Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

fridge corn posted:

Right and nobody gives a poo poo in this generic fantasy either. Its an embarrasingly weak attempt to disguise pandering for depth to the point where it's backfired and comes off as creepy and weird

Only one thing's coming across as creepy and weird over here.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Geralt doesn't sleep around as much in the books as you might get the impression from Witcher 1. The brooding isn't an act, he really is morose and indecisive. Women have to throw themselves at him to get him to respond.

The character in Witcher 3 is like grown-up Geralt. He has a clear goal and relatively stable relationships. Without those things the bitchy, awkward loner side really comes out.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 6, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Terminally Bored posted:

It bears repeating that Witcher 2 and 3 (especially 3) have better writing than the books they're based on. Sapkowski's prose aged pretty terribly.

I don't think his prose is that bad at all. In fact, I find a lot of it really well done. The guy has a talent for wordplay and can write Tarantino level conversations. I also really like his experimental chapters where he shakes up his writing style, like the sections in blood of elves where ciri's interactions with other characters are told entirely through dialogue.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arglebargle III posted:

Geralt doesn't sleep around as much in the books as you might get the impression from Witcher 1. The brooding isn't an act, he really is morose and indecisive. Women have to throw themselves at him to get him to respond.

The character in Witcher 3 is like grown-up Geralt. He has a clear goal and relatively stable relationships. Without those things the bitchy, awkward loner side really comes out.

This guy gets it. On top of this Yennefer is one of the most believable females I've ever seen written especially from a male author. Anyone whose been in any long term relationship or marriage can see the depth of both of these characters. And W3 totally does them and their relationship justice.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

chaosapiant posted:

This guy gets it. On top of this Yennefer is one of the most believable females I've ever seen written especially from a male author. Anyone whose been in any long term relationship or marriage can see the depth of both of these characters. And W3 totally does them and their relationship justice.

Triss in WItcher 2 was great but then she had to go mostly all glad-handy in this one, and I also didn't realize I had on the secondary dlc outfit of hers, which was just the icing on the poo poo cake.

:sigh:

WHat a stupid loving dress for Triss. Nice secondary one for Yen, though. :unsmigghh:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yennifer has a lot of issues. She finds it genuinely difficult to connect with people. She hides behind the ice queen thing for self-defense and people who are into that tend to lose interest when she opens up. You get the impression that she's had many brief flings and maybe two serious relationships. I'm not sure she's happy about the brief flings either; like most lonely people she's torn between a need for contact and the need to maintain her emotional safety.

Neither one of them is really cut out for a storybook romance.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't think his prose is that bad at all. In fact, I find a lot of it really well done. The guy has a talent for wordplay and can write Tarantino level conversations. I also really like his experimental chapters where he shakes up his writing style, like the sections in blood of elves where ciri's interactions with other characters are told entirely through dialogue.

Sapkowski's main strength was world-building. He's really well versed in the fantasy genre (wrote a great compendium of the genre, don't think it was ever translated to any other languages) and used and subverted tropes really well. But when it comes to plot and dialogue he's pretty weak. Tarantino's a good comparison actually as that guy really needs an editor to cut down on monologues. Both Sapkowski and Tarantino seem so cool when you're 15, but it's hard not to groan when you're older.

Still remember the backlash against The Lady of The Lake. Holy poo poo was that a terrible saga ending. So happy the games retconned that crap.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

It bears repeating that Witcher 2 and 3 (especially 3) have better writing than the books they're based on. Sapkowski's prose aged pretty terribly.

You read them in Polish, right?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Yep. In high school.

I listened to the audiobooks last year with my wife and we were both surprised how badly they aged. And back in the day we were such big fans, too.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 6, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Are you playing on the highest difficulty? The starting zone should get you to around level 4, level 3 if you only did the main quests. Do you still have main quest stuff to do? That's where the lions share of the XP is throughout the game.

Yeah, I was doing side stuff and left the main story for later. Did the fight with the noonwraith and even found the viper school equipment. Wraiths seem pretty easy to fight once you know their pattern. The game says you need to use the Yrden sign on them, but I could not tell a difference between hitting them with wraith-oiled silver sword in or out of the circle, so I just starting Quen'ing for any time one got the drop on me after a teleport and starting dodging all the time.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I was doing side stuff and left the main story for later. Did the fight with the noonwraith and even found the viper school equipment. Wraiths seem pretty easy to fight once you know their pattern. The game says you need to use the Yrden sign on them, but I could not tell a difference between hitting them with wraith-oiled silver sword in or out of the circle, so I just starting Quen'ing for any time one got the drop on me after a teleport and starting dodging all the time.

death march reduces how much XP you get, so yeah that's what is happening, just finish the quests there and move on and you'll gain in levels fast most likely since you already front loaded it with all of the side quests.

the ? are not a good source of XP, the starting zone makes them seem more valuable then they are in the later game as there are only like 10-15 more of those places of power in the whole game. once you move on to the main area, just do them when you feel like it as they are mostly a monster fight, a hidden chest, or some little sidequest that is fun, doing them all to clear every area will just burn you out.

yrden makes boss ghosts like the noonwraith vulnerable to damage. for the bog standard ones i think it just makes them take some more damage and slows them a bit, i rarely bother with it against them either. it has some other uses as well.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah the characters have a bad habit of monologueing.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Yrden does the same thing to all spectres - renders them corporeal, slows them down and makes Geralt deliver double damage or something. Same thing with moon dust.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Terminally Bored posted:

Sapkowski's main strength was world-building. He's really well versed in the fantasy genre (wrote a great compendium of the genre, don't think it was ever translated to any other languages) and used and subverted tropes really well. But when it comes to plot and dialogue he's pretty weak. Tarantino's a good comparison actually as that guy really needs an editor to cut down on monologues. Both Sapkowski and Tarantino seem so cool when you're 15, but it's hard not to groan when you're older.

Still remember the backlash against The Lady of The Lake. Holy poo poo was that a terrible saga ending. So happy the games retconned that crap.

Do you mean the very ending? I read all the books a month or so ago and felt they were quite good overall, though I do prefer the short stories.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In the books Yen and Geralt really died?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

DoctorGonzo posted:

It was left open-ended. In the game the writers estabilished one of the possibilities as true. Season of Storms has an epilogue that suggests that they survived as well.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

Geralt dies trying to stop racists from massacring dwarves iirc. Random farmer kills him with a pitchfork. The games reference this often, everyone hated that. The character established as really smart with picking his fights dies like an idiot.

Halser posted:

Do you mean the very ending? I read all the books a month or so ago and felt they were quite good overall, though I do prefer the short stories.

Sapkowski got a contract for five novels and he was sick of witcher by book three, so the saga takes a nosedive onwards. The last bit with Ciri and the Arthurian legends was just lazy because everybody knew Sapkowski's got a huge hard-on for anglo-saxon mythology. The guy even wrote a short (and pretty good, I must admit) retelling of the Tristan and Isolde story.

People hated the last books in the saga so much that they wrote short stories in which the characters threaten Sapkowski and force him to write badly. I remember reading one such story in the biggest RPG magazine in Poland called Magia i Miecz (Magic & Sword). The author prefaced it saying it's an explanation of how her favorite author could write such a turd. It was surreal.

Oh, and there were jokes like Czas Pogardy (Time of Contempt) becoming Czas Podagry (Time of Gout).

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 6, 2016

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Terminally Bored posted:

Geralt dies trying to stop racists from massacring dwarves iirc. Random farmer kills him with a pitchfork. The games reference this often, everyone hated that. The character established as really smart with picking his fights dies like an idiot.

Sapkowski got a contract for five novels and he was sick of witcher by book three, so the saga takes a nosedive onwards. The last bit with Ciri and the Arthurian legends was just lazy because everybody knew Sapkowski's got a huge hard-on for anglo-saxon mythology. The guy even wrote a short (and pretty good, I must admit) retelling of the Tristan and Isolde story.

I guess it didn't annoy me that much because I knew it wasn't really the end, though the Ciri ending was really bizarre.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Halser posted:

I guess it didn't annoy me that much because I knew it wasn't really the end, though the Ciri ending was really bizarre.

Yeah, as I said the games are really, really goddamn good at continuing (and finishing) the story. I was sure CDP would stumble trying to write stories for Yennefer and Ciri but they delivered on both fronts. It's probably the only time when fanfiction is better than the source material.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I liked the saga's ending. It was just a version of "master gets killed by a beginner" present in many Far Eastern stories. I didn't really get bothered by a death like that as it was fitting for the saga's universe and the idea that Ciri is the actuallly important character and Geralt meeting a grim end after so much luck he had before. I was never bothered by protagonist's dying in any other series though so that might be a factor.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

If my memory serves, Sapkowski killed Geralt off so he wouldn't have to write anymore Witcher books or stories. And he wanted to focus on the Narrenturm series (three books) which, uh, weren't that good if I'm being delicate.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

YUR'LL CHOKE T'DEATH ON THREE TONS OF BOAT

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Terminally Bored posted:

If my memory serves, Sapkowski killed Geralt off so he wouldn't have to write anymore Witcher books or stories. And he wanted to focus on the Narrenturm series (three books) which, uh, weren't that good if I'm being delicate.
Is that the Hussite saga? Man that was garbage. And the source material is so good!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Trolls are the best :3:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Im glad my original assessment of the witcher books being bad has been vindicated

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Are trolls as funny in the books?

also how do you get that armor Geralt is wearing in the start screen? I don't remember if that's the starting armor or what but I kinda want to have that look again

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the awnsers. I hope someday we will meet really old man Geralt the bagpipes man.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Is that the Hussite saga? Man that was garbage. And the source material is so good!

Yes. And after the turd called Viper and numerous times Sapkowski dissed the games it was especially funny seeing him publish Season of Storms. Guy's a douche.

Weird thing is that nearly all Polish fantasy writers in recent years (decades even) are rightwing assholes: Piekara, Kres, Ziemkiewicz. So if you think Sapkowski's prose is kinda sexist and stupidly nihilistic then you shouldn't even touch any of the these authors. Also, out of all Polish fantasy authors Sapkowski is most often regarded (and regards himself I think) as high literature. He came close at times but his literary workshop's not that great if you look closely.

Sorry for :spergin: I teach Polish literature and the topic of Sapkowski came back recently because of the games.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Terminally Bored posted:

Yes. And after the turd called Viper and numerous times Sapkowski dissed the games it was especially funny seeing him publish Season of Storms. Guy's a douche.

Weird thing is that nearly all Polish fantasy writers in recent years (decades even) are rightwing assholes: Piekara, Kres, Ziemkiewicz. So if you think Sapkowski's prose is kinda sexist and stupidly nihilistic then you shouldn't even touch any of the these authors. Also, out of all Polish fantasy authors Sapkowski is most often regarded (and regards himself I think) as high literature. He came close at times but his literary workshop's not that great if you look closely.

Sorry for :spergin: I teach Polish literature and the topic of Sapkowski came back recently because of the games.

Pretty informative post, thank you. So, no more Witcher books then?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

El Hefe posted:

Are trolls as funny in the books?

also how do you get that armor Geralt is wearing in the start screen? I don't remember if that's the starting armor or what but I kinda want to have that look again
Which start screen? The current B&W one?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Terminally Bored posted:

When did he diss the games?

On all the interviews I've seen he just refused to give an opinion on them since he never played the games and will never do it, probably because the only hobby he needs is vodka.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Which start screen? The current B&W one?

I don't have the expansions so the regular one

is that upgradable witcher armor?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

El Hefe posted:

I don't have the expansions so the regular one

it reappears in the expansions as the Viper armor set.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Halser posted:

On all the interviews I've seen he just refused to give an opinion on them since he never played the games and will never do it, probably because the only hobby he needs is vodka.
Yeah, he didn't really diss the games. He just said he doesn't consider gaming interesting as a whole. He praised things in Witcher games that he thought he can relate to: the visual side.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

El Hefe posted:

it's the armor you start with :shrug:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Halser posted:

Literally two weeks ago (Polish site): http://www.spidersweb.pl/2016/08/sapkowski-obraza-graczy-wiedzmin-cdp.html

In short: he said that gamemakers feed on his literature, and that the games did not influence the sales of his books (nevermind the fact that only one book was translated to English and no one really wanted to do the other ones before the games came out). And hilariously he dissed Adrian Chmielarz for not paying him for the Witcher game. Chmielarz was working on one but it got scrapped. Either the guy doesn't even know Chmielarz doesn't work for CDP or he's just being an rear end in a top hat again.

And yes, he still says he didn't play the games but "he knows a few people who did". Guy's circuits are fried.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

eh, i fully intend to be just as cranky as an old man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok, yeah I haven't seen that interview yet.