Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

those graphs are part of full meta reports you can find on the front page of overbuff. there isn't a new one yet since the patch isn't even a week old but I'm sure one will be coming soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I just had a comp match on Anubis where it was only for the first point. Is that normal? That seems kinda weird, I don't know why it would only do half the map.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Grapplejack posted:

I just had a comp match on Anubis where it was only for the first point. Is that normal? That seems kinda weird, I don't know why it would only do half the map.

If the first attacking team never caps the first point, then the second attacking team only has to cap first to make it a 1-0 win.

Unless you're saying that the first team only had to cap first, which would just be weird and probably a bug.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gimnbo posted:

If the first attacking team never caps the first point, then the second attacking team only has to cap first to make it a 1-0 win.

Unless you're saying that the first team only had to cap first, which would just be weird and probably a bug.

Yeah, both teams only capped the first point. It was really weird, no one knew what was happening.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so it just ended after capping the first point? no time extension?

I remember in season 1, if you ran out of time in overtime after capping the first point, the round would end because you don't get an extension in timebank once you've used everything in your bank. tho that wouldn't happen in your first round

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah, both teams only capped the first point. It was really weird, no one knew what was happening.

Did you run out of time and draw?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ImPureAwesome posted:

Did you run out of time and draw?

No, we capped faster than they did and we won.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Are you sure they actually capped the first point? Because it seems a lot more likely that, say, they killed most of your team but didn't actually get the point in overtime, and then your team capped the first point for the win.

Stopwatch wins literally do not exist in this game.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Night Blade posted:

+ Coin flip is gone
+ Some nice character adjustments

- Eichenwald has two chokepoints that are completely ridiculous 1
- Mei's ult charges way too fast, and cant be cancelled or blocked 2
- It's a bit early to say, but it feels like there's a lot of variety of players in Platinum to the point where one game, it'll be a hard won, well calculated game, and the other game, one team will stand on a point as a convenient group of 6, and the other team will charge at them all in a straight line mindlessly popping ults until the game ends.
- gently caress Mei 3
- KOTH comp matches should be best of 3, not 5. 4
- gently caress Mei

1: I've only managed to play Eichenwald once, on attack, but yeah. That choke point as your approach the castle doors with the payload is ridiculous. Between a Zen/Torb playing the back field by the gate, a Mei/Zarya playing the mid-to-close range defense and Pharah playing mid-long with a Tracer coming behind us to pick off healers, we couldn't move more than 10 or so meters without getting absolutely pummeled. This was solo QP as well so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.

2: gently caress Mei.
3: gently caress Mei, I agree.
4: I absolutely agree. Coupled with a big "gently caress mei" in there from my Comp placement match last night where we went 2/0 in the first two rounds but then one of their guys switched to Mei and my solo-comp twat teammates, who couldn't be bothered to come into team voice from their 2 and 3 man group voice channels, completely balked every time she appeared on screen until we ultimately lost, 2/3.

gently caress Mei.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jabor posted:

Are you sure they actually capped the first point? Because it seems a lot more likely that, say, they killed most of your team but didn't actually get the point in overtime, and then your team capped the first point for the win.

Stopwatch wins literally do not exist in this game.

It's possible that's what happened and I just missed it. It was a super hectic fight at the end.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Trast posted:

Awhile back I saw a graph showing what characters are being played with which frequency in competitive play. Is there an updated one?

new one just came up!

https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-09-06-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-season-2-meta-boogaloo

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
No S Tier?!

Notmymeta

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

drat I need to get good at McCree

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
drat 3x3 sounds fun

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

I was thinking Ana could use a buff but the 3X3 nips that in the bud.
Still I'd like her heal to be able to travel through targets so the full-health Roadhog doesn't block my clutch heal to the Reaper/Tracer in front of him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

reading that, I think he's absolutely right about pharah only having a brief resurgence. yea, discord got nerfed, but it's still a huge deal for pharah. mccree shuts her down too hard at that level (hell, soldier and hanzo have made some inroads as well, which hurts pharah even more) and I just can't imagine teams sticking with her for much longer. she might show up on occasion to punish a team that doesn't have a mccree I guess

wonder if they'll change something for her or the heroes that are still languishing at the very bottom, like poor old symmetra

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They've got a handful of heroes who straddle the divide between healer and damage (S76, lucio, ana, zenyatta) but nothing that crosses over between healer and tank. I kind of wonder if they are trying to work that blend out or if they look at it and decide it's impossible to balance the necessary vulnerability of a healer against the necessary resilience of a tank.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

LCL-Dead posted:

1: I've only managed to play Eichenwald once, on attack, but yeah. That choke point as your approach the castle doors with the payload is ridiculous. Between a Zen/Torb playing the back field by the gate, a Mei/Zarya playing the mid-to-close range defense and Pharah playing mid-long with a Tracer coming behind us to pick off healers, we couldn't move more than 10 or so meters without getting absolutely pummeled. This was solo QP as well so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.

That's actually the most offense friendly part of the map, there are multiple flanks on both sides that are accessible to all characters. You can go outside the castle ruins on the far right or through the castle ruins (both of which let you either flank completely behind or claim the high ground above the bridge) or you can go around on the left of the bridge and come out in a couple different spots. The really bad chokes on that map are the first point (where only a few characters have flanking routes) and once the payload is inside the castle.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

I hope this list convinces people not every team needs hanzo and junkrat.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Kashuno posted:

I hope this list convinces people not every team needs hanzo and junkrat.

That list is released every week. It didn't convince anyone before. If anything they will notice hanjo got a usage buff.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wonder if seeing Symmetra not get pick at all for Competitive will get her changed. I play her in quick play a lot, and she fun when things are working right, but she still a niche character. And after a certain point she can't get any turrets up anymore as they die too quickly. Shame, since her mouse 1 laser it catches them off guard will generally wipe the non-tanks in seconds.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

FAUXTON posted:

They've got a handful of heroes who straddle the divide between healer and damage (S76, lucio, ana, zenyatta) but nothing that crosses over between healer and tank. I kind of wonder if they are trying to work that blend out or if they look at it and decide it's impossible to balance the necessary vulnerability of a healer against the necessary resilience of a tank.

Technically tanks count as a healer type by preventing/mitigating damage in the first place, and damage prevented is superior to damage healed. Roadhog really doesn't factor into being a true tank, he's DPS and intended to get the picks to swing a fight into a teamkill, which is why he has such a large HP pool and self-sustain.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Rirse posted:

Wonder if seeing Symmetra not get pick at all for Competitive will get her changed. I play her in quick play a lot, and she fun when things are working right, but she still a niche character. And after a certain point she can't get any turrets up anymore as they die too quickly. Shame, since her mouse 1 laser it catches them off guard will generally wipe the non-tanks in seconds.
Hopefully! The weird place Symmetra is in feels like it's just down to there being relatively little place for a niche support hero when you'd really rather have two dedicated healers rather than one a a +25 health buff. If you run two healers and Symmetra, you're probably dropping an offense hero for her, which is also less than ideal.

Hopefully a niche is found for her but it might require a substantial character rework first (maybe a new E).

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Manatee Cannon posted:

reading that, I think he's absolutely right about pharah only having a brief resurgence. yea, discord got nerfed, but it's still a huge deal for pharah. mccree shuts her down too hard at that level (hell, soldier and hanzo have made some inroads as well, which hurts pharah even more) and I just can't imagine teams sticking with her for much longer. she might show up on occasion to punish a team that doesn't have a mccree I guess

wonder if they'll change something for her or the heroes that are still languishing at the very bottom, like poor old symmetra

Her core ability simply leaves her too vulnerable. A floating, slow moving, above cover, character is a dead character. Even grounded her ultimate leaves her as a giant stationary target. She's still fun and I like the character design, plus years of playing Quake means I can direct rocket hit all day long, and her missile that bounces people around is great. But the fact remains that two of her abilities are going to get her killed.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How much would symmetra's shield need to be to be worth

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Kashuno posted:

How much would symmetra's shield need to be to be worth

Her entire shield ability was garbage from the start. +25 hp isn't much but +50 is too much when it'd added to the likes of Tracer and Genji. But apart from the issues balancing it, the ability's biggest sin is that it's boring. There's no skill involved, no clutch timing you can pull off. It's just whack-a-mole where you press E at your team at the start and then press E some more whenever someone dies. Honestly at this point I think the only way to properly improve Symmetra would be to completely rework her abilities that aren't M1 and M2.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Make it 200HP that decays over x seconds with a cooldown imo

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
As I do progressively worse my allies get progressively more Korean. Voice channel is full of people yammering in Korean and I can't understand any of them :mad:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Wow!!!

Genji is still perfectly fine!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the vigor with which people call out bad, uninformed opinions was one of the things that convinced me to shell out :tenbux: for SA in the first place, so yes, hopefully

even if the bad and uninformed opinions are mine, for that matter -- but predicting the effect of that nerf if it goes live unchanged is basically the easiest bet in gaming history so i'm not too worried

Whoa!!!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

gg ez

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Kashuno posted:

Maybe they should make it more of a barrier that just eats 200 hp worth of damage that wears off after like 2 seconds. Also it should power up your gun.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kashuno posted:

Her niche could be the only healer that can TF2-style overheal in shields.

But Blizzard is more interested in reiterating Mcree for the umpteenth time.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Every time I get a POTG as Mei my team and the enemy team shits on me in the all chat. Yeah I missed half my icicles but I also killed four of you ... so.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Something simple I'd like to see with Symmetra is to remove the insane slowdown she gets as she places a turret. I don't know why it's there, would she be so broken if she moved at normal speed while placing them?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
take away Symettra's ult and give her a cooldown ability that teleports a teamate to her position like reverse mercy

then her ult can spawn a walking eye like a big version of her turrets with legs

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

JackDarko posted:

Every time I get a POTG as Mei my team and the enemy team shits on me in the all chat. Yeah I missed half my icicles but I also killed four of you ... so.

The character is fairly hated. She's just not fun to play against. Win or lose doesn't matter, the Mei being good or bad doesn't matter, the freeze mechanic and ult are just obnoxious as all hell and make moments of the match incredibly un fun. Watching a Mei POTG is just rubbing salt in the wound that even if you won, the game wasn't all that fun.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
As time progresses I feel as if I'm the only person who doesn't hate Mei. I like playing as her and I don't mind playing against her. The only heroes I hate playing against are McCree and Reaper. McCree's gun is a better sniper rifle than the sniper character and Reaper's ult makes me irate. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing or who I am or how I react it always kills me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

That statement predated them rolling back the projectile nerf, which, while also an incredibly stupid decision, significantly softened the Genji nerf by making his shurikens more effective.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i cant help but laugh when im rein, get stupidly frozen by Mei (it's always my own fault) and then survive the 4 headshots she tries while im immobile. even in comp, when i guess i should be seething, it cracks me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
One of the funniest things to do to a Mei that has frozen a target is to start jumping around between her and her target's head while attacking her.