Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

The March Hare posted:

Hey there, just moved into a new place. It's a railroad apt. with a big middle room that we are using as a livingroom space and my gf just stepped on the TV so now we are considering maybe grabbing a projector. We've got a maximum ~11.5' throw to a brick wall that is ~9' long and ~12' tall. Since it's the middle room in a railroad the room isn't super bright during the day (there are openings but its still a good 15' on either end of the walls to this room before you hit a window) and at night it is basically totally dark, so it seems like a decent environment for one.

If we wanted to get something decent for under a grand what should we be looking at (the lower the better, honestly)? Assume we will save up and buy a decent screen in a couple of months and live with lovely picture on a sheet or the brick or whatever for now. Already have audio covered.

What's your budget? - Sub 1k for the projector, lower the better.

Intended sources -- what are you going to watch/play/do? - Probably just movies and tv from a Roku, possibly stuff from a computer at some point but don't sweat it for now.

How big of a picture do you want? "I don't care/Big" is an acceptable answer - Don't really care as long as it fits on the wall but just from sitting on the couch and looking at the wall it seems like maybe ~100" would be good.

Are you going to use a screen? (if you already own a screen, how big/what kind/what gain, if known?) - Eventually yes, but we don't have one now and would rather get minimum viable projecting going on our budget and save up for the screen for later purchase.

What are the restrictions, if any, on placement? - None, we've got exposed rafters and can hang from there without issue.

Throw - is that 11.5 wall to wall or did you already account for the PJ size/venting? If you are looking to mount it off a rafter I assume you did but just checking. Is 11.5 the furthest rafter back then?

Seating - what is your actual seating distance going to be? Eyeball to screen distance.

If you are mounting off a rafter you need to factor in the cost of a mount. Even a cheap one will run 70-90 USD, and you'll need to factor in a drop pole. Chief makes quality mounts that aren't too expensive but all in you are probably looking at $125 USD or so. Also how are you going to get power/cabling up there?

You can also table mount it, like in between your seats, or put it on a bookshelf behind you if that's easier. Deciding which option has an effect on which PJ you should get.

These days you can get a surprisingly good looking PJ for well under $1k USD new. More money gets you better black levels (but todays budget PJs are still better than all but the best high end PJs of just a few years ago), quieter performance, better placement flexibility (horizontal/vertical lens shift, power zoom, wider throws, etc.) and usually some image processing doodads that a lot of people turn off anyway. If you can live without/work around those you'll be fine.

That's why knowing placement and viewing distance up front is important, because different budget PJs do certain things better than others. Some have very short throws and are great if you want a fairly large image but need to put the PJ close to the screen, but aren't bright enough for longer distances. Some have wider zoom angles and better brightness but have very loud fans making them more appropriate to mount further away from you. Etc.

For example the Optoma HD26 is a great little 1080p PJ that you can get new for $600 and throws a clean bright image but can sound like a hair dryer if you are sitting next to it or directly under it.

Finally, don't cheap out on the screen/save it for later. If you are going to bother with a PJ at all get a screen too otherwise you are wasting your time OMHO. You can get an Elite screen off Amazon that is easy to put together and hang for around $200 and it will be just fine for a budget PJ. And a shitload better than a wall or sheet. Size recommendation, like the PJ, depends on the answers to the questions above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Ixian posted:

Throw - is that 11.5 wall to wall or did you already account for the PJ size/venting? If you are looking to mount it off a rafter I assume you did but just checking. Is 11.5 the furthest rafter back then?

Seating - what is your actual seating distance going to be? Eyeball to screen distance.

If you are mounting off a rafter you need to factor in the cost of a mount. Even a cheap one will run 70-90 USD, and you'll need to factor in a drop pole. Chief makes quality mounts that aren't too expensive but all in you are probably looking at $125 USD or so. Also how are you going to get power/cabling up there?

You can also table mount it, like in between your seats, or put it on a bookshelf behind you if that's easier. Deciding which option has an effect on which PJ you should get.

These days you can get a surprisingly good looking PJ for well under $1k USD new. More money gets you better black levels (but todays budget PJs are still better than all but the best high end PJs of just a few years ago), quieter performance, better placement flexibility (horizontal/vertical lens shift, power zoom, wider throws, etc.) and usually some image processing doodads that a lot of people turn off anyway. If you can live without/work around those you'll be fine.

That's why knowing placement and viewing distance up front is important, because different budget PJs do certain things better than others. Some have very short throws and are great if you want a fairly large image but need to put the PJ close to the screen, but aren't bright enough for longer distances. Some have wider zoom angles and better brightness but have very loud fans making them more appropriate to mount further away from you. Etc.

For example the Optoma HD26 is a great little 1080p PJ that you can get new for $600 and throws a clean bright image but can sound like a hair dryer if you are sitting next to it or directly under it.

Finally, don't cheap out on the screen/save it for later. If you are going to bother with a PJ at all get a screen too otherwise you are wasting your time OMHO. You can get an Elite screen off Amazon that is easy to put together and hang for around $200 and it will be just fine for a budget PJ. And a shitload better than a wall or sheet. Size recommendation, like the PJ, depends on the answers to the questions above.

The furthest rafter back is roughly 11.5' on center from the wall the projector will be throwing to. The couch will be up against that wall, probably 12' from the wall–I'm not at home to measure it, but its just a touch back from the last rafter basically.

Don't mind spending the extra hundo or so on the mounting, had already thought about it but probably should have mentioned that.

If we can do the projector and the screen for sub 1k, that's fine, but otherwise we don't mind dealing with a bad picture for a couple of weeks while we gather of skrilla to throw down on the screen. Just looking to get some kind of thing going so we can watch some Stargate while we continue to unpack and stuff for the next month or so :~).

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

The March Hare posted:

The furthest rafter back is roughly 11.5' on center from the wall the projector will be throwing to. The couch will be up against that wall, probably 12' from the wall–I'm not at home to measure it, but its just a touch back from the last rafter basically.

Don't mind spending the extra hundo or so on the mounting, had already thought about it but probably should have mentioned that.

If we can do the projector and the screen for sub 1k, that's fine, but otherwise we don't mind dealing with a bad picture for a couple of weeks while we gather of skrilla to throw down on the screen. Just looking to get some kind of thing going so we can watch some Stargate while we continue to unpack and stuff for the next month or so :~).

I'm going to help you though "hundo" and "skrilla" earned you a eyeroll :) With a viewing distance about equal to the PJ - let's call it 11.5 - you could probably get a 120 inch diagonal 16x9 image with a PJ that has a short throw. Possibly larger - people do it - though I'm not personally a fan of images so large they go outside my field of view at the distance I view them.

Finding a budget PJ that can throw a 120 inch image from 11.5 feet and be bright enough for you to enjoy it without blacking the room out like a cave is another story. So in the end you'd probably be just as happy with a 100, or even a 106, inch screen - both are pretty common sizes (and way bigger than any TV you can get) and have a much easier time getting everything to work.

Any good budget PJ can handle 100 or 106 at that throw distance.

Your second issue to consider - and another reason to think about going a little smaller - is you'll be right under the PJ, meaning you don't want one with a loud fan. As a very general rule of thumb, the brighter a PJ the louder the fan, relative to cost (meaning you can get very bright PJs that are also very quiet, but not for under a grand).

The smaller the image, the less light the PJ has to pump out over the screen, and the less you have to worry about this. You may even get away with being able to use the PJ's lamp in "eco" mode, with which most brands will significantly extend the lamp life and lower the cooling fan noise.

With all that said, my pick would be the BenQ TH670 for you:

It's $600 USD new, with a two year warranty
Fan noise is very low for a budget PJ
Excellent picture quality for TV and movies
Bright enough for your room/placement
Bulb life is claimed at 10,000 hours in eco mode, which is extreme. I would take this with a slight grain of salt but it's still very long.
It has pretty low lag in "gaming" mode - it's fairly popular with console gamers.

Like all budget PJs it has its shortcomings. For most, the biggest is placement flexibility - there's no lens shift of any kind, only digital keystone correction (which you don't want to use) which means you'll need to place it, or the screen, or both, exactly where you need the image to go. Since you are talking about a ceiling mount on a rafter you probably have more placement flexibility then most, since you can adjust the mount side to side (before permanently attaching it, naturally), and if you get an adjustable drop pole, up and down. Protip: You'll want one of those.

A few things to keep in mind as a new PJ owner:

They aren't TVs - they can take up to a minute to fully warm up when you turn them on, and you need to make sure to turn them off (or let auto-off do it for you). Generally, and especially on the cheaper ones, you can't turn them back on immediately after turning them off or you'll blow the lamp. You need to let it cool for a couple minutes, at least. Most PJs have a mode that goes in to standby and runs the fan when you first turn them off.

They can work ok in ambient light, but they don't look nearly as bright as a TV does if you have lights on or outside light shining in. The darker the room the better and, it should go without saying, the less light that isn't from the PJ shining on the screen the better. There are PJs and screens that mitigate this to a large degree but they are way outside your budget.

Like a lot of budget PJs the BenQ comes with little speakers but those are meant for presentation/etc. use - you won't like them for watching TV. Meaning, you need an external sound system to work with this setup.

Don't forget about cables and power to the rafter. Doing that right (i.e. so it's not some swag-wire POS setup) can take more time than anything else, and can get expensive if you bring an electrician in because there's no outlet in the ceiling.

Finally, setting this up properly, particularly a budget PJ without lens shift and limited offset/throw, is harder than you think. Read up on it online and be prepared to spend some time mounting it correctly, squaring it off, etc. Otherwise your image is going to come out looking janked.

If all this sounds like a complete pain in the rear end to you I should also point out that if you are willing to drop up to a grand you can get a pretty solid 55-65 inch TV these days that will look great and be a shitload easier to set up in all regards.

I still wouldn't recommend waiting on the screen - you really aren't going to like it projected on a brick wall - but do what you have to do. "Skrilla" as it were. At least make sure you place it correctly and measure/try the zoom to see how big an image works for you before you buy one. Keeping in mind that it's going to be hard to judge the end brightness result without the screen in place.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
So projectors don't do sound, and they sit behind and above the viewer. It's usually simpler to keep components (of which the PJ is one) close together for cabling reasons, but if you want to control something with IR it needs to be line-of-sight, which is usually easiest in front of the viewer. Further, most components (esp. the receiver) want to live on the ground, not on the ceiling.

The standard TV setup is very simple: put everything (ignoring speakers) up front with the TV. The right way to do things doesn't seem so straightforward to me with a projector.

Is there a standard way of doing things so you can control your components (the PJ, a receiver, and at least a content-supplying gadget like a stick/HTPC/Apple TV), route the sound sensibly*, and keep cable runs to a minimum?

How are people squaring the circle? I'm probably missing something simple (or it's just a PITA and I have to suck it up if I decide on a projector), but at this point I think I stress about this more than choosing a projector.

* To clarify my issue with audio routing: Right now I send all my AV inputs (which are all HDMI) through my TV, then send TV audio out to my old no-HDMI-inputs receiver, which I just use as an amp and distributor. I get that I need to reroute things with a PJ, so all my HDMI inputs come into a (probably new) receiver which sends video out to the PJ and routes audio. That seems to make the cabling problem worse though. If I put it up front I'm running a giant fuckoff HDMI cable run to the PJ, and if I put in back I have the IR-remote problem.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

why couldn't you use a Harmony smart hub and a few IR blasters and put everything wherever?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have my projector, htpc, and receiver all in a media rack to the right of my couch. We just point our remotes at the screen and the IR bounces back towards our gear. No issues. You'll probably want to make sure you have fresh batteries in your remotes.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

sellouts posted:

why couldn't you use a Harmony smart hub and a few IR blasters and put everything wherever?

I could, but it adds complexity/budget. I may go down this road eventually, but it would be nice to think about it later, after the main projector/screen buy/install is done.

revmoo posted:

I have my projector, htpc, and receiver all in a media rack to the right of my couch. We just point our remotes at the screen and the IR bounces back towards our gear. No issues. You'll probably want to make sure you have fresh batteries in your remotes.

You know, I hadn't really considered that I'm going to have a wall-sized reflective surface right in front of me when I'm doing all this.

So, uh, yeah. Good point. Guess I'll just park things within LOS of the screen and I should be good to go.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah I think you'll be just fine, our remotes have worked flawlessly with this method for like two years now.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

pgroce posted:

So projectors don't do sound, and they sit behind and above the viewer. It's usually simpler to keep components (of which the PJ is one) close together for cabling reasons, but if you want to control something with IR it needs to be line-of-sight, which is usually easiest in front of the viewer. Further, most components (esp. the receiver) want to live on the ground, not on the ceiling.

The standard TV setup is very simple: put everything (ignoring speakers) up front with the TV. The right way to do things doesn't seem so straightforward to me with a projector.

Is there a standard way of doing things so you can control your components (the PJ, a receiver, and at least a content-supplying gadget like a stick/HTPC/Apple TV), route the sound sensibly*, and keep cable runs to a minimum?

How are people squaring the circle? I'm probably missing something simple (or it's just a PITA and I have to suck it up if I decide on a projector), but at this point I think I stress about this more than choosing a projector.

* To clarify my issue with audio routing: Right now I send all my AV inputs (which are all HDMI) through my TV, then send TV audio out to my old no-HDMI-inputs receiver, which I just use as an amp and distributor. I get that I need to reroute things with a PJ, so all my HDMI inputs come into a (probably new) receiver which sends video out to the PJ and routes audio. That seems to make the cabling problem worse though. If I put it up front I'm running a giant fuckoff HDMI cable run to the PJ, and if I put in back I have the IR-remote problem.

I used to have my things in a cabinet on a back wall. This worked fine with a Harmony, I've since removed the cabinet and put everything to the left of the screen on an adjacent wall where the IR bounces fine off the screen as well, or I can point to the equipment, or just use the Harmony, so I've got choices. I've got a ceiling mounted outlet and a 35 foot HDMI cable that runs in the walls to the PJ. It seems to be good for 4k60 @ 4:2:0, but a little glitchy at that rate so I like to run it at 4k24hz when I can. or just 1080p @ 60hz. And to answer your sound question all HDMI video and sound runs through the receiver, there are exceptions to the rule, but this is generally how it goes.

Anyway, this works for me right now, I plan on building some kind of side bar or something to box this rack in:

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

I got the OK from my Fiancee for a projector, once our wedding is over with. She's not a fan of the furniture setup for the room that would be most conducive to a projector (putting the PJ 4-5' behind us) so I'm looking at getting a smaller form factor that would sit above our couch.

As such, my question is: how loud is going to be too loud? Should I go for something like a LED ultra short throw, or just get the quietest one that I can afford? BenQ's HT2050 seems to top a lot of Budget lists... a larger/quieter one might be too big for being over our heads (ceiling height is 6' 5"). The room will be very dark, so I can get away with lower brightness settings I think. I don't have a screen, so I can also get a low gain screen if that will help things...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I'd get the LG PF1000U personally. LED, quiet, ultra short throw means no weird furniture arrangements.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

pgroce posted:

You could use long run IR-Blasters for all components - if they support them. I have my screen coming down infront of my TV, so all components are setup for TV use, but there is a wild pair of CAT6 cables that go off to the Projector. HDMI baluns are cheap ($20ish at Monoprice) and work fine for 1080p. I simply use the remote to turn the projector on and off (and the rare times I need the menu), and everything else is handled up front. Then again I am not the kind of guy that tinkers with it every time. Back when I had a CRT projector setup, that was a different animal. Weekly tinkering, wallfishing 5 strand BNC RGB, and dealing with 70db fans, but the image was worth it.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
A friend of mine who knows nothing about home theater is looking to me for advice. Ive got projector smarts, but the models hes looking at, Im unfamiliar with. Im looking to get some input from the thread. Hes putting in a 123" diagonal 16x9. his layout requires a 184" lens to screen throw. the projector will be on a shelf, about 12" off center of the screen. So basically, he needs a 1.72 throw ratio lens and a projector with vertical and horizontal digital keystone. This eliminates the popular LG LED, The W1070, Epson 5030, and many other popular PJs. He knows keystone compromises, but he has no options. Budget is $2000 for projector. Looking at projector central it looks like the only two machines that meet this criteria are the Epson 3500/3600/3600e and the BenQ HT4050. Both of these are well under his max budget.

So which of those two would be recommended? something else? seems like either one is good choice. maybe it just comes down to rainbow sensitivity on the DLP? any input is appreciated.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 6, 2016

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Cornjob posted:

A friend of mine who knows nothing about home theater is looking to me for advice. Ive got projector smarts, but the models hes looking at, Im unfamiliar with. Im looking to get some input from the thread. Hes putting in a 123" diagonal 16x9. his layout requires a 184" lens to screen throw. the projector will be on a shelf, about 12" off center of the screen. So basically, he needs a 1.72 throw ratio lens and a projector with vertical and horizontal digital keystone. This eliminates the popular LG LED, The W1070, Epson 5030, and many other popular PJs. He knows keystone compromises, but he has no options. Budget is $2000 for projector. Looking at projector central it looks like the only two machines that meet this criteria are the Epson 3500/3600/3600e and the BenQ HT4050. Both of these are well under his max budget.

So which of those two would be recommended? something else? seems like either one is good choice. maybe it just comes down to rainbow sensitivity on the DLP? any input is appreciated.

Uh, the 1070 and the Epson 5030 both have psychical lens shifts (vertical and vertical/horizontal, respectively) which eliminate the need for keystone.

For instance, I have a 5030 which hangs on my ceiling in line with the TOP of my screen. I can shift the image down to fill the screen without using any keystone; the lens shift keeps it in square. A 12 inch VERTICAL difference should be fine for the lens shift of any of the BenQs, all of which have vertical lens shift.

If you are talking about a 12 inch horizontal offset, the Epson 5030 would have no problem shifting the image over that amount using the horizontal lens shift.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

ShotgunWillie posted:

Uh, the 1070 and the Epson 5030 both have psychical lens shifts (vertical and vertical/horizontal, respectively) which eliminate the need for keystone.

For instance, I have a 5030 which hangs on my ceiling in line with the TOP of my screen. I can shift the image down to fill the screen without using any keystone; the lens shift keeps it in square. A 12 inch VERTICAL difference should be fine for the lens shift of any of the BenQs, all of which have vertical lens shift.

If you are talking about a 12 inch horizontal offset, the Epson 5030 would have no problem shifting the image over that amount using the horizontal lens shift.

Good to know. He said 12" but ill verify. It might be more.

Edit: i measured for him. Looks like its actually 21" left of center .

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 6, 2016

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -