Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Early access to Angel City is a preorder bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
If you can't be the best sniper and kill all snipers without sniping in an fps game, you really shouldn't bother playing fps games. Thank god weird opinions on sniping are contained to this casual not good shooter.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

SUNKOS posted:

Early access to Angel City is a preorder bonus

Pre ordering so hard right now to do more unforgivable things on angel city.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It'll be good to have a map that allows this kind of traversal, but I'm hoping there's some similar maps in the base game anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQvcVuuKbDU

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Usenet Magic-User posted:

If you can't be the best sniper and kill all snipers without sniping in an fps game, you really shouldn't bother playing fps games. Thank god weird opinions on sniping are contained to this casual not good shooter.

Thanks for the input, Chris Kyle

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Angel City pre-order bonus is access to the map 3 days early, which is probably a weekend.

Don't pre-order games.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Lemming posted:

Wait to see how they turn out

I was actually thinking of waiting for a bit after their releases just to see how things go.

Judging from the Betas, it seems as though BF1 is on track to be a bit less stable; its chock full of annoying little bugs.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Never preorder anything

but gently caress man Angel City? They must have kept that nugget in the wings just in case of situations like the press they were getting

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

spiralbrain posted:

I was actually thinking of waiting for a bit after their releases just to see how things go.

Judging from the Betas, it seems as though BF1 is on track to be a bit less stable; its chock full of annoying little bugs.

Yeah don't pre-order it. Buy it right at midnight as it launches.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Antoine Silvere posted:

If by depth you mean snipers you are 100% correct!

yeah don't get me wrong, BF1 is fun and good but it's still a Battlefield game which you've probably played before five times.

Or put another way: Titanfall has Tone, Battlefield has ten snipers on a ridgeline at all times. Advantage Titanfall.

(I'm having a lot of fun with the BF1 beta but the whole $0 thing factors in pretty heavily)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
BF1 will still have a healthy community 12 months down the line by sheer merit of being the newest Battlefield game. TF2 might not. I'll probably buy Titanfall near release so I can get in while the going's good.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Mordja posted:

BF1 will still have a healthy community 12 months down the line by sheer merit of being the newest Battlefield game. TF2 might not. I'll probably buy Titanfall near release so I can get in while the going's good.

I regret not buying Evolve at launch because of this. I had a lot of fun with the beta (it was basically Predator: The Game) but was deterred from buying it at launch because of the negative reception and DLC controversy, which I regret now because the playerbase died months later and never recovered so I missed out on the game in its prime.

I'm not sure if Titanfall is subject to the same difficulties however because it's still easy to get a fully populated match in the game today (although not in every mode, unfortunately) whereas Evolve was literally dead before the f2p update, but if Titanfall 2 suffers the same fate as the original game I can see it still having a decent population at this point in its lifespan as the first game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SUNKOS posted:

I regret not buying Evolve at launch because of this. I had a lot of fun with the beta (it was basically Predator: The Game) but was deterred from buying it at launch because of the negative reception and DLC controversy, which I regret now because the playerbase died months later and never recovered so I missed out on the game in its prime.

I'm not sure if Titanfall is subject to the same difficulties however because it's still easy to get a fully populated match in the game today (although not in every mode, unfortunately) whereas Evolve was literally dead before the f2p update, but if Titanfall 2 suffers the same fate as the original game I can see it still having a decent population at this point in its lifespan as the first game.

You see, I just do not get this mentality.

The burden is (and should be) on the dev team to not be a bunch of shitheels, rather than the customer feeling abstract guilt over missing out on generic garbage.

edit; maybe it's time for consumer attitudes to evolve

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Mordja posted:

Does Hardline still have a community that i'm not aware of?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

boz posted:

Does Hardline still have a community that i'm not aware of?

How about you run backward through a field of dicks?!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You see, I just do not get this mentality.

The burden is (and should be) on the dev team to not be a bunch of shitheels, rather than the customer feeling abstract guilt over missing out on generic garbage.

edit; maybe it's time for consumer attitudes to evolve

You misunderstood my post. I have no feelings of guilt and never feel any obligation to support any developer, whoever they are. I just regret that I missed out on Evolve back when it had a playerbase because I genuinely enjoyed the beta a lot and would have had fun with the full game for the three or four months it had a healthy population. I was relating that to Mordja's point of wanting to enjoy Titanfall 2 before the playerbase nosedives because it's the same thing, especially in comparison to Battlefield 1 which is guaranteed to still have a huge playerbase when EA is selling the game and all the DLC in bundles dirt cheap in a year or so.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

You misunderstood my post. I have no feelings of guilt and never feel any obligation to support any developer, whoever they are. I just regret that I missed out on Evolve back when it had a playerbase because I genuinely enjoyed the beta a lot and would have had fun with the full game for the three or four months it had a healthy population. I was relating that to Mordja's point of wanting to enjoy Titanfall 2 before the playerbase nosedives because it's the same thing, especially in comparison to Battlefield 1 which is guaranteed to still have a huge playerbase when EA is selling the game and all the DLC in bundles dirt cheap in a year or so.

Fair enough, I guess.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

How about you run backward through a field of dicks?!

I didn't think anyone actually liked hardline, guess I was wrong.

I think TFall2 will keep a population just because it'd doing something different. I just hope enough people will give it a shot.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

boz posted:

I think TFall2 will keep a population just because it'd doing something different.

Didn't work for TF1 so...

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Didn't work for TF1 so...

Yeah but TF1 got double butt hosed by being a Microsoft exclusive at a time when they were splitting playerbases across multiple consoles during the transition and Microsoft basically lost the console generation right out of the gate. Neither of those things will be true this time.

Isn't the new COD massively unpopular? I know it looks goddamn stupid, even moreso than your usual COD, and it's coming from the people who brought us the bland snorefest that was Ghosts. Perhaps TF2 could peel off more people from the COD demo by not being as lovely as this year's COD. That's purely speculation on my part.

I doubt TF2 will set the gaming world on fire or pull playerbase sizes on the order of games like Destiny, Battlefield, or COD, but I think it'll have more staying power than the original by virtue of not being shackled to the company that walked out onto the stage of E3 and committed ritual suicide to announce their new console.

Full disclosure: I'm an Xbox One owner. :suicide:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Lightning Knight posted:

Isn't the new COD massively unpopular? I know it looks goddamn stupid, even moreso than your usual COD, and it's coming from the people who brought us the bland snorefest that was Ghosts. Perhaps TF2 could peel off more people from the COD demo by not being as lovely as this year's COD. That's purely speculation on my part.

the new cod has a remake of mw1 so no this isnt happening

also it looks rad and blops 3 was really good, so i wouldnt count on tf2 pulling people from it, especially given the mediocrity on display in the beta

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah but TF1 got double butt hosed by being a Microsoft exclusive at a time when they were splitting playerbases across multiple consoles during the transition and Microsoft basically lost the console generation right out of the gate. Neither of those things will be true this time.

But I'm talking about the PC scene which died way before Xbox scenes did.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

s.i.r.e. posted:

But I'm talking about the PC scene which died way before Xbox scenes did.

I dunno. Perhaps PC FPS players just aren't into the game? Maybe it will do better when it's not competing with Xbox 360 players at a time when a lot of people still had 360s.

It's purely conjecture on my part, but I just would expect it to better this time around due to the unique way this console generation started out and Titanfall's place in that scenario.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

boz posted:

I didn't think anyone actually liked hardline, guess I was wrong.

I think TFall2 will keep a population just because it'd doing something different. I just hope enough people will give it a shot.

Just so you know I was quoting lyrics from the "whoop whoop that's the sound of the police" song, I wasn't actually mad I'm sorry!

Also :siren: the smart pistol is no longer a load out weapon, its a score steak thing like amped weapons now. Rip smart pistol, you were too beautiful for this world :qq:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Also :siren: the smart pistol is no longer a load out weapon, its a score steak thing like amped weapons now. Rip smart pistol, you were too beautiful for this world :qq:

Noooooo. :smith:

Lightning Knight posted:

I dunno. Perhaps PC FPS players just aren't into the game? Maybe it will do better when it's not competing with Xbox 360 players at a time when a lot of people still had 360s.

The lack of a server browser and segmenting the DLC into DLC playlists didn't help Titanfall 1 on the PC.

If you had the DLC,you were just playing the same 3 maps over and over.

Hopefully, making all the maps free will help Titanfall 2. I assume it's playlists again, instead of a server browser.

DLC will be what? Cosmetics? Additional Titan chassis?

As long as maps and modes are free, things should stay healthy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

TBH the Smart Pistol should probably be considered a boost. RIP auto-headshotting people with it at the start of the match, but good for game balance, since if you have a Smart Pistol the other guy now has a chance at Amped weapons or Ticks (lol) or whatever their other boost is.

The game is going to do fine, there's going to be a player base. Don't worry.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
New blog post and video about custom skins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL-RFfvswEw

Knifegrab posted:

Oh wow, where'd you see that? They've said they were going to find a way to balance it, I guess this is their solution. I don't really get the hate for it, it was never really OP except for farming grunts. If I was killed by it most of the time it was usually someone that could have easily killed me with a CAR or a shotgun.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Wazzit posted:

Oh wow, where'd you see that? They've said they were going to find a way to balance it, I guess this is their solution. I don't really get the hate for it, it was never really OP except for farming grunts. If I was killed by it most of the time it was usually someone that could have easily killed me with a CAR or a shotgun.

https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/4y0nji/smart_pistol/d6k9cke?context=3

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

quote:

Changes to the Smart Pistol:
It's a Boost (instead of of loadout choice)
Replaces your secondary weapon when used
Limited Ammo
Directional locking indicator displayed to Pilots you are locking on to

That seems like a SIGNIFICANT nerf. Seems a bit too far.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

So there's going to be PRIME titans with extra voices and different executions.

I guess we know why they go third person now. Gotta show off those dollars.

Edit: The directional indicator is probably a step too far with the Smart Pistol. I'm not opposed to the "you're being locked on" in general but this is real bad unless the lock-on time is significantly shorter. No real reason not to use an Amped SMG and hip-fire laser the crap out of unaware people - they'll be dead before they can react anyway.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 7, 2016

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Wazzit posted:

:rip: smart pistol, too beautiful for this world

The customization stuff seems really cool, looks like there's a lot of options. Here's hoping for a giant anime lady to put on my samurai titan

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Titans all ghillied up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Knifegrab posted:

Thank loving god. Such terrible design.

This is all I wanted. Thank you Respawn.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

Thank loving god. Such terrible design.

OK we joke around here a lot but what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Good, RIP the smart pistol :unsmigghh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I thought it was very professional and restrained how the art guy kept scrolling past the hot pink titans we all know he wanted to make before picking something else for the video

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Im in if there are hot pink Titans.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Knifegrab posted:

OK we joke around here a lot but what the gently caress is wrong with you?

It's neat in theory, but it makes for lovely gameplay and using it is boring as hell.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's neat in theory, but it makes for lovely gameplay and using it is boring as hell.

It's a skill floor weapon, it's brilliant design. Every other weapon kills faster. It exist purely for bad players, or people who don't ever pay twitch sports. One of the best ideas ever had in a shooter. The amped version were retarded tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Mr.Citrus posted:

It's a skill floor weapon, it's brilliant design. Every other weapon kills faster. It exist purely for bad players, or people who don't ever pay twitch sports. One of the best ideas ever had in a shooter. The amped version were retarded tho

Hahahahahaha