Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I only just realised what number two means.

It means the godawful lovely MET20 is going to be the new standard. These are people who thought the harrying of the loving North was an invasion William the Conqueror was trying to fight off. Oh god. Oh god no.

i do not think the Project will continue into fifth edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sounds like a bunch of stuff I'll be happy to ignore while Onyx Path hopefully keeps doing its thing.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
This sums me up right now.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
There's so much to unpack there I don't even know where to start, but I do want to say I appreciate point six repeatedly mentioning they lack of any real plan.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm kind of feeling I should set up viichan twitter anyway tho

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

unseenlibrarian posted:

Wait, wait. "The New Inquisition" is a feature of the New Old WOD?

Actually, it's funny because "The New Inquisition" was the original working title of a certain occult horror RPG that was created as a direct response to the original World of Darkness.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Actually, it's funny because "The New Inquisition" was the original working title of a certain occult horror RPG that was created as a direct response to the original World of Darkness.

They are also a faction in Unknown Armies 1st & 2nd editions, 3rd is coming out soon but mentioned a lot of shakeup given the decade gap and needing to adjust to maintain postmodernity.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ambi posted:

They are also a faction in Unknown Armies 1st & 2nd editions, 3rd is coming out soon but mentioned a lot of shakeup given the decade gap and needing to adjust to maintain postmodernity.

It's also Unknown Armies ARB is referring to, actually..."The New Inquisition" was one of its working titles.

edit; anyway, as someone who isn't exactly deeply invested in the World of Darkness, I'm looking forward to seeing how Vamp Citizen pans out from the sidelines.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Loomer posted:

I only just realised what number two means.

It means the godawful lovely MET20 is going to be the new standard. These are people who thought the harrying of the loving North was an invasion William the Conqueror was trying to fight off. Oh god. Oh god no.

What was going on here? I'm even less familiar with MET than with the rest of the original WoD line. (Also this looks like #3 rather than #2.)

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Night10194 posted:

Why do people get such a ridiculous hard-on for metaplot, anyway? It always ends up disappointing and groups always alter it significantly anyway. Why not just give a good, detailed snapshot of 'where things stand' and then not worry about a bunch of pointless NPCs progressing the story without you?

A sort of "sequence of snapshots" could actually be an interesting way to work with a setting. Basically some guideposts for "this is how the world progresses if left to its own devices" that is explicitly intended to be altered as needed to account for PC actions but lets the world feel more alive without the DM/ST/etc. having to think about what's happening in regions that are not immediately relevant to the campaign/PCs.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Loomer posted:

From one of their execs "Netflix show by 2020 or bust".

...then the Paradox CEO threw the horns and told the audience to embrace their Beasts and go forth, the audience shouted "PRAISE CAINE!" (....ok, a few of us did), and that was it."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Of course they got thundrous applause announcing that their new expansion would be LARP Focused at the Vampire LARP Convention.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

NGDBSS posted:

What was going on here? I'm even less familiar with MET than with the rest of the original WoD line. (Also this looks like #3 rather than #2.)

Crazy bullshit like the Giovanni and Setites forming a new faction.The rules don't bother me - it's the awful ideas that do, and if they liked MET20 that means they liked those ideas.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Loomer posted:

It's for the best. You'll be free!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Loomer posted:

Crazy bullshit like the Giovanni and Setites forming a new faction.The rules don't bother me - it's the awful ideas that do, and if they liked MET20 that means they liked those ideas.

Don't forget that in the Werewolf LARP you can pass on the first change through a Bite. But the target isn't guaranteed to survive(which is the only reason why the Black Spirals haven't taken over the world though I doubt they'd care anyway). Except Player Characters are guaranteed to survive. It's ridiculously metagamey and exists only because it's an Apocalypse game written by Masquerade Larpers.

It has serious implications for the nature of the World of Darkness and Garou in General but hey, gotta be able to inflict your curse on people..except it's not a curse.. but it is now... sort of.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

MMOs are a different beast entirely, since they need to update content on a regular basis to maintain novelty. I don't think it's really comparable to a TTRPG.

It was still something where there are lots of players making a choice on how the story will progress for all people playing the official game and some lessons could be learned from it. I also don't know of another game, online or off, that allowed players to have that kind of influence over future official story events on such a regular basis (monthly, in this case). Some in this thread have talked of living worlds with LARPs and such that do the same thing or more so, but those events aren't then written into the official game line.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Remember when we upset that they choose to base things off the oWoD? Can you imagine what they'd be doing to the nWoD right now? It'd make VtR 2nd Edition's making GBS threads up of the Coils look like a typo.

crazy person posted:

...then the Paradox CEO threw the horns and told the audience to embrace their Beasts and go forth, the audience shouted "PRAISE CAINE!" (....ok, a few of us did), and that was it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kKXvDaJIzQ

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I would gladly sacrifice the nWoD to avert this, drat it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Loomer posted:

Loomer! :ohdear:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Loomer posted:

Don't say things you can't take back.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Alright that may not be true. I'm just caught in my very own time of judgment scenario right now, is all.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Creeping up behind the Chronicles of Darkness core book with a Gun, he hears only one thing
"Tell me again about the Cainites, Loomer."

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Loomer posted:

Alright that may not be true. I'm just caught in my very own time of judgment scenario right now, is all.

A very special hell?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Just start applying cryptographic methods to the press releases. If you take every 13th letter, find a filter that roduces names, and put them in a Punnet square (based on clan and generation obviously) you'll see that a rival group of mystics is loving with the Work and must be destroyed.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Hah. You joke but I'm doing some actual gematria for the compiled book of nod thing.

On a serious note, embracing the By Night Studios style of doing things is going to be at the very least interesting. Unfortunately, like the herd-discipline idea, it also isn't really VtM or oWoD as we know it. I suppose v20 is for that, but radical changes like this put me on edge. But then, maybe this is just me becoming the oWoD version of an AD&D grognard.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm not sure if it's Grognardy, since Paradox's whole thing going into this was fueled by Nostalgia. But it was Sweedish Dracula's own personal nostalgia and now the entirety of the World of Darkness warps to fit his personal perception.

Which I guess is sort of what Mearls is doing to 5e so maybe it is Grognardism? I still don't like it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kurieg posted:

I'm not sure if it's Grognardy, since Paradox's whole thing going into this was fueled by Nostalgia. But it was Sweedish Dracula's own personal nostalgia and now the entirety of the World of Darkness warps to fit his personal perception.

Which I guess is sort of what Mearls is doing to 5e so maybe it is Grognardism? I still don't like it.

That is also how we got Age of Sigmar in Warhammer.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

What's everyone got against point 5? Killimg off elders is good.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Is that what it's about? The namedropping of New Inquisition and Forever War just confused the hell out of me.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kibner posted:

That is also how we got Age of Sigmar in Warhammer.

Was Age of Sigmar one man being given complete control over the IP with no-one to veto his stupider ideas?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Killing off all the elders, while good in terms of power balance and options for PCs, significantly diminishes the scope of the game. I'd rather see them torpid than dead - even more options that way, and less closed doors.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Personally, I hope they fail forward long enough so I can play a Wraith on WoD-twitter trying to restore the Hierarchy. Ave Stygia!

Edit: That was actually a villain faction I created for a Werewolf game set after the Maelstrom: the Last Legion, a bunch of Risen trying to set up a New Stygia in the Skinlands.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kavak posted:

Was Age of Sigmar one man being given complete control over the IP with no-one to veto his stupider ideas?

Sort of? It's basically a group of people deciding that they know how people should play the game and anyone who plays it differently (Or in Warhammers case: actually plays the game at all rather than just collecting the figures and giving them money for the privilege) can go gently caress themselves. The ruleset is designed to actively humiliate people who don't abandon their old armies for the new ones.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

Personally, I hope they fail forward long enough so I can play a Wraith on WoD-twitter trying to restore the Hierarchy. Ave Stygia!

Edit: That was actually a villain faction I created for a Werewolf game set after the Maelstrom: the Last Legion, a bunch of Risen trying to set up a New Stygia in the Skinlands.

You realize that even if WoD Twitter doesn't end up being a thing we can make it a thing

mostly so i can troll you with viichan memes

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kavak posted:

Pretty much. Their then-new CEO wanted the game to play like he remembered it being played when he was younger. I don't remember if he has been fired or stepped down, yet, but the Warhammer death thread would probably know.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mors Rattus posted:

You realize that even if WoD Twitter doesn't end up being a thing we can make it a thing

The best session of V20 I ever ran was a filler session where the characters (all recently-awoken elders, set in the mid-1990s) were posting at each other and NPCs on a BBS. The game was run through IRC so there was an extra layer that was just everything good about roleplaying.

Basically what I'm saying is, I have seriously considered making a dozen dummy twitter accounts and automating their posts to do this thing. It is a good-bad idea, and has legs.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kibner posted:

Pretty much. Their then-new CEO wanted the game to play like he remembered it being played when he was younger. I don't remember if he has been fired or stepped down, yet, but the Warhammer death thread would probably know.

I guess it's a trend, then. At least Mearls had the decency to do it to a game that was already approaching a layoff-induced nadir rather than drive a salvageable IP into the ground like what happened to Warhammer Fantasy and here.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Kavak posted:

I guess it's a trend, then. At least Mearls had the decency to do it to a game that was already approaching a layoff-induced nadir rather than drive a salvageable IP into the ground like what happened to Warhammer Fantasy and here.
Point of order, Mearls started by doing it to a good game, badly, until they redid the whole thing so he could make the bad game he wanted in the first place.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Loomer posted:

Hah. You joke but I'm doing some actual gematria for the compiled book of nod thing.

That is awesome in a very nerdy way. Do you plan to share it at all, or is it just a personal thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mors Rattus posted:

Who is the troll and who is the trolled?