Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Oh hey, 7.8" Kobo

http://www.mobilescout.com/rumors/news/n69612/78-inch-Kobo-Aura-One-eBook-reader-spotted-FCC.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Alright, this might not be the appropriate thread (and if it's not, please point me in the right direction) but it was the best fit I saw. I just recently got one of those 50$ Amazon Fire tablets and was transferring over some books I got from a Humble Bundle a while back. I got them all on my tablet just fine, and they show up under the "new items" tab, but when I got to my library, they're not there at all. I can read through the ones on the new items tab just fine, and it syncs with Goodreads and everything. I've rebooted my tablet to see if it just needed time to fully sync up, and they still refuse to show up in my library proper.

Is this a known issue, and how can I fix it?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
You might need to select ALL in the library or DOCUMENTS instead of BOOKS.

That's about the only thing I can think of.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Yea, unfortunately that was one of the first things I tried. It's weird, I can still select the books through my file explorer app, they just refuse to pop up in my library.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Would somebody kindly give me the newbie guide to file formats? I'm planning on buying a Kindle soon. Obviously it will work with files I buy from the Amazon store, but what about other formats? Is there anything I should be aware of and watch out for, or any special things some formats do that others don't? Or should I just Calibre everything to a workable state and have done with it?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

John Lee posted:

Would somebody kindly give me the newbie guide to file formats? I'm planning on buying a Kindle soon. Obviously it will work with files I buy from the Amazon store, but what about other formats? Is there anything I should be aware of and watch out for, or any special things some formats do that others don't? Or should I just Calibre everything to a workable state and have done with it?

There is nothing special about what other formats do that's relevant if you aren't writing and publishing your own books. You can indeed use Calibre to convert EPUB and other formats to AZW3 and MOBI for the Kindle to use (though note that especially on the latest high res Kindles, many PDF format books are ok to just transfer over directly)

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Kobo Announces New Premium E-Reader

Not gonna lie... I'm all over this. 7.8" hi-res screen? Said screen is also flush to the bezels? Color Temperature warming options? Integrated Overdrive? And even more waterproof than the Aura H20?

Man. I already own an Oasis and I'm still getting this. I've wanted a bigger screen on a dedicated e-reader that isn't just some Android tablet trash from overseas forever. I have an Aura H20 as well and it's a great pool-side device, I'll happily move my e-reading lock-in to the Kobo store if prices are the same as they are on Amazon (which they have been the few times I've checked). The only things this is missing are: dedicated turn buttons (I like them but can live without) and 3G (nice to have, not really critical).

They're also releasing this in a typical 6" form factor as well, but gently caress that, that's just way too small and I'm beyond annoyed that it's been the dominant, nay, only size available in a real e-readers since the DX.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

smr posted:

Not gonna lie... I'm all over this. 7.8" hi-res screen? Said screen is also flush to the bezels? Color Temperature warming options? Integrated Overdrive? And even more waterproof than the Aura H20?

Man. I already own an Oasis and I'm still getting this. I've wanted a bigger screen on a dedicated e-reader that isn't just some Android tablet trash from overseas forever. I have an Aura H20 as well and it's a great pool-side device, I'll happily move my e-reading lock-in to the Kobo store if prices are the same as they are on Amazon (which they have been the few times I've checked). The only things this is missing are: dedicated turn buttons (I like them but can live without) and 3G (nice to have, not really critical).

They're also releasing this in a typical 6" form factor as well, but gently caress that, that's just way too small and I'm beyond annoyed that it's been the dominant, nay, only size available in a real e-readers since the DX.

6.9mm despite that enormous screen? :eyepop:

It is kind of heavy at 230g. I don't know if I'd be comfortable holding that for more than an hour.

It looks great. I love the automatic (or manual) color temperature, and it's actually reasonably priced. IPX8 is an impressive amount of waterproofing, too.

That said, I do think the Oasis is overall the better device. I wish they'd made it 6.8'' but you can't have everything.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 17, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kobo needs to team up with Google to provide access to Google Books. Then I would say it has a killer feature set.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

6.9mm despite that enormous screen? :eyepop:

It is kind of heavy at 230g. I don't know if I'd be comfortable holding that for more than an hour.

It looks great. I love the automatic (or manual) color temperature, and it's actually reasonably priced. IPX8 is an impressive amount of waterproofing, too.

That said, I do think the Oasis is overall the better device. I wish they'd made it 6.8'' but you can't have everything.

Yeah, it's thinner than a 6S Plus, which is just bonkers.

The Oasis is very, very nice, but I prefer how the Kobo allows one to organize their library way more than how the Kindle allows. Yeah, I use Calibre for converting between the two but for native books bought on-device, I like how the Kobo does it. And, dat screen. The Oasis is just frickin' tiny.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
What ever happened to the generic version of that giant Sony reader somebody crowdfunded?

- edit Found it. The Good e-Reader 13.3 for $600 - It's shipping next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWQmLszu_mI

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

smr posted:

drat, this is really slick. I wonder how hard it would be to sell my paperwhite?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Kobo needs to team up with Google to provide access to Google Books. Then I would say it has a killer feature set.

I have a Kobo and usually buy from Google Books. Best thing you can do is download from there, circumventing DRM as necessary, and then use Calibre with whatever that Advanced Kobo plugin is to send the file over.

...Direct access sure would be nice.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Call Me Charlie posted:

What ever happened to the generic version of that giant Sony reader somebody crowdfunded?

- edit Found it. The Good e-Reader 13.3 for $600 - It's shipping next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWQmLszu_mI

Isn't the Sony one down near that price these days? It's still PDF-only, though, which is dumb.

13.3 is on the end of the size spectrum for me from "way too small". iPad Mini-ish size is what I prefer for reading, works great with the non-fiction I tend to favor. Bigger would probably be great if textbooks or ridiculous PDFs were still a big part of my life.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Manky posted:

I have a Kobo and usually buy from Google Books. Best thing you can do is download from there, circumventing DRM as necessary, and then use Calibre with whatever that Advanced Kobo plugin is to send the file over.

...Direct access sure would be nice.

For whatever it's worth, Calibre has been great at stripping and moving all of my Amazon books over to the H2O so far, so I imagine Google stuff will as well too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google Books stuff is less about DRM and more about progress syncing. It's nice to make progress on a book with your phone if you are waiting on something. But it gets annoying to manually jump around on both.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Google Books stuff is less about DRM and more about progress syncing. It's nice to make progress on a book with your phone if you are waiting on something. But it gets annoying to manually jump around on both.

Yeah, this is the main reason I don't use an ereader anymore. Phone is always with me, Play books is the best store and app, and ereader doesn't sync.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I only read on my Kindle so I have no need to sync :shrug:

Ravens Ruse
Aug 17, 2016

I'm new.... I have no clue and frequently state the obvious
I had a Kindle paper white for 5 years and loved it, but now have a Kobo Aura... in Australia we can only borrow from the library via Kobo, even so I mostly buy books I want to read as the library still don't have as many books to borrow on ereader as I'd like.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
So my Kobo Aura ONE arrived today. I love how bright/big the screen is. Doesn't work right out of the box with Calibre, but if you enabled experimental features in Calibre it works just fine.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Grawl posted:

So my Kobo Aura ONE arrived today. I love how bright/big the screen is. Doesn't work right out of the box with Calibre, but if you enabled experimental features in Calibre it works just fine.

They are really on to something with the "reduce blue light at night" feature. This is where Amazon is really behind. I hate the blue-hospital tempature light of my Voyage at night. Nightshift, f-lux, etc, have made me want different lightning temperatures at night, and it's not going away. It's what people want with all devices nowadays.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

hotsauce posted:

They are really on to something with the "reduce blue light at night" feature. This is where Amazon is really behind. I hate the blue-hospital tempature light of my Voyage at night. Nightshift, f-lux, etc, have made me want different lightning temperatures at night, and it's not going away. It's what people want with all devices nowadays.

I agree. I'm surprised they haven't implemented that in a firmware update for the Voyage and Oasis yet, if nothing else. Unless their LEDs are monochromatic? (they probably are)

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Grawl posted:

Did you get a "shipped" notification or anything other than the receipt from when you made the purchase? I ordered mine on the 30th when they made the pre-order available, would love if it just showed up this week.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
It's about drat time someone made a bigger e-reader! I read a lot of technical books so this is a godsend.

I'm really surprised at how feature rich the Kobo is compared to the Kindle. Pocket integration is really neat.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Waynebo posted:

It's about drat time someone made a bigger e-reader! I read a lot of technical books so this is a godsend.

I'm really surprised at how feature rich the Kobo is compared to the Kindle. Pocket integration is really neat.

Does it feel particularly heavy after holding it for prolonged periods? Do you have a cover for it?

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Does it feel particularly heavy after holding it for prolonged periods? Do you have a cover for it?

I've only had it for one day, but it doesn't feel particularly heavy. The side bezels are pretty thin though so I've been holding it from the bottom.

I didn't buy a cover since the only one available is $50

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

smr posted:

Did you get a "shipped" notification or anything other than the receipt from when you made the purchase? I ordered mine on the 30th when they made the pre-order available, would love if it just showed up this week.

I bought it through a Dutch webshop (since I'm Dutch) and I got it on launch date.

Waynebo posted:

I've only had it for one day, but it doesn't feel particularly heavy. The side bezels are pretty thin though so I've been holding it from the bottom.

I didn't buy a cover since the only one available is $50

I've only used it for a day or so, but it seems light enough. I'm waiting for some cheap Chinese cover I can grab from dx.com.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
How do people like the size of the Kobo Aura One? I had an old Nook Touch. It seemed a little small and died shortly after the warranty expired.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

brainwrinkle posted:

How do people like the size of the Kobo Aura One? I had an old Nook Touch. It seemed a little small and died shortly after the warranty expired.

It's the largest eReader I've owned so far, but I can still hold it in one hand (holding, for actual browsing I need my other hand).

smr
Dec 18, 2002

brainwrinkle posted:

So far, for my non-fiction books, it's fantastic. For fiction, I find myself still using the Oasis. Not sure I've had the Kobo long enough to decide on either for the long-term. I do like the Oasis' ability to fit in a back pocket, which you will not be doing with the Kobo.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

If I don't care about any extras and prefer physical buttons to touch would a used Kindle Keyboard be my best bet?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just got an update for my paperwhite that apparently just sort of fixes tables and make poo poo look prettier. Was an OTA update.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

punch drunk posted:

If I don't care about any extras and prefer physical buttons to touch would a used Kindle Keyboard be my best bet?

Probably.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

punch drunk posted:

I'm gonna say yeah. If you're uptight about screen contrast more than you want clicky buttons, getting a Paperwhite is a better idea, but really, a Kindle Keyboard's fine. I went from a Kindle Keyboard to a Kobo Mini to a current basic Kindle, and the screens are all about the same (current-gen basic is a little better contrast), and I'm very happy with what I have now.

Biggest advantage this current Kindle has is the build quality, it just feels much more solid and less flexy. Some other niceties, like the Bookerly font, and I never liked the clicky buttons of the Keyboard in the first place.

Nothing you asked about, just giving you my impressions. The Kindle Keyboard is a solid e-reader that does 99% of the most vital functions of any current reader.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

punch drunk posted:

If a store near you has a Kindle Voyage out to use you might try one to see if the way they added buttons with it works for you. I like it, but you might not. Otherwise, the Kindle Keyboard would be the way to go.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

punch drunk posted:

Depends if you consider a light an 'extra' or not. My upgrade to the Paperwhite from the Keyboard felt almost as revelatory as when I first got the Keyboard. I was very anti-touch as well, but turns out I don't miss the buttons really.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Junkenstein posted:

Depends if you consider a light an 'extra' or not. My upgrade to the Paperwhite from the Keyboard felt almost as revelatory as when I first got the Keyboard. I was very anti-touch as well, but turns out I don't miss the buttons really.

Same here. In fact I think the light is more important than the keyboard or the buttons.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah, same. My wife's got my old Kindle Keyboard and whenever I compare it to my PW I'm always struck by how much nicer it is to read on, between the light and the improved fonts. With the light it's not just the light itself, but the resulting improvement in contrast.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The light's insanely important unless you read exclusively on a reading chair with perfect lighting.

With my old Nook Simple Touch I had to buy one of those lovely book lights and strap it to the case. My Voyage is a world of difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Vegetable posted:

The light's insanely important unless you read exclusively on a reading chair with perfect lighting.

With my old Nook Simple Touch I had to buy one of those lovely book lights and strap it to the case. My Voyage is a world of difference.

This is what I'm struggling with as a flip between the Kobo Aura 2 and the Oasis; the night shift feature is nice, but the lighting on the Kobo is so uneven compared to the basically perfect distribution on the Oasis.

Please, Amazon, just make a new Oasis DX somewhere around the 7.5-8.5in screen size and let me give you all of my moneys.