Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The top one seems to have been deleted or is a bad link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

FOX SETTLES WITH GRETCHEN CARLSON FOR $20 MILLION—AND IS EXPECTED TO OFFER AN UNPRECEDENTED APOLOGY

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/09/fox-news-settles-with-gretchen-carlson-for-20-million?mbid=social_facebook

Bless her.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

So generally being terrified and unable to handle it unless they've had training? And even then sucking at it?

A Good Tweet.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Who What Now posted:

I'm glad that old hag is dead. The world is a better place without her and I feel no shame celebrating her demise.

It's a trick. Get an axe.

Seriously, I usually feel bad when someone passes, and worse for dancing on their grave. But Phyllis deserves every fuckin' tap on her headstone, and then some. She should be buried in a septic system, so she can remain in death what she had dedicated her life to being.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

guess who's gone now

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/773153622326710272

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So, complaining, complaining and brain damage?

Meanwhile, in female contact sports and male non-contact sports.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

RareAcumen posted:

So, complaining, complaining and brain damage?

Meanwhile, in female contact sports and male non-contact sports.

to be fair thats mostly just soccer players being babies

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Quotes of Mrs Schafly

Non-criminal sexual harassment on the job is not a problem for the virtuous woman except in the rarest of cases.

The atomic bomb is a marvelous gift that was given to our country by a wise God.

ERA means abortion funding, means homosexual privileges, means whatever else.

Men should stop treating feminists like ladies, and instead treat them like the men they say they want to be.

Every country that has experimented with women in actual combat has abandoned the idea, and the notion that Israel uses women in combat is a feminist myth.
People forget that she killed the ERA by merely alleging that it would allow men to go into women's bathrooms freely (sound familiar?) and opposed laws that made marital rape illegal by saying basically that you are a bad wife if you don't let your husband bang you at any time

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

At the mercy, the mockery and contempt of other, more privileged men?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I would be so amazed if the Murdoch Bros managed to pull an Otis Chadler on Fox News and turn it into an actually decent news channel.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah there's the women's world cup a few back where the Brazilian player just decides to flop for no real reason since no one was around her (needed to eat up some clock time) until she is taken off in a stretcher and then after they remove her from the field she undoes the straps and hops off. It's the sport not the gender.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Radish posted:

Yeah there's the women's world cup a few back where the Brazilian player just decides to flop for no real reason since no one was around her (needed to eat up some clock time) until she is taken off in a stretcher and then after they remove her from the field she undoes the straps and hops off. It's the sport not the gender.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh my god, people have to stop quoting that gif of the hockey player.

:gonk:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Not just soccer. Lebroning is a thing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

I would be so amazed if the Murdoch Bros managed to pull an Otis Chadler on Fox News and turn it into an actually decent news channel.

Nah, James Murdoch is further right-wing than his ol' dad. Only difference between the two is Jimmy-boy loves environmentalism and strongly believes in countering climate change (probably because he'll live long enough to regret it otherwise).

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I don't really get why they do that in Soccer. Is it just to take a quick break since they spend so long running around without breaks? Or something else?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stallion Cabana posted:

I don't really get why they do that in Soccer. Is it just to take a quick break since they spend so long running around without breaks? Or something else?

There's only one referee so they have to get their attention in a dramatic manner.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Stallion Cabana posted:

It's genuinely about trying to get the referee to give them a free kick. It's shameless as gently caress and I hate every person who does it.

computer parts posted:

There's only one referee so they have to get their attention in a dramatic manner.

Well, technically there's 2 - one off pitch, 4 if you count the linesmen.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Stallion Cabana posted:

Despite mocking it, its an artifact of the rules and playing at the highest level. they way they enforce penalties and such encourages it, and when you are playing for millions of dollars, you will use every tool available to win, because if you don't someone else will.

They are just as many stories of soccer players breaking bones and finishing games as there are from other sports. Dudes in hockey take dives too, though since especially blatant ones can be penalized themselves, its normally when something is technically illegal, and the player is trying to get the ref to see it.

like yeah, that stick slap is breaking the rules, but he is no way whacked him that hard considering there is a rigid pad there.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

It's genuinely about trying to get the referee to give them a free kick. It's shameless as gently caress and I hate every person who does it.

Well, technically there's 2 - one off pitch, 4 if you count the linesmen.

See Christian Ronaldo for someone who abuses this a lot.
There are a poo poo load others, but his are mostly blatant dives.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

If you look at the two sports with the most flopping, which are soccer and basketball, they both have similar histories.

Initially, rules let a lot of contact go. So a bunch of players make it to the top level without having any discernible skill other than mauling people. This not only slows the game down and makes it unattractive, but it also would put the health of top players at risk. You had stuff like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-GXji_nR1U

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z41cCdxSKdE

For a very long time, for example, Brazil would do well in global competitions but always lose in South American ones because Argentina and Uruguay would beat the crap out of them. As a result of this, a bunch of rules have been put in place to protect to the skilled players. But a side effect of this is that it has become more advantageous to fake a foul in a number of situations than it is to just play on.

If you can fake being taken down by the goal keeper and not only get a PK, but also get the goal keeper red carded, it becomes strategic to try to fake the foul. It is a balancing act that is hard to maintain, as in the interest of more scoring both soccer and basketball associations will keep siding with the skill players.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

computer parts posted:

Yeah it makes sense when you learn that.

Honestly a lot of soccer problems seem easily solvable but people involved don't seem to want things changed because of the Soul of the game or whatever. I only watch every two years though so my opinion doesn't really matter if actual fans like it how it is.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

joepinetree posted:

If you look at the two sports with the most flopping, which are soccer and basketball, they both have similar histories.

Initially, rules let a lot of contact go. So a bunch of players make it to the top level without having any discernible skill other than mauling people. This not only slows the game down and makes it unattractive, but it also would put the health of top players at risk. You had stuff like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-GXji_nR1U

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z41cCdxSKdE

For a very long time, for example, Brazil would do well in global competitions but always lose in South American ones because Argentina and Uruguay would beat the crap out of them. As a result of this, a bunch of rules have been put in place to protect to the skilled players. But a side effect of this is that it has become more advantageous to fake a foul in a number of situations than it is to just play on.

If you can fake being taken down by the goal keeper and not only get a PK, but also get the goal keeper red carded, it becomes strategic to try to fake the foul. It is a balancing act that is hard to maintain, as in the interest of more scoring both soccer and basketball associations will keep siding with the skill players.

A great training video on this topic was produced in 2004. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdOEhkPwaeA

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Radish posted:

Yeah it makes sense when you learn that.

Honestly a lot of soccer problems seem easily solvable but people involved don't seem to want things changed because of the Soul of the game or whatever. I only watch every two years though so my opinion doesn't really matter if actual fans like it how it is.

I went from watching every match for my team to not watching football except for the World/Euro because that pathetic diving bullshit just made me hate everyone involved.

Lower divisions have less of it but they also have little television coverage and I'm not travelling half-way up the country for Whocares FC.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Maybe you flopping dweebs could start talking about anime again.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

in non-flopping talk

yep

https://twitter.com/kyletblaine/status/773183654096936960

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Low scoring big matches can get decided by either a free-kick, a penalty or a player being send off.

So there's a real incentive to overreact to get any of these three things.
Hell you can overreact to get a guy pissed off so much he actually fouls you.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Ding dong the witch is dead

I hate hearing that every time a political woman dies. Even if I hate her views.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Glenn Beck's latest conspiracy theory is apparently that if Hillary wins, because the Dems hate her so much, they will quickly impeach her and force her to resign because of the Clinton Foundation, and then Kaine will become president. He also said if she was up against Marco Rubio she'd be losing by 20 points in the polls.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Well this certainly explains his twitter posts. He's permanently on his Manstral cycle and won't loving stop hearing from Uncle Flow.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

Not just soccer. Lebroning is a thing.

Weird way to spell "Caming"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Man accompanies woman to OBGYN

Horror

https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/773154085113569281

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

What is noted shithead crowder doing at an OBGYN? Tell me he's dressed as a woman

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

His wife took the photo I think

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

His wife took the photo I think

Yeah, there's like zero % chance of that being true.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Iron Crowned posted:

What is noted shithead crowder doing at an OBGYN? Tell me he's dressed as a woman

Weirdo dresses as woman to stalk couple at OBGYN. When confronted, man will only identify as Steven's Wife.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Someone needs a safe space

https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/773175496775438336

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Isn't faking injuries to get foul shots a major strategy in soccer?

E:f,b so many times.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jurgan posted:

Isn't faking injuries to get foul shots a major strategy in soccer?

yeah as i acknowledged later.

they still babies tho