Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I much prefer the subdued designs for Trainers. Also salt is a spice and wheat bread is a little too exciting for me.

I much prefer the new designs. Confetti is a spice and I literally put sprinkles on everything. Gave my partner a nasty rash. Did you know sugar doesn't go in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Lusamine's Ultra Beast form is gonna have a big protective veil around it. Gladion's Ultra Beast form will have a cannon for a hand

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Z-Moves are either going to be ridiculously broken or useless. I'm not seeing a whole lot of in-between.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Z-moves are gonna have to be really good to justify giving up one moveslot and an item on a Pokemon.

Also Aether is totally evil. I mean they even have artwork of their grunts!

Especially if they lock you into poo poo like Giga Impact.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
gently caress, Sun is the best version but Wicke is the best gal :ohdear:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I hope Aether are the real bad guys so Team Skull can be the goofy comic relief villains they deserve to be.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Houle posted:

I much prefer the new designs. Confetti is a spice and I literally put sprinkles on everything. Gave my partner a nasty rash. Did you know sugar doesn't go in there?

Calling modern pokemon npc design sugary and without substance is really stupid since most of the new designs have a lot more going on conceptually to them and are executed flawlessly in most cases. Team Skull's admins and grunts perfectly fit the concept of lovable punk losers that are just expressing their interests and lack of cash/traditional talent and focus on self style and comfort which is perfectly countered by Aether's bright futuristic form over function designs. That doesn't seem a like a lot of thought but it is miles ahead of most Pokemon character design from Gen 1-3.

Gen 1 has simple designs not out of choice but because of the tech they were working with at the time. Everything comes across as more caricature than characters which is made worse by that generations lack of substantial character writing. Its why you have such inspired designs as "Bad guy grunt so he's wearing all black and has a whip cause he's mean and hits his pokemon" which makes little to no sense since Team Rocket are very much positioned as mafiosos. The overly simple designs kind of betrays the core ideas of the characters because they were more focused on getting The game working than making an interesting cast/world. Which is justified by the age of the game but that doesn't make them better or less cartoonish than the modern designs.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 6, 2016

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
So Sina and Dexio are back, but we never found out who the Defenders of Kalos were. This is some amazing horseshit.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So are team skull limited to only one version?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Calaveron posted:

So are team skull limited to only one version?

No.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Sultan Tarquin posted:

gently caress, Sun is the best version but Wicke is the best gal :ohdear:

I'm very confused by why people think that the NPCs are different between versions

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Moon version' day cycle acts as if your system clock is 12 hours ahead :allears:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

ALFbrot posted:

I'm very confused by why people think that the NPCs are different between versions

the trailer goes out of its way to separate them against the split apart background

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Emalde posted:

the trailer goes out of its way to separate them against the split apart background

No it doesn't

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Emalde posted:

because they are rivals

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I can hardly contain my excitment for this gen :tem:

So Aether Foundations base is the "ship" in the middle of the map art, for sure. Love the Dio-posing Skull Enforcer and all of the character designs. But the biggest, most hype thing for me is what they show in the longer of the two japanese trailers. The gameplay and the overworld looks so good I can hardly believe this is still a Pokemon mainline game. It's just so diffrent from even XY, it does look a lot more alive in those shots. The terrain looks great, there are Pokemon in the overworld, there is more unique angles to the camera and...

TEAM ROCKET CONFIRMED FOR ALOLA... or maybe just someone bought their Magikarp submarine.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

they aren't very good at the paying attention thing, i think

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Now I want a post-game area where you fight different team grunts from all six past gens

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also I am so hype for Type: Null because because that thing was definitely created to stop palkia and dialga and i feel like it increases the chance of a gen 4 remake

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Null is an abomination against nature.

I want to hug and pet it and feed it cupcakes.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Colress is totally gonna get retconned into being from the Aether Foundation isn't he?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Faticate is good and cool and my new best friend.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Z-moves are gonna have to be really good to justify giving up one moveslot and an item on a Pokemon.

Also Aether is totally evil. I mean they even have artwork of their grunts!

Last I saw, there's a fifth slot for moves, I think?

Alternatively it's great for coverage. Give something like Flareon Solar Be-oh.

Give something like Breloom Rock Tomb and when he needs to destroy a Fire type he's got the Rock Z move on deck.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Ultra Beasts are going to be Pokemon that can turn into humans and vice-versa.

Pokemon fusion is 100% the next gen's gimmick then.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

alcharagia posted:

Null is an abomination against nature.

I want to hug and pet it and feed it cupcakes.

I wonder if its a normal pokemon or a Legendary/Gift/Eventmon? The concept seems a little too... specific and powerful for it to just be something you find on route 12 or whatever.

Or maybe its in that position like Phione/Carbink where there's going to be a Legendary 'perfected' version and Null's the breedject?

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

lol yeah no way team aether isn't some creepy rear end scientology-esque thing who are causing non-pokemon eldritch abominations to show up

team skull's just tryna hustle and stack paper like everyone else, I can respect that. guzma and I are gonna kick weirdo cult's rear end

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Some thoughts about the new trailer:

-Fat Raticate = best Raticate
-If the Aether Foundation doesn't turn out to be evil I will tell people on the internet I have eaten my hat. It makes too much anime sense
-Aloloa looks amazing, I'm loving how populated and vibrant the world looks

Completely unsubstantiated theory time:
Team Skull is the secret military arm of the Aether Foundation. They're kidnapping pokemon for use in experiments, probably only the higher ups know this. Something happened prior to the game's start (possibly 10 or so years before) with Lillie, either she created/produced/whatever UB-01, or her twin was killed/absorbed/whatever. Her, Lusamine, and Gladion are definitely related and definitely part of the Aether Foundation, so it makes sense if they're the cause of the plot. The Aether Foundation are trying to counter the threat of the Ultra Beasts by creating their own Arceus, plus something with Zygarde. The protag uses the Azure Flute to call the real Arceus (or upgrade Type: Null) which ends whatever caused the Ultra Beasts.

The will also lead into the Gen 4 remakes. Suspect there's going to smatterings of Dialga/Palkia/Giratina references, and possible cameos from Crasher Wake and Cynthia.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So I'm playing heartgold and I'm level 24, exploring, all of a sudden I get attacked by loving Raikou. Um, ok. I'll give it a shot. It uses some non attacking move, then my level 24 Dubsparce uses Glare, paralyses it.

Then it immediately runs away like a bitch. Is it gone forever? If I run into it again will it still be paralyzed?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Classtoise posted:

Faticate is good and cool and my new best friend.

Last I saw, there's a fifth slot for moves, I think?

Alternatively it's great for coverage. Give something like Flareon Solar Be-oh.

Give something like Breloom Rock Tomb and when he needs to destroy a Fire type he's got the Rock Z move on deck.

Yeah, but you still have to have Giga Impact as one of Snorlax four moves if you want to use its Z-Move, which is not necessarily something you want.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Does Type: Null evolve into Gray Fox if you hurt it enough

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

greatn posted:

So I'm playing heartgold and I'm level 24, exploring, all of a sudden I get attacked by loving Raikou. Um, ok. I'll give it a shot. It uses some non attacking move, then my level 24 Dubsparce uses Glare, paralyses it.

Then it immediately runs away like a bitch. Is it gone forever? If I run into it again will it still be paralyzed?

No, yes.

IT also maintains damage done to it. Only if you KO it is it gone forever.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

Completely unsubstantiated theory time:
Team Skull is the secret military arm of the Aether Foundation. They're kidnapping pokemon for use in experiments, probably only the higher ups know this. Something happened prior to the game's start (possibly 10 or so years before) with Lillie, either she created/produced/whatever UB-01, or her twin was killed/absorbed/whatever. Her, Lusamine, and Gladion are definitely related and definitely part of the Aether Foundation, so it makes sense if they're the cause of the plot. The Aether Foundation are trying to counter the threat of the Ultra Beasts by creating their own Arceus, plus something with Zygarde. The protag uses the Azure Flute to call the real Arceus (or upgrade Type: Null) which ends whatever caused the Ultra Beasts.

The will also lead into the Gen 4 remakes. Suspect there's going to smatterings of Dialga/Palkia/Giratina references, and possible cameos from Crasher Wake and Cynthia.

If this is even close to accurate this Gen is going to be so boss.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

SpaceCadetBob posted:

If this is even close to accurate this Gen is going to be so boss.

Halfway through writing it I realised that pokemon is a game for children, so I'm not entirely sure any of it will happen. I really do think there's going to be an Arceus/Gen 4 tie in though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dunban posted:

Yeah, but you still have to have Giga Impact as one of Snorlax four moves if you want to use its Z-Move, which is not necessarily something you want.

I wonder how generic Z-moves are going to be gated in that case.

Like... what the gently caress kind of Steel move do all Steel types learn? Or Bug move? Or Dark?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And the Gen 4 remakes will be on NX 2017.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zore posted:

I wonder if its a normal pokemon or a Legendary/Gift/Eventmon? The concept seems a little too... specific and powerful for it to just be something you find on route 12 or whatever.

Or maybe its in that position like Phione/Carbink where there's going to be a Legendary 'perfected' version and Null's the breedject?

Type: Null is Gladion's partner Pokemon, so I doubt it's event only.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Zore posted:

I wonder how generic Z-moves are going to be gated in that case.

Like... what the gently caress kind of Steel move do all Steel types learn? Or Bug move? Or Dark?

My question would be what makes Snorlax's unique Z-move better than the generic Normal Z move that will also exist and just require any normal type move instead of specifically giga impact.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Type: Null is Gladion's partner Pokemon, so I doubt it's event only.

Hmm,

My best guess then is that its a postgame gift from him after we team up with Team Skull to beat the other dudes in the main game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i bet null is gonna be like rotom in that it's a regular pokemon that just happens to be pretty darn rare

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm way out of the loop, did anything ever come of those inaccessible parts of the power plant in x/y? Or the "faceless men" thing, or the guy who gave you the statue of an unidentified pokemon that didn't seem to serve any purpose? Also what kind of name is "Type: Null"? Also are mega pokemon just not a thing they're doing anymore? Also what the heck is going on with pokemon everything about these new games looks completely nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

alcharagia posted:

i bet null is gonna be like rotom in that it's a regular pokemon that just happens to be pretty darn rare

Yeah. Either a gift (Eevee in Gen 1/2, Togepi in Gen 2/4, Zorua Gen 4, Riolu Gen 4 etc) or one of those rare dudes like Drifloon/Lapras/Rotom earlier gens were fond of who only showed up certain times/places.

I miss those mini-event mon.

sinking belle posted:

I'm way out of the loop, did anything ever come of those inaccessible parts of the power plant in x/y? Or the "faceless men" thing, or the guy who gave you the statue of an unidentified pokemon that didn't seem to serve any purpose? Also what kind of name is "Type: Null"? Also are mega pokemon just not a thing they're doing anymore? Also what the heck is going on with pokemon everything about these new games looks completely nuts

There was probably a Z version that was scrapped with concepts rolled into SuMo so all the X/Y stuff was nothing (though statue dude was probably a hint at Alola, SuMo's region).

No confirmation one way or another on Mega-Evos though I doubt they're out.