Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Radish posted:

Hillary has to be preparing for Trump to just rapid fire off absurd ridiculous lies during the debates assuming he won't get fact checked and that it's harder and takes more time to disprove his trash than for him to say it.

Aka the Gish Gallop. Throw 20 untrue statements and misrepresentations at your opponent and declare victory when they only manage to show that 19 are complete and utter bullshit.

I can't think of anyone more capable of picking apart that debate "style" than Clinton. The trouble is that she has limited time and actually picking it apart often makes the person doing so seem boring and nitpicking. Probably the more effective strategy with Trump will be to pick the most blatantly absurd thing he says, point out that it is wrong, and then parade it in front of him saying that only a completely incompetent dumbass could think that's how the world works. Odds are he doubles down on it for a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

emdash posted:

Some piece of data caused Vermont to go to "toss-up," which is . . . not realistic. He says he's investigating it

Also for some reason the graph I copied is the same as the one on the PEC site now, except the date on mine says September 1st instead of 6th? :iiam:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Hollywood movies & American TV shows have taught me that coughing fits are invariably a sign of imminent death. Never colds or sore throats or whatever. Clinton will be dead before November.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

Just a reminder:

It was eerie, you'd walk out of the press room, through the lobby out of the elevators, into the bar... There'd be a huge crowd in the lobby and only one person talking and you'd hear this voice saying, 'The mood at the Clinton headquarters... is extremely solemn and shocked... one of shock and depression... right now... Illinois has just fallen... California is gone, New York is gone...' They'd read this list of disasters and you knew their faces and what they were saying was on TV screens all over the country... It was like a televised funeral... I was feeling depressed... And Huma Abedin came in. I could see that she'd been crying... and... she's not the kind of person you'd expect to see walking around in public with tears all over her face... That was the only time Clinton cracked. For about a minute she broke down and... and... and couldn't talk for a few minutes. Then she got herself together... She was actually the coolest person in the place from then on. Other people were cracking all around... Stunned, wall-eyed... there was nothing to say... just a helluva shock... you know...a fantastic beating... I remember, when Pence came on, throwing something at the television set. It was a beer can... That was the last flight of the Hill Force One and also last flight of the Zoo Plane. It was the trip back to Washington from Brookyn which borders on one of the worst trips I've ever taken in my life... Jesus Christ... it was easily the worst scene of the campaign... There was something... total... something very undermining about the Clinton defeat... There was a very unexplained kind of... ominous quality to it... weeping chaos. People you'd never expect to break down... stumbled off the plane in tears... It was such a shock to me that although I'd gone back to Washington to analyze... I saw how ripped up people were... I decided to hell with this... So I just went right around to the main terminal and got on another plane and went back to Colorado.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

WeAreTheRomans posted:

the older I get the more I realise Hunter S Thompson was basically just a GBS edgeposter before his time

That last part is the key to becoming important and remembered. Rant against the king in 1828 and you get shot in the street and pissed on. Do it in 1785 and you get interred in the Panthéon.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
How did Hillary's debate style compare to Obama's back in the day?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

She did fine. Obama's a good debater though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

She won the swimsuit part, but lost on points in the dance off section.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Petr posted:

According to 21st Century Fox, they are now paying the entire settlement. Ailes not paying anything. Source: Twitters.

that's not true, he paid -$60 million dollars

because he was paid $60 million dollars

3x the amount they paid out to grechen carlson

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

happyhippy posted:

She won the swimsuit part, but lost on points in the dance off section.

If she managed to beat this I'm sure she can do anything:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

the older I get the more I realise Hunter S Thompson was basically just a GBS edgeposter before his time

You bastard. :stare:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Assange is going on Hannity tonight. :lol:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Why is Julian Assflange going on Hannity? To talk about his October Surprise that will finally eliminate Clinton and secure a future for white children?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://twitter.com/kellyweill/status/773247094895304705

Not parody

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

Trump just can't stop ripping people off ever

poo poo like this would totally avalanche any other candidate in terms of consistency

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Freedom isn't free. :freep:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Assange is going on Hannity tonight. :lol:

one defends sexual harassers, the other is a rapist, what a match.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Instant Sunrise posted:

i wonder how much of this hypercritical coverage on hillary while brushing off the actual poo poo trump is doing is because after decades of conservatives saying "liberal media liberal media liberal media LIBERAL MEDIA LIBERAL MEDIA!" a lot of the news outlets have moved to the right to avoid accusations of bias

The show "The Newsroom" was basically about this and it ran from 2012-2014 so yeah, it's commonly accepted as the way things are. It's almost an old trope at this point.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lastgirl posted:

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

Trump just can't stop ripping people off ever

poo poo like this would totally avalanche any other candidate in terms of consistency

And this is the problem with Clinton, there's always a "bigger" scandal with her.

Then again, this poo poo started back in the primaries. Didn't Chris Hayes start a site tracking this poo poo?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Why is Julian Assflange going on Hannity? To talk about his October Surprise that will finally eliminate Clinton and secure a future for white children?
Probably talk about Seth some more, against his family's wishes, and how Seth was totally, probably, possibly was the DNC leak despite literally everything else saying otherwise.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

iospace posted:

And this is the problem with Clinton, there's always a "bigger" scandal with her.

Then again, this poo poo started back in the primaries. Didn't Chris Hayes start a site tracking this poo poo?

Dishonest unfair media! Always saying I'm ripping people off! Not True! :smugdon:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

See what I can't understand is that Trump is constantly, constantly doing poo poo like this and getting away scot-free as the media straight-up ignores it, but Trump and his supporters constantly complain about how the evil biased media is against them.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

They screwed them over, made them promise not to talk to the media and then stuck them right next to the press pen in their uniforms :laffo:

Way to do your job journos

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Yinlock posted:

See what I can't understand is that Trump is constantly, constantly doing poo poo like this and getting away scot-free as the media straight-up ignores it, but Trump and his supporters constantly complain about how the evil biased media is against them.

The fact that anyone reports this at all is evidence that the press is biased, you see.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
TRUMP RIPS OFF LITTLE KIDS! POLL NUMBERS CONTINUE TO SLOWLY CLIMB :psyduck:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Trabisnikof posted:

The best case scenario for Clinton is if the debates go as if it was written for a sketch on Prairie Home Companion.

Preferably if it was News from Lake Wobegon or Guy Noir, but Powdermilk Biscuits or Ketchup Advisory Board would still work.

Pretty sure Garrison Keillor isn't going to do it no matter how many posts try to make it happen.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/773257404507123712

Can't wait for Hannity to ask the hard hitting questions about his rape accusations

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/773265179802996736

... Jesus Christ. How many women did this creep harass?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Dexo posted:

Can't wait for Hannity to ask the hard hitting questions about his rape accusations

hasn't assange said that "yeah i did it but i don't think that should be called rape," which, uh...

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dexo posted:

I mean there has got to be a sound bite of Hannity demanding Assange be executed sometime in the last year right?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Shifty Pony posted:

Aka the Gish Gallop. Throw 20 untrue statements and misrepresentations at your opponent and declare victory when they only manage to show that 19 are complete and utter bullshit.

I can't think of anyone more capable of picking apart that debate "style" than Clinton. The trouble is that she has limited time and actually picking it apart often makes the person doing so seem boring and nitpicking. Probably the more effective strategy with Trump will be to pick the most blatantly absurd thing he says, point out that it is wrong, and then parade it in front of him saying that only a completely incompetent dumbass could think that's how the world works. Odds are he doubles down on it for a few weeks.

When it comes to Trump lies, the problem is picking just one before he spews enough more to make the chosen one irrelevant. Besides that, she's got to contend with the double standard of looking "shrill" if she harps on anything too hard as a woman while Trump's nonsense thrives off any attention, especially if he goes mean spirited.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I'm melting down

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
If I was Hillary Clinton, first day in office I am pardoning Assange as an act of peerless shade

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

DaveWoo posted:

Evidently all the ones he could. Same with his buddies.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Trump could poo poo blood on live TV and the media would still fall over themselves while furiously masterbating any time Clinton coughs or sighs.

Then we have Paul Ryan declaring that the FBI's release date on THE EMAILS:siren: was "playing politics," (by apparently not releasing them for maximum Anti-Clinton effect? Who loving knows?)

Trump declares he'd leave a G20 conference in a loving snit if ever he didn't have the red carpet treatment, and the story is instead about how everyone gets to insult Obama.

4,000 Lakota protestors in North Dakota are getting pepper sprayed and have dogs set on them by corporate goons for protesting the new oil pipeline that's destroying anscestral lands, and there's not a loving peep about it on the news.

The presidential election needs to be over. I'm getting way to stressed over this poo poo, with good reason. It's a garbage fire, all the way down.

It's a pretty inspiring story

quote:

It is an unprecedented gathering. Members of more than 90 Native American nations and tribes have a presence here, according to Eagleman, who has become a sort of unofficial spokesman for the protest camp. Up the road, where the building site was besieged, the flags of many of those nations now fly together. The unity on display here is a dream come true for Eagleman. “There has been no moment like this in history,” he said.

On Saturday, a delegation from the Crow nation arrived from Montana, bearing offerings of firewood and 700lb of buffalo meat. That’s truly historic: the Crow and the Lakota have been enemies for more than a century. They were at war once; the Crow acted as scouts for Gen George Custer. Buffalo meat has powerful symbolic value: a gesture of solidarity and friendship from longtime former foes.

Dennis Banks, a member of the Chippewa nation of Minnesota and one of the founders of the civil rights group the American Indian Movement in the 1960s, who met the Crow delegation, recounted the meeting. “The main speaker said, ‘I know you think of Crow as working with the enemy – but we too struggled for water rights, treaty rights’,” Banks said.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/29/north-dakota-oil-pipeline-protest-standing-rock-sioux

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

It's sweet that Democrats nominated Hilary because she was "more electable", but she's turned out to be arguably more poisonous with the American electorate than the least qualified, most vile candidate in history.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

DaveWoo posted:

look at his fat disgusting Republican face. you already know the answer is "many"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If I was Hillary Clinton, first day in office I am pardoning Assange as an act of peerless shade

He's free here as far as our laws are concerned.

Snowden, otoh

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I didn't put it in these words, but a 13th century Muslim polemic I wrote about in college was basically the world's first troll.* He was wildly well spoken but would make these absolutely insane arguments about Christianity and Islam.

Examples: If you say Jesus is god you are saying god poops, which is blasphemous.

Hadiths ban urinating in your bathwater as haraam, but it says nothing about pooping in your bathwater, so that is hygienic.

... He didn't exclusively talk about poop, those are just the examples I remember. Wish I could recall his name.

*Or maybe #2 if you count Diogenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

It's sweet that Democrats nominated Hilary because she was "more electable", but she's turned out to be arguably more poisonous with the American electorate than the least qualified, most vile candidate in history.

The people voted for her, loving deal with it.

Oh, and she's gonna win.

• Locked thread