Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't the AP also make a fuss about the Chairmam of the Kennedy Center or some poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

icantfindaname posted:

Yes

The fact is that the factual statement that 85 of 154 people that Hillary met outside her official duties as a cabinet minister donated to her foundation, looks really, really bad, all on its own, and it's not the AP or NYT's responsibility to mitigate the implications of those facts. I'm sure there are good reasons for all of those meetings, but there might be good reasons for any activity that looks incredibly suspicious. And anyways outside of 2 of those cases, the Bangladeshi guy and the Holocaust survivor, the reasons aren't public to my knowledge. Sorry

This:

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The whole "scandal" is that she met with these 80-somethings people as part of her job too though so why does the fact that she met other people as part of her job not count again?

Also, sorry for your luck but it is the responsibility of the journalist to provide the context of their accusations.

Like that is a core part of responsible journalism. Not just asking who she met with -- but asking why those people matter and how you got to those numbers.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Didn't the AP also make a fuss about the Chairmam of the Kennedy Center or some poo poo?

Yes. She sat with the chairmen of the Kennedy Center!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Wait you seriously think Elie Wiesel is part of a pay to play scheme with the Clinton Foundation and the State Department?

I think Hillary met with Elie Wiesel outside her official State Sec duties, and that she was probably running a pay to play scheme on at least a mild level

theflyingorc posted:

...outside of her official duties? How, exactly, is that wrong?

Your accusation seems to be "she worked with a charity during her off time", please explain why that is bad

Except that the charities she met with made large contributions to her personal foundation

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The whole "scandal" is that she met with these 80-somethings people as part of her job too though so why does the fact that she met other people as part of her job not count again?

It wasn't part of her job though. Her job was to conduct official business with foreign foreign ministries

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

icantfindaname posted:

I think Hillary met with Elie Wiesel outside her official State Sec duties, and that she was probably running a pay to play scheme on at least a mild level

Except that the charities she met with made large contributions to her personal foundation

It wasn't part of her job though. Her job was to conduct official business with foreign foreign ministries

lol

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Also, sorry for your luck but it is the responsibility of the journalist to provide the context of their accusations.

Like that is a core part of responsible journalism. Not just asking who she met with -- but asking why those people matter and how you got to those numbers.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/82df550e1ec646098b434f7d5771f625/many-donors-clinton-foundation-met-her-state

quote:

The 154 did not include U.S. federal employees or foreign government representatives. Clinton met with representatives of at least 16 foreign governments that donated as much as $170 million to the Clinton charity, but they were not included in AP's calculations because such meetings would presumably have been part of her diplomatic duties.

It's the sixth paragraph of the story. And no, it's not the journo's responsibility to do damage control for Hillary Clinton's campaign

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Petr posted:

I'm gay and I know I'm staying home. Don't want to be embarrassed by voting for a clear loser who did something shady with a foundation!

No one want the furry vote.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hillary Clinton runs a charity that actually helps people.

As part of running that charity, she meets with people.

Why is this the loving da vinci code

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Bernie Bro/Trumpeter conspiracy theorists coming out of the woodwork!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lol at people thinking sec state only deals with other governments.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

icantfindaname posted:

lol

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/82df550e1ec646098b434f7d5771f625/many-donors-clinton-foundation-met-her-state

It's the sixth paragraph of the story. And no, it's not the journo's responsibility to do damage control for Hillary Clinton's campaign

That was added to the story -- also doesn't give full context; the tweet and card, which didn't link to the story did not mention it; they lede without parenthetical citation of their facts; the headline also hyped a baseless accusation.

And it is the journalists responsibility to be honest about their reporting, which they weren't.

But you've already gave your game away.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

You realize even the rest of the media thinks that is a lovely article, right?

quote:

Hillary Clinton is surrounded by suggestions of controversy. Terms like "Clinton Foundation," "email server," and "Benghazi" hover around her like a faint smoke that hints at the existence of fire.

But finding the fire -- the lie, the misdeed, the unethical act -- is proving to be rather difficult, as evidenced this week by an inaccurate tweet and arguably misleading story from the Associated Press that were quickly rebutted by the Clinton campaign and dismissed by many media outlets.

Three days later, the Associated Press is still standing by its story and has yet to correct its tweet, despite near unanimous agreement among other journalists that the tweet, at least, was false.

"The AP's social-media take on the story was seriously flawed," David Boardman, the Dean of the School of Media and Communication at Temple University and former editor of the Seattle Times, told CNNMoney. "It's sloppy, click-grabbing shorthand that is a disservice to the reporting to which it refers." [CNN.com, 8/26/16]

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Yinlock posted:

Hillary Clinton runs a charity that actually helps people.

As part of running that charity, she meets with people.

Why is this the loving da vinci code

Binow's already gone apeshit over people confusing what hat she was wearing when collecting definitely-not-bribe money, please don't. She was wearing the SecState hat for these, not the charity

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

icantfindaname posted:

Holy poo poo you're dumb.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://m.state.gov/md115194.htm

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

icantfindaname posted:

...if that's outside of her official duties, that's 100% fine?

What, exactly, is wrong about that?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Binow's already gone apeshit over people confusing what hat she was wearing when collecting definitely-not-bribe money, please don't. She was wearing the SecState hat for these, not the charity

A Winner is Jew posted:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

icantfindaname posted:

SecState Helmet. :eng101:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Christ, were you people birthers too? Stop falling for this poo poo.

Let's talk about Fox again! I only worked at the creative side of Fox, not the news side, but it has one of the most abusive corporate cultures I've ever seen. Like, I was physically assaulted by someone there (not sexual - the person got angry and tried to break my wrist by slamming it in a door) and quickly learned that person has a history of doing that but won't be fired because of some kind of litigatory mexican standoff they had with the company because someone else did something undisclosed to them.

Edit to add the kicker: When I described this situation to a colleague with a few more details added, my colleague still needed clarification on which violently abusive Fox employee retaining their position only by the threat of a countersuit I was talking about.

When the Murdoch sons took power they offered a severance package to all longtime employees, and so many people took it the last time I was on the lot the corporate offices were ghost towns. There don't seem to be any plans to replace the employees who left. They'll just run on a skeleton crew until the whole thing crashes and burns I guess.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 6, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
hillary clinton didn't drop five bucks in the tip jar at chipotle, evident and blatant proof that she's lining the pockets of her own foundation by stealing from american workers

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

You realize even the rest of the media thinks that is a lovely article, right?

That quote's interesting, because the lesson a lot of people took away from it isn't "the controversy doesn't actually exist" but "she MUST be hiding it"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

A Winner is Jew posted:

SecState Helmet. :eng101:

Does she have to wear a helmet to minimize her brain damage when she has seizures and falls? :tinfoil:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Christ, were you people birthers too? Stop falling for this poo poo.

Let's talk about Fox again! I only worked at the creative side of Fox, not the news side, but it has one of the most abusive corporate cultures I've ever seen. Like, I was physically assaulted by someone there (not sexual - the person got angry and tried to break my wrist by slamming it in a door) and quickly learned that person has a history of doing that but won't be fired because of some kind of litigatory mexican standoff they had with the company because someone else did something undisclosed to them.

When the Murdoch sons took power they offered a severance package to all longtime employees, and so many people took it the last time I was on the lot the corporate offices were ghost towns. There don't seem to be any plans to replace the employees who left. They'll just run on a skeleton crew until the whole thing crashes and burns I guess.

I'm curious if Alies is sill going to sue the gently caress out of New York Mag for reporting on it still.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm curious if Alies is sill going to sue the gently caress out of New York Mag for reporting on it still.

Given he's paying part of the settlement with Carlson, I am guessing he wants this to go away.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Y'all ever heard of the March of Dimes?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

:tipshat:

theflyingorc posted:

...if that's outside of her official duties, that's 100% fine?

What, exactly, is wrong about that?

The fact that she's a public official at the same time, and thus in a position to potentially give preferential treatment to people who give her money. Do you understand what corruption is and how it works? Here's a hint: you don't collect on favors right away, you accumulate them and trade them among your allies over time

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

icantfindaname posted:

The fact that she's a public official at the same time, and thus in a position to potentially give preferential treatment to people who give her money. Do you understand what corruption is and how it works?

Prove it. Do you understand what burden of proof is and how it works?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

icantfindaname posted:

The fact that she's a public official at the same time, and thus in a position to potentially give preferential treatment to people who give her money. Do you understand what corruption is and how it works?

I mean it's pretty loving obvious you don't.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

The fact that she's a public official at the same time, and thus in a position to potentially give preferential treatment to people who give her money. Do you understand what corruption is and how it works? Here's a hint: you don't collect on favors right away, you accumulate them and trade them among your allies over time

Do you have any proof or evidence other than "the potential for corruption exists" which can be said about literally anyone who takes money?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

You are painfully stupid, please go away. Public officials can and do work with charities - it's frequently considered one of their qualifications for the public job they hold. And you must not know who Elie Wiesel was if you think he'd have to bribe his way into a meeting with anyone.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

anonumos posted:

Prove it. Do you understand what burden of proof is and how it works?

Just the fact that she looks incredibly corrupt is an entirely valid reason not to vote for her. A democratic election is not a trial in a court of law

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

icantfindaname posted:

...then the article uncovered nothing, you're literally saying that it is wrong for her to recruit for her charity in any capacity while she was Secretary of State?

And no, corruption usually doesn't funnel money to a charity, and I will never care if that's done. Corruption occurs when the money is funneled into their own pockets.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

They're giving money to her charity which by all accounts is actually legit. And there's also absolutely no evidence that people giving money to her charity were given preferential treatment.

Please find something substantial beyond your feeling that Hillary is corrupt.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

Just the fact that she looks incredibly corrupt is an entirely valid reason not to vote for her. A democratic election is not a trial in a court of law

i'm hungry and my foot hurts is a valid reason not to vote for someone. doesn't make it smart or well considered though

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

and there it is :ughh:

Again do you not see Trump openly laundering money while you throw out baseless accusations or something.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

And you're free to do so, as I've said for eons. Vote for Jill Stein.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

She only looks corrupt to idiots.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

So did you get this opinion from Kill La Kill, or Attack on Titan?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

So does almost every loving person in public office. gently caress I was in a position in my college job to give preferential treatment to people. Like right now If I was immoral I could do the same with my job at the state.

Corruption is not the opportunity to do bad. Corruption is actually acting on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the appearance of impropriety does not share the same relationship with corruption that smoke shares with fire

• Locked thread