Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Chill Callahan posted:

When did the Stylus Epic become a $150 camera? I remember a year or so ago it hovered around $60-80.

What're you buying? (i know this is the "wrong" version, but i have 5 of the buggers i need to sell)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
how much you want for them?

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I'd also be interested in one.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm going on a 4.5 month backpacking trip in just over a week. I currently don't have a camera except for my phone (Nexus 5X), am I going to really benefit from getting a camera? I used to have a Nikon D80 but found that I just didn't really take it out that much because it was such a hassle.

I guess what I'm asking is it worth using a camera over your phone if you're a lovely photographer?

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
if you have to ask the answer is most likely no

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Red_Fred posted:

I'm going on a 4.5 month backpacking trip in just over a week. I currently don't have a camera except for my phone (Nexus 5X), am I going to really benefit from getting a camera? I used to have a Nikon D80 but found that I just didn't really take it out that much because it was such a hassle.

I guess what I'm asking is it worth using a camera over your phone if you're a lovely photographer?

I'm a lovely photographer and I don't let it stop me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Another camera might force you to think about taking photos. If you don't want to do that, don't bring one.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Red_Fred posted:

I dunno, what are you hoping to get out of it? You might get higher quality photos in that they'll be higher resolution, have better dynamic range, you'll get more control over aperture and shutter speed, better lens selection and quality. But you'll also have to carry a lot of extra bulk and weight, learn to use your camera and actually have it with you and accessible - if you don't have it literally in your hand (or at least round your neck), even if it's just in your rucksack, you probably won't use it much. If you want "this is what I'm doing rn" or "I'm here in this place" pictures then just take your phone. If you want something more than that, then maybe look at another camera too, but you'll need to be a bit more specific about what you want to achieve. Biggest benefit of a second camera I can see from what you've said so far is that you won't run down your phone battery taking pictures.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Download the Lightroom app and use that to take your photos.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Red_Fred posted:

Sounds like you need a leica.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Steve and Sophie by spike mccue, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Thrift store finds: $1 and $10, respectively. How did I do?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
the stylus has been one of my favorite cameras to use

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
christ I just realized how poor that phone posted image was. It's a stylus infinity, fwiw. After closer examination I now have some very slight buyer's remorse that the Minolta is full auto exposure.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For $11 I'd be thrilled to have two functional cameras. Go shoot the hell out of 'em

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Red_Fred posted:

For what it's worth my phone (Droid Turbo 2) has a pretty decent camera but 98% of the time it's easier for me personally and produces better results to just whip out my point and shoot and take a picture. The great thing about these cameras is that even if you're a braindead monkey you can get a decent shot on them, and they'll be way better than what even the best smart phone images can produce. I'd honestly say yes, because you can pick up a good camera for under $100 and get a shitload of film and come back with some images you'll really like and that won't look bad and outdated in a few months when new phones start coming out.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

For what it's worth my phone (Droid Turbo 2) has a pretty decent camera but 98% of the time it's easier for me personally and produces better results to just whip out my point and shoot and take a picture. The great thing about these cameras is that even if you're a braindead monkey you can get a decent shot on them, and they'll be way better than what even the best smart phone images can produce. I'd honestly say yes, because you can pick up a good camera for under $100 and get a shitload of film and come back with some images you'll really like and that won't look bad and outdated in a few months when new phones start coming out.

I don't think that guy even realized this thread is about film cameras.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Seems to me that if you like shooting film you should encourage others too do so also, in every reasonable circumstance, so that more people buy film and it doesn't get even more expensive/discontinued. Supply & Demand and all that.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

RustedChrome posted:

I don't think that guy even realized this thread is about film cameras.

This is true, I am dumb. Didn't see the 35mm part.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Red_Fred posted:

This is true, I am dumb. Didn't see the 35mm part.

Whelp, too late, you're buying a 35mm ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Selling a yashica t4 over in the B&S thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759085&pagenumber=13#post463259202

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
XA's are pretty cool, I put half a roll through one and the other half through a F3 with a 50mm pancake and the stuff off the XA looks way sharper.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm angry at my XA at the moment, but have a photo:

Bye Summer by spike mccue, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

I'm angry at my XA at the moment, but have a photo:

Bye Summer by spike mccue, on Flickr

i dig this a lot

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

good picture and acadia is good too.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

i dig this a lot

Thanks!

Karl Barks posted:

good picture and acadia is good too.

Acadia is rad, I've been there literally ever summer of my life.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Anybody want to recommend an XA vs an XA-2? There's a vintage reseller who has an XA-2 plus flash near me for $95 CAD while there's a number of similarly priced XA's on eBay which also have the flash. My only 35mm compact is a Rollei 35SE so I'm leaning towards the XA to get a true rangefinder and I like the 2.8 lens but I'm also thinking I want something with less hassle than the Rollei which would point to the XA-2. What's better for low light?

I've thought about the Canonet QL17 GIII too but I don't think I want to deal with those mercury battery replacements again.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The xa is ofc better for low light because it's 2.8 vs 3.5.

The xa2 is supposed to have a sharper lens...according to krock and maybe some other ppl idk.

I have an xa2 and it's great. You have to learn how to tell if your picture is a picture of two heads, two people, or a mountain. It takes some practice.

The hair-trigger shutter on any xa is prone to loose sensitivity though if you bear down on it too much so be careful. The sensitive shutter button is basically a kind of effective image stabilization.

xa2s should be cheap but like all the trendy pocket POS P&S cameras out there they've gone up to unreasonable prices because of blogs. The xa should be worth more by virtue of the RF focusing.

Whatever you do, make sure to test to ensure the shutter trips at the slightest touch. If there's any resistance or fiddlyness to it, it's not in spec. Shine a light in the lens, too. Don't buy poo poo.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 8, 2016

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Not much to add, SMERSH Mouth largely covered it.

Maybe this: The XA is a nice camera, the lens is very sharp but can vignette a bit at times.
Also don't overestimate the value of the rangefinder, it's nice to have for close-up, but that aside pretty much everything is in focus with a 35mm lens at f/5.6 or f/8 anyway. Also you won't get a RF Spot in there that is comparable to say an Olympus 35RC or even a dedicated interchangeable lens rangefinder. The finder is squinty and feels cramped, even without glasses I usually can't see the selected shutter speed without moving my eye.

On the flipside you get a rangefinder, auto exposure and a nice 35/2.8 lens in a camera that's basically the size of a Rollei 35 and it is a good bit lighter to boot. However I actually prefer how my Rollei 35s Sonnar lens draws. Last but not least, I've found the XA's flash to be on the crappy side. It's slow to cycle, you need to shoot at f/4 & 1/30 and it's relatively weak and doesn't balance all that well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I like my XA2 a lot but I can count on one hand the amount of times I've used the flash on it. By itself it's awesome to load with some 800 and stash in a pocket though

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

All this talk about the XA got me interested in 'fixing' my XA2. Its shutter button had gone mushy and wouldn't even fire about one out of every four or five tries. So it functioned, but not very well. Really had to wiggle the button to trigger it.

This is what you have to do:

1.) Deal with the bottom plate. There are screws. You can just loosen the plate; it takes some force to pull free. One of the screws is under the beeper lever.

2.) Pop off the clamshell. There is a little cylindrical metal bearing for the sliding shell that sits on the top plate here. It will fly out when you pry off the clamshell. (Be gentle)

3.) aaaaaaa

4.) This is the button. It's underneath that orange seven-holed board. There are three silver screws holding it in place on the board. Disassemble and clean the gold contacts between the bottom of the button and the board. I used 91% rubbing alcohol. My components were already pretty clean so what probably made more difference was bending out the prongs on the button so that it sat higher above the board. Be careful. The top two prongs in this photo should have a kind of mustache shape, so you shouldn't just bend them straight down.

I reassembled everything once only to find very little improvement in the function of the button. Then I took everything apart again and fiddled with the prongs more and cleaned with a little more vigor. Now it works! At least as good as when I first bought it. Maybe not as perfectly sensitive as it was when new.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
One of the rolls I finally developed was a roll of Ilford 3200 in my weird pano PS. Probably should have used the 3200 as it was meant to be used, but oh well.

It's a city by spike mccue, on Flickr

Paul is looking at his son by spike mccue, on Flickr

Fourth of July by spike mccue, on Flickr

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 9, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

All this talk about the XA got me interested in 'fixing' my XA2. Its shutter button had gone mushy and wouldn't even fire about one out of every four or five tries. So it functioned, but not very well. Really had to wiggle the button to trigger it.

This is what you have to do:

This is awesome, glad you got it working better

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

This one is dope af

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
speaking of XA's

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

aricoarena posted:

speaking of XA's

holy poo poo

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
us thrift stores are all tapped so i I had to fly to barcelona to get this for 4€ at a flea market

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

🙏

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

In lieu of any actual decent photographs by myself, enjoy this image shot by wife of me emulating a gangster in front of the almighty Big Potato of Robertson, NSW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

badass

• Locked thread