Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Who besides CBS and HBO? I can't think of any.

Showtime and Starz are two others that can be ordered 100% standalone. ESPN just announced OTT content today (though, in all fairness, it's going to be different content than the station.)

There are a few others that are add-ons for Prime that may not be direct station analogs, but have a lot of the content.

Seeso
Lifetime Movie Club
History Vault
Comedy Central Standp
Smithsonian Earth

Things are growing all the time. Personally, I'm more of a fan of the add-on sub model since it's easier to subscribe and unsubscribe based on when there's content you want to watch. Also, places like Amazon actually have the infrastructure to deliver streaming well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

blugu64 posted:

Can't you DVR it on vue/sling?

They're not broadcasting it. They're using it to push CBS All Access.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Guess I'm going back to Sling for my RedZone fix.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/08/sling-tv-will-stream-football-games-via-nfl-network-and-nfl-redzone/

quote:

Sling TV announced a much-anticipated pair of new channels to its TV streaming lineup. The company has added the NFL Network and NFL RedZone to its offerings; Sling Blue customers will automatically receive the NFL Network, and those who want NFL RedZone can pay an extra $5 per month for the add-on "Sports Extra" package.

Those who have Sling Blue pay $25 per month, and there's no doubt that adding the NFL Network as standard in that lineup will make some existing customers very happy (and likely entice new customers). In addition to watching on Sling TV, the press release says that customers will also have access to NFL content on Watch NFL Network through NFL.com and the NFL app.

If Vue comes in at the same price though, I'd be really tempted to go that way instead.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

Silly Burrito posted:

Guess I'm going back to Sling for my RedZone fix.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/08/sling-tv-will-stream-football-games-via-nfl-network-and-nfl-redzone/

If Vue comes in at the same price though, I'd be really tempted to go that way instead.

I started with Sling, moved to Vue for 6 months or so, and am back doing a 7 day trial with Sling to figure out which one I want to keep. So far, it looks like Vue has the better picture quality? I only know that PS Vue was running at about 5.2 mb/s and Sling is at 3.7 mb/s. I can't tell which one is going to be better overall for college/pro football when Vue gets NFLN and Redzone.

The part that is really lame about Sling though is subscribing to HBO does not give you Go or Now access....can't really figure out why.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I just want to pay the NFL to let me stream my team's games live. Is that too much to ask? I can't watch them on antenna because I live 2500 miles away. I don't want to buy the whole DirecTV. I don't want to watch the games later that day on replay. I don't really want to sign up and watch through a proxy.

torturemyballs posted:

I started with Sling, moved to Vue for 6 months or so, and am back doing a 7 day trial with Sling to figure out which one I want to keep. So far, it looks like Vue has the better picture quality? I only know that PS Vue was running at about 5.2 mb/s and Sling is at 3.7 mb/s. I can't tell which one is going to be better overall for college/pro football when Vue gets NFLN and Redzone.

The part that is really lame about Sling though is subscribing to HBO does not give you Go or Now access....can't really figure out why.

Just get HBO Now on its own, it's the same price.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

I just want to pay the NFL to let me stream my team's games live. Is that too much to ask? I can't watch them on antenna because I live 2500 miles away. I don't want to buy the whole DirecTV. I don't want to watch the games later that day on replay. I don't really want to sign up and watch through a proxy.

Just get HBO Now on its own, it's the same price.

The only benefit to doing HBO through Sling is that it's integrated in the interface/one less app - and given the state of Slings interface I kind of view that as a non-benefit.

Otherwise it's a terrible deal. HBO Now standalone is better.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Been using Vue now for a few weeks. Compared to Dish, which I had before, the picture quality is nowhere near as nice, which is a huge bummer.

Also, using it on a Fire TV blows goats. It's so convoluted to get the drat guide up and there's no consistency with it. Sometimes pressing the last button brings up the guide, sometimes it goes back a channel, sometimes it brings up a menu. Same goes for most of the buttons, sometimes holding it down does one thing but other times it does something else.

I may just go back to Dish after this month is up. Yeah it's half the price of Dish, but I'm just not impressed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FogHelmut posted:

NFL and DirectTV's contract was renewed in 2014, and runs through 2022. Pay the man.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

MrYenko posted:

NFL and DirectTV's contract was renewed in 2014, and runs through 2022. Pay the man.

AT&T/DirecTV will keep paying whatever the NFL wants for that poo poo. Selling Sunday Ticket to bars makes them so. much. money.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

FogHelmut posted:

Last year, I bought NFL game pass through AdFree-Time paying in Brazilian currency, and had no problems. AFT is a DNS spoofer, not a proxy. I haven't tried it yet this year, though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Luceo posted:

Last year, I bought NFL game pass through AdFree-Time paying in Brazilian currency, and had no problems. AFT is a DNS spoofer, not a proxy. I haven't tried it yet this year, though.

Can I spoof my DNS on my FireTV? I'm not sitting at my computer like a bitch or finding a really long HDMI cable.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Can I spoof my DNS on my FireTV? I'm not sitting at my computer like a bitch or finding a really long HDMI cable.

I can't remember if the FireTV has discreet DNS server settings, but if not, you can always put AFT's DNS in on your router.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
If you manually configure your FireTV's network you can specify DNS servers. If that works for AFT (not sure how it knows you are a paying user?) then you should be good to go.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ixian posted:

If you manually configure your FireTV's network you can specify DNS servers. If that works for AFT (not sure how it knows you are a paying user?) then you should be good to go.

If it works like unblock-us, it looks at your IP address and matches it to the one you used to log into the website. If your IP changes, it won't work again until you log back into the site with your new IP.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

HEY NONG MAN posted:

If it works like unblock-us, it looks at your IP address and matches it to the one you used to log into the website. If your IP changes, it won't work again until you log back into the site with your new IP.

Yep, that's how it works. It does seem to have some sort of grace period where it lets you use it anyway if your IP changes, since I don't always notice it immediately and my DNS has never stopped working.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Is there a spreadsheet/Google Docs that compares the channels between Sling Blue, Sling Orange and Playstation Vue's three lineups anywhere that has current information? The only ones I see seem to have outdated information by months.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Silly Burrito posted:

Is there a spreadsheet/Google Docs that compares the channels between Sling Blue, Sling Orange and Playstation Vue's three lineups anywhere that has current information? The only ones I see seem to have outdated information by months.

Here is one I put together. It's on the second sheet.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

CygnusTM posted:

Perfect, thank you!

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

CygnusTM posted:

Thanks yo!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
After being given the run around by comcast (they'd substantially reduced my price if I sign up for triple play, but without telling me triple play requires me to activate the voice portion, which in turn requires me to lease their modem, etc), I am at the point of cutting the cord. Given the channel line ups, vue seems like the best option for me. It's price combined with internet would be the same as the triple play I was offered above, minus the need to constantly have to call to get a good deal and the upsale of stuff like having to activate the phone line with their modem. Which brings me to my question:

The one thing a lot of people seem to complain about Vue is the interface, especially with roku. Is there a device where the interface is better for vue? Also, I travel a lot. Does vue have a way where I can stream stuff to my laptop away from home? I've read conflicting reports (some places say no, others say that I can use vue to sign up directly at the channel I want to watch).

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I think that spreadsheet listed above will tell you which sites can be streamed from their website.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Is Sling TV better then it use to be? When I tried it last year it was awfully unreliable, would error and crash all the time and the picture quality was not great.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

Is Sling TV better then it use to be? When I tried it last year it was awfully unreliable, would error and crash all the time and the picture quality was not great.

Someone reported in the last couple pages, that it was improved.

I got my "your cable bundle is expiring, call us to resuscribe!" postcard yesterday, so I'll be able to review it soon. Even if it sucks, I'll probably keep it during college football season, just for the watchespn sign-in

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

Rad Valtar posted:

I get more consistent streaming with Sling than with Vue......I use Sling on a Roku 3 and Vue on a PS4. Sling streaming rate is generally lower though.

e: Vue finally got Redzone and NFLN today, I bit the bullet and went back to Vue ultimately after using both for a month.

torturemyballs fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 26, 2016

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
The biggest difference is Sling is streaming only, Vue has a cloud DVR, while Sling has limited OnDemand Vue gives you access to most of the streaming/on demand apps along with on demand.

That makes it a no-brainer to me, most of the reason I wanted to cord cut is not to be tied to TV and it's schedule/location.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Three Olives posted:

The biggest difference is Sling is streaming only, Vue has a cloud DVR, while Sling has limited OnDemand Vue gives you access to most of the streaming/on demand apps along with on demand.

That makes it a no-brainer to me, most of the reason I wanted to cord cut is not to be tied to TV and it's schedule/location.

Vue's cloud dvr is by far the most amazing thimg ever. Everything I used to watch on Hulu Plus I'm DVRing to skip commercials.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Just note if you are going to use Vue, you need to set up a profile on an approved device before you can stream anything. I think their approved devices are playstation (obviously), roku, or fire tv.

I tried to do the Vue free trial on my phone/laptop with a chromecast and I was out of luck.

I ended up buying a Roku 2 to use with Sling TV because it was not working too well on my Gen 1 chromecast.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I have my friends ATT cable login info. I havent purchased any streaming devices or anything. Ive googled around but cant find any concrete helpful info. What device (roku etc) or other solution can I use to exploit having that login info and watch a bunch of free cable?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Cable companies loving hate you, so you get to log in to about 1000 individual websites/apps in order to get access to streaming content. Oh, and you'll probably get logged out every other day and have to do it all over again. Apple is trying to push their Single Sign On, which is in the latest Apple TV, but it doesn't work with a ton of providers yet. Because cable companies loving hate you.

You want to look for "TV Everywhere" apps to use your login with, here's a decent list from Comcast: http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/online-tv-through-partner-sites/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Is there still a uverse app? You could use that

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

Is there still a uverse app? You could use that

There's a uverse app for Xbox one and tablets/smartphones, not anything else.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Nifty posted:

I have my friends ATT cable login info. I havent purchased any streaming devices or anything. Ive googled around but cant find any concrete helpful info. What device (roku etc) or other solution can I use to exploit having that login info and watch a bunch of free cable?

There's tons of channel apps on both the roku and the fire stick. You do have to sign into each and every one and it's annoying but I've only had to relink the apps maybe once every few weeks? On some of them I don't think I've ever had to? I'm not sure if it'd be more often as I mostly stick with Netflix/Hulu/Plex so I don't use the individual apps all that much.

Maneki Neko posted:

There's a uverse app for Xbox one and tablets/smartphones, not anything else.

The Amazon fire stick has it too. It's kind of clunky though

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
We cut cable the second week of July. We tried both Sling and PlayStation Vue but in the end decided that Sling Blue was better for us.

I was slightly disappointed that my preferred local news station was unavailable except apparently through a subscription to CBS. I limped by for a month with a different, lesser station and this past weekend, in the year 2016, installed an antenna on the side of our house.

At some point we plan on retiring our Roku 2 for a newer model but overall, it's going great.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Plex just announced a DVR program as part of their Plex Pass subscription service. Works with HDHomeRuns to record OTA programming (or cable if you've got the one that can use cablecards). The only hitch so far is you can't view a recording in process (and the small cost).

Still, worth a shot for $5 if you've got the equipment already.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just started a trial of PS Vue. Is anyone else using the official PS4 remote with it? It definitely doesn't seem to be very useful for it.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

Silly Burrito posted:

Just started a trial of PS Vue. Is anyone else using the official PS4 remote with it? It definitely doesn't seem to be very useful for it.

Yeah, some things can't be done with it at all as far as I know. I wish you could assign a button to L2 and R2 but it doesn't appear that way?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hell I'm waiting for a Logitech remote that'll control RF (my Roku and my PS3), bluetooth (my Amazon Fire) and everything else I have in my house (IR). This unicorn of monstrous proportions would probably for for $500+ however.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My Harmony already does control the devices you mention.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have all my HT gear in my basement, and I have a base logitech harmony hub with the simplest remote. The remote does RF, but not IR, which is fine, but I lost the remote. I'd like to get one of the light up ones that has a dock, but their product line is such a mess. I don't need the hub, so I figured I'd just go on eBay and get a used one, since it's going to get trashed anyways.

I think this will do it:

http://r.ebay.com/I6VbuI

but I'm not sure if the remote itself is RF or if you need the IR receiver to be to be visible, which plugs into the hub. I'd like the cheapest possible replacement, that isn't just the same tiny remote that doesn't light up or anything. Plus if the remote itself has IR on it, so it can power on my TV, since I didn't run an IR blaster from the hub back to the tv itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Croatoan posted:

Hell I'm waiting for a Logitech remote that'll control RF (my Roku and my PS3), bluetooth (my Amazon Fire) and everything else I have in my house (IR). This unicorn of monstrous proportions would probably for for $500+ however.

FWIW my Harmony Smart Control does this already and it was $99 when I bought it.

My pet peeve is that it doesn't power up my PS4 but that's due to Sony not allowing third party devices access to it. They let them power it down, just not up. Go loving figure, thanks Sony. You have to reach for a controller to turn it on which kind of defeats the purpose if you want to simply use a remote and launch some streaming apps. The real kicker is that they allow their official first party remote to do it.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 6, 2016