Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Just a quick post to remind you that DS9 is Best Trek, even pre-beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phobeste posted:

Just a quick post to remind you that DS9 is Best Trek, even pre-beard.

Q punch is pre-beard.

Checks out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only bad DS9 is that weird time when there was both hair and beard.

Dark times.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
All the red squad episodes are terrible. Especially this one with the cadet crew on the not-Defiant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Admiral Bosch posted:

All the red squad episodes are terrible. Especially this one with the cadet crew on the not-Defiant.

That one was the goddamned worst.

I'm at season 5 on Voyager, the opener with the two year black void wasn't bad, I'm watching Drone right now and it's quite good. I remember enjoying this one when it originally aired.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Admiral Bosch posted:

Uh, you get to watch those losers get themselves blown up in truly idiotic fashion, so there's no way it's a bad episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I mean, seriously, watching those morons explode after 42 minutes of listening to them prattle on about DUTY and STARFLEET and RED SQUAD is one of the greatest payoffs DS9 ever gave us.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Uh, you get to watch those losers get themselves blown up in truly idiotic fashion, so there's no way it's a bad episode.

Good point lol. I hadn't ever seen this one before, and I spoke too soon. loving christ though. That was an annoying 40 minutes.

Edit: loving lol at this idiot kid still thinking the cadet captain was super great and not learning her lesson. They should have all died.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 6, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It only would have been a bad episode if Red Squad really was as good as they thought they were.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I loved how Nog, an actual starfleet officer, let some academy bitch boss him around because they all got fake battlefield commissions.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean, seriously, watching those morons explode after 42 minutes of listening to them prattle on about DUTY and STARFLEET and RED SQUAD is one of the greatest payoffs DS9 ever gave us.

It's honestly a rather dark story, all things told. It's a cold look at what blind loyalty, devotion to ideals over actions and creeds over logic can result in. I had no idea it was going to end in a full blown tragedy, I expected a cop-out because it's Star Trek and Star Trek manages to pull silver linings out of genocidal interstellar war. But not this time, and I liked that. I like that DS9 set up a few seeds for future Trek, of the possibility of a more militant Federation rising up in the next generation.

EDIT: Really the only truly bad DS9 episodes are the ones where they don't know how to use Worf. Worf and Jadzia going to Risa is absolutely terrible.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I'll forgive even Let He Who Is Without Sin because it gave us this scene with Michael Dorn's perfect delivery and Terry Farrell's complete failure to keep a straight face at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_t1Nx1pG-4

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I say it every time that episode is brought up and I'll say it again; Worf getting pissed at ultra-relaxed Risa and deciding to ruin everyone's vacation to teach them a lesson is completely true to Worf's character. He's a giant stick in the mud about every single kind of relaxing activity that isn't poker or Klingon opera. Especially early-DS9 Worf, before Jadzia and Martok ease him into being a semi-normal person.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I say it every time that episode is brought up and I'll say it again; Worf getting pissed at ultra-relaxed Risa and deciding to ruin everyone's vacation to teach them a lesson is completely true to Worf's character. He's a giant stick in the mud about every single kind of relaxing activity that isn't poker or Klingon opera. Especially early-DS9 Worf, before Jadzia and Martok ease him into being a semi-normal person.

That's actually a pretty good point, you definitely see the effect those close to Worf ultimately have on him. It's a one-note character really given a chance to sing on DS9.

EDIT: He probably shoulda gone to jail for the whole weather hijacking terrorism thing though. Nobody goes to jail in Star Trek.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Locarno went to jail so hard he changed his name.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That's actually a pretty good point, you definitely see the effect those close to Worf ultimately have on him. It's a one-note character really given a chance to sing on DS9.

EDIT: He probably shoulda gone to jail for the whole weather hijacking terrorism thing though. Nobody goes to jail in Star Trek.

Unless you help out the Maquis.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gorewar posted:

Unless you help out the Maquis.
It actually makes sense to me that Worf would have some protection from consequences like that, because he's the only Klingon in Starfleet (or perhaps the only high-ranking Klingon, or the only Klingon who isn't "some random motherfucker who drifted into the enlisted ranks"). So he'd probably get the benefit of the doubt on stuff like that if he didn't demand to get punished or something.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don't think "being the only klingon in starfleet" give Worf much leeway though, considering how his own people are pissed off at him fairly often. I doubt they'd care if he was drummed out or jailed.

Poor Worf probably just doles out the punishment himself with painsticks later that day.

Sidenote: aren't there people in this thread who don't like "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" either? Speak up cowards, I'm waiting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sidenote: aren't there people in this thread who don't like "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" either? Speak up cowards, I'm waiting.

My only problem with that episode is that the tiny size of the holosuite just doesn't work with a baseball field.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

My only problem with that episode is that the tiny size of the holosuite just doesn't work with a baseball field.

They holographed up some extra space. Don't you know anything about how holograms work???

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It would really make more sense if they just jacked into the person's brain like in The Matrix.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

gently caress you I've never thought of this and now it's ruined.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
People are actually closer than they appear, and you are seeing projections of them looking further away. The ball is holographic, so the computer can compensate. Also, when you run, the floor is temporarily a treadmill.

It works. Barely.

"There's a hater, what do I do?"
FIND HIM AND KILL HIM

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Scudworth posted:

gently caress you I've never thought of this and now it's ruined.

When you get close to the walls of the holodeck, the treadmill effect kicks in and you are stationary as the world moves around you. The effect is localized for each person; each person interacts with their own local bubble, which only merges with another when they are close enough.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Or they rented every holosuite in Quark's and linked them together so there's only 4-5 people in each one.

STOP POKING HOLES IN THIS

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They got shrunk down like in that episode where the defiant got tiny.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Speaking of the holodeck, I was reading an article a while back about some VR room called "the Void" where you still wear a headset but they can control some other ambient effects in the room as well to provide extra immersion. Because they know the size of the room you'd be in (because they built it) they can take advantage of the tendency for a person to walk in circles if they can't see and have the headset turn you around before you get to a wall while you feel like you're walking in a straight line. The first thing I thought of when I read it was the Enterprise doing some funhouse mirror shenanigans to keep a room full of people from walking into eachother without the treadmills.

...not that this would work with more than one person at a time (and it might not even work without a headset) but I think it'd be funny to watch everyone throw up until they figure that out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's bad, BMJ

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Well it's not bad exactly but I don't like comedy episodes of things for the most part and when I watch in order (which why wouldn't you?) it feels like the metaplot is getting stalled far too much about that point

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Trent posted:

People are actually closer than they appear, and you are seeing projections of them looking further away. The ball is holographic, so the computer can compensate. Also, when you run, the floor is temporarily a treadmill.

It works. Barely.

"There's a hater, what do I do?"
FIND HIM AND KILL HIM
Now that he mentions it, regardless of hologram trickery, there's around 20 people standing in a room this big and swinging their arms around...

Maybe the forcefields started stacking people vertically.

Or Quark has a bigger deluxe holosuite and we just never saw it when it was turned off. There, episode saved again.

armoredgorilla posted:

I'll forgive even Let He Who Is Without Sin because it gave us this scene with Michael Dorn's perfect delivery and Terry Farrell's complete failure to keep a straight face at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_t1Nx1pG-4
To nitpick another aspect of this clip, I always thought it was a little ridiculous they let two crewmembers take one of the station's three runabouts on a vacation for a week. On TNG at least the Enterprise had an unknown capacity of shuttles to pull from, DS9 is established as only having three runabouts.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The holodeck is actually a negatively curved 4-dimensional non-euclidian space. It's the only explanation.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The holodeck/suite is a lie. It's actually powered by enslaved Q's and literally transports people to newly created world that fits their specifications.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Knormal posted:

Now that he mentions it, regardless of hologram trickery, there's around 20 people standing in a room this big and swinging their arms around...

Maybe the forcefields started stacking people vertically.

Or Quark has a bigger deluxe holosuite and we just never saw it when it was turned off. There, episode saved again.

Quark has multiple holosuites, they just rented two and networked them.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If they can bend space like they seemingly do whenever someone sneezes at a LCARS panel then anything is possible, really.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well it's not bad exactly but I don't like comedy episodes of things for the most part and when I watch in order (which why wouldn't you?) it feels like the metaplot is getting stalled far too much about that point

Yeah, strict serialization was still a pretty new idea for the Star Trek writers at that point, so even in the Dominion War seasons, about half the episodes aren't really about that stuff. The first stretch of season 7 is particularly jarring because all the filler-y sidestories that we'd usually get scattered throughout the whole season are concentrated right at the beginning. It was really weird on rewatch because I kept thinking OK, "this is the season where poo poo gets real!" and forgot just how many episodes there are that deal with much lighter fare. I understand exactly why they did it -- season 6 got pretty dark by the end (and a chunk of the fanbase was fairly unhappy about that), so they wanted to ease up and go back to telling fun light stories while they still had the chance, but you're right that the way they're all clumped together like that got to be a bit much, especially if you were one of the people who was just waiting for them to get to the fireworks factory war. Several of those episodes are good on their own terms -- Take Me Out to the Holosuite, and It's Only a Paper Moon are both particularly well written/acted -- but most of them are just aggressively mediocre or downright bad (ugh, mirror universe) and even a fun episode like Bada Bing Bada Bang really suffers from being like the tenth low-stakes side story in fifteen episodes.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Tunicate posted:

They got shrunk down like in that episode where the defiant got tiny.

No such episode exists. Bad nerd.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, strict serialization was still a pretty new idea for the Star Trek writers at that point, so even in the Dominion War seasons, about half the episodes aren't really about that stuff. The first stretch of season 7 is particularly jarring because all the filler-y sidestories that we'd usually get scattered throughout the whole season are concentrated right at the beginning. It was really weird on rewatch because I kept thinking OK, "this is the season where poo poo gets real!" and forgot just how many episodes there are that deal with much lighter fare. I understand exactly why they did it -- season 6 got pretty dark by the end (and a chunk of the fanbase was fairly unhappy about that), so they wanted to ease up and go back to telling fun light stories while they still had the chance, but you're right that the way they're all clumped together like that got to be a bit much, especially if you were one of the people who was just waiting for them to get to the fireworks factory war. Several of those episodes are good on their own terms -- Take Me Out to the Holosuite, and It's Only a Paper Moon are both particularly well written/acted -- but most of them are just aggressively mediocre or downright bad (ugh, mirror universe) and even a fun episode like Bada Bing Bada Bang really suffers from being like the tenth low-stakes side story in fifteen episodes.

They also make you spend a lot of time with Ezri. Her actress seems like a genuinely nice person that was horribly miscast and is easily the worst actor in the group (her dark mirror tough girl act was just hilariously poo poo) so it was honestly kind of painful. I think the DS9 people could have fixed her by the end of the series, honestly, though. She fared far better with several scenes in the final stretch of episodes. But her introduction stuff was handled just abysmally from top to bottom.

The best Ezri episode was the transporter sniper.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I like the "Ezri goes home" episode for her family having absolutely no idea what to do with this new person wearing her face. Her mother in particular deals poorly with Ezri Dax being not Ezri Tigan. The O'Brien side is poo poo, but the exploration of being a Joined Trill was good stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hmm. Stumbled across this earlier. Would have been an interesting take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That would have been so good.