Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
In a similar vein, just helped my girlfriend draft for her work league. Only thing I asked before was whether it was PPR, but apparently I should have checked the scoring. :psyduck:

These settings beg the question: Is Alex Smith an elite quarterback?

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
Am I crazy to think Markus Wheaton is way underappreciated this year? 749/5 last season, playing behind Martavis for most of the year, now the clear #2 behind AB. Not much from Coates in the preseason and no more Heath Miller to soak up targets.

Grabbed him for $1, and now I'm not really sure how to think about him - is he a WR2? okay clearly not a WR2, but maybe a decent WR3/flex guy for bye weeks?

I guess we'll find out soon enough...

thethreeman fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 6, 2016

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Who has a better chance of not sucking: Fuller or Sharpe?

For what it's worth I think Fuller was a lovely prospect coming out and has so far disproven that in the limited time I've seen of him in preseason. He just looks big and fast and already has pretty great body control. Something about Sharpe just screams that he won't be fantasy relevant, nor anyone else on the Titans offense besides Delanie and maybe whatever RB comes out ahead in that backfield combo.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I feel like this is a really basic question, but here goes. Why do people draft RBs and WRs before QBs?

In my work league, we use Yahoo with pretty standard scoring, but no flex. Most of the QBs you think of are estimated to score 20+ points per game, while guys like AB, OBJ, and Bell are in the upper teens. Kirk Amway Cousins has a higher points per game estimate than AB.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

canyonero posted:

I feel like this is a really basic question, but here goes. Why do people draft RBs and WRs before QBs?

In my work league, we use Yahoo with pretty standard scoring, but no flex. Most of the QBs you think of are estimated to score 20+ points per game, while guys like AB, OBJ, and Bell are in the upper teens. Kirk Amway Cousins has a higher points per game estimate than AB.

That's exactly why, cause lovely QBs like Cousins are still startable and still available late in the draft. There's no reason to jump on them unless your league makes an early run on backup QBs or something.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Only thing about dropping Diggs....Bradford is better than Bridgewater. I mean, not by much. But I could see Diggs retaining what he has.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have one Michael Crabtree. I hate that guy so I'd rather not have him on the team. Tajae Sharpe is available. Would it be dumb to dump Crabtree for him?

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

canyonero posted:

From what I understand (not a fantasy guru by any means), it's a combination of there being a bigger difference between elite/mid-tier WRs/RBs than for QB's, as well as the fact that you only need to field a single QB in most leagues, so the good ones (read: top 15 or so) are in less demand.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

kiimo posted:

I have one Michael Crabtree. I hate that guy so I'd rather not have him on the team. Tajae Sharpe is available. Would it be dumb to dump Crabtree for him?

Don't dump Crabtree for anyone

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

canyonero posted:

http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm

Basically if QBs score 20+ then you can wait on them and get WR's and RB's who score less but score more compared to other WRs and RBs. Would you rather spend a second round pick to grab Aaron Rodgers who will give you 30 points a game and a 10th rounder on a WR who will give you 8 points a game or a second round pick on Mike Evans who will give you 20 points a game and a 10 rounder on Derek Carr who will give you 25 points a game?

Also positional scarcity is a driving force. Most people play 10 or 12 person leagues which means there will probably only ever be a maximum of 24 QBs being rostered at any given time, or probably only even 10-12 in good leagues where players just spot start QBs during bye weeks. There are probably 20 fantasy relevant QBs out there that will put up respectable points each week, which means spending high picks on them isn't worth it. Compare that to a position like running back which only has about 10 clear cut starters who will put up good points, but your league has 10-12 teams that all have two RB spots plus a flex spot. Do the math.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

canyonero posted:

QBs score more points, but they all do. The replacement level is also way higher. If you literally don't draft a QB you can find a reasonably approximation of someone you could use on the waiver wire (this is called Value Based Drafting, drafting not based on production but production relative to replacement level--waiver wire--production). You only start 1 QB so you don't need to get a bunch of good ones, just one okay one. 2 RBs, 2 WRs and a flex or 2/3 means that you need to get more of them, so they get inflated up to the top. There's also a massive turnover at RB and a lot of breakout WR candidates so people tend to roster more as lottery tickets.

Beaten by a nearly identical post by Daltos

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

kiimo posted:

Yes it would be dumb to drop a guy whose floor is the ceiling of the player you're trying to acquire.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Doesn't anyone else get the vibe from Michael Crabtree that maybe he's the kind of player whose performance drops off after he gets the contract he wanted? I mean it's just a hunch but I'm wary of that poo poo sometimes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No, not at all.

The kind of vibe I get from Crabtree is that he's done pretty well with a series of inaccurate and poor quarterbacks and offenses, and now he's finally on a pretty decent offense with a pretty decent quarterback.

He is a solid option in fantasy football, startable in most formats as a FLEX option, and well worth his ADP of ~77 overall (~36th WR off the board).

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Anyone worth dropping for Sharpe or should I just let the Sharpe thing go. (Not Conley before you say it)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Travis Benjamin has that sweet stench of a guy you start week 8 because everyone else is hurt or on bye and never before and again.

And Chris Conley?!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's a long story. I have to carry him. I make bad bets with dangerous people. That being said he's the #2 guy in KC now and has looked great.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
So I have a really bad RB situation and a terrible bench. I have Doug Martin as my RB 1 and Charles Sims is available - I'm tempted to drop someone (Kearse, Parker) and pick up Sims as a handcuff. Is this a bad idea? Seems way too early to be making moves but just wanted a reality check:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Kearse for Sims is a no brainer

Edit: or Jameis

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Spoeank posted:

Kearse for Sims is a no brainer

Edit: or Jameis

Thanks for the advice. I dropped Kearse and got Sims.

My league doesn't do the waiver system and there has only been one trade between owners in over two years. We get 35 add/drops for the season and that's how you manage your roster.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kiimo posted:

I make bad bets with dangerous people.

Lol

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Are either of Richard Rogers or Jared Cook worth picking up? Current TE is Gary Barnidge.

Also, are people still high on Ertz? He seems like the kind of guy who flashes and then disappears for several drives in a row. Not to mention that but he's also losing snaps to Kelce. As an Eagles fan I'm just not sure why there's still optimism around him. Just curious since he's not actually available in my league anyway.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

Also, are people still high on Ertz?

As an Ertz owner, I'd like to know this as well. Seems like Bradford leaving really hurts his value. Should I drop him for one of the TE's sitting on waivers? Dwayne Allen, Martellus Bennett, Tyler Eifert, Jimmy Graham, Zach Miller, Vance McDonald are all available. (Non-ppr)

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
In a vacuum would you drop Torrey Smith or Ameer Abdullah for a Defense? (this is an 8 team league) .5ppr

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Quiet Feet posted:

Are either of Richard Rogers or Jared Cook worth picking up? Current TE is Gary Barnidge.

Also, are people still high on Ertz? He seems like the kind of guy who flashes and then disappears for several drives in a row. Not to mention that but he's also losing snaps to Kelce. As an Eagles fan I'm just not sure why there's still optimism around him. Just curious since he's not actually available in my league anyway.

Cook is the TE to own in Green Bay, but isn't better than a high end TE2 with some low end TE1 upside. Ertz is fine as a low end TE1, just don't go expecting more than that. I'd prefer him to Cook, but they're not that far apart. Jason Kelce the center is not taking snaps from Ertz, but Celek (2009 TE#4 superstar) might be. Who cares, he's a blocking tight end.

RCarr posted:

As an Ertz owner, I'd like to know this as well. Seems like Bradford leaving really hurts his value. Should I drop him for one of the TE's sitting on waivers? Dwayne Allen, Martellus Bennett, Tyler Eifert, Jimmy Graham, Zach Miller, Vance McDonald are all available. (Non-ppr)

Ertz is a fine low end TE1. Allen, Miller, and McDonald are all slightly worse. I'm hopeful about Allen with Fleener gone, Miller could be a respectable mid to low TE1 if he plays how he did last year, and McDonald is on an awful team so might get all the targets. Eifert is hurt but, especially in standard, has lots of upside. I'd be tempted to try to stash him, especially in non-PPR, but that's a dead roster spot for like minimum 3 weeks and probably more. Bennett and Graham are garbage for idiots.

Tree Dude posted:

In a vacuum would you drop Torrey Smith or Ameer Abdullah for a Defense? (this is an 8 team league) .5ppr

Yes drop Torrey Smith, no don't drop Abdullah.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

RVProfootballer posted:

Cook is the TE to own in Green Bay, but isn't better than a high end TE2 with some low end TE1 upside. Ertz is fine as a low end TE1, just don't go expecting more than that. I'd prefer him to Cook, but they're not that far apart. Jason Kelce the center is not taking snaps from Ertz, but Celek (2009 TE#4 superstar) might be. Who cares, he's a blocking tight end.

Ertz is a fine low end TE1. Allen, Miller, and McDonald are all slightly worse. I'm hopeful about Allen with Fleener gone, Miller could be a respectable mid to low TE1 if he plays how he did last year, and McDonald is on an awful team so might get all the targets. Eifert is hurt but, especially in standard, has lots of upside. I'd be tempted to try to stash him, especially in non-PPR, but that's a dead roster spot for like minimum 3 weeks and probably more. Bennett and Graham are garbage for idiots.

Yes drop Torrey Smith, no don't drop Abdullah.

Whoops, I got a little dyslexic with Celek. :downs:

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Foster is the starter this week.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Quiet Feet posted:

Whoops, I got a little dyslexic with Celek. :downs:

Yeah I figured, no worries :) It did get me to double check Celek's career fantasy prowess. ADP of TE#4 in 2010 lol.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's weird putting in the research and learning how drafts should go and then drafting in your live friends league and having Aaron go 3rd overall, Seahawks D in the second round, David Johnson coming back to me in the second with the fifth pick in a ten man draft and Eifert going at the third to last pick in the draft.

The only place I got hosed was taking CJA in the fifth (didn't want him but he just kept falling) and getting scooped on Booker in the 11th. I do not trust that clown after last year.

One last fun draft story: one friend broke his fantasy cherry and to his credit put in a lot of work doing research but was so into his sheets that he wasn't keeping up and was constantly trying to draft Eddie Lacys and TY Hiltons in the double digit rounds. Adorable.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
This is more of a gut feeling right now, but I think I'm stashing New England RB DJ Foster wherever I can in PPR leagues. Undrafted rookie hurts his hamstring in June, doesn't come back until after week 2 of the preseason, but still makes the team. Largely because of preseason week 4 where he saw a lot of play while Brady was on the field. I definitely got a "what can we do with this kid" vibe from his usage in that game. James White is a JAG-level talent and Belichick is cold-blooded; he will replace you with someone who does your job better than you if he has that option. They're only carrying four real WRs right now so I think they're still planning on using that role that Dion Lewis executed so effectively in their weekly gameplans.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Hard to love a running back with no touchdown upside, but it is true that Lewis being out for so long opens up potential value for somebody else there to catch passes. I'm not crazy about White but who knows with BB.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

weekly font posted:

One last fun draft story: one friend broke his fantasy cherry and to his credit put in a lot of work doing research but was so into his sheets that he wasn't keeping up and was constantly trying to draft Eddie Lacys and TY Hiltons in the double digit rounds. Adorable.

This always happens with least knowledgeable people in my leagues.

11th round... "I'll take Brandon Cooks."
"He was drafted in the 2nd round Jeff..."
"Ah, my bad, I'll take Dez Bryant then."

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tiptoes posted:

This is more of a gut feeling right now, but I think I'm stashing New England RB DJ Foster wherever I can in PPR leagues. Undrafted rookie hurts his hamstring in June, doesn't come back until after week 2 of the preseason, but still makes the team. Largely because of preseason week 4 where he saw a lot of play while Brady was on the field. I definitely got a "what can we do with this kid" vibe from his usage in that game. James White is a JAG-level talent and Belichick is cold-blooded; he will replace you with someone who does your job better than you if he has that option. They're only carrying four real WRs right now so I think they're still planning on using that role that Dion Lewis executed so effectively in their weekly gameplans.

Yeah, I'm stashing DJ Foster in dynasty (with deep benches), but tough to make room for him in redraft. If James White is garbage the first week or two, I'll try to make room for DJ, I think.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Am I crazy to pickup and start Osweiler vs Chi instead of Dalton vs the Jets?

I would be dropping Stills to get him.

I also have Fuller on the bench who I think will shred the Bears but I dont think I can start him over Moncrief in my Flex.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

RCarr posted:

This always happens with least knowledgeable people in my leagues.

11th round... "I'll take Brandon Cooks."
"He was drafted in the 2nd round Jeff..."
"Ah, my bad, I'll take Dez Bryant then."

Yeah it turned into a running gag but he mostly did well and wasn't the person who drafted a D in the 2nd.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead

weekly font posted:

To cut down on this, we instituted a shot rule. Owner of a repeated player picks any shot off the bar for the offender. One of our guys may learn after this year, 2 Absinthe and a Campari.

In other news, apparently Forsett is a FA in my one ESPN league. I assume I drop my QB2 for him? (Ben/Carson)

Also, do I bid on him now? Thinking $3-5 of my $100 FAB, or let him go until 3 AM tonight and just hope he passes?

e:Pic should work now

Rick Grimes fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 6, 2016

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Who should I drop to pick up Christine Michael? (non-ppr)

Trying to decide between Snead, Powell, Rishad Matthews, and Michael Thomas.

I'm leaning Rishad Matthews. Thoughts?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 6, 2016

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
My main redraft league with friends grew to a ridiculous 18 teams this year. Having drafted 0RB I put feelers out to the RB strong teams and one just offered me Ameer Abdullah for Justin Tucker! I put the odds of my league going mental and vetoing it at 50/50.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

My main .5 ppr league just saw someone drop Duke Johnson and Matt Ryan to waivers.

I am praying no one else grabs them. :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

smokyprogg posted:

In a similar vein, just helped my girlfriend draft for her work league. Only thing I asked before was whether it was PPR, but apparently I should have checked the scoring. :psyduck:

These settings beg the question: Is Alex Smith an elite quarterback?

I hate when people do dumb stuff with the settings.

• Locked thread