Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I usually use the GameFAQs advanced search when I really have to narrow it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Man I haven't thought about Cosmology of Kyoto in a loooooooooooooooong time. Nice call Hakkesshu.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I've never heard of this game but apparently you can get it on the Internet Archive: Cosmology of Kyoto. I'm downloading it now, so I don't know what it takes to get it running.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Caufman posted:

I have only seen screenshots of this obscure game. It's definitely a horror game, its imagery inspired by a nightmarish interpretation of the Japanese/Shinto hell. The interface reminded me of Encarta's Mind Maze, and the art was drawn instead of rendered. It could have come from the 90's.

It is definitely not Yume Nikki. The game I'm thinking of is not pixel.

Hakkesshu posted:

Cosmology of Kyoto?

Hakkesshu posted:

Yes, definitely, if you can find a copy and get it working. There's nothing else quite like it.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Man I haven't thought about Cosmology of Kyoto in a loooooooooooooooong time. Nice call Hakkesshu.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I've never heard of this game but apparently you can get it on the Internet Archive: Cosmology of Kyoto. I'm downloading it now, so I don't know what it takes to get it running.

Someone linked this in one of the threads, maybe even this one or possibly the Horror Games thread but you can get a mostly preconfigured dosbox version from this twitter link:

https://twitter.com/rachelfails/status/326382344695058432

There's a readme in the zip file to create a shortcut if you don't know how to work dosbox. Windows Defender didn't find anything but scan it with your preferred AV of choice if you're paranoid. I played it before and it went off without a hitch.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to ask here because GBS couldn't figure it out -

About 10 years ago there was a flash game (well kind of a game) where you could click and drag a bunch of colored letters across a flat surface to form words. The kicker was that other people in the room could also click and drag the letters. So you had people write random messages in the rooms, or you had 20 people working together to form a giant penis using the letters. Someone could be a dick and steal the letters as you were trying to write something. I was wondering what the name of that game was and if it's still around.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

...flash game (well kind of a game) where you could click and drag a bunch of colored letters...

http://www.lunchtimers.com/

boof
Jun 3, 2001
Trying to remember the name of a game that was never released. What I recall is:
- a non-playable demo of it was on a PC Gamer UK cover cd, sometime around 1995-1996
- the demo was a few minutes long and showed a battle between two fighters, set in a dungeon.
- it was rendered in-engine and looked rather Quake-ish, with great (for the time) lighting effects
- if I'm remembering correctly, the developers originated from the European demoscene

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

boof posted:

Trying to remember the name of a game that was never released. What I recall is:
- a non-playable demo of it was on a PC Gamer UK cover cd, sometime around 1995-1996
- the demo was a few minutes long and showed a battle between two fighters, set in a dungeon.
- it was rendered in-engine and looked rather Quake-ish, with great (for the time) lighting effects
- if I'm remembering correctly, the developers originated from the European demoscene

I think I know which game you are talking about. I believe it had a one word title, but I'm not entirely sure what it was. IIRC it was called "Brutal" or "Minotauro" or something like that since there was a minotaur in the artwork. I believe it was a Spanish game, and one of the features it touted was that you could see cuts on your opponent in real time.

Maybe someone else remembers more details.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Chaz GELF posted:

Okay, this one's being doing my head in for a little while now. There was a game that was played by the SA forums a good few years back (At least within the past 5 years), basically a sci-fi business sim in the same vein as Capitalism II, except I believe it was kind of a massively-multiplayer deal and players could become mayors of entire towns if they were successful enough. I don't even know if the game's still running now, I'm just trying to remember the name of it. Something like "Star"-something, but then given it's a sci-fi game that's really not a whole lot to go on.

I remember this. That would be Starpeace Online, hopefully nobody gets any ideas about playing the unbalanced heap again.

-

My turn to ask you guys if you can remember some dumb game we played at one point. It's a 2d cyberpunk game. It's sorta like an arena game where you've got a bunch of players playing agents who have to get around the map trying to collect the win condition and get it back to their base (which they could place, but it just amounted to a hidden door in the environment). There would be NPC citizens and guards doing a simple pace back and forth walk, and agents could disguise themselves as citizens to fool other agents and not be attacked by the NPC guards. The graphics are that sort of grungy 90s realistic sprite stuff, not quite Mortal Kombat's actual photos, but pretty close. All the factions had their little quirks and gadgets, but the only faction I can recall is the one where instead of the agents being on the same team every agent of that particular faction is a lone wolf, the faction had a dorky name like Black Rose or something.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Unhappy Meal posted:

I remember this. That would be Starpeace Online, hopefully nobody gets any ideas about playing the unbalanced heap again.

-

My turn to ask you guys if you can remember some dumb game we played at one point. It's a 2d cyberpunk game. It's sorta like an arena game where you've got a bunch of players playing agents who have to get around the map trying to collect the win condition and get it back to their base (which they could place, but it just amounted to a hidden door in the environment). There would be NPC citizens and guards doing a simple pace back and forth walk, and agents could disguise themselves as citizens to fool other agents and not be attacked by the NPC guards. The graphics are that sort of grungy 90s realistic sprite stuff, not quite Mortal Kombat's actual photos, but pretty close. All the factions had their little quirks and gadgets, but the only faction I can recall is the one where instead of the agents being on the same team every agent of that particular faction is a lone wolf, the faction had a dorky name like Black Rose or something.

How many players is a bunch of players?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Jerry Cotton posted:

How many players is a bunch of players?

I don't think we ever hit the server cap... so more than 6, but less than 12? I'm pretty sure the levels weren't large enough for more than that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Unhappy Meal posted:

I don't think we ever hit the server cap... so more than 6, but less than 12? I'm pretty sure the levels weren't large enough for more than that.

Ah it would've perhaps been helpful to mention it was an on-line game.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
making a post so I can search my old posts, I'll edit this in a sec.

E: it was in the other "game you forgot the name of" thread that died out, I gotta track that down now.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 5, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Here you go.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Sweet, thanks...

... wait why the hell are there still two of these threads active at the same time?! I just posted in that motherfucker a few weeks ago, I thought one or the other died off like a year ago!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They basically got made at the same time and when one dies off someone is like "what was the name of that thread..." and bumps the other.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Unhappy Meal posted:

Answering my own questions, because MobyGames is super handy. The game was Silencer

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

boof posted:

Sounds like Into the Shadows.

I have a really vague one for you guys. You played as an angel, you may have been bringing about the apocalypse, I can't really remember anything else other than wherever they had all their computers and backups being struck by lightning and burning to the ground twice, losing all the code both times.

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 5, 2016

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Post 2000 game, in which you are given a pixel art, tiled, two dimensional building, and a budget. You use this budget to spend on demolitions equipment and you try to do as clean and efficient a building demolition as possible. Complications included things like other buildings nearby that you can't hit with shrapnel or debris, and a budget that continues from job to job as you run a demolition company. PC game, I think it was European. Any idea?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pogonodon posted:

I have a really vague one for you guys. You played as an angel, you may have been bringing about the apocalypse, I can't really remember anything else other than wherever they had all their computers and backups being struck by lightning and burning to the ground twice, losing all the code both times.

Only game I have with an angel PC is Messiah. Still haven't played it though.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Only game I have with an angel PC is Messiah. Still haven't played it though.

It was definitely never released, the second time the code literally burned up they cancelled it.

Edit: It was from either the 90s or the early 2000s, pretty sure.

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 6, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pogonodon posted:

Any other details? Year, platform, style, 2D/3D, gameplay?

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

al-azad posted:

Any other details? Year, platform, style, 2D/3D, gameplay?

PC, 90s or early 2000s, definitely 3d but that's about all I've got. It's really vague memories from articles I read years ago.

Edit: Not an MMO, singleplayer, multi may have been planned.

Pogonodon fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 6, 2016

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Pogonodon posted:

If it's any consolation, I seem to vaguely remember a game like this too (that wasn't Messiah). Hell if I can remember what it was though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pogonodon posted:

PC, 90s or early 2000s, definitely 3d but that's about all I've got. It's really vague memories from articles I read years ago.

There's Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse a Devil May Cry ripoff. PC and console release but the company went bankrupt, not source code related.

Shade: Wrath of Angels eventually came out but was in development over 7 years with two or three different stylistic changes for various reasons.

Conceptually the game sounds like Archangel but that came out.

You can give Unseen 64 a comb over. If anyone has any info on the game it would be them assuming it was going to be some kind of commercial release and not a free indie title.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

There are two games I downloaded off HappyPuppy back in the day (probably 1996-8) that I've always wanted to find. One was a Christmas-themed shooter. You controlled a turret at the bottom of the screen and shot elves, reindeer, etc. in Santa's grotto. It was pretty gory; There were elves floating around hanging from balloons, and when you shot them they'd fall down screaming and the balloons would float off with their arms still attached. The background music was Jingle Bells, but I distinctly remember some of the notes being different.

Whatever happened to Christmas games anyway?

The second one was a first-person game, probably an rpg. All I remember is being able to pick up "feces" as an object, and a puzzle with a bunch of scrolls on the floor. The scrolls said something like "spurned by love" and "spurned by hate" on them. I'm pretty sure it took place on multiple levels or floors, and I think I remember the staircases between being flat textures on walls.

I would guess both of these games were several years old when I downloaded them. I think both were DOS games rather than windows.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Pogonodon posted:

Could it be https://www.gog.com/game/requiem_avenging_angel ?

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

None of these are ringing any bells, except for Four Horsemen, I found out about the destruction of the one I'm looking for through an article about Horsemen being cancelled.

Slowly combing through Unseen64 but I don't have a lot of hope, my memories are too vague to help much.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

dads_work_files posted:

Whatever happened to Christmas games anyway?

There were a few on the Wii.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Saints Save Christmas is a good Christmas game and the new Dead Rising will also be one!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm trying to remember this old multiplayer game from like the early 2000s, it was a platformer and the goal was to find the other player's base and hack their computer. I think the base doors were invisible or something. you could buy turrets and stuff to protect your base.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Text based game where you find your father's old computer or something and unlock the story by programming it in BASIC.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

TIS-100 by Zachtronics?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tenik posted:

TIS-100 by Zachtronics?

Yessir!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm trying to remember this old multiplayer game from like the early 2000s, it was a platformer and the goal was to find the other player's base and hack their computer. I think the base doors were invisible or something. you could buy turrets and stuff to protect your base.

Sounds a bit like Future Cop's Precinct Assault mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQv8lNc7FZc

But less a platformer and more about destroying everything in sight.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

Sounds a bit like Future Cop's Precinct Assault mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQv8lNc7FZc

But less a platformer and more about destroying everything in sight.

nah, it was a sidescrolling game, and it was on PC. I remember it being tied to some old online game site that eventually went down.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
haha poo poo. I finally figured it out, it was Silencer on Won.net. that's been bugging me for ages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm3vrEoI1Ew
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silencer_(video_game)

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 15, 2016

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

SmokaDustbowl posted:

haha poo poo. I finally figured it out, it was Silencer on Won.net. that's been bugging me for ages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm3vrEoI1Ew
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silencer_(video_game)

As I was scrolling, I was like "wow, this sounds a lot like the game somebody was asking about like ten posts prior on the same page" and lo and behold

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I'm trying to think of the name of a game that was released in the past couple of years, so less than 5 for sure, probably 3 or fewer. I know it's on Steam. I know I read about it in a thread on SA. I believe it was in some form of roguelike thread, but I'm not totally sure on that. The thing I remember is that the game had a lot of traits and things about characters that were programmed into the game itself, and the post I think I remember is someone explaining that like, they gave an order to one of their characters to attack but she didn't because, like, she was mad and was pouting that one of the other characters had gone off and did X and clearly she hated X because she had properties Y and Z. That isn't exactly what the person said in their post but something along those lines. I think I remember people saying some aspects of it fit tangentially into the category of roguelike but that they probably wouldn't put the game as a whole into it. Does this ring bells for anyone? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'm trying to think of the name of a game that was released in the past couple of years, so less than 5 for sure, probably 3 or fewer. I know it's on Steam. I know I read about it in a thread on SA. I believe it was in some form of roguelike thread, but I'm not totally sure on that. The thing I remember is that the game had a lot of traits and things about characters that were programmed into the game itself, and the post I think I remember is someone explaining that like, they gave an order to one of their characters to attack but she didn't because, like, she was mad and was pouting that one of the other characters had gone off and did X and clearly she hated X because she had properties Y and Z. That isn't exactly what the person said in their post but something along those lines. I think I remember people saying some aspects of it fit tangentially into the category of roguelike but that they probably wouldn't put the game as a whole into it. Does this ring bells for anyone? :v:

Rimworld or Dwarf Fortress, maybe?

• Locked thread