Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's weird to me how hard NPR was pushing the horse race this morning. They even had an interview with one of the five people voting Jill Stein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lmao gently caress the American media.

If Trump wins I hope they're first up against the wall wondering how gosh, when did the fascists ever take over?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Uh --- the most recent national polls (from RCP/Huffpolster) were:

Trump +1 (CNN)
Tie (LA Times)
Clinton +6 (NBC/Survey Monkey)
Clinton +4 (UPI/CVOTER )
Clinton +2 (Morning Consult)
Clinton +6 (Fox)
Clinton +5 (Economist/Yougov)
Clinton +1 (IPSOS/Reuters)

So, no there isn't a Trump swing. There's a CNN outlier.

But, have these numbers been uncucked yet?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/773152550417731584

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/773151806310518785

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lightning Knight posted:

If Trump wins I hope they're first up against the wall wondering how gosh, when did the fascists ever take over?

They are getting desperate to spin this as a regular election while ignoring everything out of the ordinary until November.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

If Fox News gives him $60 million to go away after sexually harassing people and then he has to pay "a portion of" the $20 million settlement, is he REALLY paying it out of pocket?

Ailes got a sweet deal on this whole thing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This is as clear a holy poo poo please don't make us go through discovery. Please please please. As I have ever seen lol

20 million this quickly. Jesus.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The health bullshit is the birtherism of this election. It's 'Isn't she just so frail and weak seeming? Can you possibly vote for someone so female?' in coded language.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Dexo posted:

This is as clear a holy poo poo please don't make us go through discovery. Please please please. As I have ever seen lol

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/773153706967703552

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There's a valid critique to how the poltical press has been treating the two candidates. The NYT has spent the last month trying to invent a pay-for-play at State, while seemingly ignoring that the other candidate pressured two state AG's investigating him into dropping charges by donating to their campaigns (and in one case, making an illegal donation through his foundation.)

If Hillary doesn't want to be scrutinized she probably shouldn't have run her foundation in such a blatantly shady looking way, whether it was actually shady or not. An unfortunate consequence of not giving a poo poo if people think you're corrupt is that people will think you're corrupt

It has been cool seeing liberals become as rabidly hostile to the free press as the worst Tea Partiers tho. It'll be interesting to see if this continues into her administration; I get the feeling that the level of scrutiny people have for Obama's foreign policy won't be tolerated at all under Hillary

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

I don't get what she's supposed to say about her "health," anyway.

"I had a loving coughing fit? Okay. I have allergies. The guy from CNN had on cologne that bothered me."

icantfindaname posted:

If Hillary doesn't want to be scrutinized she probably shouldn't have run her foundation in such a blatantly shady looking way, whether it was actually shady or not. An unfortunate consequence of not giving a poo poo if people think you're corrupt is that people will think you're corrupt

It has been cool seeing liberals become as rabidly hostile to the free press as the worst Tea Partiers tho

:lol: This would be more impactful if they'd turned up anything after literal years of probing. I am a big fan of the free press, and I am willing to wager I can talk, in way more detail than the known-bad-faith-concern-troll poster about media ethics in reporting and how investigative reporting works.

The point isn't that them doing due diligence is bad -- it's that they're being willfully dishonest about their reporting. The AP's BIG LEDE for their investigation was outright false. Like it was literal journalistic malpractice. The NYT did the same thing.

The Clinton Foundation -- which she never ran by the way -- earned a A from Charity Watch, a non-profit organization dedicated to charity watching. And despite literally millions of dollars of government investigations and countless hours of "reporting," not a single loving crime has been uncovered. So no, none of your bullshit claims here are true. Not that you care, you just want to make some smug, holier-than-thou post about "liberals" and some Clinton hate for good measure.

But, what the gently caress ever. You're a lovely troll who gets off on this dumb kind attempt at smug-superiority and low-quality bullshit.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 6, 2016

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dexo posted:

20mil AND a public apology. they must be shaking in their boots

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Night10194 posted:

The health bullshit is the birtherism of this election. It's 'Isn't she just so frail and weak seeming? Can you possibly vote for someone so female?' in coded language.

It's pretty sickening. Americans will vote for non-white males, but they seem to always grasp at every possible reason not to before doing so. Meanwhile, you have a man like Trump who is older, released a bogus medical letter, is clearly overweight, and, by his own admission, sleeps four hours a night. Why are we not analyzing his health?

And I've said this in other posts but the point remains. The office of the vice presidency is a thing that exists. If a president dies, the country does not collapse. We have a replacement lined up pretty quickly, and I am sure Tim Kaine would do fine. Certainly better than Trump.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

icantfindaname posted:

If Hillary doesn't want to be scrutinized she probably shouldn't have run her foundation in such a blatantly shady looking way, whether it was actually shady or not.
Are you saying she was asking for it?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/773014485346848768

Well that didn't take long she's not even president yet

Lightning Knight posted:

The Washington Times is a hard-right fringe rag nobody reads.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

This is dumb, but *checks poster* not shocking.

It's also the correct position to have, not that people like you care.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Luigi Thirty posted:

IIRC this isn't new, I'm pretty sure that's been her position for a while now.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Forgall posted:

Are you saying she was asking for it?

Is it possible for anyone to criticize Hillary for any reason, without being a sexist?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Is it possible for anyone to criticize Hillary for any reason, without being a sexist?

It would help if you actually had a critique that was accurate, it would help a lot.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

botany posted:

20mil AND a public apology. they must be shaking in their boots

I think the Murdoch Sons really don't have any loyalty to Ailes that their dad did and want the old fucker out and buried ASAP. This is just their chance. Being ruthless and quick like this gives their best chance to throw the fat, paranoid rear end in a top hat under the bus and say "Look, we're totally taking Fox in a new direction!" to distract from how little they change (I have no insider information on Fox's plans, I just assume the worst out of everyone). It also, as mentioned, keeps the discussion private so we don't get to see how much of the sexist atmosphere was just Ailes and how much was the entire management as a whole.

Though it also looks like Ailes ain't too happy about the whole thing because Fox did most of the negotiating and told him/his team to sit down and shut up. The end of the Vanity Fair article mentions Ailes might be starting to raise a stink, which might ruin the Murdoch Sons' plans to keep this quick, quiet and clean.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't get what she's supposed to say about her "health," anyway.

"I had a loving coughing fit? Okay. I have allergies. The guy from CNN had on cologne that bothered me."

:lol: This would be more impactful if they'd turned up anything after literal years of probing. I am a big fan of the free press, and I am willing to wager I can talk, in way more detail than the known-bad-faith-concern-troll poster about media ethics in reporting and how investigative reporting works.

The point isn't that them doing due diligence is bad -- it's that they're being willfully dishonest about their reporting. The AP's BIG LEDE for their investigation was outright false. Like it was literal journalistic malpractice. The NYT did the same thing.

The Clinton Foundation -- which she never ran by the way -- earned a A from Charity Watch, a non-profit organization dedicated to charity watching. And despite literally millions of dollars of government investigations and countless hours of "reporting," not a single loving crime has been uncovered. So no, none of your bullshit claims here are true. Not that you care, you just want to make some smug, holier-than-thou post about "liberals" and some Clinton hate for good measure.

But, what the gently caress ever. You're a lovely troll who gets off on this dumb kind attempt at smug-superiority and low-quality bullshit.

OK but Trump is winning now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Her official position has always been to support a $12 minimum wage, but that she also "supports the workers in NYC and other places in the Fight for 15 movement" which doesn't actually commit her to a national $15 min, but is a vague support for the concept.

Basically, Hillary.txt

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Petr posted:

No, he had a lead in a single CNN poll. This isn't real hard to grasp folks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/09/greta-van-susteran-bolts-fox-news-right-after-20-million-gretchen-carlson-settlement-announced/

quote:

In its official announcement, Fox News didn’t mention any reason for Van Susteren’s decision to leave — instead, it mostly discussed the qualifications of Brit Hume, who will be taking over for Carlson during the network’s 7 p.m. EST time slot.

“We are grateful for Greta’s many contributions over the years and wish her continued success,” Fox News’s co-presidents said in their official statement.

While we don’t know anything about Van Susteren’s reasons for leaving, the announcement of her departure came just minutes after Fox announced that it had settled a sexual harassment lawsuit with former host Gretchen Carlson for a whopping $20 million.

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K dude.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Petr posted:

Trump is only ahead in a few individual polls. The aggregate is still in Clinton's favor. And even then, the battleground states are still way in her favor.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Luigi Thirty posted:

This has always been her position and even the State of Oregon agrees that it's a good plan.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's also the correct position to have, not that people like you care.

lol

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

It is. There's lots of economic evidence that a $15/hr min/wage nationally isn't a good idea.

But I guess this makes me some traitor to progressive-liberalism and basically a republican or something. Or I am just saying that to defend Hillary or something (despite having that position since "fight for $15" arbitrarily decided for the left that it was the number we were going 'fight for,' absent of any economic data to support it, but you know, details.)

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 6, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It would help if you actually had a critique that was accurate, it would help a lot.

Look man, we just FEEL like Hillary has to be bad.

Honestly, I'm at the point where if they can't get anything solid to nail her down with after 25 years she's either genuinely more trustworthy than most people think or she's such an incredible criminal mastermind that gently caress it, bring on Supervillain Hilldawg for pres, we can't stop her anyway.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well, the fact that she apparently lied about supporting a $15 wage, for one?

I'd be one thing if the centrist wing acknowledged the legitimacy of having different opinions than the leadership. But they don't, and literally melt down when called out on poo poo like this

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It is. There's lots of economic evidence that a $15/hr min/wage nationally isn't a good idea.

But I guess this makes me some traitor to progressive-liberalism and basically a republican or something.

I'd like to see some of that?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

But I guess this makes me some traitor to progressive-liberalism and basically a republican or something.

No, it makes you a tantrum-throwing baby that can't deal with people disagreeing with him and calling him out on open lies

And BTW, you didn't answer the question about whether you can criticize Hillary without being a sexist

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

She didn't.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

I'd be one thing if the centrist wing acknowledged the legitimacy of having different opinions than the leadership. But they don't, and literally melt down when called out on poo poo like this

She didn't.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Why is the extra $3 the breaking point? If a place can't handle a $15/hr minimum, why can they handle a $12/hr one?

And if they can handle a $12/hr minimum wage, why don't we keep trying to increase it over time until we see negative affects?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Alkydere posted:

Though it also looks like Ailes ain't too happy about the whole thing because Fox did most of the negotiating and told him/his team to sit down and shut up. The end of the Vanity Fair article mentions Ailes might be starting to raise a stink, which might ruin the Murdoch Sons' plans to keep this quick, quiet and clean.

He does seem like the kind of bull-headed idiot that would go ahead and sue NYM even after the news of the settlement breaking.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 6, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

She purposefully walked a razor's edge rhetorically to avoid taking a strong position either way. But the basic problem remains, that Hillary people literally cannot deal with anything other than complete loyalty and party line-toeing, and throw a screaming baby tantrum at anything else

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

I'd like to see some of that?

Here's just some quick data on where economists generally are on $15/hr nationally: https://www.epionline.org/studies/survey-of-us-economists-on-a-15-federal-minimum-wage/

icantfindaname posted:

She purposefully walked a razor's edge rhetorically to avoid taking a strong position either way. But the basic problem remains, that Hillary people literally cannot deal with anything other than complete loyalty and party line-toeing, and throw a screaming baby tantrum at anything else

Except for the criticism I get annoyed with is all completely stupid bullshit? I am perfectly willing to hear valid criticism, and if fact have offered some of my own. But again, you never seem to admit that happens because as I posted earlier, you're only interested in being holier-than-thou.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 6, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
A quick Google revealed to me that Clinton has been supporting $12/hr since at least February 12, and it was a point of contention during the primary against Sanders, who of course supports $15/hr.

quote:

As president, I will work to raise the federal minimum wage back to the highest level it’s ever been — $12 an hour in today’s dollars — and support state and local efforts to go even further. Across the country, thousands of low-income workers, with the support of SEIU and others, have come together to fight for $15 an hour and the right to form a union. I strongly support those efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WampaLord posted:

Why is the extra $3 the breaking point? If a place can't handle a $15/hr minimum, why can they handle a $12/hr one?

And if they can handle a $12/hr minimum wage, why don't we keep trying to increase it over time until we see negative affects?

The basic idea is that cost of living in different areas necessitates a different minimum wage. This is not really a controversial statement, and in fact is one that's been espoused in D&D quite frequently (e.g., "cities cost more to live in so minimum wage should be higher too").

Also keep in mind a $3 difference at that level is 25% COL adjustment. That's pretty significant, much more than your normal COLA.

• Locked thread