Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
Can vouch for Public Mobile, using it in Montreal with the deal posted above. Great speeds on LTE and no issues to report. It's the telus network so it works pretty much everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I went through the Mobilicity -> Chatr conversion. Pretty straightforward, was given a plan that doesn't cost more than my current, and has more "unlimited" data than the same price plan on Chatr. 6gb data, unlimited talk/text in north america, voice mail, caller id, etc. $40/mo before fees. I won't get my next bill for two weeks so we'll see what happens with "hidden" charges, and I'm expecting the plan to be down-sized at any moment.

Speed/coverage is negligibly improved as compared to Mobilicity, still only in major metro areas despite Rogers having far more coverage than that. You get way more screwed on roaming now.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ColonelMoutard posted:

Can vouch for Public Mobile, using it in Montreal with the deal posted above. Great speeds on LTE and no issues to report. It's the telus network so it works pretty much everywhere.

I think I'll get this. Now I just need to figure out what to upgrade my N5 to.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Anyone want my Public Mobile referral? I'm activating tonight, so PM me your phone number.

EDIT: nevermind, I'm just going for it

yippee cahier fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 9, 2016

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mister Macys posted:

I think I'll get this. Now I just need to figure out what to upgrade my N5 to.

I'm using this and it's great: https://www.nextbit.com/products/robin?variant=8699245445

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I considered it (I check AP's website once a day), but I'm most interested in an IP67/68 phone. Dust protection is relevant to my profession (baker).
The speakers of my N5 are literally clogged with flour, and I'm pretty sure it fouled the wireless charging magnets (they wouldn't detect), until I popped the back off and re-polished them.
I'm pretty much looking at waiting for the S7/Edge to go on sale (even though I hate its looks in every way), since the iPhone 7 never, ever, ever will... :sigh:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 9, 2016

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
I'm looking for a pay as you go data plan (haha I know it doesn't exist) for an iPad that is being used in a Square stand. It will only be used 2-4 times a year so I don't want a monthly plan I'll never use. I'm with Virgin and so far the best they offer is $5/month for 10 megabytes and when you use more they just bill you for it. I'm not really willing to pay 60 dollars per year (+$15 "activation fee") to the cocksuckers to give me nothing and then charge me for the privilege of using more than 10 megabytes.

I'm located in Alberta but will be visiting Saskatchewan if there is a *wink wink nudge nudge* deal there. I suspect I'm poo poo out of luck because why offer something useful when you can just continue bending the country over a barrel.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Tethering might be your best option then, if you're only using it 4 times a year. I don't know how well they detect that kind of stuff though so...

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

DocCynical posted:

I'm looking for a pay as you go data plan (haha I know it doesn't exist) for an iPad that is being used in a Square stand. It will only be used 2-4 times a year so I don't want a monthly plan I'll never use. I'm with Virgin and so far the best they offer is $5/month for 10 megabytes and when you use more they just bill you for it. I'm not really willing to pay 60 dollars per year (+$15 "activation fee") to the cocksuckers to give me nothing and then charge me for the privilege of using more than 10 megabytes.

I'm located in Alberta but will be visiting Saskatchewan if there is a *wink wink nudge nudge* deal there. I suspect I'm poo poo out of luck because why offer something useful when you can just continue bending the country over a barrel.

Holy poo poo, cocksuckers is correct.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

Migishu posted:

Tethering might be your best option then, if you're only using it 4 times a year. I don't know how well they detect that kind of stuff though so...

I don't want tethering as then I am stuck at the booth. Or at least my phone is. I was hoping for a self contained solution.

At least that is cheaper than what the convention centers want for wireless internet.

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004

DocCynical posted:

TbayTel roams freely on the Rogers network, prepaid is limited to 3g, for square who cares. You just need someone in Thunderbay to get you a sim.

http://www.tbaytel.net/personal/mobility/prepaid/informationplans

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

DocCynical posted:

Pre-paid 7-11 Speak Out is $10 for 100mb within a 30 day window (and 10 cents/mb above 100) that you can switch on and off from the account management website. But you'd need to bother with maintaining a positive account balance, which does tick down at a rate of $1/month if you use the sim for nothing else.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My contract is up with TELUS, and I thought I'd load up web chat while I'm working just to see what they can offer me:

"Now, as for changing your plan, I can offer you excellent plans in order for you not to pay less than you're currently paying."

At least they're honest?

Edit: I gave them a call, for $85 I'll get 3.5 gigs, 300 daytime minutes, the usual features. Upgrading to a 6s, my original 6 battery is messed up and Apple won't fix it.

Personally I don't really care about minutes, I never make calls and am currently always going over my 1 gig of data.

Is there a better deal for Telus out there right now? Or with a new company, if I port over?

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 10, 2016

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

triplexpac posted:

Is there a better deal for Telus out there right now? Or with a new company, if I port over?

Koodo has a 4 gb plan for $75 on sale right now, or 5 gb for $45 if you do the Manitoba plan thing.

( http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1868676-How-to-get-the-48-Manitoba-plan-anywhere-in-Canada)

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I just switched to Public Mobile on the Telus network and no problems so far. $62 for 4 gigs per month.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

yippee cahier posted:

I just switched to Public Mobile on the Telus network and no problems so far. $62 for 4 gigs per month.

Hmm interesting, never thought about Public before.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So, the Moto X Play was the worst phone I ever had. The guy at koodo told me apparently they are just poo poo and the hardware never really meshed right with the software. Couldn't take it anymore, and I see they have a promotion of $200 credit on trade in towards the S7. Plus they had texted me and offered another $75 off. I wasn't sure if these credits came off what you have to pay up front or what you pay off, and I didn't have much cash to play with (Otherwise I buy all my phones cash/second hand).

So I go to a kiosk and start asking about it. Now when I joined up 3 years ago I got the $55 1gb/unlimited everything else plan but it was upgraded to 2gb at the time on another promotion. To pay the minimum amount of $300 up front for the S7 you have to get tab large, which would only tack on $4 to my bill for the same plan. I said gently caress it, but wait, the guy says because I'm upgrading to tab large, they take off $5 so I get the same plan for a buck cheaper.

So the $200 plus $75 credits come off what you pay up front, so I have to pay $25 up front for the phone. Fine with me. Guy starts putting it through, turns out they are giving me way more than $75 as communicated to me via text, and I get the phone for nothing up front and he has to give me $75 worth of free accessories. Of course we all know better than to buy accessories from a carrier but its free, right? I opt for a screen protector and a bluetooth speaker. I think we're done, then he says I get another $20 credit, which sadly is all my Moto would have gotten me if I had traded it in with no promotion. Fine, I grab a charge cable to replace the poo poo dollar store one I have in the car and a gel case I'll probably never use. All told I paid $8 and change for the phone, normally $300 up front and about $100 worth of accessories. With what I'm paying on the tab I'll pay $504 for the phone which retails for $904 through them, so a little more than half price. Really you could say $480 seeing I'm saving a buck on the plan I had anyway. Plus all I had to give them was my old phone itself, so I have another turbo charger to spare as well. I'm a happy customer.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I'm not a big cellular enthusiast, but it seems like (on average) people are most happy with Koodo. I'd actually be really interested in the bad experiences that people have had with them.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Before my current job, I sold Koodo among other carriers for several years at Future Shop. We sold a *ton* of Koodo and Telus compared to Rogers, Fido, Bell and Virgin. The primary reason was (aside from Rogers/Fido having poo poo reception in my city) that very few people on Koodo had complaints that weren't their own faults or a simple misunderstanding; by contrast it seemed like every time I sold a Virgin phone, there would be a billing issue.

That's a definite anecdote and things could very well have changed since then but to this day I feel like Koodo is the best option of the big 3 and their 3 subsidiaries, if only because their self serve options are plentiful and fairly easy to use.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Just got my 911 class action lawsuit settlement cheques. Just over $30!

NWT has no 911 service, Bell was charging us anyway. When I asked about it they said they couldn't change it in the billing software or some poo poo. Bet you they could figure it out pretty quickly if they were undercharging.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

odiv posted:

NWT has no 911 service, Bell was charging us anyway. When I asked about it they said they couldn't change it in the billing software or some poo poo. Bet you they could figure it out pretty quickly if they were undercharging.

Haha, yup.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Argh... Called TELUS last week to preorder the iPhone 7+. Got through the whole loyalty thing, was given a pretty decent rate, and then he's like "oh btw, can't preorder on the phone, just call back next week when it's released." Called back today and they told me they couldn't do it because the phone was out of stock, even if I was OK with waiting a few weeks to get it :argh:

Is this common with TELUS (they don't backorder stuff that's out of stock?) I knew it'd be impossible to just call and get one launch day but it seems kinda BS they couldn't even backorder it for me. My loyalty offer expires in a few weeks and I doubt stock will be available by then. I need to do this through their loyalty team since I'm charging it to my bill which would give me time to sell my old unlocked 6+.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I guess they truly are selling like hot cakes or the US just got a much larger shipment. I ordered at about 8AM the day of (I know it was 2AM central for opening) and I still gotta wait at least 2 weeks. Not a huge deal as I have a phone that works though (5S :3:)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The impression I always got was that their various systems just couldn't handle reserving/managing inventory at that level (e.g. "reserve phone (y) from shipment (x) for customer (z) where shipment (x) isn't coming to this store").

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014
I changed my cell phone plan recently. I gave up a ~$75.00 Fido plan (450 minutes, Unlm Ev/Wknd, Unlm Text, 6 GB data) for a flex tablet data-only plan that starts at $15.00/month for 1 GB and grows to $40/mo for 5 GB.

Before cancelling, I ported my number over to voip.ms, paid the one-time setup fee, and I'm using a VOIP app on my iPhone to send and receive calls.

I have two friends who have been doing this for about a year and haven't reported any major problems. My wife started it a few months ago and she's been having great luck with it.

Upsides:
- cheap plan, especially since I never call anyone, and rarely receive calls. When I expect to have a long call, I can use Skype or Facetime, and I'm generally on Wifi when that happens.

Downsides:
- SMS suuuucks. voip.ms can send and receive texts, but you receive them through your e-mail or through a web portal. Fortunately, anyone I text either uses iMessage, Slack, LINE, or Twitter, so I just message them that way and ask them to stop messaging me at my phone number (iMessage can also use e-mail addresses to identify you).
- the DID porting and setup is a little more involved. After initial setup, it's not that big a deal.
- calls are per-minute ($0.009/minute - yep, 9/10ths of a cent - so it's not really a downside)
- VOIP service is pre-paid, so I have to pay into the service ahead of time
- no subsidized phones. Which I don't really care about anymore. Because my old plan was $5/mo under their arbitrary limit, Fido screwed me out of a bigger subsidy when I upgrade to my iPhone 6S.

Neutral:
- you can get a voicemail account, and messages are e-mailed to you. I think the last time I got voicemail was about six months ago, so I don't really care about this.

So far, I really like it. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. It might be worthwhile for some of you who don't get a lot of phone calls and mostly use your pocket computer to do internet stuff and check Slack all day.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

experienceBeej posted:

I changed my cell phone plan recently. I gave up a ~$75.00 Fido plan (450 minutes, Unlm Ev/Wknd, Unlm Text, 6 GB data) for a flex tablet data-only plan that starts at $15.00/month for 1 GB and grows to $40/mo for 5 GB.

Before cancelling, I ported my number over to voip.ms, paid the one-time setup fee, and I'm using a VOIP app on my iPhone to send and receive calls.

I have two friends who have been doing this for about a year and haven't reported any major problems. My wife started it a few months ago and she's been having great luck with it.

Upsides:
- cheap plan, especially since I never call anyone, and rarely receive calls. When I expect to have a long call, I can use Skype or Facetime, and I'm generally on Wifi when that happens.

Downsides:
- SMS suuuucks. voip.ms can send and receive texts, but you receive them through your e-mail or through a web portal. Fortunately, anyone I text either uses iMessage, Slack, LINE, or Twitter, so I just message them that way and ask them to stop messaging me at my phone number (iMessage can also use e-mail addresses to identify you).
- the DID porting and setup is a little more involved. After initial setup, it's not that big a deal.
- calls are per-minute ($0.009/minute - yep, 9/10ths of a cent - so it's not really a downside)
- VOIP service is pre-paid, so I have to pay into the service ahead of time
- no subsidized phones. Which I don't really care about anymore. Because my old plan was $5/mo under their arbitrary limit, Fido screwed me out of a bigger subsidy when I upgrade to my iPhone 6S.

Neutral:
- you can get a voicemail account, and messages are e-mailed to you. I think the last time I got voicemail was about six months ago, so I don't really care about this.

So far, I really like it. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. It might be worthwhile for some of you who don't get a lot of phone calls and mostly use your pocket computer to do internet stuff and check Slack all day.

This is exactly my setup as well. The other major upside for me is it decouples the phone number from the carrier plan from the number I give out people. I travel a lot and usually get local SIM cards, but everyone can always reach me at the same number. I've never had any problems hearing the other side, but people occasionally complain about call quality, and that it sometimes doesn't ring (but it rings for me and I pick up).

There is a voip.ms SMS app on the Play store that's good enough for my (infrequent) SMS needs. Note that it does go through someone's GCE account for push notifications. voip.ms's SMS seems to work much better than Twilio at 2FA messages.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Or just get the Manitoba plan.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

JoelJoel posted:

Or just get the Manitoba plan.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Related to this: Fido have a $15/mo promo on their 3GB tablet plan at the moment.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I switched to Public mobile because it's a great deal but Damon did my job gently caress up the port

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Scudworth posted:

Koodo has a 4 gb plan for $75 on sale right now, or 5 gb for $45 if you do the Manitoba plan thing.

( http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1868676-How-to-get-the-48-Manitoba-plan-anywhere-in-Canada)

Is this a thing that actually works? Like, I can have my current Alberta phone number on a Manitoba plan?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

tuyop posted:

Is this a thing that actually works? Like, I can have my current Alberta phone number on a Manitoba plan?

Did this and ported my number a few months ago. Very happy with the results.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

tuyop posted:

There are people posting in that thread who've done it today.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

i saw that i will now apparently have my 30 minutes north american roaming back after mobilicity switches me to chatr.

my plan used to be $25 but i guess 6gb 3g for $5 more isn't too bad.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I am about to take the plunge switching from Virign to Public Mobile but their website isn't answering a couple of my questions - I can't see what the voice package includes for "add-ons"

Does it include caller ID and voicemail? I assume it does but want to be sure. Also, as I've never done this before how does one port their number over? What do I need to know?

Thanks

e: nevermind - I just saw that "All plans include voicemail and call display" :downs:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 23, 2016

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
lol Bell is increasing its legacy 6GB plan by $10/month

I guess data got more expensive to provide since the last time they offered it, around the time when the iPhone 3GS was out

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm going to try to get the MB plan next week. I have been happy with Virgin Mobile but I'm still paying more for way less. :canada:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Housh posted:

I'm going to try to get the MB plan next week. I have been happy with Virgin Mobile but I'm still paying more for way less. :canada:

You should try right now while you can. CBC released some odd article this morning making a big fuss over people stealing "prairie plans" and how its a dark underworld of potential fraud. Which I imagine means some weary reporter is trying to get a cushy job as a PR flack for a telecom by giving them a public-facing excuse for shutting down the practice under the guise of public safety.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

gently caress! Going to the superstore right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Godinster posted:

lol Bell is increasing its legacy 6GB plan by $10/month

I guess data got more expensive to provide since the last time they offered it, around the time when the iPhone 3GS was out

My Rogers 6gb plan (200 local mins, unlimited SMS/MMS, my10) went from $60 to $65 on my most recent invoice. The Value Pack that goes with it (Call display, VM and VM to text) has also gone from $12 to $14 to $16 since I signed onto that plan in.... I wanna say 2012, maybe 2013. In my favor, they did drop the "government regulatory" fee at some point, which was $2.35 at the beginning.

My HTC One M7 is getting a bit tired, but I can't decide on any phone to buy unsubsidized to replace it.