Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

WienerDog posted:

Turn10 announced wheel support for FM6: Apex and Horizon 3 on Windows 10.

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm6a_wheel_support

I was going to get a physical copy of FH3 for one of the retail pre-order bonuses, but now that I know the Win10 version supports wheels, I might get the digital version.

This makes me hopeful for Forza 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

njsykora posted:

This makes me hopeful for Forza 7.

I'm 90% sure that Microsoft officially committed to offering all their future first-party titles on Windows 10 through Play Anywhere. As long as the program is a success, and I don't see any good reason why it wouldn't be, I think it's beyond the point where we need to be hopeful about anything.

As long as some disaster doesn't wipe Turn 10 off the face of the earth Forza 7 is going to happen, and when it does it'll be offered on Windows and will all but certainly inherit if not this exact wheel support code then something descended from it.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Only if you can use cloud save to move you old saves over.

Cloud saves can synchronize between the 360 and One.

I was pleasantly surprised when I started up BC Halo Reach and saw all my progress from the 360 carried over.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

wolrah posted:

I'm 90% sure that Microsoft officially committed to offering all their future first-party titles on Windows 10 through Play Anywhere. As long as the program is a success, and I don't see any good reason why it wouldn't be, I think it's beyond the point where we need to be hopeful about anything.

As long as some disaster doesn't wipe Turn 10 off the face of the earth Forza 7 is going to happen, and when it does it'll be offered on Windows and will all but certainly inherit if not this exact wheel support code then something descended from it.

They backtracked after e3 and said only the games shown during the presentation will be win10 and other titles may or may not.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Well they also clarified on twitter that it will still be for most games. The only ones not included are ones that don't make sense on a pc. Horizon and apex kind of set a precedent that driving games work on pc so it would be a really hard sell to say they won't in the future, especially with the fact that work had continued on apex.

Then again, Microsoft.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I dont see how this makes sense for xbox. Why would you buy an xbox one (or whatever console comes next) when they are releasing everything on PC?

Secondly. i'm reposting this photo because i dont want it to get lost on the last page :d:

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Getting ready for S class GNX racing this week. I tried to make a oval racing nascar and accidentally made a Formula-D Drift car :psyduck:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Because the circle of Xbox owners and PC owners doesn't entirely overlap by 100%

Microsoft wants to sell you hardware or software; preferably both. It makes absolutely perfect sense. They didn't commit to this idea without hashing out a sizable consumer base.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I dont see how this makes sense for xbox. Why would you buy an xbox one (or whatever console comes next) when they are releasing everything on PC?

Secondly. i'm reposting this photo because i dont want it to get lost on the last page :d:

Because Xbox, etc. have become media centers as well as game consoles. Even at $400-500 Xbox will still fit a budget household more than a PC with the power and graphics card needed to run Forza (or other games) and they're designed for 5+ years of use.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Also there will still be xbox exclusives, just very few from Microsoft.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The logic is a console is a far easier entry point to video game poo poo than a PC. MS will still sell systems based on Forza and other big names. They also benefit from selling primarily PC gamers their games who have to either pass on them because they don't own an Xbox or buy an Xbox.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Cross-platform play is a pretty decent value-add for those of us who have both, too. I'm sure when I upgrade my PC sometime in the next year, my copy of Forza Horizon 3 will get a second life, which certainly makes me more likely to shell out for the inevitable Porsche and Rally DLC.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GutBomb posted:

Well they also clarified on twitter that it will still be for most games. The only ones not included are ones that don't make sense on a pc. Horizon and apex kind of set a precedent that driving games work on pc so it would be a really hard sell to say they won't in the future, especially with the fact that work had continued on apex.

Then again, Microsoft.

What games wouldn't make sense on PC?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

What games wouldn't make sense on PC?

Just Dance? That kind of thing.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

WienerDog posted:

Turn10 announced wheel support for FM6: Apex and Horizon 3 on Windows 10.

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm6a_wheel_support

:woop:

quote:

Note that there are additional wheels that we plan on bringing on board soon, notably Fanatec products [...] will be arriving in Apex beginning in late September

oh god damnit. has anyone tried running this with a fanatec wheel in ps3 mode?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I hope they end up shooting themselves in the foot and releasing Forza 4 on BC

I cry every time I think about Forza 4, I miss that game so much. :qq:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Then again, Microsoft.

I am just super jaded and feel that because Forza Motorsport is a flagship title for Microsoft, along with Halo, we will never see these two titles on PC. The decision will not actually come down to unique games but what makes sense for moving Xbox hardware. Forza 7 is launching with the Scorpio is something to keep in mind.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

GutBomb posted:

Just Dance? That kind of thing.

b-b-but kinect for windows :(

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I said come in! posted:

I am just super jaded and feel that because Forza Motorsport is a flagship title for Microsoft, along with Halo, we will never see these two titles on PC. The decision will not actually come down to unique games but what makes sense for moving Xbox hardware. Forza 7 is launching with the Scorpio is something to keep in mind.

Forza 7 is absolutely going to happen on PC, I believe every Microsoft published game is going to be launching simultaniously on PC and Xbox from now on. They said that much in their E3 presentation. They sell it on Xbox they have people buying Xboxes. They sell it on PC they have people buying Windows 10 now since they're pushing those releases as being on Windows 10 rather than being on PC. Either way you're buying it from Microsoft.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

As noted consoles are cheap and simple. Sure, you can build a usable gaming PC for not much more (JayzTwoCents on Youtube just posted a video with a sub-$400 retail build) but even as a PC diehard I'll gladly admit they're more hassle. I think you get more value with a PC, but these days a lot of people are satisfied with their mobile devices for the other things a PC can do.

As I see it they've just changed Xbox from a hardware platform to a software platform, where the console is now the reference hardware for the software platform. Next year there will be two reference boxes when Scorpio releases, along with a spectrum of Windows 10 computers in between and above. Games will be expected to perform to a certain standard on the reference platforms, but those of us who are willing to take the cost/complexity trades can get more.

This also gives them a stronger foothold on the PC gaming market. Steam is a juggernaut, they have lots of user inertia on their side. A competitor must offer something Steam doesn't or can't to get people to use their service. Most do this by force, through exclusive games, but with cross-buy between console and PC Microsoft has something they can offer above and beyond which Steam can't compete with. A Microsoft rep specifically mentioned eventually offering their PC games on Steam and other digital stores, but cross-buy won't be available anywhere else.

For a household that owns both gaming PCs and an Xbox that's a really appealing offer. For someone who has a console but wants to buy a PC in the future it's brilliant.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Microsoft also has the fact that Steam has really felt like a dumping ground lately on their side. Of course, Microsoft probably isn't equipped to take advantage of that but my point is that Steam has real weaknesses that could be exploited by a competent competitor.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

TheScott2K posted:

Microsoft also has the fact that Steam has really felt like a dumping ground lately on their side. Of course, Microsoft probably isn't equipped to take advantage of that but my point is that Steam has real weaknesses that could be exploited by a competent competitor.

Are you calling the camwhore simulator spinoff of the hentai dating simulator "Junk"? Those are fighting words, sir.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Are you calling the camwhore simulator spinoff of the hentai dating simulator "Junk"? Those are fighting words, sir.

No, that one's really good, that's not junk

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Got paid today, so I fired up the XBone and pre-ordered FH3 Ultimate. It's installing now. 45GB or so.

It unlocks on my birthday. Too bad I'll have to work the next day. I'll still end up staying up unreasonable late, I'm sure. Now that I'm remembering starting FH2, I'm getting stoked. I mean, it sucks that you have to play the intro poo poo with assists and all, but it still is pretty hype. Welp. Of to work. See how much is downloaded by the time I get home. 3% so far.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Howdy i heard you installed fleshlights into your guitars. C/D.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I would but my dilz is too small. :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

njsykora posted:

I believe every Microsoft published game is going to be launching simultaniously on PC and Xbox from now on. They said that much in their E3 presentation.

Microsoft never said this.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I said come in! posted:

Microsoft never said this.

Yes they did, but they later backtracked and said it was a mistake in wording.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/07/microsoft-appears-to-roll-back-on-its-xbox-play-anywhere-pledge
http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-stealthily-edits-xbox-play-anywhere-description/
http://www.slashgear.com/microsoft-apologizes-for-xbox-play-anywhere-miscommunication-11447737/

The original text in Microsoft's post was

quote:

Every new title published from Microsoft Studios will support Xbox Play Anywhere and will be easily accessible in the Windows Store
but it was changed to

quote:

Every new title published from Microsoft Studios that we showed onstage at E3 this year will support Xbox Play Anywhere and will be easily accessible in the Windows Store
though Phil Spencer responded to IGN with this:
https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/751198457814147073
indicating that Play Anywhere will be the default but certain games may not be "right for all devices".

I'm not sure what games would be good for consoles but not PCs though. Even if it's best on a big screen with multiple controllers, PCs do that just fine and Microsoft is very aware of that fact since the Xbox controllers are the easiest way to do it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Someone earlier mentioned Kinect games and that makes sense.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Microsoft clarified their stance shortly after E3 because people started asking them why anyone would want an Xbox One now. All i'm saying is don't get too hopeful and caught up in what the Microsoft PR heads say to us when they do a 180 on their policies once a month. All of this is going to change in a year.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Like i said earlier, "Selling certain big AAA Titles cross platform" makes sense. "All Xbox One games on PC" does not.

:( I dont want to go back to being PC Master Race, it was expensive.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

Someone earlier mentioned Kinect games and that makes sense.

Technically Kinect for PC is a thing, but I see your point. Aside from a few people trying to plug them in to VR setups most Kinect for PC users are using them for mocap, low-end 3D scanning, etc.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Like i said earlier, "Selling certain big AAA Titles cross platform" makes sense. "All Xbox One games on PC" does not.

That's the thing though, you wouldn't have to. We know when Scorpio comes out in late 2017 the plan is that games will be required to work to certification standards on the original "Durango" Xbox One, but can run at higher graphical detail on the new one.

Let's say they follow the same basic schedule with the next one after that. E3 2020 they announce the Scorpio S to be released that fall and the next upgrade version to ship in 2021. My assumption would be that some time between those dates developers targeting release after the 2021 model ships are allowed to change their minimum target to Scorpio, ending the primary support of Durango after eight years. Repeat the cycle again for the next generation. Those who choose customizability and performance over simplicity and cost can go outside the box but sacrifice a large layer of support by doing so.

As long as they do a good job enforcing that games provide an enjoyable experience on the older supported console model I think it'll be a win all around. Console players get the opportunity to get performance increases while maintaining their long lifecycles if they want, PC players get some more games, and Microsoft merges their two gaming communities. It's not like they make much if any of a profit on the consoles themselves, they make money on the games and accessories.

Obviously I had to make a few big assumptions to get there and it requires competent execution, but it's plausible and reasonable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Why not? Some people don't have a gaming PC, some people don't like consoles. Selling as much as they can on both platforms makes perfect sense and gets them the most money.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Horizon 3 demo is out tomorrow?

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Monday morning at 00:00 UTC, which is Sunday at 8pm est or so.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thanks for putting out the demo of a highly anticipated game at the end of a weekend, guys.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My days off are Sunday/Monday. :smug:

Also next Friday after next is my birthday I MENTIONED THAT RIGHT? (I really wanted it to be next week already.)

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 11, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

God drat Microsoft, give me the loving demo already.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

justbread posted:

has anyone tried running this with a fanatec wheel in ps3 mode?

In case anyone was wondering, this does work. Putting the CSWv2 into PS3 mode forces it to emulate a G27, so as long as the Logitech software is installed and DoR set to 900 everything works great.

Also
* the game currently detects the Fanatec wheels and "works" but there is zero FF
* looks and runs great with a 1080 but I seem to crash occasionally if I use rewinds
* there are no goku or anime titty liveries anywhere so this was all a massive waste of time

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Still no demo. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It comes out in about 45 minutes.

• Locked thread