a "no loading screens!" gimmick (aka a teleport portal that takes 10-15 seconds to warm up).

It was a fun click-fest with a couple of buddies, and the graphics were pretty dazzling for their day. My only complaint is I ran into a balance glitch where I'd leveled my character's spellpower too high relative to their casting stat (Int/Wis). Your spellpower increases (and gets more expensive to cast) from level to level, eventually my basic attack spell got so expensive I could not afford to cast it even once. There was no way to respec your build, so 30-some hours into the game my character suddenly became useless. I can't imagine they didn't fix that in a patch (this was in the early days of DS1) but it frustrated me enough I never revisted the series (though thanks for reminding about the Ultima remakes, I'd be interested to check those out).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So I'm trying to beat Mega Man 2 for the first time since I was... 6?

I want to go back in time to when Quick Man's stage was being designed and kick everybody involved in it square in the loving balls.

You should go back in time to when they were designing Mega Man X5 and kick them in the balls for re-using that level first, and then you can go back for MM2. You know how much of a bigger pain in the rear end it is when you can control the screen so that the lasers all spawn somewhat differently each time AND they expect you to dash around it all?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Not to mention the walls being sticky in X5, which can be the difference between squeaking by or loving yourself.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

That would be a crazy coincidence that you were just talking about GBA Micro batteries and a couple came to your home. Is it possible you added them to your cart by accident, and then went and ordered something else from that site, forgetting that the other items were in your basket? Either that or another goon who knows you in real life saw you post about them and sent them to you.

Ya, that is very true. Though I have no financial records of it anywhere and can't think of any gift cards I used. All the goons I know in real life are not on this thread and are cheap.

I actually was laying in bed last night and was thinking of looking for a battery charging circuit and trying to use them in my GBA and my GBC in order to save on AA batteries. I pulled up these and think they may work. I'm pretty sure these 3.7V batteries usually charge up to 4.2V but drop pretty quick down to operating voltage. I just need to confirm that and that they can handle 1000mA, and I'm pretty sure the over discharge of 2.5V minimum is adequate to keep them alive. But it is about the length of the batteries so if I can hot glue the board to the battery I may be able to get it where I can just take off the battery cover of my GBC/GBA and charge via micro-USB, but still have it be able to be put back to AA batteries if desired.

edit: though these are Lipo batteries meant to be used in RC/drone applications. Not sure how Lipo batteries will deal compared to Li-ion since they are usually meant for higher discharge/power operations. I would definitely not have ordered these seeing as they are Lipo... so no idea how I got them. Oh well... more research into using Lipo in place of AA batteries.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 6, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ah, the “ransom note“ school of design.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
"it is graphics"

Go back to journalism school, James Rolfe.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cloks posted:

"it is graphics"

The thought of any gaming journalists in journalism school is hilarious to me. Unless it's an extension of the same school that taught people that a layout like that was acceptable.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Random Stranger posted:

The thought of any gaming journalists in journalism school is hilarious to me. Unless it's an extension of the same school that taught people that a layout like that was acceptable.

The 90's were a different time, man.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cloks posted:

"it is graphics"

I sort of expect he was in school when he wrote that...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

I sort of expect he was in school when he wrote that...

Assuming it's AVGN James Rolfe then he would've been 14 or so. Old enough to know better but wHo DiDn'T HaVe SoMe DuMb QuIrK At ThAt AgE btw my AIM XxSuperSaiyajinSephirothxX

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Uhh... that looks like something that was published in the school newspaper or something he self-published in the Family Journal Monthly or something.

Personally, I know I went through a period when I was just using a bunch of fonts and effects (GRADIENTS WHOAHHHH) because I had just been given a computer. The results were bad, but I intuited a lot about what makes things terrible thanks to it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oh man I remember early GameFAQs posting....wait a minute!

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

tag yourself I'm "terminater 2"

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I guess I'm Sega system then

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

i'm "64-bits of graphics"

XYZ fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 6, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I'm James Rolfe

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm gonna be 64 bits with big tits, "Nude Raider" instead of "Tomb Raider", and with cusses and blood out your loving rear end. I'm gonna be the 64 bit console your mama warned you about and your daddy secretly wants to get down with.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

This all turned out to be accurate with regards to 3D. :eyepop:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

James Rolfe would have been like 13 when that was written, if anyone was wondering.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Anyone got a rundown of all the randomizer rom hack programs out there nowadays? I asked in the modding thread but that thread is more concerned with bethesda mods

poo poo like the Earthbound Reshuffler, I'm talking about.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I'm gonna be 64 bits with big tits, "Nude Raider" instead of "Tomb Raider", and with cusses and blood out your loving rear end. I'm gonna be the 64 bit console your mama warned you about and your daddy secretly wants to get down with.
So the Jaguar, then

Yes I know Tomb Raider never came out on the Jaguar shut up

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Shadow Hog posted:

So the Jaguar, then

If your dad is all about worn-out hot messes with malformed bits, then sure!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I suppose I should ask him where he learned to fly...

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

this is pretty much what I imagine is going on in AVGN's head today

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Anyone got a rundown of all the randomizer rom hack programs out there nowadays? I asked in the modding thread but that thread is more concerned with bethesda mods

poo poo like the Earthbound Reshuffler, I'm talking about.

Off the top of my head, there's Zelda, Dragon Warrior, and I think Super Metroid. The DQ one is pretty cool, but you can also get some bullshit like slimes casting Hurtmore.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If there's only one thing you see from James Rolfe it should be Sega Genesis vs. Super Nintendo where he argues with his 13yo self who is arguing about SNES. if you want a mental image of the kid who wrote that, there you go.

There's another on Youtube I lost the link to but it's some 90s super weeb's home video recording of Rondo of Blood that he imported for probably $100 and plays it with camera pointed at screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
The Genesis vs. SNES video is easily the best thing he's made for Cinemassacre.

• Locked thread