Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I've been jonesing to get into a new card game or light RPG for a while but I dont know many traditional gamers and I live too far from gaming stores to be able to make investing in any worth it. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the LOTR LCG is both singe player and fun.

I've played CCGs before but never played an LCG, so I'm a little unfamiliar with the genre. It sounds like it's best to begin with the core set and then work through the expansions according to their release date, but it seems many are out of print. What's the best way to get a hold of these expansions? Also, any other tips for someone looking to get started in solo play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MeinPanzer posted:

I've been jonesing to get into a new card game or light RPG for a while but I dont know many traditional gamers and I live too far from gaming stores to be able to make investing in any worth it. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the LOTR LCG is both singe player and fun.

I've played CCGs before but never played an LCG, so I'm a little unfamiliar with the genre. It sounds like it's best to begin with the core set and then work through the expansions according to their release date, but it seems many are out of print. What's the best way to get a hold of these expansions? Also, any other tips for someone looking to get started in solo play?

The expansions go in and out of print, if you keep checking you will eventually get them

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

I was in the same boat, and this has become my favorite game by far. Start with a core box to see if you like it first. You can do single player with one deck, or play it with 2 decks at the same to make it "2 handed". This allows for a ton of flexibility in how you play, and there are strategies for each single or 2 hands. The game has a ton of replayabilty, as each quest can be approached in different ways depending on what type of hand you use.

Tales from the Cards has great new player guides here https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/new-player-guides/

The buying guide is essential if you get it and like the game enough
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

MeinPanzer posted:

A lot of people will say that the Mirkwood set isn't very good, but I feel like there are some pretty decent player cards in the cycle. What we did/are doing is starting with a core, added a second core because we typically play with 3, then started going through the APs in release order. We're sidetracking into the Hobbit sets at the moment until Khazad-Dum domes back into print (and to get some dwarves). I seriously can't recommend this game enough. When you lose...and you WILL...you'll typically have the feeling of "man, we've gotta try that again, like RIGHT NOW...I've got an idea!" instead of "man, we lost and f this game." Well, except for "We must away, ere break of day;" gently caress that poo poo.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'll add too that the decklists from ringsdb are really fun resources. It's helpful to read and see what interesting synergies that other people are using (and you'll find a handful of heroes that are used in those decks often, like Spirit Glorfindel)

http://ringsdb.com/

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

sassassin posted:

Like a lot of Noldor characters, yeah.

Silvan is supposed to be a different theme.

To be fair, Eowyn did discard first, as did Protector of Lorien (which is Silvan from a thematic standpoint), so it's not like any keyword owns one particular mechanic.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

Also, any other tips for someone looking to get started in solo play?

Also, each quest is a puzzle, and may take multiple approaches to actually beat it. Deckbuilding is a HUGE part of this game, you will need to keep tweaking and altering a deck to meet a quest challenge. You wont be able to make one desk and just blast through each quest with that deck.

Or if you are not crazy about deckbuilidng rings db has you covered. Lots of great and fun builds there,

Here are some recommended decks using one core set. Both are really strong, and have nice descriptions of synergies and tips for playing the decks.
http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/961/seastan-s-single-core-set-solo-2.0
http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/951/back-to-basics-a-killer-deck-using-cards-from-1-core-set-1.0

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Whoever designed Return To Mirkwood is a goddam sadist :gonk:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Another Arkham Horror mechanics update https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/30/mystery-murder-and-madness/

Detailing the encounter deck this time. For LotR players, how similar is it? Seems pretty decent to me, but I'm lacking too much of the framework of coop LCGs to really say.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I never thought I'd wish I lived in Minnesota before.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/30/arkham-nights-2016/

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

EVGA Longoria posted:

Another Arkham Horror mechanics update https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/30/mystery-murder-and-madness/

Detailing the encounter deck this time. For LotR players, how similar is it? Seems pretty decent to me, but I'm lacking too much of the framework of coop LCGs to really say.

Some stuff seems very similar like the construction of encounter decks, but then it pulls disparate design choices from various quests tested in LotR and applies them as core mechanics to the whole game. The earlier preview that had you putting Paranoia cards in your deck is like certain Burdens from LotR campaign mode, in this preview the enemy collecting Doom tokens looks comparable to Flight of the Stormcaller et al, where the enemy has its own quest that it tries to complete. (Maybe it's more like the Time mechanic in Ring-maker)

The actual cards look to be a halfway point between LotR and Eldritch Horror. LotR doesn't really do things like the Forced: effect on Frozen in Fear.

Theoretically these mechanics should work fine, as they come well tested. The question is where do they go in future expansions? Ideally they wouldn't want to tread back into LotR design space, so the core mechanics that differentiate it from standard LotR have to remain. All told I expect a well polished game that'll sit fine alongside LotR, occupying a space a bit more towards experience generation, and away from the occasionally dry number-crunching of deck construction.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

mongol posted:

To be fair, Eowyn did discard first, as did Protector of Lorien (which is Silvan from a thematic standpoint), so it's not like any keyword owns one particular mechanic.

Technically the art depicts Galadriel (Noldor) bestowing a title on a hero, so thematically she's sharing out her Noldorinish trait with that card.

Really I've been hoping they'd find new ground for the Mirkwood Silvan crew. Cramming Legolas into the Noldor gimmick is just boring.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 1, 2016

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I picked up the LoTR core set and I'm loving it so far, but I'm getting bogged down in the FAQs with a few questions that I'm hoping someone could answer.

If a location is in the staging area, I can choose not to travel to it, right? And, if that is the case, then can I still quest and put progress tokens on the active quest card even if there are location cards in the staging area? Obviously they contribute their threat, but I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

Also, does that mean that you could potentially complete a scenario with several location cards sitting in the staging area? (Again, provided the willpower you are devoting to questing is great enough to put progress tokens down.)

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

MeinPanzer posted:

I picked up the LoTR core set and I'm loving it so far, but I'm getting bogged down in the FAQs with a few questions that I'm hoping someone could answer.

If a location is in the staging area, I can choose not to travel to it, right? And, if that is the case, then can I still quest and put progress tokens on the active quest card even if there are location cards in the staging area? Obviously they contribute their threat, but I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

Also, does that mean that you could potentially complete a scenario with several location cards sitting in the staging area? (Again, provided the willpower you are devoting to questing is great enough to put progress tokens down.)

Yes, you can leave a Location in the staging area. Traveling to one isn't mandatory as long as the Location/quest doesn't say otherwise. Then during questing you put all your Progress Tokens on the active quest as long as there is no active Location (like from traveling to another one earlier and you haven't cleared it yet).

Clearing Location is normally also not mandatory (it depends again on the Quest or the Location) to win a quest.

And yeah, as long as they are in the staging area Locations contribute their threat but normally don't do much else.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Selecta84 posted:

Yes, you can leave a Location in the staging area. Traveling to one isn't mandatory as long as the Location/quest doesn't say otherwise. Then during questing you put all your Progress Tokens on the active quest as long as there is no active Location (like from traveling to another one earlier and you haven't cleared it yet).

Clearing Location is normally also not mandatory (it depends again on the Quest or the Location) to win a quest.

And yeah, as long as they are in the staging area Locations contribute their threat but normally don't do much else.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification!

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Generally, the only reason to travel to any location is to negate its threat. It's easy to get location-locked since you can usually only deal with one location per round, at most. Cards like Northern Tracker, Snowbourn Scout, and Asfaloth can help chip away at a location pileup.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Did I miss that someone started a Game of Thrones 2.0 thread or are people just kind of bored with the game?

Also people are saying on the FFG boards that FFG has lost the license for Games Workshop stuff so RIP Conquest and the Warhammer Quest ACG.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Hah. Someone already forked an Arkham DB deckbuilding site.
http://arkhamdb.com/

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PaybackJack posted:

Did I miss that someone started a Game of Thrones 2.0 thread or are people just kind of bored with the game?

I'm thinking it's just a lull. Things are spoiled out for like the next 4 months, so it's just about waiting (or so I hope, I don't think people are bored of it). Tourneys have also slowed down a bit with no regionals/Gencon/Nationals. Also building decks now to me seems a bit futile since Valar will be out in a month or so to blow up the meta.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

PaybackJack posted:

Also people are saying on the FFG boards that FFG has lost the license for Games Workshop stuff so RIP Conquest and the Warhammer Quest ACG.

The only LCG with it's own thread is Netrunner. We talk about GoT here often. The Games Workskop stuff is old news at this point.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PaybackJack posted:

I haven't played much recently so I have nothing too crazy to post. I'm mostly waiting for the Lions expansion and the next small expansion to really beef up the 3 main decks I use.

One thing I can state though, is that the new summer plot from the last expansion is amazing and I can't believe that you can have two in a deck. I'm running a silly Night Watch/Kings of Summer agenda deck with a bunch of neutrals thrown in and my strat is to use the new summer plot right at the beginning of the game because I found people generally try to go big money right at the start. My plan against a guy in my playgroup worked as he played Pentoshi. I walked away with a 17 gold starting turn and was able to put Old Bear and Jon Snow out same turn. Dude held in there, but Nights Watch is getting brutal with their money steal and new plot cards able to generate big dollars.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Bottom Liner posted:

The Games Workskop stuff is old news at this point.

I must have filitered it out. Feels like this has been the Lord of the Rings thread for the past couple months. People have barely been discussing the Game of Thrones spoilers which are looking pretty interesting.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Will existing FFG GW products keep getting sold? I kind of want to buy into Conquest but don't want to right now

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Welp, we're now 0-3 against We Must Away Ere Break of Day. These trolls... I feel like we did better this time than the last 2, but threated out this go around. We were able to manage the troll reasonably well with some chump blockers and hit hard back with Gimli and Thoren. Some takeaways:

>Core Gandalf rules supreme over Hobbit expansion Gandalf. I could be wrong here, but threat was killing us and having to pay threat to keep him around sucked. Besides, 4 damage on those trolls with Sneak Attack is awesome.
>The Tactics/Lore recommended deck needs more attachments.
>The Leadership/Spirit recommended deck needs more dudes, and more threat lowering cards.
>You need to build up fairly quickly, since the encounter deck is mostly locations, and that poo poo gums up the encounter area quick-like.
>Sacked cards suck.

I *think* that since our 3rd player is out still, that we're going to try it next time, each playing 2 handed with 4 monosphere decks. Of course, that'll probably cause even MORE locations to stack up, but it's worth a shot. Still the best game on earth.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

The Black Stones posted:

One thing I can state though, is that the new summer plot from the last expansion is amazing and I can't believe that you can have two in a deck. I'm running a silly Night Watch/Kings of Summer agenda deck with a bunch of neutrals thrown in and my strat is to use the new summer plot right at the beginning of the game because I found people generally try to go big money right at the start. My plan against a guy in my playgroup worked as he played Pentoshi. I walked away with a 17 gold starting turn and was able to put Old Bear and Jon Snow out same turn. Dude held in there, but Nights Watch is getting brutal with their money steal and new plot cards able to generate big dollars.

Alternatively, the Summer Harvest plot can ruin your day if your opponent flops the new Varys's Riddle plot the same turn. It's a clunky ruling, but it officially goes like this:

Varys's Riddle (VR) player chooses himself to be first player.
VR player chooses Summer Harvest's (SH) When Revealed effect to resolve first.
SH player looks at his opponent's plot and chooses the VR plot for X, so SH's printed gold is now 5+2=7.
VR player resolves SH's text as if it were his, looking at his opponent's plot (SH), which has a printed gold of X (0), making SH's printed gold now 0+2=2.

Because there's two conflicting values for X on the Summer Harvest plot now, the first player gets to choose the order in which they're assigned, resulting in the SH player getting only 2 gold for Income. It seems Varys's Riddle is making its way into a lot of Plot Decks lately since its release, so it's something to watch out for, especially if you're running double Harvests.

In other news, I love different Night's Watch builds so much that I pulled the trigger on 3 sets of Core NW cards from eBay for ~$15, so I can have a couple drastically different decks together at once to play with. My current build has been Martell/Watch with lots of icon removal and with the recent inclusion of Craven, it's starting to actually compete. I still need to make a lot of changes to it, but my playing is generally limited to one guy (though we may have roped in another recently!), so my decks are a bit warped around what he plays. Really want to tinker with a few NW cards in a deck NOT centered around the Wall, so that'll be my first thing to do when I get the extra sets.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I've been playing with some NW Choke decks for a tournament this weekend, and they're fun. I don't know if they're quite game-day ready, but it's definitely a unique playstyle.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Speaking of Martell/Watch, I recently flipped it around to Watch/Martell. You still get all the attachments, Maester Cressen, and Nymeria Sand.

But what you gain is the dream team of Arianne and Arry.

Marshal Arianne. Use her for defense or offense or whatever. At some point, swap her out for Arry. Use Arry for whatever, but don't pick her up unless you need to.

Next round, marshal Arianne again. You can use both for whatever challenges. After using both, you pick up Arry, draw a card, then use Arianne's action to put Arry back into play.

Makes defending the Wall easy most of the time. I originally wasn't even going to run the Wall, but then I found out how good these two are at defending it. You get a TON of work out of these two.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

StashAugustine posted:

Will existing FFG GW products keep getting sold? I kind of want to buy into Conquest but don't want to right now

I'm unloading my set cheap if you want. Not because of the licensing, I just don't play.

40K Conquest sets:
3 core sets
Warlord Cycle:
The Howl of Blackmane
The Scourge
Gift of the Ethereals
Zogwort's Curse
The Threat Beyond
Descendants of Isha
The Great Devourer Deluxe Expansion
First 5 Packs of Planetfall Cycle
Decree of Ruin
Boundless Hate
Deadly Salvage
What Lurks Below
Wrath of the Crusaders
Some bits punched, some unpunched.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ConfusedUs posted:

Speaking of Martell/Watch, I recently flipped it around to Watch/Martell. You still get all the attachments, Maester Cressen, and Nymeria Sand.

But what you gain is the dream team of Arianne and Arry.

Marshal Arianne. Use her for defense or offense or whatever. At some point, swap her out for Arry. Use Arry for whatever, but don't pick her up unless you need to.

Next round, marshal Arianne again. You can use both for whatever challenges. After using both, you pick up Arry, draw a card, then use Arianne's action to put Arry back into play.

Makes defending the Wall easy most of the time. I originally wasn't even going to run the Wall, but then I found out how good these two are at defending it. You get a TON of work out of these two.

Isn't that kind of expensive though? Arianne is great when you can reduce her cost with Martell locations and reducers.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It can be, but when you consider you're getting 9 gold worth of challeges (Arianne + Arry) out of her cost, it's not as bad as it sounds.

It's a really good combo.

Also, Blood Orange Grove is not loyal. They're worth 2-3x in this deck because you're gonna want to play Martell attachments and/or Arianne every turn possible

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The WH40K license being lost has been speculated on but never confirmed here afaik. Kind of a big deal. Would love to see GW explain that in their next Annual Report.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PJOmega posted:

The WH40K license being lost has been speculated on but never confirmed here afaik. Kind of a big deal. Would love to see GW explain that in their next Annual Report.

This is obviously just rumors and innuendo, but form what I had heard was it had to do with Asmodee picking up FFG. GW sees Asmodee as a competitor since they're also European, and GW is in general trying to branch out into being more a gaming company rather than just being a miniature company (which had been their previous line).

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
It still hasn't been confirmed, just a bunch of individual events all pointing towards it. The latest is FFG just pulled all GW stuff from DriveThru RPG over the weekend.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Also, isn't FF doing a tabletop minis game based on RuneAge/Bound/whatever next year? GW probably didn't take very kindly to that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Pretty sure GW would have no knowledge of that and it was the other way around, FFG saying "take your licenses, we'll compete with your lovely Age of Sigmar and print money."

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

If true is they probably just got outbid by another company who wanted it more, rather than anything so dramatic.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ConfusedUs posted:

It can be, but when you consider you're getting 9 gold worth of challeges (Arianne + Arry) out of her cost, it's not as bad as it sounds.

It's a really good combo.

Also, Blood Orange Grove is not loyal. They're worth 2-3x in this deck because you're gonna want to play Martell attachments and/or Arianne every turn possible

I was thinking BOG was loyal for some reason. Carry on.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Speaking of Game of Thrones, the next pack (For Family Honor) has been spoiled out: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/41894/game-thrones-second-edition-lcg-spoilers

King Renly is kinda hilariously flavored, although his ability seems pretty bad until they print a lot more usable loyal Tyrell cards. I can't even really remember too many off the top of my head, but I also don't play Tyrell that often, so.

Bear Island seems pretty expensive for what it does, but all these non-0 or 1 cost economy locations seem pretty meh to me.

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words

GrandpaPants posted:

Speaking of Game of Thrones, the next pack (For Family Honor) has been spoiled out: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/41894/game-thrones-second-edition-lcg-spoilers

King Renly is kinda hilariously flavored, although his ability seems pretty bad until they print a lot more usable loyal Tyrell cards. I can't even really remember too many off the top of my head, but I also don't play Tyrell that often, so.

Bear Island seems pretty expensive for what it does, but all these non-0 or 1 cost economy locations seem pretty meh to me.

King Renly is disappointing, but not completely terrible. I've been having some fun on OCTGN with Tyrell Kings of Summer, focusing on Knights and renown (of course) with card draw. The reserve has really helped and I shaped my deck around all Summer so it works much better than Fealty for me.

I really don't think Renly's drawback will be catching him too often, though who knows with the new King attachments and how popular Renly himself becomes. But he is just another Renown character - it doesn't give Tyrell any more options that they didn't already have other than some Renown on an intrigue icon. It doesn't solve any of their issues about board impact or control. Since the rest of the cycle Tyrell isn't spoiled I will hold out that massive hands will pay off in some way other than one extra claim. Maybe a 4 cost Margaery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

If true is they probably just got outbid by another company who wanted it more, rather than anything so dramatic.

Maybe so, but GW was actively soliciting their IP's as of a couple of months ago.