Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Chaplain is dope. It's almost like a homage to the old terminator chaplain which is a sweet model. I get that it's to do with some kind of event, but how do we get one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Takkaryx posted:

It's not that there's 22 skulls that we can see on the mini. It's that there's 7 different sizes of ostensibly human skulls adorning him. I love it :allears:

I always find it weird that these painters paint every skill to be bone, when its rather apparent that most of them are just ornamentation and should be some kind of metallic. I could see the legit human sized ones being painted like bone though.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
So I heard there was some foul xenos in need of purging:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Nice!

Also, 'sup fellow Deathwatch bro? I just picked this guy up for painting and was also thinking about giving him a helmet instead of the old man head. I like how it turned out.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm thinking about getting a Combat Patrol force ready to maybe play at Adepticon next year. I'd like to use this as an incentive to get my Steel Legion painted, and was thinking about this as a potential list:
code:
Total Roster Cost: 390

Troops: Infantry Platoon
   1 Infantry Platoon
      1 Platoon Command Squad
         2 Guardsman (1x Grenade Launcher)
         1 Platoon Commander
         1 Heavy Weapons Team (1x Heavy Bolter)
         1 Chimera (Multilaser, Heavy Bolter)
      1 Infantry Squad
         7 Guardsman (1x Grenade Launcher)
         1 Sergeant
         1 Heavy Weapons Team (1x Lascannon)
      1 Infantry Squad
         1 Sergeant
I figure I'll find another 10 points in wargear or something.

With the SL, my Heavy Weapon Team choices are limited - Lascannon, Heavy Bolter, or Missile Launcher. As for the Chimera, I assembled them years ago with plastic glue, so I'm kind of stuck with the current weapons loadouts. Any thoughts on this for an all-comers situation?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Potential BFF posted:

New store event terminator chaplain is apparently tied to some social media crap.

Skulls!

Man, no way I'm going to the store AND doing some social media crap though. Can't they just sell me these like normal businesses or something? :(

I hate missing out on all these special models. Even if I show up to the store that's several miles south of me at like 9AM they're already sold out.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Potential BFF posted:

New store event terminator chaplain is apparently tied to some social media crap.

I don't see anything involved with social media there. You fill out a card for the mini, which looks like it works the same way as that punch card at your local sub shop. Get 10 stickers/punches and you get a free sandwich, only this time it's you get the chance to buy a cool mini. I wish it was a free mini but I guess they wanted to make sure nobody gamed the system and got free toys I guess.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

So I heard there was some foul xenos in need of purging:
This dude's dope. The helmet was a good choice but I think I'd use the old beardy head on my own, but that's just personal preference. Speaking of this dude, I walked into the room after a few minutes and my cat had walked all over the keyboard and switched to another tab, which was coincidentally the Deathwatch Watch Master.

I think my cat wants to start a Deathwatch army :catstare:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
CSM get new stuff, anything really, its not good enough so people still complain while Nids and Orks continue to sulk in the corner.

CSM does not need to be buffed to the level of SM, Tau, and Eldar, thats cancer. SM, Tau and Eldar need to be brought to heel. No formation should give free stuff, and I think I may propose to my community that we just wont allow any that give free poo poo. Its awful for balance.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Combat Patrol force ready to maybe play at Adepticon next year. I'd like to use this as an incentive to get my Steel Legion painted, and was thinking about this as a potential list:
code:
Total Roster Cost: 390

Troops: Infantry Platoon
   1 Infantry Platoon
      1 Platoon Command Squad
         2 Guardsman (1x Grenade Launcher)
         1 Platoon Commander
         1 Heavy Weapons Team (1x Heavy Bolter)
      1 Infantry Squad
         1 Sergeant
      1 Infantry Squad
         1 Sergeant
I figure I'll find another 10 points in wargear or something.

With the SL, my Heavy Weapon Team choices are limited - Lascannon, Heavy Bolter, or Missile Launcher. As for the Chimera, I assembled them years ago with plastic glue, so I'm kind of stuck with the current weapons loadouts. Any thoughts on this for an all-comers situation?

Combat Patrol is interesting, and it can be hard to make a force that can handle the many different opponents you will face. The game style definitely favors speed. Nothing in your force should ever walk, period, unless it has very good range. I took 2x 5 man tact squads with Grav-Cannons and a Stormtalon to victory in Combat Patrol 4. This had been a deliberate choice based off the rear end beating I got in Combat Patrol #3 earlier in the day. In that I had taken Assault Cents, a Speeder, and some tacticals.

Looks like you have the right idea. You want Heavy Weapon variety, if you don't have a good spread of weapons you can find losing one unit makes you incapable of harming your opponents entire list. In almost every case my opponents had a single unit most threatening to my force whether via strength or range and once it was gone the rest of their force was helpless.

Units like Necron Wraiths and Scat Bikes are easily the most powerful units in combat patrol. Very fast, high points efficient, and proficient in what they do with no true vulnerabilities. As Guard this kind of puts you in a bad place, but I would suggest either hard hitting heavy weapons with good range like Lascannons or mobile weapons like melta guns. Chimeras with their multilasers aren't a bad choice due to their high strength. Wyverns aren't a bad choice but their inability to hurt vehicles can bite you.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

LumberingTroll posted:

CSM get new stuff, anything really, its not good enough so people still complain while Nids and Orks continue to sulk in the corner.

CSM does not need to be buffed to the level of SM, Tau, and Eldar, thats cancer. SM, Tau and Eldar need to be brought to heel. No formation should give free stuff, and I think I may propose to my community that we just wont allow any that give free poo poo. Its awful for balance.

The Chaos Space Marines codex is older than either the Tyranid or Ork codexes, the latter of which is a 7th edition codex. Given that you're saying both of those player groups are "sulking in the corner," I guess it actually does matter if the updated content is good or not, huh? Hell, Orks and Tyranids both got multiple campaign updates in Shield of Baal, Red Waaagh, and Waaagh: Ghazkull. Shouldn't they be happy with those instead of complaining about how what they got isn't good enough?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Chaos Space Marines codex is older than either the Tyranid or Ork codexes, the latter of which is a 7th edition codex. Given that you're saying both of those player groups are "sulking in the corner," I guess it actually does matter if the updated content is good or not, huh? Hell, Orks and Tyranids both got multiple campaign updates in Shield of Baal, Red Waaagh, and Waaagh: Ghazkull. Shouldn't they be happy with those instead of complaining about how what they got isn't good enough?

Orks current codex is 6th edition but "made with 7th in mind". Ghazkull released at the same time as the Codex and has rules that either actively make Orks worse (Da boss iz watchin, and Da biggest and da best) or were gutted by the recent FAQ (Blitz Brigade).

Not saying that CSM don't need love. But just cranking everything up to Tau, SM, and Eldar levels won't fix anything, even if going by the thought process of "if everything is broken, nothing is".

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Floppychop posted:

Orks current codex is 6th edition but "made with 7th in mind". Ghazkull released at the same time as the Codex and has rules that either actively make Orks worse (Da boss iz watchin, and Da biggest and da best) or were gutted by the recent FAQ (Blitz Brigade).

Not saying that CSM don't need love. But just cranking everything up to Tau, SM, and Eldar levels won't fix anything, even if going by the thought process of "if everything is broken, nothing is".

7th edition released in May, 2014. Codex: Orks released in June 2014, more than a month later.

Waaagh: Ghazkull got updated this year with a new formation detachment and formations. Yeah, they're all rear end. But the point is that the quality of the new content actually matters, not that they should have just been happy to get "anything, really."

It's not realistic to expect them to make Tau/SM/Eldar worse, and yes, cranking everything to Tau/SM/Eldar levels will actually fix things by creating a more even playing field.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
I'm a Dark Eldar player and I feel like Commorragh and a few Hive Fleets should get together and crowdfund for assault grenades for our melee dudes.

The poo poo of it is, Dark Eldar used to HAVE them. Then the 2014 codex turned phantasm grenade launchers into stupid fart guns that have no effect on more than half of the player base's armies. I just want nice rules for my nice miniatures. :(

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Man what does the internal playtesting meta at GW have to be like for them to continually overvalue Fear as much as they do?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Man what does the internal playtesting meta at GW have to be like for them to continually overvalue Fear as much as they do?
Maybe they forget that marines are immune? I have no idea.

I would just love more insight into their playtesting. It must be fascinating. Or maybe just non-existent. :v:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Potential BFF posted:

I count 15 skulls and that's just from the front view.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Safety Factor posted:

I would just love more insight into their playtesting. It must be fascinating. Or maybe just non-existent. :v:
You know throwing darts is a popular pub-time leisure activity in the UK, right? I don't view this fact and the points values for 40K units to be in any way coincidental.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

I count 15 skulls and that's just from the front view.

When I paint my one I shall be freehanding skulls on the scrolls.

How many does the new Kharn have from the front?

On the rear view he has skull buttocks.

Did they say to the sculptor, "here's the loyalty card, make it something like that please."?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Berzerkmonkey, here is what I'd recommend.

+++ Combat Patrol IG (400pts) +++

++ Astra Militarum: Codex (2014) (Unbound Army (Faction)) (400pts) ++

+ No Battle Role (Troops) (270pts) +

Veterans (135pts) [Flak Armour for Squad, Taurox (50pts), Veteran w/ Grenade Launcher (5pts), Veteran w/ Heavy Flamer (10pts), 6x Veteran w/ Lasgun, Veteran w/ Meltagun (10pts)]
····Veteran Sergeant [Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol]

Veterans (135pts) [Flak Armour for Squad, Taurox (50pts), Veteran w/ Grenade Launcher (5pts), Veteran w/ Heavy Flamer (10pts), 6x Veteran w/ Lasgun, Veteran w/ Meltagun (10pts)]

+ No Battle Role (Fast Attack) (130pts) +

Hellhound Squadron (130pts)
····Bane Wolf (130pts) [Heavy Bolter] or a Regular Hellhound

bij
Feb 24, 2007

SRM posted:

I don't see anything involved with social media there. You fill out a card for the mini, which looks like it works the same way as that punch card at your local sub shop. Get 10 stickers/punches and you get a free sandwich, only this time it's you get the chance to buy a cool mini. I wish it was a free mini but I guess they wanted to make sure nobody gamed the system and got free toys I guess.

The natfka blurb suggested there were instructions for liking stuff on facebook etc. if that's not the case, all the better because that is a baller model.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Takkaryx posted:

It's not that there's 22 skulls that we can see on the mini. It's that there's 7 different sizes of ostensibly human skulls adorning him. I love it :allears:

- Human
- Marine
- Squat
- Ratling
- Primarch
- ?Emperor?
- Ogryn

Makes sense to me. About 7 different skull types for humans in Warhammer universe. :slick:

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
loving humans get all the skulls.

Orks haven't got a skull update in years.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

Maybe they forget that marines are immune? I have no idea.

I think it's a lot of gentleman's agreements in that nobody would dare dream of powergaming or being a dick.

Uroboros posted:

Berzerkmonkey, here is what I'd recommend.

+++ Combat Patrol IG (400pts) +++

++ Astra Militarum: Codex (2014) (Unbound Army (Faction)) (400pts) ++

+ No Battle Role (Troops) (270pts) +

+ No Battle Role (Fast Attack) (130pts) +

Hellhound Squadron (130pts)
····Bane Wolf (130pts) [Heavy Bolter] or a Regular Hellhound
Thanks for the input. The downside of SL is that I don't have the model range for items such as meltaguns or flamers. I'm also trying to get away with not actually buying anything, so this list, while great, would unfortunately require me to buy everything. :(

That's a bummer, as I didn't want to be just one more guy showing up with SMs or Eldar.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think it's a lot of gentleman's agreements in that nobody would dare dream of powergaming or being a dick.

Thanks for the input. The downside of SL is that I don't have the model range for items such as meltaguns or flamers. I'm also trying to get away with not actually buying anything, so this list, while great, would unfortunately require me to buy everything. :(

That's a bummer, as I didn't want to be just one more guy showing up with SMs or Eldar.

Stick with what you got, bring as much mobile yet hard hitting things as you can. Remember you are going to run into beasts, cavalry, etc lots of fast multi wound stuff. You won't win, but you can atleast try to make good of yourself.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

SRM posted:

It was such a good time dude, it was awesome playing in the narrative, and I'm glad we even got to compete for the SRM cup, where I was promptly destroyed by you and MasterSlowPoke. Hanging out with everybody was great, and I hope more east coast goons can make the trip next year.

I'm lookin at you, BuffaloChicken!

Next year, 30k all the way. The hardest part for me is keeping motivation rolling from now to next August, but I'm starting off strong [as usual] and will try and have at least one completed army ready to go. The second hardest part was returning SRM's Ultramarines after they made it back.

Uroboros posted:

Since I am already mooching some bike bits from you guys, any of you happen to have some Librarian tomes that I could mount on the front of my biker Librarians?

Had some luck with the Ravenwing bike parts. The mantles don't fit so well on regular bikes as many of you said, but with cutting in the right parts I was able to get them on there with bolters while making it look pretty seamless.

If you need Ravenwing bits, send me a list of what you need. I've kept most of the discards from my Ravenwing army and can probably hook you up with stuff I'm not using.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Hollismason posted:

I use cat litter, it's for sale every where and makes a good base and takes washes etc.. well. If I want sand or something I go outside to this parking lot and take that.

Basing : It costs literally nothing.

Also, if you eat chicken after wards just boil that poo poo forever then break up the bones after it's dry they look pretty cool on bases especially the larger ones.

You can also just set out some mouse traps outside, then when the rats die and are decomposing boil the skin and everything off and use their carcasses and skulls for basing.

Dead birds are useful as well.

See a Dead bird on the road , take that poo poo home. Boil all that outside by the way.

Reminder that this guy is weird.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, Hollismason :allears:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JackMack posted:

When I paint my one I shall be freehanding skulls on the scrolls.

Better idea: write tiny text saying SKULL SKULL SKULL on them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I was like "eh cat litter is pretty weird but I guess it could work for pebbles if you already own cats and have a bag around and thoroughly clean them, chicken bones is ok bones are pretty cheap to buy but whatever works"

Then the mousetraps and dead birds...:stare:

Pierzak posted:

Better idea: write tiny text saying SKULL SKULL SKULL on them.

Use a magnifying glass and draw an ascii skull using the word SKULL

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

I was like "eh cat litter is pretty weird but I guess it could work for pebbles if you already own cats and have a bag around and thoroughly clean them, chicken bones is ok bones are pretty cheap to buy but whatever works"

Then the mousetraps and dead birds...:stare:

The next step in that logic would have been to kidnap children and/or small-to-medium sized pets and turn their bones into terrain features.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I brought my superglue to nova for random repairs but it 'sploded on the airplane (lucky it did not leak out of the plastic bag). I was looking around amazon to try and fill $35 to get free same day shipping on my new bottle.

And I stumbled uppon this:
https://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Tab...ords=gaming+mat

It's only $60 for the mat and the bag + prime shipping. That's almost half the cost of FAT mats. I have a FAT mat, and I really like it. I was wondering if anyone has one of these knock offs and if it's similar quality.
I need a grassy mat for all the WoK and KoW MSP and I play.

(I gave up on trying to get $35 and shipped my glue on the terrible 2 day option. Gah, gently caress this world!)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
free shipping went up to $50, anyways. Unless they reverted that.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893
New painter here. I have a really stupid question - how do I tell, on my Space Wolf marines, the difference between a mold line and armor plating?

The legs, for instance, look like there are lines down the pants / plate of the power armor. I can't tell if this is purposeful or if it's a mold line. It looks purposeful to me like it's a plating of the power armor.

Does anyone have examples of mold lines I can see?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Anasurimbur posted:

New painter here. I have a really stupid question - how do I tell, on my Space Wolf marines, the difference between a mold line and armor plating?

The legs, for instance, look like there are lines down the pants / plate of the power armor. I can't tell if this is purposeful or if it's a mold line. It looks purposeful to me like it's a plating of the power armor.

Does anyone have examples of mold lines I can see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfToNrfoDh4&t=105s

This video is a good example. Most marine plate detail is recessed.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah the lines down the sides of each leg are mold lines, both the ones on the inside and outside. They're usually the most egregious mold lines on the marine model. The line that runs over the top of the helmet perpendicular to the crest is also a mold line.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

TTerrible posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfToNrfoDh4&t=105s

This video is a good example. Most marine plate detail is recessed.

So, in between their legs and running up the side of their legs there appears to be a consistent bump / raise. I can't tell if that's a mold line. I'll see if I can get a detailed shot here soon - my desk is an absolute mess and viewing it would be like looking into the Eye of Terror right now.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah the lines down the sides of each leg are mold lines, both the ones on the inside and outside. They're usually the most egregious mold lines on the marine model. The line that runs over the top of the helmet perpendicular to the crest is also a mold line.

Awesome. That is incredibly helpful. I'm lucky in that the Space Wolves seem to have more unique looking heads and thus limited mold lines. Still, a few definitely have helmets that might contain them so I'll take a look. Thank you for this.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The mould line is created where the two halves of the mould meet (sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here) so you can usually spot it and follow it around the whole model unbroken.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
NOVA TRIP REPORT

First things first, NOVA was an awesome time. SexCannon, WhiteOutMouse, and MasterSlowPoke are all good dudes, and I'm already looking forward to going next year. There were a stupid number of events going on for pretty much any game system you could want, and the level of painting and modeling in a lot of the armies I saw was pretty stunning. The 40k GT was probably the only event I walked by with any unpainted models on the table, but there were still some excellent armies and display boards there.

Anyway, time for battle reports! My first game was against Ashley, one of the hosts of 40k Radio, and he had her Space Wolves. Her stuff was all in cases, but here's my 2000 point army which, on sober reflection now, I see a Thunderfire Cannon I didn't pay points for. Welp.

She didn't start with much on the table, just two units of Thunderwolves, a Dreadnought, a unit of Wulfen, and Logan Grimnar in his Santa sleigh.

Our mission was to hold the various objective markers around the map which were worth varying points. The first turn saw me doing a ton of damage to the army, with my Centurions all but wiping out the Wulfen with long range heavy bolter fire while the rest of my army did some damage to the Thunderwolves and Logan. Then her Grey Hunters started dropping in:

Everybody loves setting my poor scouts on fire...

When it came to be my turn again, I was able to take out the new units dropping in fairly easily while also flanking the Thunderwolves with a Tactical Squad and doing some serious damage.

I also put the hurt on Logan once again as he rapidly approached:

On Turn 3 the Thunderwolves finally got into close combat, looking to finish the job against my poor hapless scouts. One scout survived, and when it came time to roll morale...

... he decided it was a good idea to stick around and fight it out. SPOILER: It doesn't end well for the scout.

As the game goes on the Thunderwolves kill the scout and get a really poor consolidation roll, letting them get gunned down by the rest of my army. The last drop pod comes in, but it's too little too late, even if one the one surviving Wulfen killed my entire bike squad after getting power fisted.

At game end, it's a pretty decisive Ultramarines victory, with only a handful of Grey Hunters and a damaged drop pod left on the table.

Next up was a game against TheSexCannon, which was a terrible, terrible matchup given our army compositions. I had a force geared to take out infantry hordes and light vehicles while his army was entirely tanks. Also, gently caress Wyverns. That being said it was still a fun time gaming with him.
I had first turn and I tried to get some maneuvering in:

I fell for the trap of shooting lascannons at AV14:

While he apparently measures his crotch

The scouts have a great view of the sentinels they'll spend the next few turns plinking off of:

A lot of tanks:

These poor schmucks take their one shot with a meltagun, hoping to put a dent in the army (they don't):

Cue a few turns of Wyverns wrecking my poo poo, my Thunderfire shooting back and wrecking one Wyvern, Russes wrecking my vehicles, and Wyverns wrecking my poo poo. Here's the captain and pals shortly before also getting wrecked:

Beep beep

At the end of the game I think there was my Thunderfire cannon left and that was it. I assume after the battle, the crews of the Wyverns were put on trial for war crimes.

More to come later!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:siren: SPACE HULK - DEATHWING - NOVEMBER 2016 :siren:

This is definitely going to get my money, I'm just waiting on a real gameplay video or something. Pre-ordering gets you the Mace of Corswain which is odd because I thought he used a sword. :spergin:

• Locked thread