Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I do like how Zerk was changed though it feels like the right half of the deck is the Martial Artist class we'll never get. Gives me hope Firebug will get buffed back to where it was at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Psion posted:

Can't argue with more maps (as long as those maps aren't evacuation point)

What's your gripe about Evac Point? That's one of my personal favorites.

As far as maps go, I still think Biotics Lab is my least favorite and by a large margin. It's so loving boring.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

I do like how Zerk was changed though it feels like the right half of the deck is the Martial Artist class we'll never get.

Well yeah, it is. Tripwire has conceded that they can't make two interesting melee classes so the Berserker skills are "slow & tanky" or "fast & weak." At least that gives me hope that the 10th class will be some sort of sweet Tesla class that uses electric weapons. Lightningbug, let's say.

Evacuation Point ruins friendships.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly all this discussion of balance is why I'm probably not going to bother playing above Normal or maybe Hard in KF2 once the PS4 version is out, for similar reasons why I never play above Beginner in KF1

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Yeah, I remember barely soloing Farm on Normal as a KF1 and just sighed in relief as I killed Patty after kiting.

Now that I think about it, I think KF1 got me into kiting enemies.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

KF2 is hella easier than KF1 outside of sick tricks to one-shot fleshpounds, and that's probably what's sticking in TW's craw right now.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I wish they would balance for more than 6 players. It can clearly handle a few dozen players on a good server. I want to see D day except I'm the German with the machine gun and the allies are Zeds :getin:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

clockworkjoe posted:

I wish they would balance for more than 6 players. It can clearly handle a few dozen players on a good server. I want to see D day except I'm the German with the machine gun and the allies are Zeds :getin:

They are launching on consoles. Probably want to keep it consistent and all that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I also imagine more than 6 is a tiny fraction of the PC userbase, as well. I'd prefer they actually balance for 6 before asking them to balance for 12 or whatever :v:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm curious how the game will do on consoles, also curious if they'll keep both versions up to date.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Alteisen posted:

I'm curious how the game will do on consoles, also curious if they'll keep both versions up to date.

I would imagine that they will have to stagger updates somewhat, since consoles are so, so much harder to push patches on compared to Steam.

Or they could hold back stuff on PC to make it synchronized, but that would be lovely.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well blizzard does all platforms on the same day but that's blizzard, I just hope the game doesn't turn into another Payday where it never gets updated after release.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Payday 2 gets updated regularly :confused:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Not on console it sure hasn't.

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007
Are the lovely resistances still in?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The Pope posted:

Are the lovely resistances still in?
They're still in but in a less lovely form, so now they're just unnecessary complexity rather than game-ruining.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I believe most of the resistances are now on the order of 10-20% outside of older stuff, like scrake 50% explosion resistance that changed to who knows what.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I believe most of the resistances are now on the order of 10-20% outside of older stuff, like scrake 50% explosion resistance that changed to who knows what.

And those changes have made the game a whole lot better.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah it's frankly not very noticeable and I get the feeling the changes are still "there" because TW is too prideful to admit that resistances flopped so hard with the player base.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The exception, as we've discussed, is Firebug. But by and large, I tend to agree - both on the state of resists and why.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Not on console, the original 360 version was released in a beta state and received a single update which was the one that introduced grenades like a year later, the Xbone/PS4 version is up until Dragan's release giving the game 8 heisters when the PC version has 12 if I'm not mistaken among many other things like quality of updates and new heists, the console versions where also broken on release as you couldn't even join lobbies till they patched it months later.

Hopefully that doesn't happen with Trip but I'm quite wary of a PC only dev doing console stuff.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:stare: I stand corrected. What the hell.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just me or do Hans damage values seem insanely high?

My entire perspective comes from only a playing class that resists damage and I still feel I take a poo poo-ton of damage, 36 if I don't parry his charge attack properly and he follows up which I can block but will bring me down to 50 or so, I can only imagine how much more damage a squishy class takes, hell I just saw him utterly obliterate a demo, like full health to dead in the blink of an eye.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Alteisen posted:

Is it just me or do Hans damage values seem insanely high?

Yes.

It has always been this way. It would be fine if his attacks were actually avoidable, which they most often aren't without pathing errors.

There was a dev stream where at one point the dev says "Hans is easy, just pull out your knife." I still whip out my knife immediately when Hans decides to target me and start parrying, and all that does is reduce the 60 health I would lose down to about 35, and then I often die immediately afterwards because Hans rarely just swipes once and leaves.

I played a game on suicidal where I maxed out our demo with defense buffs as medic, and despite him actively being healed with the maximum movement speed and defense buffs from a medic, he died when Hans decided to go after him anyways. Hans is meant to be a glass cannon, but they forgot the "glass" part.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 7, 2016

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Hans has fluctuated in how awful he is, but he's never been at a point that I'd consider good. It's possible I missed it while I wasn't playing--I vaguely recall the thread being appreciative of a Hans change at one point.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
In related news, Patriarch hit me for 77 damage in one melee attack tonight. That was exciting.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Elysiume posted:

Hans has fluctuated in how awful he is, but he's never been at a point that I'd consider good. It's possible I missed it while I wasn't playing--I vaguely recall the thread being appreciative of a Hans change at one point.

There was exactly one, ONE patch where Hans was fun. It was when they first added how you could break his shield. The reason it was fun was because his shield had an itty-bitty little health pool so that when everybody coordinated and focus fired, they were able to repeatedly break his shield and stop him from healing. He was still at instakill levels but that was okay because you basically did the same thing to him. They very swiftly made his health and shield health pool larger and larger since, and added the wonderful dodging feature where he farts out jet fuel and shoots forward three feet so he's obnoxious to shoot on top of being a bullet sponge with massive dps.

Before that patch, we called the Patriarch "the fun one." When that patch dropped, we started calling Hans "the other fun one." Now we just call him "the other one."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The bosses are another reason I doubt I'll ever play above Normal

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SWAT has bullet resistance in its stats... does that only work vs bosses? or does it work against Husks too?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

SWAT has bullet resistance in its stats... does that only work vs bosses? or does it work against Husks too?

Husks shoot fire not bullets.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Could be fire bullets :colbert:

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

drrockso20 posted:

The bosses are another reason I doubt I'll ever play above Normal

Yes yes, we get it, you have numerous posts in this thread explaining how you're a bitch made console player.

:v:

Yeah Hans sucks. It's really annoying how you can have a team that is working like a well oiled machine up until the boss round and then you get a roll of the dice to see if you'll enjoy that at all.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Hans fights almost always come down to his final phase when he goes melee-crazy. TW has nerfed his damage but not enough to account for the fact that he never slashes just once, and often will lock on and chase you down until you're dead. You can't outrun him, you can't outheal his damage, and by that point you're probably bone-dry on ammo.

His shields are such bullet-sponges now that you're almost better off just not shooting them again and let him heal. They also made that change where ammo spawns twice as fast during the boss fight, but if the map doesn't have a lot of ammo spawns to begin with so that's no help.

Luchadork fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 7, 2016

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
I hate that Hans has much more numerous and powerful Zed additions during the fight than Patriarch. It doesn't make sense ~thematically~ or, more importantly, mechanically - the boss who runs off with his tail between his legs gets a bit of trash and some Bloats to show up, while the boss who runs ten feet, turns around, and tries to grab a player gets Husks, Sirens, and fuckin' swarms of trash to show up. If they flipped the spawns I wouldn't mind, although Patriarch has been a bit less fun to fight lately.

Maybe because of poo poo like this.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I'm a filthy casual, but both boss fights are boring slogs for me. In the perfect game we all get wiped out on wave 10 so we don't have to bother with it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I haven't played in a long time, but that's always how I felt as well. Just send me bigger and bigger waves until I die. It's much more fun frantically trying to survive being overrun than getting 2 shot in 1 second by Hans.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

My rocket went through Hans's body while he grabbed someone and ive been taking a break from the game since.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Internet Explorer posted:

I haven't played in a long time, but that's always how I felt as well. Just send me bigger and bigger waves until I die. It's much more fun frantically trying to survive being overrun than getting 2 shot in 1 second by Hans.

gently caress's sake please do not give people more suggestions to make Combat Fatigue Simulator 201X

endless wave junk is the absolute worst because you never, ever feel good after you finish a game. if you gave up to keep yourself from burning out you feel bad because you gave up. if you fight until you honestly can't do it anymore, you feel bad because you are so numb from the fighting that nothing else feels right anymore.

people do not need any more endless modes in games, they are boring and invariably give a bad experience when they end. put them in the grave of time along with limited saves.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Coolguye posted:

gently caress's sake please do not give people more suggestions to make Combat Fatigue Simulator 201X

endless wave junk is the absolute worst because you never, ever feel good after you finish a game. if you gave up to keep yourself from burning out you feel bad because you gave up. if you fight until you honestly can't do it anymore, you feel bad because you are so numb from the fighting that nothing else feels right anymore.

people do not need any more endless modes in games, they are boring and invariably give a bad experience when they end. put them in the grave of time along with limited saves.

You're right. I've changed my mind. Getting slaughtered by a boss that's been completely unbalanced for a year is way more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Internet Explorer posted:

You're right. I've changed my mind. Getting slaughtered by a boss that's been completely unbalanced for a year is way more fun.

At least it is an end though. To his point, a single long match of KF can already go on for 40 minutes. Half of the time I'm glad if the guy kills me because I'm just getting bored after a certain point. Endless waves would just get you tired more than excited.